forum

How do mouse users handle spins?

posted
Total Posts
show more
tuurts
Hello chewy, I understand your problem as I play with the same style (wrist resting on the mousepad and moving only my hand) And I never had problems spinning. I just spin big circles and it seems to work the best for me. :) If I start thinking about the spin i end up tensing my hand and slowing down alot 8-)
darkmiz
Apply a little lift on your mouse when you spin, it reduces friction and allows you to spin faster.
Tshemmp
I am using the same style. Although I am not the best spinner (~380-410) I'd say tensing up your arm and keeping your wrist loose helps.
silmarilen
dont move the mouse with your fingers, switch to moving it with your whole arm, everything will become easier then
Coro
I actually draw tiny circles right on top of the center of the spinner, that way I don't have to lift my hand or move very much. =)
Topic Starter
chewy_old
Thank you guys for the advice, I worked on my technique a bit! Lifting my wrist was a bit too foreign for me so I tried to wiggle my hand where I'm moving the wrist callous in tiny circles (gross!). I kept my hand relaxed and lightly pushed/tensed down onto the desk with the arm. I got faster spins from the vibrations coming from my arm and I could still keep up with the beat after the spin since my fingers and hand were not locked up. Needs more practice though.
Aquamarine
Out of subject but I was spinning a constant long 380 spins/min on my mouse; no glitch. I was spinning semi-large if I remember correctly.
strikeR

silmarilen wrote:

dont move the mouse with your fingers, switch to moving it with your whole arm, everything will become easier then
Anhedonia
and disable mouse acceleration/precision in windows or spinning in small movements is pretty much impossible
Jordan
I rotate my mouse in circles
ziin
I hold my mouse using palm grip. I put my wrist on the mousepad and use that to anchor my mouse in place then rotate quickly in a counter clockwise motion (like I'm drawing an "o").

I can spin ~370 RPM this way (drops down to 250 for long spinners), but if I use 6400 cpi rather than 800 cpi, I can spin up to 450 rpm for longer. You can see this in my replay on http://osu.ppy.sh/b/34546?m=0. Turning off mouse acceleration made me spin MUCH slower because I have to pay attention to where my mouse is on the screen.

Jordan wrote:

puu.sh/Fao
Eni
I use a small mouse (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/w ... mouse-m325) and my sensitivity is really high.

Because it's so small, only my fingers can fit on it. xD The lower part of my palm usually rests on the table. (I don't use a mouse pad)

I spin mid-center and get ~370-400 as my average max per game.
Jordan

ziin wrote:

I hold my mouse using palm grip. I put my wrist on the mousepad and use that to anchor my mouse in place then rotate quickly in a counter clockwise motion (like I'm drawing an "o").

I can spin ~370 RPM this way (drops down to 250 for long spinners), but if I use 6400 cpi rather than 800 cpi, I can spin up to 450 rpm for longer. You can see this in my replay on http://osu.ppy.sh/b/34546?m=0. Turning off mouse acceleration made me spin MUCH slower because I have to pay attention to where my mouse is on the screen.

Jordan wrote:

puu.sh/Fao
that puush could not be found
ct_warrior
I would suggest contemplating hard on whether you should switch to using arm movements or not. I used my mouse the same way you did until last year and decided to switch. I had to completely relearn mousing with my non-dominant arm and readjust a ton of habits, but it's definitely worth the trouble imo.
ziin

Jordan wrote:

that puush could not be found
you're supposed to remember it
Rokk
Make sure you have completely eliminated mouse acceleration, first of all.

Second, spin with your whole arm, not just your hand.
Rio-
Just Spin as close to the center of the circle as possible

silmarilen wrote:

But I'm A Fingertip-Grip Type? I can't do that easily...
Ephemeral
i honestly migrated the tablet pen spinning technique (very close, small twitchy spins) to my mouse play and found it was ideal for the way i held my mouse, since I grasp it in a claw grip and keep my wrist largely stationary like you do
Yuzeyun
my pinky "locks" the mouse when i reach the center of the spinner and I move my arm. not the best way to do honestly since it happens in normal play. i can reach around 450 when i end up on the right position. once hit 460
lolcubes
For me it's all about your elbow position. I actually spin with my whole arm using my elbow as the anchor point, since it's naturally round (kinda). You don't need to apply any extra pressure on your mouse or anything, you just need to consistently draw circles and have a strong shoulder which would provide the power for the spin.
This works even better on very long spinners too. On average I spin about 440, but it does go up to 470 if I have a good day.
Obviously you need a chair which has those rest things where you can place your elbows. :p
Topic Starter
chewy_old

lolcubes wrote:

On average I spin about 440, but it does go up to 470 if I have a good day.
You... you got a Dyson motor installed somewhere in your arm?!

But anyway, it looks like everyone uses their own style! I've tried all of your guys' suggestions, even the arm/elbow rotation. Found out that my mouse isn't fit to handle something like that basically sucks. I also have no armrests on my chair. I decided to take off my favorite no-spin mod and replay everything I could. Relaxed my arm a lot and now I can spin at 250 rpm with my fingers only when I know I have beats after the spin to jump to or higher at 420 rpm with my entire arm when I have nothing to worry about. The low spin keeps my hands from tiring at all while the fast spin lets me squeeze a few more points into my score. For my difficulty, its working perfectly.

Thank you guys/gals for all of the advice!