forum

Is there anything tablet does better then mouse?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Josh The Biker
Such as spinning, etc? Basically I'm asking for the pros and cons of the art known as tablet gameplay. Mine is coming in the mail tomorrow and I plan to play with a tablet and keyboard.
Frostmourne
only repositioning afaik. tablet doesn't need that.
Oinari-sama
Tablets are absolute tracking, ie your cursor can "teleport" if you lift the pen and touch down anywhere on the set drawing area. That gets rid of all the mouse acceleration based problems (both software/hardware side).

And tablet pens are a lot lighter than an average mouse - unless you got the type that requires batteries =.=
Almost
There are no real benefits of playing tablet over mouse since it's all subjective. I personally find it funner though.
Pettanko
Tablet is easier to learn than mouse.

lol
RaneFire

Frostmourne wrote:

only repositioning afaik. tablet doesn't need that.

Almost wrote:

There are no real benefits of playing tablet over mouse since it's all subjective.

Pettanko wrote:

Tablet is easier to learn than mouse.
These are all QFT in one way or another.
All because of relative positioning over time while playing. It's the only real difference. In a sandbox situation you can do everything with either peripheral.

But subjectively:

The difference in learning difficulty with mouse is that you have to learn the game and get better at handling drift at the same time. With tablet you just need to learn the game. There's a few other differences in playing, like "note-snapping," but nothing that can't be done with either, everything takes practice and reading is another issue.

Drift from relative positioning affects all levels of play and how much is induced also depends on the map and it's speed, relative to what you are comfortable with (you drift more by playing stuff you aren't comfortable with), it grows on you as you play and it is because of this that it is the most tricky dynamic ever and that's why it's the only one worth mentioning. But good mouse players can master it very well, it's just 1 more thing to master.

SPOILER
Drift = your mouse moves slowly out of a comfortable posture and it makes playing by muscle memory require much more adaptation than a tablet. Sometimes you can hit the edge of your playing surface, and this is the worst. People commonly blame acceleration, but this can be fixed and we aren't talking about that here. Even with pure 1:1 movement, just because your mouse pad is square does not mean you're playing on a grid... imagine your grid axes rotating with your mouse, centered around the sensor of your mouse... and it is this that causes drift.
winber1
you also won't need to deal with the friction caused by the mouse pad. Basically this helps keep you mouse in the same place, but it also makes streams a little harder imo (even for mouse and keyboard). On tablet, you will generally hover and you will have more fluid movements (but you will need to get used to this hovering first). Even if you don't hover, since the pen nib and tablet surface is just some kind of plastic or something, it's still pretty smooth.

Well if not harder, it's definitely a different feeling and requires a different set of movements to accomplish
chox_old
you can do same things as tablet players using mouse, just requires more practice and some basic knowledge behind it (like turning off acceleration to develop muscle memory and other things..)

and i find it more fun to play with mouse than with tablet, but that's just preference, soon you'll find out if you like it or not ;)
Arcanine
tablet is just generally easier to play with imo

mouse is fun though :3
Loves
No friction with tablet, but thats about it.

Look at where SilviA ended up.
Saint_old
easier to learn than mouse
more accurate at times i guess
all my records are tablet but i dragged pen also i play offline with mouse acceleration on sometimes so idk about the people saying less friction lol
Rio-
Tablet have more advantages than Mouse :
- For Jumpy Maps, make things a lot easier
- Teleporting Cursor
* But I suggest You don't depend on Tablet too much, When You change to Tablet... Your ability in Mouse has decreasing alot when You're not using Mouse (I suggest that You can use Tablet for Ranks, and Mouse for Playing Leisurely... But It's up to you though)
Wieckk
Basically tablets are easier to learn and use. For mouses, I think you need to download something to remove mouse acceleration but for tablets, its in the settings already. Tablets can move faster and can be easily controlled than the mouse in my opinion.
Rio-

xXHaruhiXx wrote:

For mouses, I think you need to download something to remove mouse acceleration
This One, but I see no difference with It's Active or Not.....
http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/201 ... n-fix.html
RaneFire

satriobp wrote:

xXHaruhiXx wrote:

For mouses, I think you need to download something to remove mouse acceleration
This One, but I see no difference with It's Active or Not.....
http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.com/201 ... n-fix.html
Noticing the link, you probably use windows 7.
It does nothing unless Enhance Pointer Precision is enabled, as stated in his blog.
This is apparently because windows 7's mouse curve is already perfect, unlike predecessor windows versions.

The acceleration you need to look out for is hardware based, in the mouse itself, thanks to the sensor and/or its algorithms... and also driver software on some mice. That's why people go on about "best mouse" and stuff. Shape and features are usually ignored in those discussions.