forum

Early RSI symptoms?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
chox_old
Lately i've been experiencing very light pain in fingers/wrist when i stop playing, probably because i played osu too much without taking any breaks for a longer while
how long should i wait before playing osu again? im thinking like few days or something?
i'll try to take breaks during playing once i start playing again.
MegaRevolution1
I see that it says you registered a year ago, but for the sake of precaution, when did you begin to actually play? (I feel like it's necessary to ask because more often than not, there are people who register for websites such as this, but stay quite inactive and do nothing till a later point in time)

If you've been playing throughout the year, was there any long pause before this recent play that caused the pain?

If there was a long break, it may just be the fact your hand is in a bit of shock from the sudden stress and overall exercise it's being put through. In a more common real life example, say you're a runner. You practice quite often and get to a certain point where you're able to run for miles with no break. Suddenly, a tragedy happens causing you you to have to stop running. Well, a half a year later, you run again like there was never a break, and due to the fact your legs started to calm down before it, your legs begin to ache and go under major stress from not being used to this sort of pressure you're putting it under.

Now, that was merely a real life example. Clearly it can be used for many other circumstances.

However, at the same time, I have to wonder: Was there never a break before today? Have you been playing constantly every day leading up to this event? If so, I'll continue with this if you say that is the problem.
Jordan
Go see a doctor. I don't think opening a thread in General Discussion is going to help you.
Zerostarry
Get it checked out, and please take care of your hands.
boat
cut them off

no hands no problems
Topic Starter
chox_old
@MegaRevolution1
i started playing like a little bit more than month (in a way it could cause a bit strain) also like a week ago i changed dpi settings on my mouse to higher numbers which could cause extra strain to wrist, and i think it's the reason (it's only right hand i'm feeling something atm, it's not pain but it's enough to notice that it's a bit overplayed)
@Jordan and Princess
I think that if i take a few days break it should be fine, it's not like it hurts

well i guess it's nothing big after all i think i just grew anxious of it and wanted to make sure, sorry for the fuss.
MegaRevolution1
Well, given the fact you're playing it right handed, it would make sense that the pain would be centered there, wouldn't it?

Anyways, I'd recommend playing it a bit less often, taking more breaks, etc etc. If the pain doesn't go away, then the most logical solution would indeed be going to the doctors. However, since it seems you already know the source of issues, going to a doctor at this moment isn't so necessary.

If the pain gets worse or doesn't go away, even after dropping osu! for some time, then you should definitely go to a doctor to see if there's anything else wrong.
Thatgooey
Stop playing osu for awhile. If your wrist is hurting while not playing, then you probably need to rest it at the very least. This game is not worth having your wrist be in pain all of the time. Take a week off of osu and don't do anything that makes your wrist hurt. Coming from someone who as fucked up their wrist by being stubborn, don't try and "play through the pain" when your body is trying to tell you that something is really going wrong. It's not worth it.
Topic Starter
chox_old

Thatgooey wrote:

don't try and "play through the pain" when your body is trying to tell you that something is really going wrong. It's not worth it.
you're right, i played through the pain as you say which was mistake, i'll take the break and see if it'll be fine, if not i'll go see a doctor
thank you all and sorry for the fuss once again.

@down much appreciated i'll watch out for that
Ephemeral
numbness is the worst sign - minor pain is understandable when you're using flexor muscles in your hands and fingers, but if it ever starts to tingle or go numb, you're compressing the nerves in your hand and likely your wrist
JAKACHAN

Ephemeral wrote:

numbness is the worst sign - minor pain is understandable when you're using flexor muscles in your hands and fingers, but if it ever starts to tingle or go numb, you're compressing the nerves in your hand and likely your wrist
Pretty much this. Your hands can take a lot of torture and pain (Believe me I jam mine in cracks and pull my entire bodyweight up with just 1 or 2 fingers), but if you ever start to feel numbness you need to immediately stop and get it checked out.
Tekklorn
I had some tingling sensations in my hand when I was playing osu extensively (like a month or two ago if you check my historical) and then I had to stop playing because I went on holiday for over 4 weeks, so basically my playtime got drastically reduced and now when I play I get no tingling sensation what so ever unless I go for a very very long session (like 4-5 hours worth non stop)
Birdy

boat wrote:

cut them off

no hands no problems
no hands no fapping

yes problems
FrzR

Static Noise Bird wrote:

boat wrote:

cut them off

no hands no problems
no hands no fapping

yes problems
THIS.
thelewa

Static Noise Bird wrote:

boat wrote:

cut them off

no hands no problems
no hands no fapping

yes problems
get a girlfriend
Birdy

thelewa wrote:

get a girlfriend
what if i'm gay
D33d

thelewa wrote:

Static Noise Bird wrote:

no hands no fapping

yes problems
get a girlfriend
That's rich.

Seriously though, rest your hands and exercise them gently, until the sensations come back. That's all you can do. This game is not worth becoming spackhanded.