forum

[New Rule] Distance snap variety in stream

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Wafu
You shouldn't change distances in the middle of stream. It is allowed only when it fits the music, follows another instrument or music gets faster/slower. If it is used, change must be progressive.
Btw. If someone missread, this guideline doesn't afflict streams, but stream. As I said, You shouldn't change distances while stream. So it means you shouldn't have 10 1/4 notes in a row where 6 of them are snap 1.0x and 4 of them 0.2x. Obviously as I said, it can be broken if it fits the song. Also you're obviously not forced to fix differences like 0.05 of snap etc. Only those which afflict gameplay and doesn't fit the song.
Kodora
Sounds weird a bit. We have no any rules about spacing. This is point about common sence & creativity, and there are a lot of exceptions to keep this even as guideline.
By the way, not like i'm personally love to raise ds while streaming, but it never hurts me while playing. Why should we limit mapper's creativity?
TheVileOne
Why do you want this as a guideline? Do you think it is particularly needed?
Topic Starter
Wafu

Kodora wrote:

Sounds weird a bit. We have no any rules about spacing. This is point about common sence & creativity, and there are a lot of exceptions to keep this even as guideline.
By the way, not like i'm personally love to raise ds while streaming, but it never hurts me while playing. Why should we limit mapper's creativity?
Okay. Today I think I'm going to die because of your inteligency. How the hell is creativity releated to this? Also.. pointing again this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/79725. Is it creative? Yes, it's an original style and none map like this was ranked. Then rank it! Why not! It's creative so why not rank it. Just don't understand what you thing creativity is. "But it never hurts me while playing". So... there could be just 0.1 stream which suddenly, without a reason changes to 2.5 stream. And yeah, it would be rankable because it's creative.. I don't want to limit creativity. Mapper's creativity just decreases by doing this.. why would he use it so randomly? As I said, if it fits music, yes. If not, no. Tell me what the hell limits his creativity with this rule. Everything must have a reason. Saying this sentence again: "This is rhythm game, not fantasy." If you were a good mapper, you would just understand that everything what doesn't fit the music is bad.

Btw. RIP English

TheVileOne wrote:

Why do you want this as a guideline? Do you think it is particularly needed?
Why not? Make unnecessary changes while a stream is unnecessary.
Or did you mean why not a rule? Well.. I'm an idiot:D I just said that you cannot change it unless it fits the music so it shouldn't be guideline. Changing it.
TheVileOne
I didn't mean it like that. I was asking if you felt if it was problematic currently. It doesn't need to be a rule and I think it is shaky being a guideline. I don't see why people can't use different spacings for streams like they can any other part of the map.
Topic Starter
Wafu

TheVileOne wrote:

I didn't mean it like that. I was asking if you felt if it was problematic currently. It doesn't need to be a rule and I think it is shaky being a guideline. I don't see why people can't use different spacings for streams like they can any other part of the map.
Oh.. you've a bit missunderstood this. You can obvisouly use different spacing on different stream. But you cannot use different spacing on ONE stream if music doesn't call for this. I hope you understand now. If not, I can show a screen of really, ugly usage of this.
Sakura
Wafu means something like this:
o o o o  o   o  o  o o o
As unrankable. (noting all the above would be 1/4 in timeline)
Something like:

ooooooo         o  o  o  o  o  o

Being fine.

I think?
Sakura
Anyway, i think you better reword it.

Something like "Do not change spacing midstream" or something like that to avoid confusion.

With that in mind, go on with the discussion.
Topic Starter
Wafu
I exactly mean this, just to be sure. If on 01:27:270 (5) is any reason for changing the snap like increasing the volume, it feels faster, changing instrument, it's rankable. If it's exactly the same with 01:26:859 (1,2,3,4) and totally not changed in music, it is unrankable. Obviously little changes doesn't count.

And also I thing if it fits the music and is used, it should be progressive. I mean you cannot jump on 1.8 from 0.5, but you will change it first on 0.8, 1.0, 1.2 and always map few notes so it won't look so sudden. Adding this to rule too btw. I mean this.
HanzeR

peppy wrote:

State why you do not agree with it. Make sure you have a better reason than "I don't like it" or "that's not how I roll".
Topic Starter
Wafu

HanzeR wrote:

plz no
Guys... we need to discuss. Say why you don't agree, how to change the rule, not: "no."
It really won't anyhow change anything if you just reply like this.

Edit: Thanks Sakura.
ryza
If it plays bad, it is modded out.

Unnecessary rules are unnecessary.
Topic Starter
Wafu

Silynn wrote:

If it plays bad, it is modded out.

Unnecessary rules are unnecessary.
If it is modded out, it's not being fixed.
Post isn't anyhow releated to the rule. Don't post here. You can answer this on ALL rules.
ryza
I can answer this on all rules that are unnecessary, yes.

Restricting valid mapping techniques is not something that should EVER be considered.
Aqo
This is the dumbest suggestion I've seen in my life

no support
ryza

Aqo wrote:

no support
coming from someone that hates it when I map streams like that
Raging Bull
An example of what OP is saying is like Anhedonia.

Honestly, I actually like the way Anhedonia was mapped. I also likedOboro too oddly enough. And I tend to hate jump stream. If it was something like shoreline, where it's a constant jump stream then oh god. No thanks.
pieguyn
okay no
if something makes no sense then it'll get pointed out on a case-by-case basis
there is no reason to put a rule or even a guideline about this
Shohei Ohtani
Disagreeing with this.

A lot of it is hugely based off the fact that it's kind of vague. Maps like this would end up being unrankable, even though the DS changes are easily achievable.

Proposing guideline

GUIDELINE: Stream notes (multiple notes placed to be clicked rapidly) should not change distance until after the stream has been completed.
Not too strong about this rule, though.
Eni

Wafu wrote:

I exactly mean this, just to be sure. If on 01:27:270 (5) is any reason for changing the snap like increasing the volume, it feels faster, changing instrument, it's rankable. If it's exactly the same with 01:26:859 (1,2,3,4) and totally not changed in music, it is unrankable. Obviously little changes doesn't count.

And also I thing if it fits the music and is used, it should be progressive. I mean you cannot jump on 1.8 from 0.5, but you will change it first on 0.8, 1.0, 1.2 and always map few notes so it won't look so sudden. Adding this to rule too btw. I mean this.
I agree that a stream with constant 1/4s should not have different spacing between them without reason. A random distance jump in a stream would be confusing to the player imo.
[Luanny]
I'm neutral with this but would be nice to have this as a guideline. Again, guidelines are rules that can be broken when you have a reason for doing so, so if the song asks for it, it is ok
Wouldn't hurt anyone
ryza

[Luanny] wrote:

I'm neutral with this but would be nice to have this as a guideline. Again, guidelines are rules that can be broken when you have a reason for doing so, so if the song asks for it, it is ok
Wouldn't hurt anyone
Guidelines are supposed to be only broken in very very few circumstances, and are inherently restrictive.

This is a legitimate mapping technique that has various applications and is used in a lot of currently ranked maps.
Aqo

Silynn wrote:

Aqo wrote:

no support
coming from someone that hates it when I map streams like that
I hate when you put 1/4 jumps. That's not variable stream spacing, that's dumb stream spacing.
The stuff you did in your a_hisa map is cool. Please more of that and less of nonsense.

Muya maps are so fun. This thread is terrible.
Loctav
I've seen tons of maps that made good use of 1/4 streams that increase their spacing over time (e.g. Ende).
Dunno why we should restrict that, if we have maps that make good use of it.
Nyquill
I think a guideline is something that the mapper shouldn't be surprised of when a BAT comes up to him and goes "this might just be a tad too much".

At any rate, as Loctav's famous line goes, that goes into the "modding process". These things are things which BATs decide for themselves whether or not they fall within reason to get ranked.

As such, I don't necessarily see a reason why this can't be a guideline. It simply tells mappers to be wary of shitting these kinds of patterns all over the place without context.
Topic Starter
Wafu
Oh... thanks Raging Bull of showing me this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/60136
I think that this is worst usage of this.. :D Well... I think that the progressive change in those streams whould be fine, it's exactly a reason why I've created this post. Really if you look on it that sensibility is terrible and there is no progressivity, only sudden change and it sucks. I don't know why it wasn't mentioned while modding. Let's be changing DS rankable, but I think that the progressivity should be always used because I see a lot of map where those changes are really sudden, it looks like a crap and there is not any gradient between that distance change. Why the hell not? Look on this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/216587 Maddy used this perfectly. The change had a reason (higher pitch in the music), but it's not what I'm pointing, it's important that it at least looks like it's progressive because there is not soooo big difference (as was in Muya's map) in distances. It's clearly recognizable that it changed while it doesn't feel like a shit like in Muya's map. So maybe, to stop you guys flame me, what about this.
Change of distances in the middle of stream must be progressive if it's a big difference.
popner
If it's bad every time it appears, make it a rule. If not, leave it to BATs.
winber1

Wafu wrote:

Oh... thanks Raging Bull of showing me this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/60136.
but muya maps sexy.

this mappu so awesomuuu

honestly, despite being somewhat random, there is a reason for it and it gives the map an interesting and fun flow (for some people). I also just love the song as well.

But as some people said, this guideline is pretty useless. In so many cases it works fine, and most of the time, it really does work fine. And worse comes to worst the modding process will get rid of it.

reiterating what people said is op
Scorpiour
i would like to write an "auto mapping" program if there are enough rules said "you can only do blablabla"
Zare

Wafu wrote:

Oh... thanks Raging Bull of showing me this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/60136
I think that this is worst usage of this.. :D Well... I think that the progressive change in those streams whould be fine, it's exactly a reason why I've created this post. Really if you look on it that sensibility is terrible and there is no progressivity, only sudden change and it sucks. I don't know why it wasn't mentioned while modding. Let's be changing DS rankable, but I think that the progressivity should be always used because I see a lot of map where those changes are really sudden, it looks like a crap and there is not any gradient between that distance change. Why the hell not? Look on this map: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/216587 Maddy used this perfectly. The change had a reason (higher pitch in the music), but it's not what I'm pointing, it's important that it at least looks like it's progressive because there is not soooo big difference (as was in Muya's map) in distances. It's clearly recognizable that it changed while it doesn't feel like a shit like in Muya's map. So maybe, to stop you guys flame me, what about this.
How about YOU calm down. No one's flaming you. Many, including myself, love the way anhedonia is mapped. There is simply no reason to restrict mapping like this. Leave this to the Modding process. Just because a single person, i.e. you, dislikes a certain Mapping Technique does not make it unrankable.
Honestly, you sound like some kid who's angry because it can't read the streams properly. Consider this flaming you.
Topic Starter
Wafu
Lock please. This community ruined all my illusions :)
Shiro
No change then.
Topic Starter
Wafu

Shiro wrote:

No change then.
Thanks. It's no sense to keep discussing about this rule when they just flame you with things like: "OMG MUYA PRO MAPPER, YOU SO BAD, LEAVE OSU! OMG WORST RULE EVER!" :3
Zare
Would you please give some actual reasons for this rule/guideline?