forum

How Did You View Osu! as a New Player?

posted
Total Posts
show more
koromo

ShinseinaTenshi wrote:

Then I realised that normal songs are hard as hell and hard difficulties were impossible, regarding insanes, I thought that was a difficulty that was designed for "the chosen ones". I won't even go on what i thought of Renard - Banned Forever at that point..
This is exactly what I came here to post.

Also it took me like a million retries over a few months to FC some [Normal] maps. Some remnants can still be found in my most played beatmaps list.

As a side note, I would also complain to my friends for wanting to play [Easy] in multiplayer. I was clearly superior since I could play [Normal].
Bucker
>:( >:( hmm.....
My Performance rankings does not work.
[size=150]
Mamoru Senpai
"Oh maaaan, my mate is such a pro (While he's beating Yousei no Koukei [insane]), I will never be so good"
Taadashi
First tried Osu! in 2009 and thought it was possible. I gave up pretty quickly. :P

Then last year I learned there was a new mode called osu!mania and came back to play that. :)
Zare

Aqo wrote:

I thought [Normal]s were hard.
CXu
Rio-

CsavarNat16 wrote:

There's circles everywhere..

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

Something I could pass time as a side game
NixXSkate
I remember watching the top players of 2010 video right when I started and thinking that they were alternating 2 fingers on the left mouse button only to do streams.

Also, it was love at first sight. At first I thought that there was a great variance of tracks that I loved, or needed to discover. (Unfortunately that belief only lasted before 2012.)
Topic Starter
Shiningbolt

CXu wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/2626
Care to explain more on this one?
I'm guessing you played it a lot, but...
Nines

Zarerion wrote:

Aqo wrote:

I thought [Normal]s were hard.
Dude, Easy songs were still hard. I had no knowledge that keyboard buttons could be used, and when I did, it took a while to get used to.
evanma
I got pissed at how bad I was (I actually noticed XD), and just kept on playing more and more and more, especially of the same song then slowly add mods till all 4 and then I got kinda better XD.
BeatofIke
Well back in 2010, I watched a Youtube video of someone playing osu! At first glance, the game didn't interest me at the slightest bit so I didn't even bother installing it. Also, thought the game wasn't free anyway. EPIC FAIL! A year later, RIP recommended me to play this game and I enjoyed it.

At first, osu! was just a side game (including SWR and UNL) to play since Stepmania was getting boring after playing it for almost 5 years at the time and making endless simfiles, then it eventually became my new game to play. osu! was the reason I discovered nightcore music (since I never heard of nightcore music in my life) , watched more anime, play more eroge, and understanding more "internet" terms (i.e lol, lmao, orz, etc.).

...and here I thought that Stepmaina would be my last game to play before I moved on in life. Turns out that I was dead wrong XD.
CodeS
*back in 2011*
oh this looks coo....
[Plays a Song]
WHAT IS THIS WHY IS SO HARD.

*uninstalll*

*January 2013*

Some Friends: hey let's play Osu!
me: nah I don't have an account... oh wait I do actually have one.. ok let's play!

and then here I'm, I hate myself for ignoring the game back in 2011
hinamizawan
Back then in early 2010 I've only played osu! for Pokémon beatmaps :D
CXu

Shiningbolt wrote:

CXu wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/2626
Care to explain more on this one?
I'm guessing you played it a lot, but...
Uh, well. Basically it was "wtf?!"
Moway
I found out about the game through a Starcraft player named Kawaiirice. I was a fan of EBA and Rock Band as well before that and I'm really into music in general so I got hooked pretty quickly.
Zalaria
I'm so glad I actually decided to make my osu account ^^ I mean, before I even joined the community I was watching my sister play. It looked really fun. Then I saw replays of WubWoofWolf and Cookiezi and said "wtf is this possible?!?" So I got really nervous thinking I would suck at this game >.< And so after much convincing I finally made my account, and turns out I was getting some pretty good scores. I'm never gonna forget that first leaderboard spot I got on "Strange Paradise" <3 That was like, the best day ever ^^
TheVileOne
This question brings back very fond memories. Back then there were maps that people called impossible to FC and they were serious. this was before the cookiezis and other pros of today existed. H1ko was number 1 on the leaderboards.

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/12998 was one of the first songs I downloaded if not the first one. I got hooked at the challenge the game provided and I kept playing, hanging out in the multiplayer rooms. My skills pretty much stagnated. It took me 8 months to become consistent at Hard modes. I didn't think Hards were impossible, but I was not very good at them. I saved the impossible tag for the majority of the Insanes I tried.

It was only a few months before I decided to take up mapping and modding and hanging out on #modhelp. Since my skill at playing osu! wasn't improving, I devoted my time to modding maps instead. I discovered I was much better at fixing maps than I was at playing them and I think that is still true today.

Edit: @cxu Yea, small circles and complicated patterns. I downloaded that map when I was new and I was not nearly accurate enough to follow the circles.
winber1
probably a few days in i was like

"wat dafuq cookiezi?"
[Kanzaki Ranko]
"Doomsday has no life, he's #1 on Ranked Score with (I think) 10 billion ranked score".
Thought pretty much the same about Ana_Coppola due to total score (and being the only Level 101)

And I had a sense of improvement by SSing nomod 1stars.
And I thought Hidden was hardest mod (possibly because most maps from when I started were awfully timed).
brendada
My hand was sweating trying to full combo a 3 star song with no mods... :?
Da7shadow
:x
Zare

winber1 wrote:

"wat dafuq cookiezi?"
aren't you still like that?
pielak213
­
winber1

Zarerion wrote:

winber1 wrote:

"wat dafuq cookiezi?"
aren't you still like that?
what he does seems more accomplishable now.

back then he could dt fc shit i couldn't even beat nomod, so i was all like haxplsban

now all he does is dt fc stuff that I can at least beat with an okay accuracy.
Raging Bull
Watching replays when I was new made me want to achieve that kind of skill level.

I still don't have those kind of skill level so I don't watch replays.
Destiny
I was down to play as soon as my friend told me it was a rhythm game. I literally fell in love the same night and have never had osu! uninstalled on a computer.
Shining Rune
Like others, i say the same.

A friend brought me here, i don't liked it at first, but months later i was bored and i downloaded osu.
Damn, it was addictive.
My first song played was Guren no Yumiya, from Shingeki no Kyojin.
My Angel Newnew
Huh, whats the appeal of this game, why do popular streamers play this. Its just circles everywhere...
-A day later-
SCREW HOMEWORK, NOONE NEEDS HOMEWORK, OSU ALL DAY! THIS GAMES GREAT.
Aresous
My initial reaction was: "I need to buy a $70 dollar tablet to get on the leaderboard... fukin (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻"
(I don't know how to play games for "fun")
Hello Skitty
i thought i would have to play for a year before i could pass rubiks cube 7x7x7

a month after starting i bought tablet, few days later i was already passing it
Asagi Mutsuki
"wait what did you say there is actually a taiko game for computer with a scoreboard, youre kidding me right"

been playing since
Slith
few months ago there was a post about osu on an fb anime page on my wall and thinking this was nice.. then i remembered i had a shitty computer. a few weeks later they posted it again and decided to put an all-nighter downloading the game then after i saw the download page i was like 40/mb WTF!? and i was thinking i could've played it months ago. been playing ever since.
djjsixpack
I first thought double time was like a showy thing that people chose to put on their replays because it looked impossibly fast, I didn't even consider it to be how it actually was played. 2 years later, I can do the same thing :p
Evalegend77
Initial Reaction was :

"Oh, this game look like a funny Spin-off of Elite Beats Agent/Ouedan"
(I discover this game on a League of legends Stream...yeah)

And well, i was good on the Ds because of the tactil screen, but it's different now, and i don't really want to buy a tablet just for this game so...
I play with the Keyboard + mouse, it's enough for me, even if because of that, it's really hard for songs in harder difficulty.

Now i try to find some good songs (yeah, i use osu as a playlist too while playing others games...: D )with the differents packs to add more variety (but i avoid all Touhou songs, there too much of them, and it's not for me, except "Owen was her" ).
Kanye West
i watched a lot of bikko replays, thinking that there was no way this guy can legitly play like how he did

two years later, yeah he's still a cheater
raww_old

JapanPanda2 wrote:

Huh, whats the appeal of this game, why do popular streamers play this. Its just circles everywhere...
-A day later-
yep

popular streamers play osu!?
Setsuen
I joined and started playing Guilty crown songs doing hard and normal on NF+SO while ignoring easy because I thought easy was too easy.. turns out easy wasn't THAT easy after all. After that I was literally praying every single time I played Zoetrope(Amnesia) on Spinout because 99% of the time I failed on the second spinner. This nightmare finally ended when I got to lvl30 and FINALLY learned how to spin.. half decently :o
Soarezi

raww wrote:

JapanPanda2 wrote:

-A day later-
yep

popular streamers play osu!?
well some LoL players plays Osu inbetween ques, for example TSM Dyrus and uhh robertxlee i think it was.
TakuMii
(back in 2009)
this game is so hard with a mouse (note: I was using an old barely-functional wireless mouse)
i bet all of the pros use touch screens
none of the songs have Ouendan-style storyboards (note: I didn't know about this map at the time)
why don't the authentic maps have storyboards
wow why is it lagging (note: I was attempting to play osu! on a Pentium 3)
I give up (note: uninstalled osu! and/or HDD died, after about 10-15 playcount)

(in 2012, when I actually started playing)
hey this game still exists
I have a wired mouse and an i7 laptop now, let's do this
you can use keyboard to click?
woah there's music from anime I watch
how can people be this good (note: after watching a video of someone passing Valkyrie Dimension on Insane)
ooh I can probably pass some of these maps on touch-screen, I'll just play the same song over and over until I can pass it on mouse (most notably, Sakura Sunrise on Hard)
show more