forum

[Rule] Uploader must make Hard/Insane diff

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shohei Ohtani
I don't agree with this at all. However I'm gonna move all of the discussion from this thread into here, so that rule can go ahead and be added and stuff

Rule Proposition:
Rule: Upon uploading a map, a mapper MUST make a "Hard" or "Insane" difficulty.(Or the equivalent for the mode they choose to map in) Guest difficulty mappers may map other difficulties.
Go go discuss

Main reasoning people believe this should exist is to promote mappers to not only make an easy and normal diff, getting harder diffs from other mappers, so they won't be lazy.

Since harder diffs are the difficulties that usually recognized by mappers, many feel it is wrong for a mapper to just make easier diffs and have other mappers make the most notable diffs for them while they get more ranked mapsets
Kodora
Just quoting my post from previous thread.

Kodora wrote:

As a little suggestion to current wording i think would be nice to add point here like "uploader cant own only easiest diffs in mapset". I think this is a little unfair when uploader map only easy/normal diff, take other diffs as guests and count this map as his own. It is not like forcing uploader to make hardest diff in mapset, but prevents from ranking mapsets like this or this
Marcin
My 5 cents are here
p/2477027
p/2477220
p/2477268

Also, I think loctav already said it's not going to happen
Kodora

Marcin wrote:

Also, I think loctav already said it's not going to happen
I dont see the problem with adding this point.

First, not like a lot of people against adding this point and E N-only mapsets already not welcomed so much (look at userrating of this maps, also try to rank mapset like this, a lot of BATs will suggest you map hard/insane diff),
Second, this is can be counted as terrible diff spread (i hate maps with low AR as example)
Third, this is about effort what mapper put on his map (like i said in previous thread)
Shadow
No.

You get songs where a Hard/Insane just wont fit. No matter how you cut it.

*Edit

Also you get mappers which struggle to map harder difficulties because they themselves aren't good enough at the game to test-play it themselves. But they can make decent Easy or Normal's. A rule like this will force these mappers to make horrible difficulties.

Its up to the uploader to decide which and what he wants to map. This is a game, lets not make stupid rules like this. If he wants to make a Easy / Normal and leave the rest to Guest Difficulties, then let him do it, whats the problem? As long as the whole beatmap set in a whole is of good quality, I don't see the problem?

Just because you think they are lazy, doesn't make it true.
Marcin
Oh, this rule is not about NEED of insane, it's about NEED of ATLEAST Insane / hard for a beatmap set, where uploader is having guest diffs.
(Or maybe, I've misunderstood, but I don't think so, because this rule came from discussion about guest diffs)
Shadow
The rule is unclear then

A suggestion then:

Rule: Upon uploading a map, a mapper MUST make a "Hard" or "Insane" difficulty before Guest difficulty mappers may map other difficulties .(Or the equivalent for the mode they choose to map in) .
*Edit

Still a stupid rule IMO.
Fumika
Just map what they want :V
Kodora

Shadow wrote:

Also you get mappers which struggle to map harder difficulties because they themselves aren't good enough at the game to test-play it themselves. But they can make decent Easy or Normal's. A rule like this will force these mappers to make horrible difficulties.

Its up to the uploader to decide which and what he wants to map. This is a game, lets not make stupid rules like this. If he wants to make a Easy / Normal and leave the rest to Guest Difficulties, then let him do it, whats the problem? As long as the whole beatmap set in a whole is of good quality, I don't see the problem?

Just because you think they are lazy, doesn't make it true.

Kodora wrote:

It isnt unfair, mapping at least Hard diff isnt impossible even for beginner mapper. If he worry about his diff quality he can always ask for mods/help with this diff and there are a lot of ways to do this. This is only about effort what mapper put into his map.

Fumika wrote:

Just map what they want :V
We not limit mapper's freedom by this rule, mappers always will be free to map all what they are want, but this is quality point to get their map ranked.
Shadow

Kodora wrote:

We not limit mapper's freedom by this rule, mappers always will be free to map all what they are want
When you are not allowed to do X because of Y then you are limiting the Freedom of the mapper.. Period.

Kodora wrote:

but this is quality point to get their map ranked.
This is just a matter of opinion. Hard/Insane might be the highlight of the mapset for you, but for another person, Easy/Normal would be.
Kodora

Shadow wrote:

When you are not allowed to do X because of Y then you are limiting the Freedom of the mapper.. Period.
BSS allowed to submit everything, even maps what extremely break any rules, but we have general standarts to get submitted map ranked; its a different thing.

Shadow wrote:

This is just a matter of opinion. Hard/Insane might be the highlight of the mapset for you, but for another person, Easy/Normal would be.
This is not matter of opinion, according to playcount of most popular maps (short example 1, short example 2) easy to get that hardest diffs receiving much more effort than easiest ones.
lolcubes
In an ideal world, people would map everything by themselves. Since a lot of people don't want to map other diffs because of any reason, there are just too many cases which you would have to exclude from this rule for it to work as intended.

For example, nobody even gave a thought about hybrid sets, where the submitter actually mapped another mode without standard. What then? This whole rule becomes pointless and redundant and it would have to be converted which is already a fail, because rules have to be absolute and clear, however still simple and easy to understand.

While I don't like people just half-assing one difficulty to get their mapset ranked, it's still the best choice we have if the mapset as a whole is actually good.
I am aware that guest difficulties bring certain things such as difficulty spread issues, inconsistency issues and sometimes even really bad difficulties (which get approved of regardless, because opinions), but if you take a look at the bigger picture, does it really matter?

If the mapset is good, chances are someone from the team is gonna take a look at it regardless of who the mapper is.

My take on this rule is a no, since we already have an accountability guideline which should be enough in my opinion.

Also, hi Shadow. :D
Marcin

Shadow wrote:

Kodora wrote:

We not limit mapper's freedom by this rule, mappers always will be free to map all what they are want
Hitcircles must never be hidden under slidertracks. Whether a hitcircle is partially or completely under a slidertrack, it is confusing for the player to read. Insane difficulties are the only exception to this rule.
This does limit mappurs fridom to!, pls pls remove
Shadow

Kodora wrote:

BSS allowed to submit everything, even maps what extremely break any rules, but we have general standarts to get submitted map ranked; its a different thing.
But getting your map ranked by the end of the day is the long term goal. This will rule will prohibit that, hence reducing some of the freedom a mapper has. I don't see what your trying to get at here.

Kodora wrote:

This is not matter of opinion, according to playcount of most popular maps (short example 1, short example 2) easy to get that hardest diffs receiving much more effort than easiest ones.
Yes, at large, the player base enjoy higher difficulties, but that doesn't change the fact that there are players who look forward to a Easy or Normal. Like I said, a matter of opinions.
Kodora
Just noticed that we touch one current rule and trying to add new rule at the same time

The mapset must have a well-designed spread of difficulties, containing at least an Easy or a Normal difficulty (based on how the map feels): this is so that players of all levels of experience are able to enjoy maps of the songs they love. It's really hard to define how a specific spread could work in a specific song beforehand, but here's a list of things to consider: the difficulties in the mapset must be in a consecutive order and/or with a reasonable gap between them; there should be at least one difficulty around ~2.5/3 star difficulty level; if your mapset has two difficulties, one of them cannot be insane (this basically means that it's highly recommended to have 3 difficulties unless the song itself doesn't allow much variety); if your mapset has three difficulties, one of them should be about ~2.5/3 star difficulty level, and the second should not be Insane; if your map has four or more difficulties, at least two should be something other than Insane. The difficulty level of Taiko-specific difficulties must also follow a well-designed spread with no jumps in between difficulties, hence if you may include Normal/Hard/Insane, or Normal/Hard or Hard/Insane (only if it also has standard difficulties)
And:

No guest mapper is allowed to have more difficulties in the mapset than the creator, all modes together. For collaborations, the uploader must participate in all at least half of the difficulties of the mapset. The person who should upload the map is the one who contributed most to it.

I propose change to:

The mapset must have a well-designed spread of difficulties, containing at least an Easy or a Normal difficulty (based on how the map feels) and a Hard difficulty: this is so that players of all levels of experience are able to enjoy maps of the songs they love. It's really hard to define how a specific spread could work in a specific song beforehand, but here's a list of things to consider: the difficulties in the mapset must be in a consecutive order and/or with a reasonable gap between them; there should be at least one difficulty around ~2.5/3 star difficulty level; if your mapset has two difficulties, one of them cannot be insane (this basically means that it's highly recommended to have 3 difficulties unless the song itself doesn't allow much variety); if your mapset has three difficulties, one of them should be about ~2.5/3 star difficulty level, and the second should not be Insane; if your map has four or more difficulties, at least two should be something other than Insane. The difficulty level of Taiko-specific difficulties must also follow a well-designed spread with no jumps in between difficulties, hence if you may include Normal/Hard/Insane, or Normal/Hard or Hard/Insane (only if it also has standard difficulties)

No guest mapper is allowed to have more difficulties in the mapset than the creator, all modes together. For collaborations, the uploader must participate in all at least half of the difficulties of the mapset. The person who should upload the map is the one who contributed most to it. Finally, uploader cant own only easiest diffs in mapset: for E N H / E H / N H mapsets uploader must own or collab Hard diff; for E N H I / N H I / E H I mapsets uploader must own or collab Hard or Insane difficulty.
Any suggestions/ feedback are welcome. CDFA, if you agree with my wording please change it in OP-post please.
Kodora

Shadow wrote:

But getting your map ranked by the end of the day is the long term goal. This will rule will prohibit that, hence reducing some of the freedom a mapper has. I don't see what your trying to get at here.
Getting map ranked always requires a hard work, it wont prohibit anything but will polish our quality standarts.
Shadow

Marcin wrote:

Hitcircles must never be hidden under slidertracks. Whether a hitcircle is partially or completely under a slidertrack, it is confusing for the player to read. Insane difficulties are the only exception to this rule.
This does limit mappurs fridom to!, pls pls remove
There is a clear reason this rule as been implemented. The current suggested rule makes no sense whatsoever.

My question is, why fix something with isn't broken?

As long as the mapset as a whole is of good quality there shouldnt be a problem, and if the mapper only makes a "sloppy" easy and get guest difficulties, at the end of the day its still the BAT team members who ranked those maps. They can refuse to rank such bad apple maps with good reason then. Don't force down stupid rules towards the whole player-base because of a handful of idiots.

also, Hi lolcubes =p
Kodora

Shadow wrote:

As long as the mapset as a whole is of good quality there shouldnt be a problem, and if the mapper only makes a "sloppy" easy and get guest difficulties, at the end of the day its still the BAT team members who ranked those maps. They can refuse to rank such bad apple maps with good reason then. Don't force down stupid rules towards the whole player-base because of a handful of idiots.
As i said, this is just polishing of current quality standarts, there is nothing what can be extremely new or extremely break current rules. For a long time we have tradition that mapset must have at least Hard diff and tradition that uploader must not own only easiest diffs in mapset. E N only mapset already can be counted as terrible diff spread maps, and if uploader map only easiest stuff on his map it can be counted as a bad effort what uploader put on map, what can be concidered as a bad quality mapset.
Shadow

Kodora wrote:

As i said, this is just polishing of current quality standarts, there is nothing what can be extremely new or extremely break current rules. For a long time we have tradition that mapset must have at least Hard diff and tradition that uploader must not own only easiest diffs in mapset. E N only mapset already can be counted as terrible diff spread maps, and if uploader map only easiest stuff on his map it can be counted as a bad effort what uploader put on map, what can be concidered as a bad quality mapset.
Once again a matter of opinion. Remember there is a lot of circumstances which can be taken into consideration. Lets say the mapper enjoys making only Easy/Normal's, but not to fond of Hard/Insane's (and the Easy/Normals are of high quality) this rule will still force this mapper to make something which is not in his comfort zone. (if he wants to accept guest diffs) Which will make him stop mapping. I know I'm taking about extremes, but they might still exist.

And what about a person who has a low bpm/relaxing song where a insane or hard wont fit? and someone wants to make him a guest difficult. They wont be able to, because of this rule, its a rule. So if something like this has to be implemented, it should rather be a guideline, rather then rule.

And last but not least, its BAT's who rank maps, they can decide if the mapset is of a quality which is good enough to be ranked. If maps with can be considered bad makes it to rank stage, then there is a deeper problem here. Rather try and solve that problem then bringing stupid rules like this.
Loctav
Wow, you guys must be really butthurt that people get stuff ranked without mapping a harder difficulty.

Stop trying to put your weird idealism on others. Who are you to say that mapping a Normal is less valued than mapping a Hard, just because you are too good to play them?

Get off your horse. Mapping shall be a happy thing, an enjoyable thing, not some e-peen competition where it is important that you made a Hard diff just because you guys all think Normals and Easys are not worth to be counted, only because you may all half-ass-map them.

There is no space for your arrogance here to tell anyone who has to map what to put their name on a map.
Every contributor to the mapset was okay when providing guest difficulties to a certain mapset, so even if the hoster just made the Easy and Normal, he gathered and compiled the mapset, manages it, handles it and has the responsibility for it. And all mappers of harder difficulties were okay that someone else's name is filled into the "Creator" line.

I can't believe you guys make such a big deal out of something so minor, out of a name written on a package.
Just pull your thumb out of your butt and go care about more important things - the quality of maps for example.

This rule improves the quality of mapsets by no means. Neither does it have any real valueable improvement to make anything work better.
It only saturates your arrogance of some principles you have on mapping - but others don't.
I personally like to map harder maps on my own, too - but who am I to judge? And who aren't the you to try to put that as a rule?

Stop this thread. Seriously.
Saturnalize

Shadow wrote:

And last but not least, its BAT's who rank maps, they can decide if the mapset is of a quality which is good enough to be ranked.
Actually the one who rate the quality is not just BAT, so even if you got your map rank, doesn't mean it's good for others.
Also I kinda agree with this, but perhaps move it to guidelines?
It's not like every people can map a quality hard stuffs
Kodora

Shadow wrote:

Once again a matter of opinion. Remember there is a lot of circumstances which can be taken into consideration. Lets say the mapper enjoys making only Easy/Normal's, but not to fond of Hard/Insane's (and the Easy/Normals are of high quality) this rule will still force this mapper to make something which is not in his comfort zone. (if he wants to accept guest diffs) Which will make him stop mapping. I know I'm taking about extremes, but they might still exist.
1)I already proved why it should be counted as objective thing but not as a my personal opinion.
2)There are a lot of mappers what cant map specific kind of diffs. But they are learned it with time, asked for help, improved their quality of mapping. So, this rule will just help mappers to improve quality of their maps. If mapper do not want to learn something new it means that he is just lazy. Why should we support lazyness?

Shadow wrote:

And what about a person who has a low bpm/relaxing song where a insane or hard wont fit? and someone wants to make him a guest difficult. They wont be able to, because of this rule, its a rule. So if something like this has to be implemented, it should rather be a guideline, rather then rule.
We was have similiar discussion when we change Approval category (tl; dr "what if extreme song not allow to make easy diff"). We already have diff spread rule to let players with any skill level enjoy the song. Also, i dont know any kind of song what not allows to make at least hard diff and i am not sure that here will be providen any good examples.

Shadow wrote:

And last but not least, its BAT's who rank maps, they can decide if the mapset is of a quality which is good enough to be ranked. If maps with can be considered bad makes it to rank stage, then there is a deeper problem here. Rather try and solve that problem then bringing stupid rules like this.
Adding this rule will just polish current quality standarts by making it more detailed, fixing current wordings and traditions. I cant get why you count it as "stupid".
Shadow

Loctav wrote:

Wow, you guys must be really butthurt that people get stuff ranked without mapping a harder difficulty.

Stop trying to put your weird idealism on others. Who are you to say that mapping a Normal is less valued than mapping a Hard, just because you are too good to play them?

Get off your horse. Mapping shall be a happy thing, an enjoyable thing, not some e-peen competition where it is important that you made a Hard diff just because you guys all think Normals and Easys are not worth to be counted, only because you may all half-ass-map them.

There is no space for your arrogance here to tell anyone who has to map what to put their name on a map.
Every contributor to the mapset was okay when providing guest difficulties to a certain mapset, so even if the hoster just made the Easy and Normal, he gathered and compiled the mapset, manages it, handles it and has the responsibility for it. And all mappers of harder difficulties were okay that someone else's name is filled into the "Creator" line.

I can't believe you guys make such a big deal out of something so minor, out of a name written on a package.
Just pull your thumb out of your butt and go care about more important things - the quality of maps for example.

This rule improves the quality of mapsets by no means. Neither does it have any real valueable improvement to make anything work better.
It only saturates your arrogance of some principles you have on mapping - but others don't.
I personally like to map harder maps on my own, too - but who am I to judge? And who aren't the you to try to put that as a rule?

Stop this thread. Seriously.
This this and this.

/thread

Someone lock this already.
Loctav
After a short briefing internally, this rule has no future.
Don't even try it again and read what I wrote.

No change.
Kurai
^thanks.
Kodora
Huge part of the community judge mapsets by hardest diff on it. This is about effort and fame what give/reseived uploader and guest mapper. Thats why this thread exist.

The person who should upload the map is the one who contributed most to it.
Interesting

EDIT: ok.