forum

[Rules Change] Storyboard images size limit

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
popner
Storyboard images must be at a reasonable size for their usage. For most uses (e.g. full-screen images), the maximum is 800x600 pixels, although 640x480 is highly preferred. The editor is 640x480 at default, so there's really no need to use anything larger for full-screen purposes.
The maximum dimensions for tall or wide scrolling images are 640x1440 and 1920x480 respectively. This is for the sake of gameplay performance, image loading time, and filesize.
I'd like to suggest:
For now, Move these to guideline, since the storyboarders can split the big images while using more SB codes, and the performance will not be changed. Technically the rule rules nothing. (And file size limit and SB load limit are enough here IMO)
In the future, when it is technically fine, change the dimension limits to a proper amount, since we have larger BG size now and this seems outdated.
Shohei Ohtani
If we're changes to the storyboard rules, can we also get dimensions for widescreen SB images, now that widescreen storyboarding is supported.
Wafu
I think it's okay since storyboard is 640x480 so why should we use even bigger images? I don't just understand. If you can, explain a bit please..
Garven
Say I want to storyboard a scrolling level based off a shooter that's essentially a very long image that scrolls by slowly.

I could cut it up and try to line them up piece by piece technically, but it'd be a pain.
Wafu
Oh.. so yeah, I should support. Good change. I didn't just realize that something as Garven said could affect it, I'm idiot :D
Currently I change the rule so every resolution would be allowed, but your storyboard cannot go over any filesize limit, which would be discussed here.
11t
I think the storyboard image size limit definitely does need an update, especially since 800x600 doesn't seem like an adequate maximum for widescreen storyboard elements with a 16:9 ratio.
Nyquill

11t wrote:

I think the storyboard image size limit definitely does need an update, especially since 800x600 doesn't seem like an adequate maximum for widescreen storyboard elements with a 16:9 ratio.
we need to pass RC about this soon since widescreen SBs do work now and current RCs prevent them from getting ranked.
[Luanny]
Just a note, the size for a fullscreen wide sprite should be 882x496 to cover the whole playfield on 16:9 ratio
At least that's the number a got while testing many resolutions
D33d
All of my support. The current restrictions can make things look pretty nasty.
Nyquill

[Luanny] wrote:

Just a note, the size for a fullscreen wide sprite should be 882x496 to cover the whole playfield on 16:9 ratio
At least that's the number a got while testing many resolutions
Thats an excellent place to start. Do we have a resolution for a 16:10 sprite? We should add all of these and move the entire rule to guidelines.
[Luanny]
I don't have any ways to test it, I think
My native resolution is 16:9
And btw, 16:9 storyboards would look off for 16:10, I think? This is a problem. D:
Topic Starter
popner
Old limit: 640x480 = 0.625*(1024x768) now it should be 0.625*(1366x768)=854x480.

New guideline will be:
Limit:
640x480, 854x480(wide screen)
tall scrolling images: 640x1440, 854x1440(wide screen)
wide scrolling images: 1920x480, 2560x480(wide screen)
lolcubes
Uh, from what I know, you can use 1024x768 and 1366x768 images if they are used as backgrounds. Sprites are still limited to 640x480 though. Or was that changed too?
Topic Starter
popner

lolcubes wrote:

Uh, from what I know, you can use 1024x768 and 1366x768 images if they are used as backgrounds. Sprites are still limited to 640x480 though. Or was that changed too?
For now just change to guideline, and add widescreen support. We really lack inputs now...

The 0.625 ratio is because the dimensions of objects in SB editor are smaller than BG. I believe that 1024x768 is better but I think this needs technical support.

Edit:

Confirmed, so limit:
1440x900 1600x900(wide screen)
tall scrolling images: 1440x2700, 1600x2700(wide screen)
wide scrolling images: 4320x900, 4800x900(wide screen)
Scorpiour
1440x900 is fine
[Luanny]

popner wrote:

Old limit: 640x480 = 0.625*(1024x768) now it should be 0.625*(1366x768)=854x480.

[Luanny] wrote:

I don't know why, but this is the number
854x480 won't cover the playfield

Btw
About resizing the sprite to fit the criteria: this is really bad because part of the quality literally goes away
If we have a "limit", at least put it higher
We even have high resolution skins, why not high resolution storyboards with bigger images? D:
A big sprite scaled to fit the playfield has WAY better quality than a resized one.
A 854x480 sprite would look "meh" on higher resolutions
lolcubes
Depends on the sprite. If there are transparent areas, you will most likely be better off with 640x480 rather than resizing into that. Also, sprites are usually much smaller than that.
I think people are mixing up the term sprites here. :p
[Luanny]
I mean those who covers the whole playfield like flashing backgrounds for example or scrolling backgrounds
For transparent stuff I agree
hoshisorakiseki
some suggestion:
1.640x480 or 800x600 pixel is too outdated, i think.
2.this rule is in a large extent to limit the widescreen storyboard.
SPOILER
when i want to use the black background in some times. the normal screen is OK but the widescreen is not. it made the picture in the center and the background is shown in the sides. it's ugly.
and then, i try to split to two objects, but it's not smooth what i feel. and it may increase the SB Load.
3.for the compatibility. we can keep the most of the objects in the centre (4:3 pixel position). and the widescreen have a better effect.(some objects out of the centre.) for example: the black, the tile object, etc.
4.i think StoryBoard is like PowerPoint. PowerPoint support widescreen since PowerPoint 2007. and, the background support widescreen now, why SB not?
5.osu! is support the widescreen StoryBoard. i tried it.
Kytoxid
Let's get this going again. I'm supportive of changing the rule to a guideline with dimensions based on popner's post here:

popner wrote:

New guideline will be:
Limit:
640x480, 854x480(wide screen)
tall scrolling images: 640x1440, 854x1440(wide screen)
wide scrolling images: 1920x480, 2560x480(wide screen)
I'm not sure where the larger set of dimensions later came from, could you clarify?
Ephemeral
This does not appear to be a tangible issue as of the time of posting. Marking as denied for now, since the current sprite resolution limit seems to be serving experienced storyboarders well enough.