forum

AR11 help

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Almost
Could anyone give me some tips and some good practice maps for this thanks.
Lach
Very few people can play it, there's no secret to being good at it other than practice. I could probably count the people capable of playing it on both hands.
Thatgooey
Any map that is playable for you on DT, edit the map to set the approach rate to ar10 and DT will make it AR11. Play with this for days and days and weeks until you are reading them well enough to get comfortable wit the AR. There are no AR11 maps really in osu! that aren't dt/hr, and the OD is usually so high that it is frustrating to play. My advice is that if you want to just sit down and enjoy playing AR11, you mod DT maps to AR10 and play away. Who knows, maybe if you play it for long enough and practice it, you can gain the accuracy to do dt+hr on normal maps. Good luck!
Gnuu
Gamma and fullscreen makes it easier to read. Other than that, it's all about practice.
Topic Starter
Almost

Gnuu wrote:

Gamma and fullscreen makes it easier to read. Other than that, it's all about practice.
How does gamma help?
Koko Ban
increasing gamma/making monitor settings bright helps make circles appear a bit faster (disappear later when using HD) than playing with a normal screen, giving you a bit more time to react with the objects.

it also helps greatly on FL plays ;)
Topic Starter
Almost
Ah ok thanks.
Aqo
gamma doesn't help with shit lmao

as somebody who actually practiced AR11 and FC'd a map with DTHR (although only AR10.86) here is what I have to suggest for you:

1. Play stupidly high bpms. To learn AR11 you'll need to make huge leaps in your reaction ability. Find insanes, and I mean REAL insanes, val maps, zapy maps, etc, that are 180bpm or higher, and DTNF them. Notice -> not DTHR, only DT. Yes, I mean doubletime t+pazolite electric love, doubletime trillion years, et cetera.

2. Practice very small circles. Find maps you like and edit them to CS7 AR10 OD10 then play like that. Preferably maps with a tons of circles and jumps (if you don't like maps like this then what are you even doing wanting to train AR11).

3. Play DTHR+Relax on the same maps from group #1. Unlike when DTNFing them - where you'll basically be streaming nonstop during the entire play while aiming frantically and measuring your improvement by getting 23.5% instead of 23%, with relax you'll actually be able to see if you're reading right or wrong from the scoreboard in the end of the play. This will push your aim reading on this AR. (also notice, HR added here)

4. Between doing 1/2/3 above, every once in a while, do a [Hard] map that has AR7 with DTHRNF. Rules: You're not allowed to retry a map like this more than twice. So basically, play each [Hard] you choose for this two full runs, and then move on and don't touch it again for at least a week. This will work on your concentration instead of on your speed. Only start doing this after you spend at least 20 hours doing the above.

5. Watch AR10 maps (either AR10 nomod or AR10 after HR) with Auto, and set the replay speed to 2x on the right side button. While auto plays at 2x AR10 (which is AR11.5) follow what's happening on the screen with your cursor while clicking.

You should spend about one month doing all of the above, spending a total of about 100 hours doing all of this. Once you did all of this, you've made the first step towards reading AR11. Now you start the 2nd step:

Find AR7+ maps that you can FC with DT alone. Confirm that you can FC them by doing it. Then pick one of them and retry it with DTHR until you either FC or get bored. Once you're done with one map, move to another, and repeat this. Over time, you'll need less and less tries, and at this point you'll already be reading AR11 to an extent.

Well that's the gist of it.

Oh and one last tip:
Don't even consider starting to train AR11 if you can't at least pass the following two maps nomod:

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/52499 [Speed]
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/37065 [Poltergeist]

Or you'll just be wasting your time. (the speed needed for passing those is trivial compared to what you need to read AR11)
Purple

Almost wrote:

Could anyone give me some tips and some good practice maps for this thanks.
Here are some maps I have recently been trying (and failing) to FC. They should be good practice. TBH anything with OD6 or lower should be a good candidate for DTHR. For me playing OD10+ DT is like shooting myself in the balls, so yeah.

http://osu.ppy.sh/s/43714
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/60159
http://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=155558&m=0
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/19577
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/153895&m=0 [Hard]
winber1
why is there any need to learn ar 11, i never cared or bothered
cr1mmy
But after you learn AR11 it will be hard to play all maps with AR <9.
If you want to FC some map with DT that gives AR11 - just spend 1-2 hours and play to FC, most of "Very few people can play it" - spend much time playing one map.
Aqo
It's not hard to transition from ARDTHR to AREZ once you have good foundations for both.
RaneFire

Koko Ban wrote:

increasing gamma/making monitor settings bright helps make circles appear a bit faster (disappear later when using HD) than playing with a normal screen, giving you a bit more time to react with the objects.

Does your screen burn easily or is this just a play on your retina?
Thatgooey

Aqo wrote:

as somebody who actually practiced AR11 and FC'd a map with DTHR (although only AR10.86) here is what I have to suggest for you:

1. Play stupidly high bpms. To learn AR11 you'll need to make huge leaps in your reaction ability. Find insanes, and I mean REAL insanes, val maps, zapy maps, etc, that are 180bpm or higher, and DTNF them. Notice -> not DTHR, only DT. Yes, I mean doubletime t+pazolite electric love, doubletime trillion years, et cetera.

2. Practice very small circles. Find maps you like and edit them to CS7 AR10 OD10 then play like that. Preferably maps with a tons of circles and jumps (if you don't like maps like this then what are you even doing wanting to train AR11).

3. Play DTHR+Relax on the same maps from group #1. Unlike when DTNFing them - where you'll basically be streaming nonstop during the entire play while aiming frantically and measuring your improvement by getting 23.5% instead of 23%, with relax you'll actually be able to see if you're reading right or wrong from the scoreboard in the end of the play. This will push your aim reading on this AR. (also notice, HR added here)

4. Between doing 1/2/3 above, every once in a while, do a [Hard] map that has AR7 with DTHRNF. Rules: You're not allowed to retry a map like this more than twice. So basically, play each [Hard] you choose for this two full runs, and then move on and don't touch it again for at least a week. This will work on your concentration instead of on your speed. Only start doing this after you spend at least 20 hours doing the above.

5. Watch AR10 maps (either AR10 nomod or AR10 after HR) with Auto, and set the replay speed to 2x on the right side button. While auto plays at 2x AR10 (which is AR11.5) follow what's happening on the screen with your cursor while clicking.

You should spend about one month doing all of the above, spending a total of about 100 hours doing all of this. Once you did all of this, you've made the first step towards reading AR11. Now you start the 2nd step:

Find AR7+ maps that you can FC with DT alone. Confirm that you can FC them by doing it. Then pick one of them and retry it with DTHR until you either FC or get bored. Once you're done with one map, move to another, and repeat this. Over time, you'll need less and less tries, and at this point you'll already be reading AR11 to an extent.

Oh and one last tip:
Don't even consider starting to train AR11 if you can't at least pass the following two maps nomod:

Or you'll just be wasting your time. (the speed needed for passing those is trivial compared to what you need to read AR11)
Playing with relax mod isn't going to help you read ar11 lol, moving the cursor to the circle isn't the hard part. Playing unranked ar10 maps (crn/zapy for example) with relax isn't going to help you play ar11. Playing AR11 will help you play AR11. Your keyboard hand can't even keep up with that, much less both at the same time. Those maps are far too difficult for any player of any skill level with DT-forced AR10. Like I said before, take some TV size maps that are heavily SS'd with Double Time and set the AR to 10 in your editor and practice that way first. No use playing relax mod ever to try and get better at something. I wouldn't start with dt+hr first, either. The OD will be too high and the circles could possibly be too small for your comfort level to jump into right away. Learn one thing at a time. Start with getting used to the approach rate. You shouldn't be "frantically aiming around the screen". You want to get control of it, not struggle to keep up with it. That's not learning, that's just doing random shit without purpose.

There isn't a trick to learn ar10, there aren't special settings that make you able to play it, you just have to hold your focus and use all resources available. Trust your ears more than your eyes. If your ears are telling you to play notes, but your eyes can't see them yet, go with what your ears tell you. Some patterns are really hard to read with your eyes, so you can either try to read with your ears or use trial and error and spam retries. AR11 will make you tire out mentally a lot faster than other things on osu, so don't expect to be playing long sessions. Play it for chunks of 15-20 minutes at a time. 20 minutes of AR11, go read stuff online or grab a snack or something and take a 5 minute break, and then play for another 15 minutes or so. Once you get used to it, you wont tire so quickly, but you will at first. It is taxing.
[Kanzaki Ranko]

RaneFire wrote:

Koko Ban wrote:

Does your screen burn easily or is this just a play on your retina?
This is a play on one's retina, lol.

I don't find it noticeable unless playing FL, though. High contrast FL (preferrably with a white BG) is waaaaaaaaaay easier than normal FL.
Koko Ban
idk. but i see a noticeable improvement on my HD+HR plays on moderate AR maps (like most hards) when i use gamma tweaks instead of playing with normal screen brightness.

the high contrast helps keep the fading less obvious that's why it looks like the objects stay a bit longer than usual.
-Ryosuke
Just get used to play AR11 maps. aka DT+HR

personally I just stop try to read the map, I mean, in my mind it's like "oh a circle, gotta click it" without thinking like "oh my god how should I read that pattern" or what, hope it'll help you. \o/
Topic Starter
Almost

Aqo wrote:

Oh and one last tip:

If I try to play AR11 at the moment, I don't have any problems hitting the circle, I only have problems reacting to it since I get a lot of 100s and 50s so I don't think practicing small circle sizes and playing relax will help me out much.
enik
I never really practiced ar11, sometimes I can't even play ar10, but there are times when I randomly can pass (or at least pass) ar11 map (no I don't). Think it's all about playing ar11 + feeling korean inside.

cr1m wrote:

If you want to FC some map with DT that gives AR11 - just spend 1-2 hours and play to FC, most of "Very few people can play it" - spend much time playing one map.
qft, one very underrated guy who actually did bamboo dance DT x1 miss (without 100s) says ar11 involves a lot of map memorization (not like FL, but muscle memory I guess).
Lach
10.3 is very different to ar11
winber1
with my very few attempts at even caring to try AR11, like some people said or implied, I do feel that there is more of a feeling of memorization rather than actually reading it. Reading 1/2 tick notes and sliders are often fine, but when triplets or streams come up I just get all adhfawjefklzsw and miss or get low accuracy.

though with enough practice you will be able to get better at reading it, but I still feel there is an aspect of memorization. It's not completely reaction time, even if you think it is, unless you are playing a pretty damn easy map.
Aqo
It's not exactly memorization it's more like already knowing what you're supposed to do with the pattern once it appears. Which is why playing high BPMs and small circles helps.
show more