forum

Is it ok to use default skin?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Amefuri Koneko
Or there're already better options in terms of readability and accuracy? Can some good players share their own skins here? :3
VoidnOwO
How to define a good player when rankings are only based on 7k ;__;

Default skin has some distracting things like the vertical lines between columns and the flash every time you hit a key, imo.

It's not mine, but I use this skin: p/2135158
With the hitsounds of this skin: t/106400
It's a mess
Hanyuu
Its ok to use the default one and you can do alot of customization in the ini files to make this easier for yourself or just for your preference :)
Bobbias
It's fine to use the default skin. I would suggest trying a few others, because it's possible you might find a skin that you play better with, or like more, but it's really just personal preference. I use an o2jam skin because I felt like the pink notes in the default were hard to see compared to the blue notes in the o2jam skin.
xxbidiao
I don't like using default skin because I mainly use circle style notes in other rhythm games played before.

( Maybe this is inertia from playing taiko? )

However default style (board style) skin goes well when you play in very low speed or the map force you to see very slow notes (e.g. SV*0.2).
Circle notes are better when complex patterns come in fast speed, and are slightly comfortable to see when playing in a long run (like ~1H). (However I suggest you take a rest when playing 1H)
Agka
The default skin might look a bit ugly, but it's definitely usable, it's even okay to use it.
(The question sounds wrong, as if asking for permission, you should totally edit the thread title to 'Would changing my skin help?' which has a fairly obvious 'it depends', but I'm just being pedantic. :p)

BRBP wrote:

How to define a good player when rankings are only based on 7k ;__;
if you're trying to define a good player overall basing yourself on only one way to play you're doing it wrong
Topic Starter
Amefuri Koneko
Agka, if I edit the title my first post will make no sense XD
Well, I switched to this skin t/148921 and it feels a bit better than default, I changed the stagelight though. Tried circle notes too, a bit easier to read some patterns, but well, people playing Beatmania, DJMax and stuff with bar-like notes, so I guess I will just learn to read them.
Thank you for all the responses ^.^
Bobbias
Try to find the skin that works best for you. It's ok to spend a while checking out different skins until you find one that you feel works out the best.
Hanyuu
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ddamd ... _Mania.rar

Heres the skin im using at the moment, feel free to try it
I think 5k and 6k you need to setup in the ini files since i rarely play them
Tiny Boukensha
yes it is okay to use the default skin
the skin you use will not make you a better player or whatever
if you learn how to play the game you can use ANY skin because that wont make any difference
what im trying to say is
when you learn how to play the game you just KNOW when to press a key so a different skin will have little impact to your gameplay
Bobbias

yurikosaka wrote:

when you learn how to play the game you just KNOW when to press a key so a different skin will have little impact to your gameplay
That's not true, at least at high level. When things get hard enough, the difference between how long it takes you to subconsciously recognize and respond (what you describe as "just knowing") to patterns can affect your performance. With the default skin I perform worse because it takes me longer to recognize the pink notes on column 2 and 6 (in 7k) than on the blue notes in my current skin.

But just because my skin works best for me doesn't mean it will work best for anyone else.
[AyanoTatemaya]
I prefer the default for my mania skin. Thanks to that, I've achieved this rank :)
XPJ38
necrooooooo
let the dead rest in peace