forum

Why nobody likes classical music?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
CristopherDLC
All they like is the new pop music. Why? Classical music is way better.
Justykanna
It sorta depends how old of an age group you're referring to and the environment that said person grew up in.
silmarilen
because we have a topic for this already t/83187
mathexpert
Most Pop songs are commercialized, simple, easily relatable, catchy, and easy to digest. Therefore it's a good choice for shopping malls, grocery stores, etc. It's engineered to appeal to as many people as possible, hence why the full name is "popular music". The singers are also subsequently celebrities, which increases public awareness of their songs. Pop music is perceived as modern and current by many.

Most classical pieces, on the other hand, are complex, full of nuanced emotions, and requires a lot of thought to really understand.
Many people therefore, can't understand it and think it's boring or dull. Which is why the popularity of Classical music is on a decline. In addition, most composers are dead, and dead people tend to fade with time. The remaining contemporary composers can be rather avant-garde and individualistic, alienating average listeners. Classical is perceived as old fashioned and dated by many.

Of course, there are examples that might contradict what I'm saying. But this is just how I see it.
It's sort of sad that the only exposure most people have to classical music are while watching movies and standing in elevators, despite the fact that access to this beautiful art form is easier than ever before with the internet.
Birdy
But I do.

Also what slimfast said.
Moriya Suwako
I think that is due to the cultural stuffs. Yeah, most people prefer to listen to the music that straightly reflects their actual lives...well, see, most classical music's centers are really far away from our daily lives: mostly they are from hundreds years ago...and if you say contemporary classical music, they are just too complex, too irregular to be accepted by most people.
Well, actually I am a classical music fan~but I think we need to accept pop or rock music since they offer us stuffs of mass cultures. :D

Btw There're actually some classical music fans in osu community~you can find them here: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/83187
Topic Starter
CristopherDLC
Ok.
Hula
Man, you're so edgy for liking classical. Music is a defining trait of a culture.
Kanye West
Pop music defines our culture and era.

I like both. Honestly it's not even that bad, but ~opinions~
dNextGen
im a fucking 17 year old why would i like music for 50 year old hag
mathexpert

dNextGen wrote:

music for 50 year old hag
you're probably talking about bach, mozart, beethoven, and the like? give contemporary classical a try
regardless of whether you think it's a masterpiece or pretentious garbage I'm pretty sure it'll give any senior citizen a heart attack

some xenakis, to be specific. it's rather similar to Szerencsétlen on Vsnares's "Rossz Csillag Alatt Született" album. The timbres and rhythm is different (obviously, b/c that's breakcore) but the sort of demonic chaotic "shit hitting the fan" feeling is still there. And, it's all acoustic and played w/ real instruments.
mathexpert
...and, that's sort of the problem. The perception of classical music is that it's this old fashioned and boring thing, but in reality there's so much classical music that's maybe not as mainstream that just goes past the radar.

Just like how EDM is not just goddamn nightcore and brostep, there's ambient, idm, breakcore, minimal, glitch, industrial, etc

Classical is not just Bach and Mozart, there's Ravel, Liszt, Sorabji, Rachmaninoff, Schoenberg, Debussy, Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky

(double post, but whatever. I'm making a separate point.)
dNextGen
yes i know dude,dont take it 2seriously

i still listen to Frog Pocket though if that counts as classical
Dafydd
It's not that they don't like it all. There are many good contemporary keyboardists/pianists nowadays who started from classical music. Besides, if i'm not mistaken, there are a number of songs today that were inspired by classical pieces.

Or people's tastes just differ...
Tari
Classical music is awesome.

If you can depict it.
Shohei Ohtani
Are you saying that classical music is better because you actually like it, or because you want to be cool and edgy? :P

A lot of people don't like it because they're into lyrics. I'm not like this, but a lot of people that I talk to listen to songs for the words. Classical music doesn't really have words (Unless you're trying to do opera, but I don't even like opera lol.).

Also, a lot of people don't really like it because it can get boring really easily. I had to do some studying on this one orchestral piece, and it's 1 hour long in 3 movements. If I were sitting in a performance hall listening to it, I would be hyped, but when I'm on my computer, trying to jam out, that's not a piece I'd really wanna listen to :P

Granted, I'm starting to get into listening to it more because I'm in school now to be trained as a classical tuba player and instructor, and all of my dormmates are incredibly into listening to classical music and stuff, but still.

There's certain emotions that come from different kinds of music. That's why people go towards different genres, and that's why I listen to different music when I'm sad than when I'm happy. Classical music for me is more of a kind of "Wow that's really cool I want to play that on my instrument" type of feeling, while pop music is more of like "Wow this is an upbeat song, I am happy, look at how nice the language is with the music". People register music differently, but many people see pop music in that "wow happy happy" kind of thing, which people obviously like. You can use this with any form of music. For instance, if I was like "Why don't people like rock music they only like classical", it can be because people feel better when listening to pop music rather than rock

i have no idea what im talking about
mathexpert

dNextGen wrote:

yes i know dude,dont take it 2seriously

i still listen to Frog Pocket though if that counts as classical
i wasnt specifically talking 2you in my 2nd post

And, it's quite sad for me that such a beautiful genre of music is dying. Classical music is sort of a passionate thing for me.
frog pocket is not classical

CDFA wrote:

A lot of people don't like it because they're into lyrics. I'm not like this, but a lot of people that I talk to listen to songs for the words. Classical music doesn't really have words (Unless you're trying to do opera, but I don't even like opera lol.).
This probably has some truth. For me, though, I tend to prefer music without lyrics. This is sort of because I pay more attention to instrumental part of music (eg rhythm, timbres, harmonies, etc), and music that predominately has lyrics tend to make the lyrics the star of the song and the instrumental part takes a back seat, it's used to back up the lyrics.

so much of the lyrics in pop music is meaningless and generic, anyways.
D33d
Honestly, when talking about the actual Classical period, it's actually rather bland. Pleasant, but bland--it was designed to be pleasing entertainment music, just like the rock, folk and electronic music of today. As said, the seriously intense and nuanced stuff is beyond the scope of a lot of people and they either don't understand it or they don't have the patience for it. Plus, there's no catchy vocal refrain for braindead tits to sing for no reason.

Of course, it doesn't help when dross like Classic FM insists on playing all of the drab music and Disney themes all of the time. People hear the most played-out and otherwise unengaging examples incidentally and write off entire periods as being stale and lifeless. Anything that's recognisable from a film or whatever might be enjoyed in an "ooh ain't that cute" sort of way, or is otherwise pigeon holed with some kind of franchise.
Jarby

D33d wrote:

Of course, it doesn't help when dross like Classic FM insists on playing all of the drab music and Disney themes all of the time.
I wouldn't complain about Disney FM to be quite honest.
Kareov
lol
xsrsbsns
Young people nowadays have shorter attention spans (due to gadgets/internet and just the speedy nature of the modern world) that is why they are easily bored and distracted, and prefer upbeat music. Classical music is probably too calm and boring except for times when they are intentionally relaxed.
D33d

xsrsbsns wrote:

Young people nowadays have shorter attention spans (due to gadgets/internet and just the speedy nature of the modern world) that is why they are easily bored and distracted, and prefer upbeat music. Classical music is probably too calm and boring except for times when they are intentionally relaxed.
This. It's sad enough that lots of younger people even think that, say, disco and funk are too slow and tedious, when it has a far better groove than a lot of today's music. Many people's reaction to Daft Punk's latest album went along the lines of, "omg how do I dance to this it's soooooo slow." Asinine little shits.
mathexpert

D33d wrote:

xsrsbsns wrote:

Classical music is probably too calm and boring except for times when they are intentionally relaxed.
This.
THIS IS NOT TRUE please, refer to my post on the first page. It's not inherently calm and boring, but rather that's only the public's opinion on it.

D33d wrote:

Honestly, when talking about the actual Classical period, it's actually rather bland. Pleasant, but bland
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Please don't try to establish your opinion as a fact. Musically, mozart and the like might be a bit bland to some but some of Beethoven's work is fucking crazy.
Also, bland music is found in every genre.
These 2 pieces in particular were written years after Beethoven's gradual loss of hearing started to settle in. It's possible that his frustration is reflected in these pieces.

Also, these pieces are not outliers. There are many, many others that do not sound like fur elise or moonlight 1st movement.
xsrsbsns
Uh what, precisely, I'm talking about the public.
D33d

mathexpert wrote:

D33d wrote:

This.
THIS IS NOT TRUE please, refer to my post on the first page. It's not inherently calm and boring, but rather that's only the public's opinion on it.

D33d wrote:

Honestly, when talking about the actual Classical period, it's actually rather bland. Pleasant, but bland
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Please don't try to establish your opinion as a fact. Musically, mozart and the like might be a bit bland to some but some of Beethoven's work is fucking crazy.
Also, bland music is found in every genre.
These 2 pieces in particular were written years after Beethoven's gradual loss of hearing started to settle in. It's possible that his frustration is reflected in these pieces.

Also, these pieces are not outliers. There are many, many others that do not sound like fur elise or moonlight 1st movement.
Context. I was referring to the perception of it.

I'd also like to point out that most of Beethoven's work, especially his later stuff, was straight-up Romantic/Late Romantic period. That is not Classical period. There is a difference. Learn it. I know that not all orchestral music is drab and I've studied two symphonies in very thorough detail--Mozart's last and Mahler's fourth. Mozart's was quite interesting in that it got a lot more expressive and emotional, but it was still quite reserved in its approach. Mahler's was simply brilliant. I highly recommend it--maybe I should buy his works some day.

Also, the low horns in Mahler's 'Symphony no.3' are absolutely gorgeous. The trombone solo is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

Have the full 'Symphony no.4' as well. The story is about a boy who gets fiddled by a fiddler. It's great.

Jarby
57 minutes? where's the drop???
dNextGen
xsrsbsns knows his shit

classical music 2boring no drop no bass no kick no snare dead genre
iantanye
Because most people are plebs with shite taste
mathexpert
I can tell you have good taste just by looking at your avatar
PeeweeKagamine-
you all havent heard of skrillex? XD
Professor Prinny
Times change.
Even music in ages past have undergone drastic changes and movements to what we have today.
It's the past that influences the future.
But for now, its Pop music that rules on the mainstream circuit. Despite how much a lot of them suck these days. *Runs*

IMO, I'd prefer it if classical music remained with a niche audience because young people (myself included) tend to look down upon the past and also if classical music was mainstream now it wouldn't best represent the current generation as a whole.

Mind you I like classical music myself.
andromeda2020
Hey I like classical music.
daredakke
I don't listen to classical much, but I do enjoy pieces which involve strings.

Violins man.

Gotta love 'em.
Teeki_old
I despise Pop music, I stick to Rock, Metal, Trance, and Jazz.
D33d

Teeki wrote:

I despise Pop music, I stick to Rock, Metal, Trance, and Jazz.
I hope you realise that they all fall/fell under the same "popular" bracket.
Apex_old
untitled
neonat
Nobody likes classical music? Nah. We just don't go around saying that. Unless you're crazy over it of course.
Birdy

Apex wrote:

Monstercat.
Please leave.
Mogsy

Apex wrote:

Classical music takes too long to listen and enjoy too. Today we are too busied by the fast-paced environment to enjoy good things.
"oh no i have to put in time and effort to listen to something!!"

This attitude annoys me when it comes to this type of music. :|
Sheepsticks
Everyone loves classical music. They just don't talk about it. ;)