forum

Rock Masters (Tentative Title) - Looking for coders

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ROMaster2
Rock Masters (Tentative Title), a computer game project:

The premise of the game is a PC port of Guitar Hero/Rock Band, but not like Frets on Fire, the system would be more like Osu!], mostly like sharing features that it has and using it on the game. Put more straight, it'd be like Osu! + Guitar Hero.

Unlike Frets on Fire, Rock Masters uses a database system very similar to Osu!. For example, you can download straight from the program itself rather than needing to search for it in the forums like on FoF. It also has a primary setlist made by various charters and are all revised for quality and balance. User made songs will also be the main focus point, you can chart your own songs to be added to the system for everyone else to download. There are many more features, but that would be revealed later.

As of so far, it's only been discussion between me an Thirdkoopa, and we need people who have the skill we seek to make something like this possible:

1. C# Coders (For making the game's magic)
  2. Graphic Designers (For Logos and design)
  3. Website Coders (For the site design and structure)
  4. Song Charters (For songs to be charted, as well as song selection)
  5. Supporters
If you can fit any of these jobs, do not hesitate to message me by PM. This is a non-profit game, so you would work for free, but it is a group project so you'll be adding to it.
If you'll only work for pay, discuss it with me in privacy.

Thank You, I hope we can kick this off.
nardii
I don't really think the world needs yet another RB/GH clone (even though FoF is a mess). If you haven't yet, you should take a look at Unsigned, IMO the one with the most potential out of all current RB/GH-like games.
Topic Starter
ROMaster2

nardi11011 wrote:

I don't really think the world needs yet another RB/GH clone (even though FoF is a mess). If you haven't yet, you should take a look at Unsigned, IMO the one with the most potential out of all current RB/GH-like games.
Yeah it does look kinda cool, but they seem like their dying (their blog even said so).

They're also trying to add characters, which would be an incredibly long and tedious project, but isn't really necessary. They also don't have many songs at all at this point, where I'd like to aim to have ~50 for a solid setlist.

Thanks for the link though.

rage
adam2046
Dude, ROM is this where you've been?
Topic Starter
ROMaster2

adam2046 wrote:

Dude, ROM is this where you've been?
Not really, I "left" because I just lost interest, burnt myself out on Osu I suppose.

I only recently came up with this, and have detailed it out some, just need to see where I can take it.
Loginer
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
[deleted user]

Loginer wrote:

ROMaster2 wrote:

As of so far, it's only been discussion between me an Thirdkoopa, and we need people who have the skill we seek to make something like this possible...
So what are you and Thirdkoopa going to do? Unless you already have something decent to show off or have a lot of good, unique ideas on your minds, don't expect anyone worth their salt to join you.
Well, I'm no coder myself, but I can provide some information about the second one (Ideas), some of them may have already been done by a certain rhythm game, but be reminded as this is a large step for a GH/RB Game on PC, but a small step to rhythm gaming as a whole:

-Last.FM/Skype (Or a program similar) Integration, first one for showing other "Official" Songs/charts you like based upon what you play, and second for voice chat while playing online.
-Band Practice for practicing sections/A better practice mode than what's currently offered.
-A Vocals Engine (Tell me, where else can you do customs on vocals?)
-Built-In Editor (While not big for various sites as Stepmania or Osu!, It's a big thing for the RB/GH PC Ports)
-Supports both GH/RB Sets on drums.
-Possibly two versions, one that strips off most of the features so It'll be easier to run on a not so good computer (Depends how much we have on it; I personally mainly have no problem with Frets on Fire, Osu!, and Stepmania when it comes to lag)

Etc, other features are small to mention/already done by rhythm games (IE Having to get points to get more songs from approved charts, or a possible "Madness"" Mode filled with things like mines) - As said, It's a much bigger step upon PC Port/clones than rhythm gaming/console versions, and after having four instruments, there's not really much else you can do (What, you want a keyboard instrument or Expert+ On guitar? :lol: )

As for what I'm contributing in this? I'm currently a graphic designer/vocals charter for the most part.

Any other questions?
Mashley
Do you two know how to code something like this? What experience do you have?
nardii
Yeah, if none of you two are coders I'd try to find someone else that's interested in the project as soon as possible before getting too much into the other parts of the game, as it's the most important part of the team imo. (Just like starting a fansub group is hard if you can't find a good translator, as I know from experience)
Topic Starter
ROMaster2

Agent Spin Here wrote:

Honestly none, that's why we're looking :?

nardi11011 wrote:

Yeah, if none of you two are coders I'd try to find someone else that's interested in the project as soon as possible before getting too much into the other parts of the game, as it's the most important part of the team imo. (Just like starting a fansub group is hard if you can't find a good translator, as I know from experience)
Yeah, it's pretty clear the coders would be the most important, that's what we're trying to focus on right now.
nardii
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
ROMaster2

nardi11011 wrote:

My advice: learn it yourself first. Getting something basic running isn't as hard as it seems, really. As long you can "think like a computer" and do some research into what's available, creating a basic rhythm game is probably one of the simplest things there is coding-wise. (Mostly because you don't have to create any content, just something to run it.)
I did honestly look for some time, and even downloaded several different eBooks, none of them really helped, I don't have ANY grounds to stand on.
Loginer

ROMaster2 wrote:

Agent Spin Here wrote:

Honestly none, that's why we're looking :?
Give up. Seriously.

None of you can code, none of you seem willing to learn, and your gameplay concept can be described in detail with the sentence "It's Guitar Hero, but... uh, FREE!". Creating a good GH clone would involve a lot of coding and very little graphics design (unless you're going to have 3D stages in the game), and anyone with half a brain who could code the game for you would just do it him/herself instead of sharing the credit with a bunch of people who are not actually doing anything.

If you really want to create your own video game, look into the various roles of game development (programming, various 2D/3D art roles, musical composition etc.), find something you like, focus on it, and pick up a few other important skills while you're at it (e.g. even if you focus on art design, it'd be useful if you knew how to code simple stuff, too). Once you think you're good enough to accomplish something decent, try to think of a good concept, but make sure it's something you could accomplish (for example, if you're bad at level design but good at storytelling and graphics design, you might want to create an RPG or a visual novel).

Once you think you have something good on your hands, you might want to find some other people to fill in the gaps of things you don't know how to accomplish yourself. However, while a good team can help you get things done quickly, a lazy/stupid team will abandon the project at their own leisure, and leak unfinished builds all over the Internet while doing so. As for now, though, you won't get anywhere if you attempt a big project like this. If you desperately want to create a game right now, try something simple, like Pong with some sort of unique twist.

ROMaster2 wrote:

nardi11011 wrote:

My advice: learn it yourself first. Getting something basic running isn't as hard as it seems, really. As long you can "think like a computer" and do some research into what's available, creating a basic rhythm game is probably one of the simplest things there is coding-wise. (Mostly because you don't have to create any content, just something to run it.)
I did honestly look for some time, and even downloaded several different eBooks, none of them really helped, I don't have ANY grounds to stand on.
I don't know the first thing about C# (by the way, if none of you can code, and you don't even have a basic proof-of-concept, then why have you already decided on a programming language?), but if you want to learn some basic C++, I suggest taking a look at these tutorials. The first tutorial may seem a bit confusing, but it's really not that hard once you learn what everything means.
nardii

Loginer wrote:

ROMaster2 wrote:

nardi11011 wrote:

I don't know the first thing about C# (by the way, if none of you can code, and you don't even have a basic proof-of-concept, then why have you already decided on a programming language?), but if you want to learn some basic C++, I suggest taking a look at these tutorials. The first tutorial may seem a bit confusing, but it's really not that hard once you learn what everything means.
I like this site better, but yours is good too.
[deleted user]

Loginer wrote:

None of you can code, none of you seem willing to learn
I would actually first oddly like to thank you for being honest about this, my replies to all the main parts of your post:
About coding - I don't quite have a lot of experience into coding, but I have worked with game design before to a certain extent. (Just this year I assisted a Game Maker camp, and I'm getting into using flash) And I know I haven't said much, but I am willing to learn...I did with gimp/graphic design a year ago, and now I'm a lot better at it than I use to be, and It's made my "Creations" Much better.

Should I mention I'll be watching my dad's lessons on coding at his university as a student? I think that shows that I am willing to learn.

and your gameplay concept can be described in detail with the sentence "It's Guitar Hero, but... uh, FREE!"
Curious here; What qualities original do Osu! Or Stepmania have in that aspect? I clearly haven't seen that much from those (Then again to be fair, I've never played Elite Beat Agents or any of the "Pay" Versions of Osu!, so I'm willing to be corrected)

and anyone with half a brain who could code the game for you would just do it him/herself instead of sharing the credit with a bunch of people who are not actually doing anything.
A bunch? You make it sound like a lot of people, and...
Vocals Charter/Approver (Like you approve beatmaps, except I'm probably gonna end up doing them for all instruments, and making charts to ; ) ), Graphics Artist (We're only looking for one more, as in someone who can design things originally from scratch, which we already got) And I may be able to help coding with this, along with web design.

That's basically doing most of the jobs on the list? I don't see how that's "Not actually doing anything" And hell, like I need any credit. I don't honestly care for the credit in this. The coders can eat it up all they wish (Even If I help in tat end)

If you really want to create your own video game, look into the various roles of game development (programming, various 2D/3D art roles, musical composition etc.), find something you like, focus on it, and pick up a few other important skills while you're at it (e.g. even if you focus on art design, it'd be useful if you knew how to code simple stuff, too). Once you think you're good enough to accomplish something decent, try to think of a good concept, but make sure it's something you could accomplish (for example, if you're bad at level design but good at storytelling and graphics design, you might want to create an RPG or a visual novel).
I see no reason to say no into this, as even If there's a good team working on this in the end, there's no reason I shouldn't improve on things I enjoy doing (Graphic Arts and Game Design)

Once you think you have something good on your hands, you might want to find some other people to fill in the gaps of things you don't know how to accomplish yourself. However, while a good team can help you get things done quickly, a lazy/stupid team will abandon the project at their own leisure, and leak unfinished builds all over the Internet while doing so.
Oh, I may not work with game building teams much, but I absolutely assure you I can relate to the team part. A lazy/stupid team will mess things up. So far from what we have tho, It's a pretty workable team. It's been being discussed over basically everyday.

basic proof-of-concept
This may sound a bit stupid: what exactly do you mean by this? And because a lot of the features that have our interests are made using C#
LuigiHann

Thirdkoopa wrote:

Curious here; What qualities original do Osu! Or Stepmania have in that aspect? I clearly haven't seen that much from those (Then again to be fair, I've never played Elite Beat Agents or any of the "Pay" Versions of Osu!, so I'm willing to be corrected)
While osu! has a ton of original content by now, the two big things separating osu from your project are the following:
1) Nobody had really made a PC game like osu! before peppy did it. There was one attempt, clickBeat, but that was so incomplete that I'd consider it a failed attempt, and peppy didn't even know about it until later.
2) peppy pretty much coded osu on his own. This is important, because if he had went around looking for coders, with nothing to offer beyond "Hey, I want to make a PC version of Ouendan," he would have gotten the same cold reaction you guys are getting now.

I don't know much about Stepmania so I can't answer your questions on that one.

I agree with Loginer on this, honestly. Coding is so central to game creation that asking for coders when you have nothing but an idea is basically saying "hey, who wants to make a game for me?" You might be able to get away with that if you had an extremely compelling or original idea, but when your idea is "like Frets on Fire, but better," it can hardly be said that you have an idea at all.
awp
Not just straight up programming, either. The software design is crucial.

I can churn out code rather well, but I'm an absolute novice at developing good code (I have the knowledge, just need the practice now). If you don't know the core basics about software development, either find someone who does or put this on hold for a year or so while you get some practice in (if you're serious about learning to code, that is). I'd recommend a friendly language like Java or C# if you're new to coding, as well. I'm not familiar with C++ (it's not really similar to anything else I've experienced) but that might be good too?
[deleted user]

LuigiHann wrote:

Thirdkoopa wrote:

While osu! has a ton of original content by now, the two big things separating osu from your project are the following:
1) Nobody had really made a PC game like osu! before peppy did it. There was one attempt, clickBeat, but that was so incomplete that I'd consider it a failed attempt, and peppy didn't even know about it until later.
2) peppy pretty much coded osu on his own. This is important, because if he had went around looking for coders, with nothing to offer beyond "Hey, I want to make a PC version of Ouendan," he would have gotten the same cold reaction you guys are getting now.

I don't know much about Stepmania so I can't answer your questions on that one.

I agree with Loginer on this, honestly. Coding is so central to game creation that asking for coders when you have nothing but an idea is basically saying "hey, who wants to make a game for me?" You might be able to get away with that if you had an extremely compelling or original idea, but when your idea is "like Frets on Fire, but better," it can hardly be said that you have an idea at all.
Oh, this is ironic, I thought loginer meant new as in new features, but loginer meant by new as in something that hasn't been done before in gaming period

and thus giving coders not that much/no motivation. Wups about the misunderstanding. I tend to misinterpret things often. :roll:

But rom and I have made the choice to learn the coding mainly. (With a possible other coder)

As for coding; Yes, I am serious. As for what to start with, would flash/C# Be considered good? I'm getting both for free thanks to my dad once my sister leaves for college.
awp

Thirdkoopa wrote:

I'm getting both for free thanks to my dad once my sister leaves for college.
If someone charges you for C# you should probably shoot them in the head or something. C, C++, C#, Java, they're all free. Flash you (normally) have to pay for, sure, but C# is free. Hell, Microsoft'll let you download a complete IDE for various coding languages. But yeah, C# is a good one to learn. I find Java's API documentation a bit friendlier to navigate, but C# is definitely a good one.
Loginer

awp wrote:

Thirdkoopa wrote:

I'm getting both for free thanks to my dad once my sister leaves for college.
If someone charges you for C# you should probably shoot them in the head or something. C, C++, C#, Java, they're all free. Flash you (normally) have to pay for, sure, but C# is free. Hell, Microsoft'll let you download a complete IDE for various coding languages. But yeah, C# is a good one to learn. I find Java's API documentation a bit friendlier to navigate, but C# is definitely a good one.
I think he's talking about education.
awp
Oh. The Internet is the best way to learn the ins and outs of a programming language imo

Software development principles and practices are separate from language-specific knowledge; that's what misled me.