forum

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
black citty
This thread is about the anime.

You can talk about the story or the main character.

The opening is awesome i love the opening :)

deadbeat
is she by any chance a stalker?
Topic Starter
black citty
I dont think she is a stalker, she is sometimes shy and crazy.
dNextGen
only 3 replies wtf

i love this show only watched like 4 eps and still interest me so far
Mogsy

deadbeat wrote:

is she by any chance a stalker?
nope. She's just socially awkward and tries to cover up her displeasure with herself and her status by acting as though she wants to become popular, when in reality she just wants to have a friend (and not block herself off from others).

She's kind of the best depiction of social anxiety I've seen in any anime. The show itself is a well-done dark comedy but she's such a well-written, sympathetic character.
Navizel
Every episode impresses me everytime. Especially ep6 because this song.

The Winner Man
I watch the show out of pure pity. It's so pitiful you can't stop watching.
Opticallusion
Does anyone else wonder why people like this girl? I mean she's just disgusting and watching her is actually painful. That said, the show is hilarious, but I don't like Tomoko like a lot of people do. Is it out of pity, or can people relate to Tomoko a little too much?
NoHitter
^ Well IMO its a bit of both. Some of her antics I could relate to, but others are just a bit... too much to the point, like you said, its painful to watch.

I dropped the show after some episodes (I think it was 5 or 6), and probably won't watch it unless friends of mine tell me that some sort of development occurs at the end. For a show like this where the main character is attempting to "change" herself by all means she can, it would be a bad for her to remain a static character.

@Mogsworth:
What I see as a hindrance to her actually making friends is probably her "pride". She's sour-graping a lot when it comes to seeing other people socializing. She actually pretty likeable when she doesn't go around criticizing people in her mind (e.g. her outing with her middle school friend). Pretty much all she has to do is just talk to them -_-
UnderminE
Haven't even started watching, but i probably will keep reading the manga.
Mogsy

NoHitter wrote:

@Mogsworth:
What I see as a hindrance to her actually making friends is probably her "pride". She's sour-graping a lot when it comes to seeing other people socializing. She actually pretty likeable when she doesn't go around criticizing people in her mind (e.g. her outing with her middle school friend). Pretty much all she has to do is just talk to them -_-
Well, here's the thing: she is afraid to talk to people, and she comes off as uppity and prideful because she's trying to hide the fact that they have what she can't, because she's afraid to talk to people. It's a bit difficult for someone who doesn't understand social anxiety to understand her character, but personally, I do get why she does what she does. She's trying to seem higher than other people simply so she doesn't just keep spiraling, it's a sort of coping mechanism. An unhealthy one that will lead her down an even further path of pain, sure, but it's a common thing.

Also, for people like her, even just talking to people is a very difficult challenge that basically requires tremendous courage and/or therapy to start overcoming. Understand that not everybody operates the same way and that "just talking to people" is not as easy as it seems for certain people.

Finally: she does show growth. It's just that her condition is so severe that everything a normal person would see as simple is a huge step for her. The outing with her friend was a huge point of growth, along with, oddly enough, even her scene with the boys who ended up leaving her an umbrella.
Tari
The anime looks scary, and poor girl she looks so SAD and DEAD.
Mikelicious
I want a gf like her, srsly.
Lust

-MikexD- wrote:

I want a gf like her, srsly.
whats wrong with you
- Hourai -
Nathanael

Mogsworth wrote:

NoHitter wrote:

@Mogsworth:
Well, here's the thing: she is afraid to talk to people, and she comes off as uppity and prideful because she's trying to hide the fact that they have what she can't, because she's afraid to talk to people. It's a bit difficult for someone who doesn't understand social anxiety to understand her character, but personally, I do get why she does what she does. She's trying to seem higher than other people simply so she doesn't just keep spiraling, it's a sort of coping mechanism. An unhealthy one that will lead her down an even further path of pain, sure, but it's a common thing.

Also, for people like her, even just talking to people is a very difficult challenge that basically requires tremendous courage and/or therapy to start overcoming. Understand that not everybody operates the same way and that "just talking to people" is not as easy as it seems for certain people.

Finally: she does show growth. It's just that her condition is so severe that everything a normal person would see as simple is a huge step for her. The outing with her friend was a huge point of growth, along with, oddly enough, even her scene with the boys who ended up leaving her an umbrella.
Reading this makes me have more interest in watching the series.. ( My personality seems similar )
Apex_old

Mogsworth wrote:

She is arrogant, because she's afraid to talk to people. It's a bit difficult for someone who doesn't understand social anxiety to understand her character, but personally, I do get why she does what she does. She's trying to seem higher than other people simply so she doesn't just keep spiraling, it's a sort of coping mechanism. An unhealthy one that will lead her down an even further path of pain, sure, but it's a common thing.

I smell autism here...
Nathanael

Apex wrote:

I smell autism here...
Yes, what you just underline was my problem in my real life. ._.
Anyways, I'm downloading already..
anthag
I really dislike some parts when she goes a bit to far when insulting people in her mind.
Though I have to say that the more heartwarming moments like on the festival and some times with her brother are reallt nice to watch.

I don't really get why her class freezes her out like that. I mean sure, she may seem a bit awkward to approach but I haven't seen anyone except the teachers try to event talk to her
Vyander
When does this season end ? (asking about this makes me sad haha) :(
The Joker
I did watch this anime, until it just got really dumb. The things she would do and say to some people just really annoyed me lol
onlice1
By watching that you will know the meaning of "people will die if they are killed"→→→"if you seek for death, you will get it.“ In chinese you can say”不做死就不会死“ :)
Mistercool121
i liked this anime i found it funny :P
Maiz94
Haven't watch the anime yet but still reading/following the manga. :?
Gonna try the anime soon. :3
Mogsy

Apex wrote:

I smell autism here...
Quoting this over a week later, but it's not. Social anxiety can seemingly show up on the autism spectrum due to a lack of developed response to social cues, but they're completely different disorders. One primarily involves not understanding social cues, the other involves being so afraid of how people would respond that you are unable to form a proper response and are afraid of personal interaction. Recognize the difference, since the character in question is one that I wouldn't call autistic.

OT: The manga and anime are very close in terms of comparison, so hey. It's an accurate adaptation that also works exceptionally well in anime form.
Lust

Mistercool121 wrote:

There are several stages of watamote:

1) You'll find it funny and want to keep watching it
2) Then you start to relate to the awkward situations the MC gets in to
3) You then start wondering about your own life and ponder if you and the MC are the same person
4) The anime gets increasingly creepier as you realize this is a documentary on your life
5) You drop the anime

well that happened for me anyways
The Joker

Lust wrote:

Mistercool121 wrote:

There are several stages of watamote:

1) You'll find it funny and want to keep watching it
2) Then you start to relate to the awkward situations the MC gets in to
3) You then start wondering about your own life and ponder if you and the MC are the same person
4) The anime gets increasingly creepier as you realize this is a documentary on your life
5) You drop the anime

well that happened for me anyways

I only did steps 1 and 5 lol. Didn't really relate to the MC
- Hourai -
Heso
I related to this character more than I did to any other anime character. I thought Hikigaya from Oregairu was my perfect resemblance, but this one is actually more like me. Even though she's a girl -- Therefore our interests differ a bit, for example she loves otome games -- I still see in her a reflection of my past self.
anthag
Aww... Now it's over. It was a funny anime with quite a lot of awkward situations, but as every anime it has its end. Thanks for the anime! Arigatou Gozaimashita~
Navizel
Imae best girl. Anime was a good ride. giving it an 8/10
- Hourai -
I hope they'll create season 2 ! :D
show more