forum

Underappreciated T^T

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sleepy Tori
Type in anime/manga titles that you think deserves more love and appreciation.

deadbeat
i seem to remember a thread like this one already... nvm, was just this one -> t/46061
Topic Starter
Sleepy Tori

deadbeat wrote:

i seem to remember a thread like this one already... nvm, was just this one -> t/46061
lol not favorite animes. just underappreciated that should get more love
Luna
Tsumiki no Ie - 12 minute movie without any dialogue. Won an Oscar as Best animated short film in 2009 (and deservedly so) but is still often overlooked. ~#950 in MAL popularity.
Satoshi Kon movies like Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress - Way more well-known than Tsumiki no Ie, but still nothing I ever see people talking about despite being great movies.
Aku no Hana - Stop judging a show entirely on your first impression of the art style, seriously...
Bartender - Not quite as good as the aforementioned titles, but still a series I consider quite underrated (ranked below #1000 on MAL).
CsavarNat16
Sket Dance and K should need more love >.<
Topic Starter
Sleepy Tori
im adding Cuticle Detective Inaba to my list
warwolfz
Guilty Crown need more much love :?
Oinari-sama
Cross Game
Topic Starter
Sleepy Tori
Just remembered Infinite Stratos
Lust
RahXephon
Justykanna

snlrocks wrote:

Just remembered Infinite Stratos
I was a pretty big fan of it too, but the genre's understandably not for everyone. Otherwise I would've mentioned it too.

warwolfz wrote:

Guilty Crown need more much love :?
I think it gets the credit it deserved for the right reasons - I've seen it mentioned a few times on other threads. It's not the best for reasons anyone who watched it, knows.
Though, it didn't bother me as much as others. xD
Mogsy
Sket Dance sold reasonably well for a Shonen Jump title, but yeah, is underappreciated compared to their other modern titles (Toriko, Gintama, etc.).

K sold well and is getting a second season. Not to mention it's already got an English dub and a VERY large Western fanbase. It's HIGHLY appreciated.

Katekyo Hitman Reborn! ran for over 200 episodes, has a very loud and fervent fanbase, and sold really well. I think it's got a lot of love.

Infinite Stratos, similarly to K, sold really well and is getting a second season. Its Western release was met well by fans of, uh, that sort of stuff. It's also one of the few titles I can think of that people consistently list among some of their favourite fanservice titles. ALSO highly appreciated.

Guilty Crown is a show I'm surprised people actually like, let alone has as many fans as it does.

Side Pocket wrote:

RahXephon
Yes, this. Something people need to stop saying is an Evangelion rip-off.

Personally, I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread: Flag. Criminally underappreciated work that's one of the more successful entries in the found-footage genre, despite being an anime. It's a cold political story, though, so it's not for everybody. But I found it enticing.

Shion no Ou is also a relatively competent mystery series that I find combines the intensity of a sports anime with the thrill of a murder mystery.
Topic Starter
Sleepy Tori
^
wow ur an anime master
Ideolo
Scrapped Princess needs some love.
Seriously, bagpipes.
I know the guitar ruins it but come on, bagpipes.
Topic Starter
Sleepy Tori
I heard that Infinite Stratos' second season is canceled though o.O
Am i wrong"
Mogsy
Um, no. It's coming out this fall. Source your rumors.
mathexpert
K-ON! is extremely underrated and I would consider it to be a hidden gem
Knarf
K is underappreciated.
Then I think of Chaos;head... How come ppl always say S;G is better?
Rio-
Need More Love for Infinite Stratos & Puella Magi Madoka Magica :(

kookookook wrote:

I'm still consider C;H is better than S;G though (In Anime, but not for the VN)
Apex_old
I will say these two excellent, unknown animes again:

Monster

Mushishi

P.S.: C;H is a piece of crap. It's about a weak harem protgaonist saving the world with her girls, the plotline has no real "science", orginally the script was weak and all it really was the VN systems, and the artstyle is just...
Topic Starter
Sleepy Tori
Thanks for telling me about Infinite Stratos. I really thought the second season was cancelled -.-'

anyways im adding.

High School Debut

as a manga title.

IT SHOULD'VE BEEN MADE INTO AN ANIME!!!
(it did get a live-action movie though)
Ideolo

mathexpert9981 wrote:

K-ON! is actually rather highly rated, I'm going to guess it's the moe. :3
Mogsy

mathexpert9981 wrote:

dis guy

kookookook wrote:

K is underappreciated.

Mogsworth, page 1 wrote:

K sold well and is getting a second season. Not to mention it's already got an English dub and a VERY large Western fanbase. It's HIGHLY appreciated.

satriobp wrote:

Need More Love for Infinite Stratos & Puella Magi Madoka Magica :(
You're kidding, right?

Madoka is probably one of the most popular titles out there right now, and its success is on par with stuff like Evangelion. It's got a number of spinoffs and a successful film line so far. As for Infinite Stratos:

Mogsworth, page 1 wrote:

Infinite Stratos, similarly to K, sold really well and is getting a second season. Its Western release was met well by fans of, uh, that sort of stuff. It's also one of the few titles I can think of that people consistently list among some of their favourite fanservice titles. ALSO highly appreciated.
Also: despite the lack of financial success for both Monster and Mushishi, both are highly regarded among fans and critics alike (well, Monster less so than its manga, since it's the exact damn thing and doesn't use the medium of animation to its full potential). Heck, I've gotten people into anime using Mushishi, so hey.

Please keep in mind that just because you like something doesn't mean other people don't. :P
Taadashi
Monster for sure is one of the most underrated, yet most well made animes out there.
Destiny
Baccano! needs more love honestly!
Ideolo
I like how many of the animes in this thread are rather popular.
Mogsy

Ideolo wrote:

I like how many of the animes in this thread are rather popular.
It's quite disheartening.

Baccano! is one of the more well-known titles outside of Japan (especially for modern Western fans), for instance, and Monster is renown despite its whole DVD release never finishing over here (hell, it even aired on American television and the manga is being adapted for a live-action HBO show). So, yeah, both are pretty well-known.

Using a metric off of sites like Animeplanet, MAL, and ANN can determine how many users of each site have seen certain titles, and using these numbers you can compare certain shows to others. Use this before posting, people, please. Then there are also sales metrics and what users tend to talk about on sites/forums, but the latter is harder to track and sales numbers don't always correlate to new seasons being made and whatnot. They're still useful info, though, to make a more informed post.
Nostalgia

snlrocks wrote:

Despite the Yaoi fanbase, I love this anime dearly.
AmberLynx
Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san
Luna
I'd like to add two more movies that I had planned to watch for a long time but never got around to until now.
The Dog of Flanders - Beautiful and sad story based on a classic Flemish tale. Feels a lot like a Ghibli movie. Only around #2700 in MAL popularity despite being one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Please give this a watch, it really deserves more love.
Angel's Egg - I'll admit that this isn't for everyone. It's a slow-paced story with pretty amazing sound direction. There are only two characters (both unnamed) and hardly any dialogue. Read the MAL description for more info on the "plot" if you are interested.
Kyonko Hizara

kookookook wrote:

K is underappreciated.
Because it is?
mathexpert

Ideolo wrote:

mathexpert9981 wrote:

K-ON! is actually rather highly rated, I'm going to guess it's the moe. :3
Lol surely you knew I was being sarcastic :P

For real though, hidamari sketch is often overlooked. I literally don't know anybody I'll that has seen it:/
show more