forum

My Theory on How to Play Better

posted
Total Posts
show more
rexcannon
I play on a giant screen in 1080, no disabled visuals with all kinda of stuff going on around me. Just don't over think it and play, it's fun.
RaneFire

Zarerion wrote:

Guys what the fuck
this is a game, NOT a drug.
I dunno about this game, but in quake 3 defrag, there are a lot of players who play while on drugs.
chox_old

Zarerion wrote:

a trance-like state where you don't even realize what you're doing is not what you should aim for when playing a game lol
really? so please explain me the one and the only way you should aim for when playing game which you'd bet your life on as it is the only "true" way of playing games
ability to forget about everything and just playing with clear mind is bad?
trying to be good in something is bad? it isn't "fun"?
fun is relative term, some like to try their hardest and develop in something and others rather play non seriously "having fun" or just use it as cover of fact that they're being incapable
if this game wasn't "fun" for me i wouldn't play it at all
sheesh
Zare

chox wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

a trance-like state where you don't even realize what you're doing is not what you should aim for when playing a game lol
really? so please explain me the one and the only way you should aim for when playing game which you'd bet your life on as it is the only "true" way of playing games
ability to forget about everything and just playing with clear mind is bad?
I was able to keep up with you here. but no, playing with a clear mind is not bad, but you really make it sound like you're ascending to another dimension when playing or something

chox wrote:

trying to be good in something is bad? it isn't "fun"?
wait what, when did I say anything about trying to be good

chox wrote:

fun is relative term, some like to try their hardest and develop in something and others rather play non seriously "having fun" or just use it as cover of fact that they're being incapable
if this game wasn't "fun" for me i wouldn't play it at all
sheesh
wtf, how can you miss my point to such an extent. I know how fun and satisfying improving is, i'm experiencing it myself each day. But in order to improve you don't need to disable everything there is on the screen. period. Every good player knows that he should focus on the circles when playing a game about clicking circles.
I never said anything about you having fun or not or whatever. now get off your high horse, please.
Topic Starter
Meeesheww

Zarerion wrote:

sound like you're ascending to another dimension when playing or something
It is very simple actually. Maybe its because you are 'simple minded' so this stuff just seems so bizarre to you.

you don't need to disable everything there is on the screen
Disabling stuff is personal preference. I didn't say you need to disable everything in order to be good. Personally i don't like the invisible health bar but thats just me.

Zarerion wrote:

Guys what the fuck
this is a game, NOT a drug.
Since when is relaxing and keeping a clear mind a drug. Is meditating a drug as well? I said keep an open mind because i knew people like you wouldn't understand. Please go somewhere else and if not stop being so negative. Thank you!
RaneFire
Chill guys.

Zakdawg already pointed out exactly what this state is... "flow."

If you haven't already, go read the article he linked.

All this stuff about left-brain / right-brain is just trying to colour it up for explanatory purposes with twisted terminology. I can assure you both sides of your brain are doing their job, what changes is the method. It's like counting marbles... you can count them 1 by 1 (or in the case of osu! read the numbers), or you can just look at them and count them by grouping patterns. This can actually be applied to osu! since it is involved in "reading." But you're not "actually" counting anything, you just know, and do it.
kriers
Mind control.
Topic Starter
Meeesheww

kriers wrote:

Mind control.
Is this your explanation to all this?
Zare

Meeesheww wrote:

kriers wrote:

Mind control.
Is this your explanation to all this?
kriers is a genius when it comes to explaining stuff, isn't he? Not even joking. He sums it up in 2 words.
Topic Starter
Meeesheww
Does kriers have his own little quote? Kinda like "because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a Dark Knight..." -Batman. If not then he doesn't he needs one.
thelewa

Zarerion wrote:

And, a trance-like state where you don't even realize what you're doing is not what you should aim for when playing a game lol
but that's pretty much exactly how every top player plays

you can't get good accuracy if you make a conscious effort at it

you have to be in this sort of trance where you just let things happen, it's probably the same for aim too
flamschmit
thanks for the great topic op. I do not understand why some people are being so mean, but on the whole this thread was an interesting read for me.
Antero

Zarerion wrote:

You must be new to video games
Wishy

flamschmit wrote:

thanks for the great topic op. I do not understand why some people are being so mean, but on the whole this thread was an interesting read for me.
Mostly because people have been talking about this on this same sub-forum for years.
Lapis-
>Post relevant information that can help people improve, the point of Gameplay forum
>"lol its just a game wtf"
flamschmit

Wishy wrote:

flamschmit wrote:

Mostly because people have been talking about this on this same sub-forum for years.

the fact that people have talked about this topic sparsely for the past years probably has nothing to do with being mean to the op
winber1
It's rather more the fact that the older community will think, "Oh look, another new player trying to solve the "how to improve faster" problem that half the people keep asking about." Then they read it, and they realize this was pretty much as useless as many of the other threads people have posted back in the day.

We have nothing against the op, but more or less, we have not benefited much from reading it. If it helps the newer players, then so be it. Let each person decide how he or she should use this information
Wishy

flamschmit wrote:

the fact that people have talked about this topic sparsely for the past years probably has nothing to do with being mean to the op
We get theories from unexperienced players all the time and all of them are either useless or painfully obvious (TRY TO BE COMFORTABLE, DON'T GET NERVOUS!!!). The only possible outcome from posting a shit/obvious theory is people being mean to you, mainly because you obviously didn't read a shit before posting, and because your post is bad.
Zare
And beginners are not gonna read any thread here anyway. The VERY moment they become theorists they will figure this out themselves.
Omgforz
I beg to differ, this thread has actually helped me a bit.
I used to subconsciously get into the zone without even knowing it, but since 3 days I'm trying to "consciously" getting into the zone. (basically trying to think of nothing) and it has helped a bunch.
enik
What actually helped you is called Placebo Effect a.k.a self-suggestion and instead of believing in random things people say go read something useful.