forum

[WIP] osu!mania maps, sorted by difficulty

posted
Total Posts
show more
Bobbias

PyaKura wrote:

Since he's a beginner I think he should aim for As and Ss for now to train accuracy. In higher level play accuracy is already kinda acquired so it's not much of a problem when playing hard stuff but it's not something a beginner wants.

edit : my, it's already my 999th post.
As far as I've been able to tell, accuracy will improve over time just by playing, whereas the ability to play harder patterns only comes from pushing your limits. If you focus on accuracy over difficulty at low skill levels, it will take much longer to build up your skill at harder patterns.

Ultimately, nobody can force anyone to play in a specific way, but I believe that new players should actually stop focusing on accuracy until they've at least made it to the hard/insane difficulty range.
Tristan97
Hey guys! Just crossed the 1k rank barrier and decided that if I wanted to keep progressing, I'd have to look deeper. I really like this thread and see myself around advanced level 4 or so.

Keep up the great work Entozer! and please continue to expand your list, each 'rank' only having one or two beatmaps at the advanced/expert level is kinda suffering.

Anyways, after thinking about the difficult songs out there and seeing the ever-relevant #rankhardermaps2014, I have to ask.

Why haven't harder maps been ranked?

I know +Danshi is on it's way towards being approved, but seriously, especially with the converts, I don't see why we can't have more of the challenging songs out there. I would love to the osu!mania community expand with more experts being drawn in by the ranked competition that they could use to improve themselves, etc.

But seriously, why? Is it the people ranking maps getting flooded with too many (easier) beatmaps to have time to deal with the harder ones?

Please enlighten me.
Drace
In order for a map to get ranked, it needs 3 things pretty much. To be "good" from a quality, playability and musicality perspective. To be "recognized" by the community, aka gain popularity. And constant activity from the mapper's part, integrating mods, showing it off and bothering the BATs (lol).

Most hard maps are either not good, or not popular. And the one that are both are often mapped my mappers who really don't care about ranking their map. Not really the the mappers' fault.

Not a problem per-say imo, it is the community's choice after all. Things might evolve in the future, seems things are already moving forward a little.
Tristan97
I see.

Seeing as how osu!mania is now two years old, along with all the dilligence that's been put into forming a difficulty scale (I love the new star system), I think that some people might be encouraged to increase there skill. I've seen so many people either play all the hardest 4k songs (Banging Burst Level 15/16, Imperishable Night 2006 4k insane, Kamui insane, Intersect Thunderbolt Remix, Don't Cut, Elemental Creation, etc.) and cap their performance points at about 3,300 or so PP. I've also seen people like 'Latitude Chaser' create an account, get a 99.71% on Imperishable Night 2006 Lunatic difficulty, and then delete his account an hour or two later. I know that the osu!mania community has absorbed a lot of the o2jam players, and after downloading a thousand or so BMS/stepmania/o2jam songs, I'm wondering why Sister's Noise, G59, and Zakura are the highest o2jam levels we have. How about Only My Railgun's full song with the level 44 difficulty? I'm not experienced at mapping, but I think the autoconvert is close to the quality it needs to be for ranking. Why haven't we ranked any BMS songs? I also think we could promote the community to competitive players looking to play the game if some of these converts are approved. Is there something in the project section I haven't seen about this? I respect the community and it's choices, but I do believe there are people looking to see harder maps approved.

At the very least, couldn't scores for submitted beatmaps be uploaded online to facilitate people to compete with each other instead of keeping a less meaningful local ranking.

Maybe I'm just stepping in and saying this without knowing what I'm talking about, but I'd like to encourage the game to evolve and for mappers to keep up the hard work.
Drace
Well I'll be blunt here and say BMS songs belong in BMS and o2jam songs belong in o2jam. People should look to create original content instead ;o

And you're not allowed to rank maps from other games anyways :p
Tornspirit

tbonedavis13 wrote:

I've also seen people like 'Latitude Chaser' create an account, get a 99.71% on Imperishable Night 2006 Lunatic difficulty, and then delete his account an hour or two later.
For the record, Latitude Chaser was hacking; IN2006 lunatic score had exactly 4 misses, with the rest being about 80-20 on rainbow 300s to regular 300s. The account was banned.
MostDakka
oath sign https://osu.ppy.sh/s/108565
Shinseitaiju https://osu.ppy.sh/s/104081
Game Brain https://osu.ppy.sh/s/121134

links arent working anymore
Tear
Game Brain https://osu.ppy.sh/s/188492
Oath Sign http://bloodcat.com/osu/m/76507
Anyone out there can upload the Shinseitaiju .osz? ;_;
PyaKura
Previous page... link still works, though it may very well die someday.

http://puu.sh/9GhbO.osz
Tear
puush links expire, this one won't disappear as easily
https://mega.co.nz/#!IpRxXApR!L4ap2t26s ... dpLMPYEB_M
PyaKura
Yeah I was too lazy to upload it somewhere safe, thanks
Inversion
Why are all of these are 7k......
If you are going to do this please mark this tutorial as 7K.
MostDakka

Inversion wrote:

You can try t/162296 for 4k.
Bobbias

Inversion wrote:

When this was created, there were almost no 4k maps, and far fewer 7k maps. The list here is pretty outdated now.
auxy
been playing 4k this whole time hopefully this helps with 7k :p
Scintillate
Catastrophe [Easy] is way to fast for a beginner imo. I can barley read the notes coming down. Getting used to the keys comes before speed.
Bobbias
If you're having trouble with speeds, change your scroll speed (default keys are F3/F4).
Scintillate

Bobbias wrote:

If you're having trouble with speeds, change your scroll speed (default keys are F3/F4).
Oh I'm dumb..
Bobbias
Well, it seems to be a common problem for newcomers. I'm not sure how, but it seems many newcomers completely miss that you can do that.
Scintillate
Ahh, ok. I just started to get into o!m like less than a week ago so.. I just never really looked at all of the keybindings.
Fullerene-

Bobbias wrote:

Well, it seems to be a common problem for newcomers. I'm not sure how, but it seems many newcomers completely miss that you can do that.
it took me about 2 weeks after i started playing mania from stepmania before i figured out you can actually change the speed lol
Bobbias
What's funny is that Entozer's info box for ChaiN De/structioN actually has the old keybindings listed (do these still work?)
spoonguy
They do lol
ikzune
it actually took me a few months be4 i realised i could change speed lol
dennischan
any hope in updating this guide?
some of the links are broken and cannot be used any more.
[ Krytiv ]
Thank you so much for this!
Wanted to start with osu mania but I had no idea which map to download, etc.
Great help!
PeteN00b
possible to put them all in 1 pack or?
Rugazza
I seem to be stuck at Novice 9 and 10 >.<
I mean I can play the song but like I can't recognise some of the patterns and end up getting B's and C's
lenpai
It it weird that I got a decent score (sightread) in G59 (Level 30 something) and not be able to pass Wintersun?
Tristan97
Nope, I can pass G59 pretty easily, but can't get more than halfway through Wintersun
PyaKura
HP drain didn't seem to be taken into consideration when the list was made.
Bobbias
Also, it's normal for LN patterns to be harder for anyone not used to them.
Aqo
I find wintersun a ton easier :V
Bobbias
Yeah, I'd agree that the patterns in wintersun are actually easier too.
PyaKura
I'm far more comfortable with simple notes patterns :(
Relicks
I played some ddr and stuff so im kind of 'novice' to the 4K and I dont really like playing other layouts but this maplist only have 7K maps, can anyone help me with some great maps for learning 4K?
lenpai
^ lel
Go find the 4SAM thread.
t/162296 This should help.
AGRX
Sorry for reviving Necro, but what about to make map pack containing all maps. and make collection.db that has 4 collections (Beginner, Novice, Advanced, Expert)
I will be much more comfortable.
Wiggull
Too many 7k songs, 7k is whey to hard for beginners to learn, I keep forgetting how to do it and some of the songs in the beginner category are really hard so this was very confusing so it didn't help me at all, 7k is too hard I will stick to 4 and 5k c:
CephiCC

Wiggull wrote:

Too many 7k songs, 7k is whey to hard for beginners to learn, I keep forgetting how to do it and some of the songs in the beginner category are really hard so this was very confusing so it didn't help me at all, 7k is too hard I will stick to 4 and 5k c:

actually I'd point each new player in the direction of 7k before any lower key amounts. It's easier to learn lower key modes after learning higher key modes. 7k is only marginally more challenging than learning 4k. You started playing only 20 days ago, I'd try learning about the game more before posting things like this.

sidenote, if you know 5k, then 7k should be really quite easy to learn

stop playing autoconverts for god's sake you aren't learning shit by playing autoconverts :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
show more