forum

is downloading osu beatmap illegal by law?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
joevincent
is it ok for us to download osu beatmap?
do we break the copyright law if we downloaded the beatmap? :?: :?:
thelewa
yes
Asagi Mutsuki

joevincent wrote:

is it ok for us to download osu beatmap?
do we break the copyright law if we downloaded the beatmap? :?: :?:

thelewa wrote:

yes
which question were you referring to LOL
boat
I'm not sure if it's actually illegal to download copyright protected tracks, but it would in any case be the distributor who'll get in significant trouble for it. You're at more risk when you upload it, and depending on where you live you might actually want to be careful with it.

The risk usually depends on the laws in your respective country. I recall that some countries allow for distribution as long as it's not for commercial use.
Dumie
wouldnt peppy and all the mappers be like in jail if it was illegal? o.o just wondering
[Luanny]
depends
some artists are ok with it, as long as their tracks are not used for any commercial use
this includes osu!
Renard is one of them
Mismagius
the osu! ToS claim that the person responsible for the copyright issues is the one uploading the beatmap, like boat said, depends on your country (except for some cases like Skrillex)

tl;dr: if you're in germany, don't map
dNextGen
Renard is such a good guy,he let all of us use his works as much as we want to

fuck Skrillex
D33d

dNextGen wrote:

Renard is such a good guy,he let all of us use his works as much as we want to

fuck Skrillex
Krillsex music makes for horrible maps anyway, save for MIC's which was at least okay.
Topic Starter
joevincent
woah everyone got a grudge for skrillex la
I've never tried his song yet
DarkDunskin

Blue Dragon wrote:

tl;dr: if you're in germany, don't map
To clarify this: Mapping is not forbidden in germany. It's okay to map whatever you want as long as you don't submit your map with an audiofile. Which means, there's no problem in mapping Guest diffs.
Marcin
/offtopic/
Out of curiosity, if you map a song, and upload it with audiofile, while the artist allows that, does it is still forbidden ?
Liiraye
Depends on where you live and how long it takes for your local officers to finish their pasterys

Gunther fought the law and the law won.
ExtremelyAvg
I think its illegal if you profit from it.
Ekaru

Marcin wrote:

/offtopic/
Out of curiosity, if you map a song, and upload it with audiofile, while the artist allows that, does it is still forbidden ?
If you have permission - this includes the artist giving permission to everyone to use the file as they wish - then it's not illegal. It's only when you don't have permission to upload the song file that it's illegal.
Topic Starter
joevincent
any idea if it's illegal in Singapore? I'm still new around this country so I dunno how the law works
IppE

joevincent wrote:

any idea if it's illegal in Singapore? I'm still new around this country so I dunno how the law works
Most likely.