forum

Weird combo breaking case

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aelya_old
Hello! I'm not sure if this is actually a bug or not so I'm reluctant to post it as a bug report, but it certainly doesn't make any sense to me. :s

I was playing this song for the daily farming~ and, well, these screenshots are a quick description of what happened:

this shows that the max combo is ~690-700 and that mine was broken at 588

this shows that I didn't get any 100/50/misses

Honestly, I don't think I have missed either~ and it also apparently was scored as if I didn't miss, which is cool. *-*
But well, this doesn't make any sense to me. Either I miss and my combo is broken, or I don't miss and my combo isn't broken, right? You can watch the replay too.
Drace
That's because you broke your combo in a long note. What most likely happened is you missed a long note or let go in the middle of a long note, breaking your combo, but held it back down afterwards despite the long note being darkened. So you didn't completely miss that note, but you still made a mistake thus breaking your combo.
Topic Starter
Aelya_old
Yes, long notes were involved. Silly long notes ~_~

That said, I thought of that, but when I do that it awards me a 100 or 50, I think... and the note wasn't ever darkened. Rewatching the replay, I don't see the miss either, though I'm hardly qualified to comment. x/

[edit]
actually, I just tried spamming F12 in the replay. I caught the moment where I lose my combo (still don't know how I lost it, maybe someone can record and play back at frame advance lol), the key isn't darkened, and I don't get a 100- for it... :p

[/edit]
Drace
Huh, that is weird. Can't really discern what's the cause of this, but I would like to think that something other than a bug is causing this. Maybe other people who encountered something similar could give a better insight about this :/
kuuderes_shadow
You can break combo on a 200. It's done by having a note held down shortly before that note is to be pressed for a long note. You then let go at the same time as you should be hitting the note (causing the combo to break), then hit down again (and hold) so that you're accurate enough to get a 200. It does not grey out the hold note.
I've done it several times.

Not that combo actually matters in mania - the score you get is exactly the same as if you had hit a 200 normally.
Drace
Combo is relevant in mania, there's a multiplier somewhere around 200 and a bigger multiplier somewhere around 500. In default skin/settings, the yellow fire indicates the first multiplier and the blue fire indicates the second. So the score would of been better if the combo would not of broke then.
VoidnOwO

Drace wrote:

Combo is relevant in mania, there's a multiplier somewhere around 200 and a bigger multiplier somewhere around 500. In default skin/settings, the yellow fire indicates the first multiplier and the blue fire indicates the second. So the score would of been better if the combo would not of broke then.

Wiki wrote:

Score

In osu!mania mode, each beatmap has the same maximum total score, currently 1,000,000.

The score is given in two parts, base score and bonus score, each contributing 50% of total score.

Base score is based on hit judgement. A rainbow 300 is worth a bit more than 300.

Bonus score is based on hit judgement and a floating bonus multiplier. The multiplier increases when you get a rainbow 300 or 300, while it decreases when you get a 200 or below. The better judgement you get, the more the multiplier increase, or the less punishment. There's an upper limit for the multiplier.
?
Drace
Hm I might be wrong then, I'm pretty sure it was relevant at some point
Hanyuu
I guess combo is relevant since missing resets your bonus points but i remember woc mentioning combo itself sometime ago
Bobbias
Ok, so basically every 300 or rainbow you get adds either 1 or 2 to your bonus and every 200 subtracts 8, every 100 subtracts 24 every 50 subtracts 44, and every miss resets it completely.

Unless woc has changed it, I believe the maximum bonus is 256. After that point, you would stop receiving more bonus points for each 300/rainbow. This means that while combo is not completely relevant, the longer someone's maximum combo is, the more notes they will have likely hit with a high bonus. However combo is not a perfect way to figure out someone's bonus since 200's and 100's still contribute to combo (do 50's too?), but will reduce the bonus points.
Hanyuu
There was just this one thing about DT where he said something like "but with DT you get a higher combo" or something. So it might have something to do with it but, honestly dont even bother lol. Just try to FC or get a high combo and a superb accuracy and you are good :?
xxbidiao
Yeah this was found by me and "fixed" by woc2006 in CBT.

In CBT when I gave woc a replay which was made by my former broken keyboard ( which sometimes send out 2 key-pressing signal with one actual key press) with SS and breaking ~3 times he shouted out "why would that be happening!"

So currently however you play the slider well you would always get 200 when you break your combo. (In CBT if you just broke like ~5ms and re-hold the key, you may be lucky enough to get a 300 because you didn't error enough to qualify for 200)
Topic Starter
Aelya_old
Thanks for all the answers, lots of interesting things there~ ^^

I suppose that "combo is relevant" only in the sense that combo breaking is usually the result of a miss, and misses are very very bad for scoring attempts. :p
However, there seem to be a few very rare cases where you break your combo without actually getting a miss/50/100. I guess it's also pretty tough to figure out exactly how many "bonus" points some random play got.
17VA