forum

Best and worst gaming communities you've been a part of

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Saneaux
Title says it all peoples.

Best: I like the people of osu! and Spiral Knights. They're generally nice, easy to talk to.
Worst: I hate the MicroVolts community. It's loaded with kids and trolls and over the months becomes increasingly hard to find someone nice.
Relssek_old
Best:
Worst: League of Legends, RuneScape
Shohei Ohtani
>Implying there are good gaming communities
Topic Starter
Saneaux

CDFA wrote:

I lold. Well, personal favourite then, eh?
Birdy
Best:
Worst: osu!

I belong to so many communities that are based on gaming, huh
Shohei Ohtani

Saneaux wrote:

CDFA wrote:

I lold. Well, personal favourite then, eh?
There was a Maplestory group I was a fan of, and there's osu!

I mostly like them because they're the only gaming groups that I'm not currently banned from.
MegaRevolution1
Best: Small little forum made by a couple of friends.
Worst: A certain medium sized forum I was apart of for 3 years.

Doubt anyone would care enough for details.
Jinxy
I don't have a "best", but I'd say osu! and some specific gaming subsections of reddit (read: anything but /r/gaming) are ok.

Worst? Anything based in South East Asia. MapleSEA and Dragon Nest SEA especially.
Shohei Ohtani

MegaRevolution1 wrote:

What if I cared enough for the details what would you do then.
mathexpert
Best: Earthbound and osu!
Worst: Elsword
Varetyr
Best : osu! and Trackmania, I just can't pick one
Worst : Call of Duty. Even worse than League of Legends, really.
boat

Static Noise Bird wrote:

Best:
Worst: osu!
Cyclohexane
best: osu!
worst: jeuxvideo.com aka the french equivalent of /v/ on a standalone website

(funny that the people that say osu! is the worst community they've known are the ones making it shittier but I digress)
DaddyCoolVipper
Best: Trackmania
Worst: LoL

Also whoa, color, you're getting a little agressive with snb and boat there jeez tone it down jeez
boat
fite me irl
MegaRevolution1

CDFA wrote:

MegaRevolution1 wrote:

Well then, look no further!
For the Best, there's not a whole lot to explain. The people are very friendly, there's a perfect amount of posts that happen in a day, etc etc. Pretty well for its size.

For the worst, I did slightly touch up on it in the Confess thread. Before continuing, for the sake of making it easier to read, let's name this site V. As a synopsis, it's quite hateful to people that are "different" (will explain), it's very cluttered and spam ridden, the main age group consists of 11-14 year olds who are absolute morons, and many other things.

V was set-up as a retro gaming website, but at the same time, also a slight Christian site. While there was only one section for specific Christian threads (Even more specifically conservative ones), their beliefs, ideals, and pretty much everything else still spread throughout the place. Now, if they were all kind about it, there would have been no problem with it. But no, it wasn't that simple. They used annoying post backgrounds, put random Bible quotes within their signature, and in threads within the Debate forum, would essentially only give points of view relating to what their religion believed (for example, anything within the LBGT group is evil, Abortion is evil, atheists are evil and stupid, etc etc). They also felt that it was necessary to, despite being already a slight religious board, exclaim with an obnoxious tag that they're a "Christian Member of [V]!" or something along the lines. Now, I'm not saying EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE of the religious members were awful, I've definitely made good friends with the ones that were healthy about it, but a large portion of those people were, in fact, crazy, unbearable, and overall obnoxious.
The next thing is that the Owner of the site is without a doubt incredibly lazy and takes a lifetime to release any sort of update that could be done easily. Before any wondering of "Why doesn't he get extra admins to help?" happens, apparently he was betrayed once or twice in the past, causing him to lack trust in giving anone forum-altering powers that aren't simply adding/removing mods or anything small. He has, however, entrusted some random coder to develop a part of the the site's main attraction, the only reason why there's as many registered users as there are on there.
Another fault in my eyes is that the site extremely censored, especially now being there was a recent shift in power within the main moderators. Swears, no matter how little they are, are 100% censored. Avoid the filter, you get warned and pretty much heavily watched by Moderators who wait for you to slip up so they have something within their job to do, since they never do anything else (There's usually an actual application thrown around about 3 to 4 times a year for lower-ranking mods). Avoid the filter in the Chat Rooms, only once, and again no matter how small, and you automatically get muted. It's also wise to point out the mutes last an entire day, and they don't feel obligated to lower that limit or unmute them manually for saying a slight word, despite most people in the chat rooms being of the ages where swears are most commonly said. Beyond that, anything that complains about the forum is automatically regarded as "trolling" annd bombarded with one reply after another by illiterate fools requesting the thread to be closed. Anything complaining or berating something specific that's within the main interest, Pokemon for example, is also considered a heinous act. However, people have instead gotten away with posting hate threads about gay people and many other things (other religions, the religionless, certain users even) and have gotten away with it with little to no punishment. Why? Because it's either a thought shared amongst the loudmouth demographic, or the person is within power. A specific example involving me: Before leaving V, I posted on both there and at the smaller board, which shall be dubbed Q, quite regularly. Now, within sometime around April, one of the other people that also posted between the two was a kid named Kyle. Now, I had no problems with Kyle, but one day, to sum it up, he called me quite a few vulgar things relating towards the fact I'm Trans on Q. Now, most of the active people there (pretty much a group of about 7-9 people) were not aware of this yet, and I actually did not plan on telling. Infused with sadness and embarrassment, I became quite suicidal over the event. Kyle then felt worried (He didn't actually apologize till days later), so he consulted with the main Psycho Christian member, who will be dubbed S, about the situation. Now, I actually found out later S was the one telling him to do that stuff, but anyways, to the topic, S said, to reassure Kyle , something along the lines of "What you did was right. Mega has many satanic influences within his life. He's only doing it for attention, and if not, it isn't a problem anyways, LOL!", but my memory is actually hazy of the event and this is basically the gist of it. I could try finding the exact quotes, but only if anyone truly cares enough for even THAT. Also, important fact here, S is also a teacher for high school students. Just felt that was needed. Now, this was all done publically, in the open, for everyone to see. What was Kyle's punishment? Banned from Q. That's all I wanted and needed for his. Now, S, on the otherhand, despite later (like, a week later when it was still being something the mods were debating about) being proven the most guilty for setting Kyle up, and then degrading me there, was simply stripped a power level. She went from a low-leveled mod to a normal staff of the site's main attraction. Nothing more happened, but even then, it's like nothing ever did happen, because she was only the lower leveled mod so she could have more power in that site's main attraction.
Now, there are still quite a lot of problems with this site I have yet to even get closed to, but I'm sure that I've already wasted time with this wall of text enough already.
Cyclohexane
holy fucking crap

actually I have no problem with boat but I could've sworn more shitposters quoted SNB

guess I see evil everywhere don't I
Tekklorn
Best: Has to be this very old game I used to play called DarkSpace, because of the size of the community everyone knew each other and everyone would be doing something to contribute to the game.

Worst: Has to be the LoL community, the amount of ragers and trolls is too much followed that by the fact you'll be stuck with them for at least 20 minutes is horrid, worse than most games due to that.
Apex_old

MegaRevolution1 wrote:

CDFA wrote:

Well then, look no further!
For the Best, there's not a whole lot to explain. The people are very friendly, there's a perfect amount of posts that happen in a day, etc etc. Pretty well for its size.

For the worst, I did slightly touch up on it in the Confess thread. Before continuing, for the sake of making it easier to read, let's name this site V. As a synopsis, it's quite hateful to people that are "different" (will explain), it's very cluttered and spam ridden, the main age group consists of 11-14 year olds who are absolute morons, and many other things.

V was set-up as a retro gaming website, but at the same time, also a slight Christian site. While there was only one section for specific Christian threads (Even more specifically conservative ones), their beliefs, ideals, and pretty much everything else still spread throughout the place. Now, if they were all kind about it, there would have been no problem with it. But no, it wasn't that simple. They used annoying post backgrounds, put random Bible quotes within their signature, and in threads within the Debate forum, would essentially only give points of view relating to what their religion believed (for example, anything within the LBGT group is evil, Abortion is evil, atheists are evil and stupid, etc etc). They also felt that it was necessary to, despite being already a slight religious board, exclaim with an obnoxious tag that they're a "Christian Member of [V]!" or something along the lines. Now, I'm not saying EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE of the religious members were awful, I've definitely made good friends with the ones that were healthy about it, but a large portion of those people were, in fact, crazy, unbearable, and overall obnoxious.
The next thing is that the Owner of the site is without a doubt incredibly lazy and takes a lifetime to release any sort of update that could be done easily. Before any wondering of "Why doesn't he get extra admins to help?" happens, apparently he was betrayed once or twice in the past, causing him to lack trust in giving anone forum-altering powers that aren't simply adding/removing mods or anything small. He has, however, entrusted some random coder to develop a part of the the site's main attraction, the only reason why there's as many registered users as there are on there.
Another fault in my eyes is that the site extremely censored, especially now being there was a recent shift in power within the main moderators. Swears, no matter how little they are, are 100% censored. Avoid the filter, you get warned and pretty much heavily watched by Moderators who wait for you to slip up so they have something within their job to do, since they never do anything else (There's usually an actual application thrown around about 3 to 4 times a year for lower-ranking mods). Avoid the filter in the Chat Rooms, only once, and again no matter how small, and you automatically get muted. It's also wise to point out the mutes last an entire day, and they don't feel obligated to lower that limit or unmute them manually for saying a slight word, despite most people in the chat rooms being of the ages where swears are most commonly said. Beyond that, anything that complains about the forum is automatically regarded as "trolling" annd bombarded with one reply after another by illiterate fools requesting the thread to be closed. Anything complaining or berating something specific that's within the main interest, Pokemon for example, is also considered a heinous act. However, people have instead gotten away with posting hate threads about gay people and many other things (other religions, the religionless, certain users even) and have gotten away with it with little to no punishment. Why? Because it's either a thought shared amongst the loudmouth demographic, or the person is within power. A specific example involving me: Before leaving V, I posted on both there and at the smaller board, which shall be dubbed Q, quite regularly. Now, within sometime around April, one of the other people that also posted between the two was a kid named Kyle. Now, I had no problems with Kyle, but one day, to sum it up, he called me quite a few vulgar things relating towards the fact I'm Trans on Q. Now, most of the active people there (pretty much a group of about 7-9 people) were not aware of this yet, and I actually did not plan on telling. Infused with sadness and embarrassment, I became quite suicidal over the event. Kyle then felt worried (He didn't actually apologize till days later), so he consulted with the main Psycho Christian member, who will be dubbed S, about the situation. Now, I actually found out later S was the one telling him to do that stuff, but anyways, to the topic, S said, to reassure Kyle , something along the lines of "What you did was right. Mega has many satanic influences within his life. He's only doing it for attention, and if not, it isn't a problem anyways, LOL!", but my memory is actually hazy of the event and this is basically the gist of it. I could try finding the exact quotes, but only if anyone truly cares enough for even THAT. Also, important fact here, S is also a teacher for high school students. Just felt that was needed. Now, this was all done publically, in the open, for everyone to see. What was Kyle's punishment? Banned from Q. That's all I wanted and needed for his. Now, S, on the otherhand, despite later (like, a week later when it was still being something the mods were debating about) being proven the most guilty for setting Kyle up, and then degrading me there, was simply stripped a power level. She went from a low-leveled mod to a normal staff of the site's main attraction. Nothing more happened, but even then, it's like nothing ever did happen, because she was only the lower leveled mod so she could have more power in that site's main attraction.
Now, there are still quite a lot of problems with this site I have yet to even get closed to, but I'm sure that I've already wasted time with this wall of text enough already.
China in a nutshell.

It's opaque. You have to be a member.of the CPC to vote for the secretary of the state/city. There's heavy censorship, whcich means good media is banned by the government media press, and the only way for them to get famous is the Internet like Netflix. Sometimes specific governers will execute something cruel like hiring the mafia to hit people because they are against a mine in their town which will cause environmental pollution. They won't listen to environmentalist complaining against a fire power plant that pollutes the river yellow because it brings them profit. Whistleblowers are watched over secretly by shady persons, but luckily, a slight comment like this won't cause much , a scandal has to be revealed to acheives such dangers. And guess what, recently groundwater in areas with coal power plants have been found out to be contaminated with foreign contaminant.
ReVeNg3r
good: World of Warcraft (certain servers), Endless Forest , Diablo 2 (certain servers), Two Worlds (certain site) ...

bad: League of Legends, Tibia, Metin 2 ...

oh and osu! is somewhere in middle (or more to bad) because of bullshits and kids/trolls who don't know when is it enough .
ReVeNg3r
just highlight something

MegaRevolution1 wrote:

As a synopsis, it's quite hateful to people that are "different" (will explain), it's very cluttered and spam ridden, the main age group consists of 11-14 year olds who are absolute morons, and many other things.
Birdy

Mr Color wrote:

(funny that the people that say osu! is the worst community they've known are the ones making it shittier but I digress)

Yeah, no. Just no. Besides (some) moderators and some random randies, I'm not making this place shittier for anyone. Come at me.
ReVeNg3r

Static Noise Bird wrote:

Mr Color wrote:

Yeah, no. Just no. Besides (some) moderators and some random randies, I'm not making this place shittier for anyone. Come at me.

he ment me ,I guess..
show more