Problem with no breaks? Anyone?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Reyvateil
All of my hate to this map first break https://osu.ppy.sh/s/24782
RaneFire

Aqo wrote:

breaks are the worst aspect of this game. they shouldn't exist. break = no gameplay = not fun
Well it's a 2 minute map so it's ok. But if it was FIVE minutes, I'd be saying "tablet map" because you almost explicitly require absolute positioning to maintain control. If you are a tablet player, having no breaks is challenging. If you are a mouse player, it's just downright fucking annoying and retarded.
silmarilen
learn to reposition on sliders (or 1/1 notes)
Breiz

Triskelion91 wrote:

I frequently miss the first note after a break. I have no idea why.
Same here, for me it's the issue with playing mouse only. I take my hand off sometimes when I feel it's sweaty, but I feel like I can't get the same grip again.
That's why I just try not to let go of the mouse and click a bit during the break.
chox_old

Triskelion91 wrote:

I frequently miss the first note after a break. I have no idea why.
it's obvious isn't it, when break comes then you start paying attention to other things like accuracy score and other shit and then you loose concentration on game
i have this problem sometimes too, you should just learn to pay attention only to cursor while break comes and stay concentrated on game

Aqo wrote:

breaks are the worst aspect of this game. they shouldn't exist. break = no gameplay = not fun

if a map is too hard for you, practice. that's all there is to it
this, i wish there was no breaks and just pure gameplay but that won't happen
i especially hate those long ass maps 5 minutes + with break times more than a minute but meh
Stefan

Aqo wrote:

Cannot describe this arrogance, seriously.
boat
What's arrogant about it?
Stefan
There is a reason why breaks are neccessary/required for Beatmaps, especially for easier Levels. But I guess Aqo ignored this aspect - as always.
Soulg

Stefan wrote:

There is a reason why breaks are neccessary/required for Beatmaps, especially for easier Levels. But I guess Aqo ignored this aspect - as always.
normally I'd agree with you (since this is exactly what aqo would do) but i'm like 99% sure it was sarcasm
Wishy

RaneFire wrote:

Aqo wrote:

Well it's a 2 minute map so it's ok. But if it was FIVE minutes, I'd be saying "tablet map" because you almost explicitly require absolute positioning to maintain control. If you are a tablet player, having no breaks is challenging. If you are a mouse player, it's just downright fucking annoying and retarded.
You lose your grip over time and it's usually nice to have time to fix your hand/wrist/pen position, so it's kind of the same, the problem with some mouse users is they don't disable cursor acceleration which makes the sensitivity they use retarded, if you don't know how to configure your stuff it's not really the device's problem but yours.

Stefan wrote:

Using as an argument that "there is a reason why something is required" is possibly the most idiotic thing you could've said, since afaik it's not really required at all to add breaks on your map but "suggested". Easier beatmaps as far as I can remember were usually shorter than the harder difficulties, meaning you didn't need a break, and I agree that breaks are idiotic except for very short ones (less than 3 seconds) which are pretty much about being able to pause and scratch my nose or just alt+tab because I got a message from someone.

I usually don't play maps with long breaks because they bore me really quickly, it's not fun to watch the screen while getting that "please wait" feeling since all you can do is wait till the circles start showing up again.

Make easy maps shorter, don't make 6 min long beatmaps with 1:30 min worth in pauses.

The reason Aqo ignores very easy difficulties is because unless you are mentally disabled, blind, have mobility problems, or are 3 years old, it shouldn't take that long to get out of the retarded-tier difficulties into something a little bit decent. You never balance a game towards the early game but you work on making it good at decent levels, since that's the point where players usually stay for years.
quaternary
Spinners can suffice as breaks in a pinch: pause right when one comes up, and to resume drag the orange thing around instead of clicking and releasing.
NixXSkate
As someone that uses mouse, I get really annoyed when maps go on for over 2 or 3 minutes with no breaks. I hate having to adjust myself midgame, especially if it's a jumpy map or a map with patterns that circle around the whole screen repeatedly. Makes playing uncomfortable, especially when nervous.

But, I don't like long breaks either. I find that it disrupts the flow and feels like you're starting a new song sometimes (especially if you have SS). I think maps over 2 minutes should generally have a break, even if the break is too short for a section-pass.
Wishy
Off-Topic: Practice and you won't need to do that, either that or get used to re-adjusting while playing.

Tip: Play hard stuff and you will eventually notice how maps that required re-adjusting suddenly stop doing so.
Topic Starter
Purple
Everyone keeps talking about break times and mouse re-positioning. Break times don't need to exist on insanes and the mouse re-positioning issue goes away with practice (at least in my experience).

My problem is with this http://osu.ppy.sh/b/256027&m=0 map in particular and my fear and it might become a trend to make maps with no slowdown (no break, no spinner, no 1/1 section, no long and easy slider) that last more than 1.5 minutes. It feels mentally taxing, though I seem to be the only one in that regard.
NixXSkate

Wishy wrote:

Off-Topic: Practice and you won't need to do that, either that or get used to re-adjusting while playing.

Tip: Play hard stuff and you will eventually notice how maps that required re-adjusting suddenly stop doing so.
I'm pretty good at re-adjusting myself while playing, but it's a big deal if I'm nervous on a map that just carries on and on and on. It's nice to have a little time to shake it off.
RaneFire

Wishy wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/74586 pretty sure this is the right map? squares in CCW only?
Yeah it goes away with practice, but this map is so ridiculously easy that drift is very annoying. It is more easily solved by high DPI.

NixXSkate wrote:

patterns that circle around the whole screen repeatedly.
Edit: Seems I only have drift problems on 400 DPI, even just a slight increase to 500 DPI solves it. Must be the way I move my hand :/
I'm sure there's a more relevant example somewhere.
Mouse: G400v2 with LGS that I just installed today.
Wishy

NixXSkate wrote:

I'm pretty good at re-adjusting myself while playing, but it's a big deal if I'm nervous on a map that just carries on and on and on. It's nice to have a little time to shake it off.
If you are nervous then you should improve to a point you don't get nervous. From what I can see in your profile you are pretty much a hard farmer, start playing actual hard stuff and when you go back to hards you will realize that you don't get nervous anymore because it doesn't even feel that you can miss at all.

I usually just consider that if you get really nervous and have positioning problems at something is because you are not good enough to comfortably play it, if you do really good at something then there is no reason to get nervous.
Soulg
i forgot that it's easy even with 4mod because it's [Hard]

oh wait a lot of hards are actually REALLY tough with DT+HD, and nixx has plenty of impressive scores.
Almost

Wishy wrote:

NixXSkate wrote:

If you are nervous then you should improve to a point you don't get nervous. From what I can see in your profile you are pretty much a hard farmer, start playing actual hard stuff and when you go back to hards you will realize that you don't get nervous anymore because it doesn't even feel that you can miss at all.

I usually just consider that if you get really nervous and have positioning problems at something is because you are not good enough to comfortably play it, if you do really good at something then there is no reason to get nervous.
It doesn't matter the difficulty of the song really. I get nervous playing any map that is over 3 minutes which is why I pretty much have no FCs on songs above that time, if I do, then I just got lucky.
NixXSkate

Wishy wrote:

NixXSkate wrote:

That's not true at all, if you're nervous you don't play as you normally do. Sometimes a short break can slap you back into your senses. This might just be a hard difficulty, but when it's long and your sightreading the whole second half of the song and it doesn't seem to end, you body doesn't really want to adjust it just wants it to end. PS- I actually rarely have problems with adjusting, it only really happens if a song feels like its dragging on and on and on.
I actually am better at adjusting if I'm playing something really hard, because I'm probably not trying to SS it lol.
Dumie

Da7shadow wrote:

The only time I have a problem with having no break is when my nose gets itchy while I'm really into it.
Wishy

NixXSkate wrote:

That's not true at all, if you're nervous you don't play as you normally do. Sometimes a short break can slap you back into your senses. This might just be a hard difficulty, but when it's long and your sightreading the whole second half of the song and it doesn't seem to end, you body doesn't really want to adjust it just wants it to end. PS- I actually rarely have problems with adjusting, it only really happens if a song feels like its dragging on and on and on.
I actually am better at adjusting if I'm playing something really hard, because I'm probably not trying to SS it lol.
When you play something that's not extremely hard for you then there is no reason to get nervous, when you play a 8 min long map where you know you can't really miss a thing then you don't get nervous at all, then again if getting an FC there is challenging for you it's ok to get nervous.
Tidek
Breaks are suggested only in places where nothing interesting happens in music. Truth final word.
raww_old
My only issue with no breaks is mouse drifting. Occasionally (not that frequent anymore) my mouse will drift to the edge of the mouse-mat and aiming is pretty much impossible, a prime example for this is this map. Near the ending my mouse will be so out of position that it's very difficult to aim. In maps where spacing is very irregular to one side all of the time, mouse players will suffer.

Switching from 600 to 800 dpi helped a little.

Other than this, on maps with somewhat regular spacing, i prefer no breaks, cause nerves build up in them (especially if there's a break near the ending, like in Louis' Cyphre's Für Elise).
veniastcline

silmarilen wrote:

learn to reposition on sliders (or 1/1 notes)
Definetely what I do when playing with mouse.

Also my problem with no breaks is, I won't be as consistent as what I do in the opening/middle. Normally I will get more 100s, making my accuracy worse :/
Zakdawg
Breaks to me is an essential part of a good map, and in my opinion all mappers should fit in some sort of break every ~90 sec mark depending of the speed (how fast the cursor needs to move around... not bpm)
ziin
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/27809

Shit like this is stupid.

75-150 second sections are ideal. You shouldn't stray too far out of this range or it just gets tedious. None of the maps posted so far in the thread go much higher than those limits.