forum

Which finger do you use when playing 3rd/4th (Space) in 5/7K

posted
Total Posts

How do you press 4th (Space) Key?

Left Space (Using left hand thumb/other fingers)
49.09%
Right Space (Using right hand thumb/other fingers)
36.36%
Both Space (Using both hand fingers like playing taiko)
9.09%
Other (I'm playing with other key layout unrelevant with spaces like ZSXDCFV)
5.45%
Total votes: 275
Topic Starter
xxbidiao
Just a simple survey to see how everyone here press the space.

Since currently mirror mod can't be found anywhere, space layout in the map sometimes could be extremely injustice for different players.
When some map can easily be played by LS (left space) players, it would be nightmare for RS(right space) players.

And it's a good chance to see how many people are playing line-up key layout XD

Chinese:
亲,你们是左空[选1]还是右空[选2]还是双空[选3]还是奇葩玩家不用空格[选4]?

投票吧
Davteezy
I still use my right hand thumb to play left hand dominant charts. Though I would like a mirror mod because sometimes one side is too dense for one of my keyboards.
Bobbias
I'm right handed, so it felt natural to use 4 fingers on my better hand. Sometimes I wish I'd learn to use both thumbs, but then I realize I'd be absolutely terrible at the game for ages if I forced myself to relearn to play that way.
Nathanael
I usually use my right thumb to press the space bar but I currently practice pressing the space bar depending on the pattern of the falling notes so its either left or right thumb for me.
Entozer

xxbidiao wrote:

Since currently mirror mod can't be found anywhere, space layout in the map would be extremely injustice for different players.
When some map can easily be played by LS (left space) players, it would be nightmare for RS(right space) players.
This one. I always have this in mind whenever I map. But, I really think that the "injustice" for the other kind of player is really minimal. True, it may play differently, but it shouldn't be that much different unless you have an unbalanced note density for each hand. In any other situations, it's really rare to find a handicap for the other player.

I can only think of one example and that is the map Earth Quake from o2jam. Everyone I know (who uses the right thumb) has a hard time playing it without a mirror mod, while players who uses the left thumb has it easy on its original patterns.

I'm right handed, and I use my right thumb for pressing the middle key.
Bobbias
I totally forgot about mirror. There are definitely quite a few charts that mod can change the feel of.
Aelya_old
I'm a left-handed person who uses the left thumb exclusively.

I tried to play some easy maps with the right thumb, it didn't go well at all (as expected, of course) and I guess I'm too lazy to keep practicing... :p
kuuderes_shadow
I don't use space but I use my right thumb. When I'm typing I use my left thumb on the spacebar, though.
Hanyuu
Hm im right-handed but i use the left thumb for the spacebar
Topic Starter
xxbidiao

Entozer wrote:

This one. I always have this in mind whenever I map. But, I really think that the "injustice" for the other kind of player is really minimal. True, it may play differently, but it shouldn't be that much different unless you have an unbalanced note density for each hand. In any other situations, it's really rare to find a handicap for the other player.

I can only think of one example and that is the map Earth Quake from o2jam. Everyone I know (who uses the right thumb) has a hard time playing it without a mirror mod, while players who uses the left thumb has it easy on its original patterns.

I'm right handed, and I use my right thumb for pressing the middle key.
Okay this word is somewhat too fierce. However, this case does exist :o

My recent example comes from EZ2ON, where 5K Kamui SHD come in this pattern at the end of the map:
(13)(5)(13)(45)(13)(5)(13)(5)... (All 1/4 in 210 BPM)
With LS,13 would be treated as a same-time block all on the left hand, with 5 on the other hand, making it a relatively simple LRLRLRLR...rush.
However, with RS it would be treated as 35353535... A single-hand drill plus 11111... as additional handicap, making the pattern harder to be played.
Entozer

xxbidiao wrote:

Okay this word is somewhat too fierce. However, this case does exist :o

My recent example comes from EZ2ON, where 5K Kamui SHD come in this pattern at the end of the map:
(13)(5)(13)(45)(13)(5)(13)(5)... (All 1/4 in 210 BPM)
With LS,13 would be treated as a same-time block, with 5 on the other hand, making it a relatively simple LRLRLRLR...rush.
However, with RS it would be treated as 35353535... A single-hand drill plus 11111... as additional handicap, making the pattern harder to be played.
Aah. My bad, I forgot about those kind of things. I was thinking of Long-note balance issues with the hand.

I remember another song from o2jam (Festival of the ghost 2). One of it's patterns is are like that, though at a lower BPM (140). I guess I never really noticed it because at that time, I never looked into the possibility of people using left thumb for the middle key. ;_;

I think players will never notice if the map was left-hand oriented or right-hand oriented though. They should think of it as a challenge xD
Bobbias

Entozer wrote:

I think players will never notice if the map was left-hand oriented or right-hand oriented though. They should think of it as a challenge xD
That's exactly how I approach things when I realize a pattern is left hand biased. I just see it as a challenge that needs to be overcome. I also believe that in learning to play left hand biased patterns, I become a better player overall.
Aqo

Hanyuu wrote:

Hm im right-handed but i use the left thumb for the spacebar
this ^

it actually surprises me to see most people find it normal to use right thumb :o somehow left one feels a lot more natural

also as somebody new to mania I never notice stuff like favoritism to either hand in maps. If there's any pattern that's hard to input I just make a practice map which is a copypaste of that pattern for the entire song and then play that until it isn't hard anymore.
It sounds weird to imagine that a map would become easier or harder by flipping the sides; even weirder to see mappers try to account for stuff like this. At least from playing RN mod, it doesn't make that big of a difference when lanes shift around.

The relativity between notes on columns across rows (whether it's a jackhammer or spread notes, how often does a note repeat on same column through a pattern, etc) feels like it has a lot to do with how the map feels whereas how the columns are actually spread around doesn't feel like it changes much.
Bobbias

Aqo wrote:

It sounds weird to imagine that a map would become easier or harder by flipping the sides; even weirder to see mappers try to account for stuff like this. At least from playing RN mod, it doesn't make that big of a difference when lanes shift around.
Speaking from experience, it very much can make a difference. Hell, some charts in o2jam are considered easier with random because of hand biased patterns. Flipping charts that aren't symmetrical can make a noticeable difference sometimes.
Doorknob_old
Right handed, left thumb for the middle key.

Although in 7k, since the middle key is treated as a special key and in 8k I use the left side as a special key, in rare cases I alternate using my right thumb on right alt key and space key for the left. More often then not when its used however, is to bypass the 6 key limitation my keyboard has to press 7 lines of longnotes.
Drace
I use both since i was brought up that way with DJMAX

7k in DJMAX worked something like asd [special] kl; where special could be hit with either f or j. It wasn't uncommon for the middle row to be jack-y.

Just a habit and I end up using both without really anything of it
Bobbias
That explains why the djmax charts I've seen feel different lol.
Topic Starter
xxbidiao

Aqo wrote:

The relativity between notes on columns across rows (whether it's a jackhammer or spread notes, how often does a note repeat on same column through a pattern, etc) feels like it has a lot to do with how the map feels whereas how the columns are actually spread around doesn't feel like it changes much.
Actually on somewhere else (LR2) nearly every player using keyboard plays nearly every song with RD.

(This is a screenshot adopted from ranking of Angel Dust (Abyss), a really hard song. With second OP column lies on the very right, showing "乱"(Random) or "镜" (Mirror), they have shuffled their map. With the input column showing KB(Keyboard) No one in this picture use "正" (No mod). This is a common situation in nearly every hard enough song.)

This is because some patterns are of the same density and the same hold-note rate but are harder than other patterns just because location are shifted.
Take this as an example:
(1) 123-567-123-567-123-567
(2) 135-246-135-246-135-246

The first one is a single burst period where you just push left hand all, push right hand all and repeated back and forth, it's just a beginner pattern.
However, the second one is hell for everyone.

So this is already an interesting fact that column matters in map dififculty in one way or another. With RD mod a map would go far harder (or sometimes far easier) in one way or another. (This is why RD is unrankable said by woc2006)
PyaKura
Interesting stuff's going on here.
I'm surprised to see that more people prefer using their left thumb over their right one.
Bobbias

PyaKura wrote:

Interesting stuff's going on here.
I'm surprised to see that more people prefer using their left thumb over their right one.
That surprised me too. My left hand is bad enough as it is, I can't imagine trying to use it to hit 4 different buttons instead of 3 :/
Hanyuu
Now go ahead and add the special key on the left pinky finger ;)
Thinking of it now, maybe i should go and try to play special key on the right pinky but i think im too fixed on it now and it will just throw me out too much.
Sorry for the kind of offtopic

Edit: oh my, this feels sooo much more confortable to play. I have no idea why i never tried to play scratch on right side. this feels so much more relaxing to play allthough i have a few hicups now, shifting 1 column to far to the left with my button presses and need to get used this but this feels sooo much better and less stressfull to play.