forum

Mech Keyboards, tapping.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
phoenny
Hey, there. I just got my QPAD MK-50 Red Switch a week ago.. and i wondered if ppl bottom out mostly? especially while singletapping
or are there any players that have a red switch kb and dont bottom out is there any advantage of it?

If so is it a BIG advantage? and.. yea. idk but i dont know how i can do that at all if it would be better i would try to learn it but to buttons are so damn easy to press down.

EDIT: do you lift your fingers off the keys after pressing it or are they constantly on the keyboard?
Full Tablet
I think most just bottom out, specially if you are using Cherry Red switches.

I only lift my fingers off the keys when singletapping maps over ~200bpm (since at that speed I tend to use my whole arm for pressing buttons).
koromo
Pretty sure you're supposed to bottom out linear switches.

Anyway, I use browns so I don't think this will help much but I bottom out at all times mostly, and I lift my fingers almost 100% of the time too.
enik
Don't think about it, your fingers will do everything automatically on higher speeds (and on lower speeds it doesn't matter).
Lycanth_old

Full Tablet wrote:

I think most just bottom out, specially if you are using Cherry Red switches.

I only lift my fingers off the keys when singletapping maps over ~200bpm (since at that speed I tend to use my whole arm for pressing buttons).

I got Cherry MX reds and when spamming those endless stream practice maps, I noticed that not bottoming out saves a lot of stamina and increases my speed by 10~20bpm. But it might make it a little bit harder to keep accurate(hasn't been a problem for me since I've been playing piano for ages and it is kind of a similar feeling :) ), since you don't always press the key down 3/4 or sth like that~ (For lower bpm I bottom out my keys)

I think it doesn't matter whether you bottom out or not when playing "non-streamy-notes", though. (I'm mostly doing a mix of both for those and I didn't notice any difference so far, but I rarely singletap stuff)
winber1
at any higher level songs, not bottoming out on linear switches makes accuracy goddamn impossible, especially on OD10. Some people say you still do okay with tactile feedback without bottoming out, but for me I still can't do it without bottoming out.

It's probably still possible to maintain a decent accuracy without bottoming out, but it's is definitely helpful imo.

Also, i don't think you can compare piano to this lol. You always "bottom out" on a piano. Even when you play piano (the dynamic), you have to bottom out, but it's rather more about the strength you used to press the key but not actually the distance of the press.
Lycanth_old
I think "not bottoming out" is a very vague term, since it could either mean pressing the key 1/2 or 9/10 way down.
To clarify: What i meant by not bottoming out was more along the lines of 9/10. So it might have been more of a.. "not pressing keys too hard"-thing, though i feel like there is a bit more to it..

But I'm new to osu! and just compared playing trillos on a piano to streaming in osu!, since you want to play a trillo(or very fast 1/32s) at a certain speed too, and not randomly spam it/them. So what works (or seems to work so far) for me, might not work for you, and if most players bottom out there might be a reason for that.

winber1 wrote:

Also, i don't think you can compare piano to this lol. You always "bottom out" on a piano. Even when you play piano (the dynamic), you have to bottom out, but it's rather more about the strength you used to press the key but not actually the distance of the press.
If playing piano is not about the distance you press as well, it would be literally impossible to play the same volume for different speeds, because then force=speed(at which you press/play a key)=volume.

Try hitting a piano key with quite a bit of force and you will notice that you don't have to press it down entirely to produce a sound. (I'm talking about a "normal" piano - not about a grand piano - these have better mechanics, though still not "perfect")

There are also different kind of pianos. Some require more force to press and have a rather "hard" sound while the one I use does not need as much force when playing to produce sound. The "Cherry MX red version" among pianos, if you want to call it like that.

If you are interested, take a look at sth like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiJcXAuOMNU
The piano(the volume, not the instrument) part in the beginning is a good example of "not bottoming out piano keys"(especially the pinky and the left hand at times)
Whereas the fortissimo part at ~4:13 would be "bottoming out".
Thatgooey
Eh, it is kind of risky not bottoming out most keys at higher speeds. Piano has more resistance than a red switch, a lot more, and weighs a good deal more. The key operates on a fulcrum, not on a linear axis. Forces required to depress both types of keys and the friction each produces far too different to compare. It is a completely different technique to control depression of red switches (or even blue/brown) than piano keys. You could try to avoid bottoming out your keys, but you may sacrifice some accuracy and consistency to do this. Bottoming out is the way to go on a red switch. The only time I don't bottom out is when streaming much higher BPMs, but I use blue switches. I bottom out 98% of the time, though.

Even this causes inconsistency, because stopping halfway causes the key to behave differently. Hitting a key at rest in the default position is not the same as hitting a key that is coming back up. When you bottom out, you have to bring the key all the way back up with your finger, essentially. This guarantees perfect consistency. It will spring back up at the same speed every single time with the same force if you bottom out. If you stop short, the key will continue down when you lift off, and THEN snap back up. If you are streaming by pressing the key down and letting the key do the rest of the work, you will get inconsistencies. The key will start pressing back on you, which means you have to press the key harder mid stream. This means you have to constantly change the force you press the key with. The more you don't bottom out at high speed, the harder you have to hit the key with your finger. Then you have to deal with your fingers moving faster than the key is moving. A lot of people try to do what would be the intelligent thing by trying to lightly press the keys to avoid bottoming out to go faster (this does sound like the smart thing to do), but osu hates your fingers and intellect and wants you to destroy them. If you do this, you won't be as accurate and consistent, and because of the nature of osu, you have to to be accurate and consistent to play maps well.
buny
it's a lot easier to bottom out but you probably conserve a lot more energy if you don't