forum

Color coded "layers" in mania editor.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +751
show more
chonicle
This layer is starting to looks like a midi section \:D/, showing which instrument you are following.
This will be easier for the modders to look at maps, too. If we can convert the combo colour to this it will be helpful.

And a further step is to add keysounds for these notes. This is how we do it in midi http://www.twitch.tv/chonicle/b/406594841
HanzeR
boobies pls hav my babbies
Hanyuu
This would be a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge addition to the editor
It will make anything easier for the mappers perspective and from the modders aswell.
And even new mappers that just put notes all over the place might start to think.. "oh.. layers"
Everything would just get better if everyones tries to use this
Topic Starter
Bobbias
It would help your tutorial too :P

I'm working on a list of possible keyboard shortcuts that would make working with a layers feature easier.

The basic idea is that we'd need a way to easily move selected notes between layers, select different layers for placing new notes, and enable or disable showing the layers. When I say showing the layers, I mean the color coding itself, not hiding the notes contained in a layer (just to clarify).

Keyboard shortcuts are an important component to any feature like this, because if the feature is too complicated to use, nobody will use it. If it's hidden in a menu somewhere, most people won't even see it, and explaining where to go and how to use it would be harder.
Kurai
Totally supporting this. I tried to map mania maps a few time already, but I always ended up getting lost in what I was doing... Having such a feature would help mappers keep their map organized and consistent.
PyaKura
Which is exactly why I always stop mapping once I finish a certain part of the song, and then don't getting back to it no matter if a part is wrong or not.
Topic Starter
Bobbias
Bumping this. Everyone I've talked to in the mania community seems to agree with this idea. I'd like it to get a bit more visibility here.
Hanyuu
Pushing this to the first page again :)
PyaKura
I'm (still) supporting this.
For obvious reasons. Mapping as well as modding will receive a huge huge huge benefit from this feature.
Topic Starter
Bobbias
I just thought to bump this, then I came back and saw it had already been done :P thanks for the support guys.
Yuzeyun
Even though I may not use this, I have in mind supporting this so yeah when I get a few stars I might throw in some
Topic Starter
Bobbias
Ok guys, I talked with Woc online yesterday and explained what I mean a bit better. I think there's a chance this could be implemented in the future. Of course, that doesn't mean it's guaranteed, or that it will be coming any time soon, but it sounds like he's at least considering it.

_Gezo_ wrote:

Even though I may not use this, I have in mind supporting this so yeah when I get a few stars I might throw in some
Thanks. I don't expect that everyone would use the feature, especially since the issue it deals with is less important on 4k and such. But on 6/7/8k this would have a lot more impact.
PyaKura
Aaaannnd bumping again. This would be even more useful than the new density bar. (Not saying it is not useful but to be honest it doesn't bring anything to mania mapping, grom my point of view, that is)

Absolutely need this !

Edit : Didn't even read Bobbias' last post...
Akihiro
All my stars are belong to you man :)

This would make things so easier when doing heavy difficulties.
Mirage
Must have :(
PyaKura
And bumping this up. I've come to a point where I have to use default hitsounds as "layers" to identify which note belongs to what pattern(s), but it's really not easy to use haha.
PyaKura
Bumpity bump.

Implementing these "layers" the same way default hitsounds are (icons on tne right side of the screen) or changing the way combo color work for o!m would be good.

Mapping very hard stuff can get pretty confusing.
Akihiro
Have some stars.

Would become my favourite editor if it had this kind of feature.

Would be extremely helpful for mappers so they can organize their ideas and modders as well.

EDIT : whoops did not realize I already posted here..., well hope you don't mind :)
PyaKura
If ET maps were to be allowed for ranking, this would be even more incredibly helpful.
The ranking process would also be much smoother and it would make everyone's work easier.
PyaKura
shamelessly bumping this
Akihiro

PyaKura wrote:

shamelessly bumping this
Redon
PyaKura
It's been 2 years since this was requested, wow. Time sure flies.
Anyway, do we still have a chance to see this implemented now that woc has left (a while ago alright) ? I feel like this is something which becomes more and more needed as time goes, especially now, seeing how the BN and QATs can hardly keep up with the amount of requests. I believe this feature would benefit them greatly.

All we need at the very least would be a way to color selected notes. This alone would make modding so much easier and hopefully speed up the whole modding and ranking process much faster without sacrificing quality. Actually quite the opposite.

Any word from above ?
Redon
PyaKura
*throwing in some more stars*
Gravey-
This would be very helpful as for me i prioritize/based mostly on patterns >w<)b
I don't have stars to support this tho'
PyaKura
Totally bumped this to 300+ stars wee
Topic Starter
Bobbias
Holy crap PyaKura, thanks for bumping this so often. I really hope one day this gets implemented. It would be so useful.
Harbyter

Loctav wrote:

Maybe using and adjusting the new combo feature and make it a "new layer" feature using different combo colors can do it.
I don't know how much adjustments this requires.

Anyways, supporting.

PyaKura wrote:

If ET maps were to be allowed for ranking, this would be even more incredibly helpful.
The ranking process would also be much smoother and it would make everyone's work easier.
++++++++100
PyaKura
@Bobbias : this is one if not the only feature I really want to see implemented in osu! right now.

If it were to be a thing I'd be glad to help out with modding and such, and I am sure many more would be willing to contribute to the ranking process. At least, I know I would and I'd abuse it all day long in the editor. Figuring out what was the mapper thinking when he made a map can be really tricky at times and it would help with common "unrankability issues" (OVERMAPPING/GHOST NOTES ANYONE ?).

Now that I think about it, since we have 9K rankable now, there is no no doubt we will see really hard maps getting into the ranking process in the future, and I think that modding/pattern recognition might get even more messier with that amount of columns and the possible insane amount of notes on screen. Though this is unlikely to happen soon, and it's a minor point considering every pros to this feature that have been mentionned until now, it's still worth considering. Actually, I don't even see it having any cons at all.

Also wow Harby, dem stars lmao.
Bursst
I mean I don't beat map but this does look handy
abraker
YES make this a thing!!!
PyaKura
Oinari-sama
That illust looks great :D

It'll be good to have a Comment layer too.
PyaKura
Aye that's actually a better idea than using the overlayed text the hitsounds are currently using.
Evening
tasty
Todestrieb
Mania seriously need this option
PyaKura
I was planning to bump soon but you did it for me alright
Topic Starter
Bobbias
I was also planning on bumping soon. I wish I could have convinced woc to add this in before he left :/
Rilene
I hope this really gets added.
Going to support with my non-existent star.

Because... Mapping a chord, stream maps without placing a ghost note is hard. :(

Imperishable Night 2006's 7K Lunatic is a good example of having this... I mean, it is almost impossible to guess which note is representing the sounds (hihat, kick, synth, vocal "r" and "l" at the same time), especially on the peak section where note density gets exceedingly high.
show more