forum

Reading the hit error meter

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Pawww_old
I've been practicing accuracy recently and i heard the hit error meter is useful. When am i supposed to look at it? Should i keep it at the bottom of the screen?
johandrossi
I feel like if I ever try to look at it midsong, I will just mess up more =(
Oinari-sama
I usually use it to "tune" the local offset only.

When I play a new map, I normally ignore the approach circles completely and just hit according to the music. After about 10s or 30 hits I look at the meter and see if the hits are early/late, then adjust the offset & restart map. Once I'm satisfied with the offset I normally don't look at it anymore unless I get some random 100s throughout the map. I normally tune the offset so that the majority of my hits (sliders excepted) are focused near the centre of the hit error meter.

That's just how I normally use it though, I'm interested to see what others do with it too.
Thatgooey
I used it one time and it was just a distraction. I don't have time to read it or look at it while playing. I think this is better used as a tool to use while watching a replay. Helpful for when you don't know if you were rushing a particular stream or were too slow on it. Just go back and watch the replay, and increase or decrease your speed accordingly. That's the only thing i've used it for yet truthfully, and not very often at that.
Reyvateil
Play normally and watch the replay later paying attention to the bar, then you will see if you're hitting too early or too late through the song. Don't take the small arrow as absolute since it is only a good indicative of the middle point between your hits in that part of the song if you're not very consistent.
Hanyuu
As a mania player i have it on top of the screen over my playfield and i use it quite alot every now and then in the song, when i feel like im off and even in the angle of the eye i often make it out if im more on the left, early or more on the right, late. I really use it everytime during every play but in standard it looks pretty tiny. Maybe it should get bigger