1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings
show more
posted
I guess you haven't played guitar hero. Any game that breaks a multiplier that increases your score is going to have issues with less accuracy producing more points. I'm not sure how osu! compared to other games with such issues, but I don't think I need to. All of these types of games fall into the same boat. \

How osu! treats letter games is irrelevant. Score is relevant. osu! could just as simply just assign letter grade based on score and your imaginary problem would be solved.

Edit: besides, osu's system provides the most variety in score variation.
posted
Oh, it's you. Yes, the current system scores things differently. It was overhauled because players would sit and grind their playcount up, making the ranking system based on how long one had played the game, as opposed to skill. As it is, the scoring system is intended to favour better accuracy and direct competition with other players. There's an entire page on the scoring system, so read around a bit more if you haven't already.

The scoring overhaul should take accuracy into account anyway--at least, that's what I hope. As it is, there are too many variables to make easy work of creating a perfect scoring system. The old way was simple, but not especially fair and was based entirely on score. Besides, as Vile said, scoring multipliers are always going to break a perfect playthrough and therefore cripple one's score when an object is missed. There has to be some kind of score-based element somewhere.

Of course, there's a conceptually easy way to deal with this: Play a map flawlessly and you won't need to worry about the impact of misses. That's what practice is for.
posted

D33d wrote:

Oh, it's you. Yes, the current system scores things differently. It was overhauled because players would sit and grind their playcount up, making the ranking system based on how long one had played the game, as opposed to skill. As it is, the scoring system is intended to favour better accuracy and direct competition with other players. There's an entire page on the scoring system, so read around a bit more if you haven't already.

The scoring overhaul should take accuracy into account anyway--at least, that's what I hope. As it is, there are too many variables to make easy work of creating a perfect scoring system. The old way was simple, but not especially fair and was based entirely on score. Besides, as Vile said, scoring multipliers are always going to break a perfect playthrough and therefore cripple one's score when an object is missed. There has to be some kind of score-based element somewhere.

Of course, there's a conceptually easy way to deal with this: Play a map flawlessly and you won't need to worry about the impact of misses. That's what practice is for.
if you play in multis. it will certainly piss someone off when he finds out he lost despite having 99% accuracy against a 98.5% player because he 100'ed the last note while the latter got his 100's on early parts of the game. you can always set up the match into accuracy-based, but who the hell uses that?
posted

Koko Ban wrote:

D33d wrote:

Oh, it's you. Yes, the current system scores things differently. It was overhauled because players would sit and grind their playcount up, making the ranking system based on how long one had played the game, as opposed to skill. As it is, the scoring system is intended to favour better accuracy and direct competition with other players. There's an entire page on the scoring system, so read around a bit more if you haven't already.

The scoring overhaul should take accuracy into account anyway--at least, that's what I hope. As it is, there are too many variables to make easy work of creating a perfect scoring system. The old way was simple, but not especially fair and was based entirely on score. Besides, as Vile said, scoring multipliers are always going to break a perfect playthrough and therefore cripple one's score when an object is missed. There has to be some kind of score-based element somewhere.

Of course, there's a conceptually easy way to deal with this: Play a map flawlessly and you won't need to worry about the impact of misses. That's what practice is for.
if you play in multis. it will certainly piss someone off when he finds out he lost despite having 99% accuracy against a 98.5% player because he 100'ed the last note while the latter got his 100's on early parts of the game. you can always set up the match into accuracy-based, but who the hell uses that?
That's like me complaining about not being able to play a game purely off accuracy, but refusing to play taiko/mania
posted
I like how people always point out how this is supposed to be a rhythm game, but always forget that this is also a rhythm game.
posted

boat wrote:

Play taiko or mania. All about accuracy.
excusez-moi but I thought taiko also used combo --> multiplier .

And as for standard mode, yeah I'm well aware of the shortcomings but as to whether or not this should be changed. meh. I'm fine with complete anarchy and change/re-ordering of the scoring/ranking system to be more accurate, or just to keep everything the same. (play for fun anyways right?)

Full Tablet wrote:

Wouldn't be hard to implement really: The game stores those values during the song:
A = The score you gained in previous combos (initial value: 0)
B = The base score of your current combo (initial value: 0)
M = The current combo multiplier (initial value: x1.0)


During each combo, each hit increases B and M.
When there is a combo break or the song ends, add to A the current value of B*M. Then make B zero again, and M x1.0
At any given time, the score shown in-game is A+B*M
The final score is A.
THIS sounds good.

Tanzklaue wrote:

I like how people always point out how this is supposed to be a rhythm game, but always forget that this is also a rhythm game.
OMG you just blew my mind
posted
If you're good enough to get 1x miss in the middle of a map with 99% acc, then you're good enough to FC it. Same thing applies with getting a 100 on the last note as opposed to getting it early on.

That is the entire purpose of the retry button.
posted

evanma wrote:

boat wrote:

Play taiko or mania. All about accuracy.
excusez-moi but I thought taiko also used combo --> multiplier .
but not as exponential as standard does:



not exactly accurate, but it's pretty much like that.
Paint ftw
posted

XK2238 wrote:

evanma wrote:

excusez-moi but I thought taiko also used combo --> multiplier .
but not as exponential as standard does:



not exactly accurate, but it's pretty much like that.
Paint ftw
ahh, okay. I kinda get it now.

so basically overall its not a big factor, but it still factors just enough for those small differences in top 50?
lol, I always thought it was exactly the same as standard mode. my whole life has been a lie XD
posted
all our lifes are lies
posted
Welcome to one of the reasons I don't play this game much anymore. Once all of the scores i was hella proud of got destroyed by 92% modded scores, I was done. There's also the failure to get people to realize higher OD is better since it requires people to be more accurate. Let me just stop before i list the 100 reasons why I don't play much anymore.

Also CondorTalon, just wanted to say i love your ITG charts. You and gpop's touhou pack is so much fun. Plus i think we share the same favorite touhou character, so high five!
posted
who the hell are you
posted

Macacito wrote:

who the hell are you
You must be new around here. Cyclone is a really good player and was really pronounced early on in the community.

Blast from the past time



I'm in agreence with him though, mods with crap accuracy destroy people with good accuracy and less/no mods. People get rewarded more for doing bad, it just doesn't make sense.
posted
ppv2 will fix a lot of the accuracy issues, but it's still not reflected in the main score, where it should be.
posted

peppy wrote:

ppv2 will fix a lot of the accuracy issues, but it's still not reflected in the main score, where it should be.
I hope you weigh the hardest difficulties exponentially more than hard/normal/easy to get rid of the issue with people farming them.

If you can beat a lot of insane maps with high accuracy it shows you're a good player.
Not sure if this is going off-topic...
posted

Macacito wrote:

who the hell are you
Macacito if you make one more post I will personally make sure that every fiber of your being is destroyed.

It makes sense to reward players more for completing a beatmap with mods, even if their accuracy is a bit lower, because they were able to complete a harder beatmap. I play with hidden only, and even though my accuracy may suffer, I feel I should be higher placed because I'm playing with something that makes the beatmap more difficult. Same with scores above me. I see a lot of A and B HD DT scores, but I see that they were able to pass the beatmap with those hinderances, and should be give that extra recognition.

I don't see it much being rewarded for doing bad as it is being rewarded for what you did good, even if it took a little toll on your accuracy.
posted

Pettanko wrote:

If you're good enough to get 1x miss in the middle of a map with 99% acc, then you're good enough to FC it. Same thing applies with getting a 100 on the last note as opposed to getting it early on.

That is the entire purpose of the retry button.
hahahahaha no
posted
@CDFA: Hidden hinders your aiming at most. Accuracy on hitting notes should be on listening for it. If you're getting bad accuracy on hidden it just shows you're not listening to the music. Stacks are probably where you're going to take a hit on for accuracy though because it's hard to see, but if you play no mod and then use hidden afterward it isn't hard. Honestly it has always been hidden is just free points to boost you up on rankings more.

Edit:
I'd take Hidden as being skill when you play it with EZ, then it becomes suffering.
posted
The score system in this game makes no sense, also, this game is not about accuracy, even when some people wants to think it is. Accuracy will help you a lot, but what you really want to exceed at is aim (also, speed).
posted
This game is about how fast you can move two fingers up and down aka stream speed
show more
Please sign in to reply.