forum

CtB/Taiko/osu!mania mapping techniques/discussion subforum

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +9
Topic Starter
Seph
So basically this is a request for a creation of a subforum for all the other game modes subforum all about mapping techniques/discussions.

I believe this would be a useful one since all of the game modes are (cant say slowly) growing, and besides the old one is kind of dead and if we were to post there (ctb/o!m/taiko) it would be a cluttered mess.

Purpose of said subforum will be to introduce new mapping techniques, discussions maybe on nominated "future" possible techniques that can be applied on the said game modes.
Lally
supporting this :D/
*sad no stars to give* ;_;
Stefan
tbh it looks a bit unnecessary. I'd say that there is no problem to add these technique threads into the Mapping Techniques Forum.
xxbidiao
Support.

These modes have very different mapping techniques which sometimes even conflict in one way or another.

Example:

Osu: Slider ends is not forced to be on any sound and can be ended at a sound.
Taiko: No real sliders, slider ends doesn't matter at all.
Osu!mania: Slider ends should be at the end of any sound's end (to form the slider as a whole representing a sound) and are not to be placed (ended) casually.

To put these ideas into one forum is not a good idea since it would be uneasy if people get messed up discussing things on different mode.

(And if you say that to make topic having the mode on that, why not just open some subforum to make OP's life easier by shortening the mode name?)
Rorona
Support. I actually want to start mapping CtB, and learning how to map standard won't help me.
blissfulyoshi
I have a feeling most osu! mappers don't even bother with the mapping technique forum. If I ever wanted opinions, I just ask on #modhelp. In the same way you already have #ctb, #taiko, and #osumania respectively where you can ask for opinions. If these forums were created within the next year, it will probably have less activity than a langauge subforum.

As for mapping guides, I think someone needs to step up and make guides for mapping those modes before a forum for them is even considered. In General Questions, there are already compilations of guides that have been written, but there are no guides for other modes that I know of (if there is one, please notify me and I'll add it to the list). In general though, I rarely ever see people asking about how to map in other modes

In short, no support
Bobbias

blissfulyoshi wrote:

I have a feeling most osu! mappers don't even bother with the mapping technique forum. If I ever wanted opinions, I just ask on #modhelp. In the same way you already have #ctb, #taiko, and #osumania respectively where you can ask for opinions. If these forums were created within the next year, it will probably have less activity than a langauge subforum.

As for mapping guides, I think someone needs to step up and make guides for mapping those modes before a forum for them is even considered. In General Questions, there are already compilations of guides that have been written, but there are no guides for other modes that I know of (if there is one, please notify me and I'll add it to the list). In general though, I rarely ever see people asking about how to map in other modes

In short, no support
I agree that the forums would be a wasteland.

As for guides, there are a few small guides people have written for mania so far (all of which have been posted in the mania forum). Hanyuu has written a mania mapping basics thread in the mania forum t/118868 and Agka has written a guide for speed changes in mania here t/155780. Drace has written a guide explaining a bit about how to improve at mania, and has collected a list of a number of different patterns for mania mapping t/146615 and I plan on making a how to mod guide specific to mania sometime in the near future.

None of these are quite as in depth as the modding guide, but they're a start.

Slightly off topic, but I actually think that the mapping techniques forum should be converted to wiki pages or something. I don't think the forum is a really good way to organize things like that. In fact, I think these guides should be on the wiki as well, since that would allow people to directly contribute, as opposed to suggest changes to the poster. As it stands, if anyone here goes inactive, someone with forum mod powers would have to update the post.