forum

What is your process?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
WendytheCreeper
How do you guys go about creating your art? Do you have a structured step-by-step process that ultimately leads to your masterpiece? Or do you just go nuts on the canvas?

Feel free to explain it in any way you want! Text, process gif, speedpaint video, up to you!
Ideolo

WendytheCreeper wrote:

just go nuts on the canvas.
[ Zan ]
I pick out resources that I think would fit the theme of the artwork that I planned to make and then make some rough copies (normally 2-3) of how I want it to look, then I just pick the best one and work on that by going crazy
CsavarNat16
Using references and then..

Ideolo wrote:

WendytheCreeper wrote:

DJNightmare

CsavarNat16 wrote:

Ideolo wrote:

Stefan
I think

Ideolo wrote:

WendytheCreeper wrote:

is the most common way people are working. And personally I think also the best result at the end.
DJNightmare

Stefan wrote:

I think

WendytheCreeper wrote:

is the most common way people are working. And personally I think also the best result at the end.
OH SHIT, EVERYBODY's SECRET IS REVEALED \o/
VoidnOwO
:oops:
Bweh
The process varies on what you're working on.

You can afford to go nuts on the canvas when doing something you're used to drawing, but that's not guaranteed to get you good results. It could work out, though you might need to re-draw the thing several times. It's not exactly a bad thing—you might learn something you wouldn't have otherwise—but you can at least try to save yourself some time and give it some proper thought. Plus if you're not drawing anything you're not used to, you probably won't learn anything by diving head-first.

The more time you spend contemplating on it, the less time you'll spend reconsidering things as you're drawing/carving/painting a piece, and you might only need to do it once or twice.

For example, suppose I want to do a dynamic shot of a girl's underwear as a gust of wind lifts up her skirt just when she's about to pick up a penny off the ground. I know how to draw girls as well as underwear, but that dynamic shot will pose a problem in perspective and anatomy. It'd be a really terrible bitch if I was shading in the stripes when all of a sudden I realize this girl's arm is three times longer than her body.

If I was really eager I'd just try to sketch it up as soon as possible, placing guidelines for the body all over the place and make sure I put that ass between the bottom right corner and dead center. If I wanted to be a bit more careful—which I rarely am—I'd review some perspective, recall what a vanishing point is, and then review some female anatomy.

Once all the necessary things are in my head, I try to jot some of these down somewhere to make sure I keep them in mind—things like texture, color, lighting, angle, depth, etc. Afterwards it's a matter of

>guidelines and contours

Here I sketch in the basic structure or skeleton of the piece. I take care to stroke as lightly as possible, using an HB or 2B pencil. If necessary, I set up things such as vanishing points, marks for certain features (windows, stripes, facial), and crosshatched areas for shading later on.

>features and details

Here I trace over the sketched shapes using greater force, usually with a 2B pencil. I try to only stroke once over a line, so as to not make it cluttered and unclean.

>shading, lighting, and color

Finally, I start filling in tones, from darkest to lightest. In cases where there'd be clothing or rock, I try to mimic the texture. If I plan to color the thing, instead I fill in and work on each color one by one.

It's essential for me to complete the piece in my mind first before putting it on paper. If I haven't thought it through completely, hoping that the piece finishes itself, I might end up regretting something when I'm sticking it into the scanner (or a few days later)
Topic Starter
WendytheCreeper
Prior to making art, I tend to want to know a general direction of what I'm drawing. If I'm unfamiliar with the subject I'm drawing, then I randomly doodle them a few times.

Then, I make a sketch, line it, and before doing ANY coloring, I make sure I establish a basic background for coloring purposes. Then I just color, finish the background, and do various asjustments to make it look better.

Afterwards, I like to admire my art before I think,"I should make something better." I think it's very important that one takes a moment to truly appreciate what they have made, because it leaves you more satisfied as an artist than to think that your work is crap : )
Daru
Here's my step by step process:

SPOILER

• - Sketch
    - Look at the sketch for a while, decide that it sucks
    - Try to fix sketch
    - Scrap the entire thing and start fresh
    - Sketch
    - Fix minor things
    - Lineart
    - Realize I have homework due tomorrow
    - Homework
    - Oh, it's dinner time
    - Cooking
    - Burn/cut finger on oil/knife
    - Eat
    - Finish homework
    - Try to continue lineart, realize my finger hurts and its 4AM
    - Sleep
    - Classes
    - Homework
    - Lineart
    - Lineart
    - Lineart
    - "Oh, roommates are playing Brawl"
    - Linear- Oh wait it's 3AM
    - Realize something was wrong with sketch
    - Erase relevant bits of lineart and fix sketch
    - Lineartlineartlineart
    - Sleep
    - Forget about drawing for a week because there was a midterm that I forgot about
    - Come back to half-complete lineart
    - Finish lineart
    - "Lineart is finished, good work team!"
    - Classes
    - Coloring
    - Coloring
    - Coloring
    - Oh god this is so fun COLORING
    - COLORING
    - Show to the internet
    - Rinse
    - Repeat

I tend to get caught up in the "construction" of a piece. You need good bones, which is why I spend much more time agonizing about the details of a pose, the overall scene, how it all looks together, as well as various things that would fall under categories with "theory" in their names. So I will spend a week on a sketch but a day or two on coloring the lineart, for example.

One of these days I'll throw up a series of images that shows my process in more detail.
Dexus
Darue, based artist
Topic Starter
WendytheCreeper

Daru wrote:

SPOILER

• - Sketch
    - Try to fix sketch
    - Sketch
    - Fix minor things
    - Lineart
    - Homework
    - Oh, it's dinner time
    - Cooking
    - Eat
    - Finish homework
    - Sleep
    - Classes
    - Homework
    - Lineart
    - Lineart
    - Lineart
    - Lineartlineartlineart
    - Sleep
    - Forget about drawing for a week because there was a midterm that I forgot about
    - Finish lineart
    - Classes
    - Coloring
    - Coloring
    - Coloring
    - COLORING
    - Show to the internet
    - Rinse
    - Repeat

I tend to get caught up in the "construction" of a piece. You need good bones, which is why I spend much more time agonizing about the details of a pose, the overall scene, how it all looks together, as well as various things that would fall under categories with "theory" in their names. So I will spend a week on a sketch but a day or two on coloring the lineart, for example.

One of these days I'll throw up a series of images that shows my process in more detail.
So much lineart...

I HATE MAKING LINEART. Yet I consider it important, so I put up with it anyway...
Aoriki

Daru wrote:

SPOILER

• - Sketch
    - Try to fix sketch
    - Sketch
    - Fix minor things
    - Lineart
    - Homework
    - Oh, it's dinner time
    - Cooking
    - Eat
    - Finish homework
    - Sleep
    - Classes
    - Homework
    - Lineart
    - Lineart
    - Lineart
    - Lineartlineartlineart
    - Sleep
    - Finish lineart
    - Classes
    - Coloring
    - Coloring
    - Coloring
    - COLORING
    - Show to the internet
    - Rinse
    - Repeat
...this explains a lot better then what I can come up with.