forum

Adding a timer during breaks

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +304
show more
deadbeat

Just Miku wrote:

During breaks in a beatmap, would you add a timer to show how long a break is?
because its slightly frustrating when EG: you take a few seconds to stretch or type something in chat and it suddenly begins because the warning sign is way too late, and you end up messing your combo. (this has happened way too many times to myself)
pause, stretch, continue?
Topic Starter
Just Miku

deadbeat wrote:

Just Miku wrote:

During breaks in a beatmap, would you add a timer to show how long a break is?
because its slightly frustrating when EG: you take a few seconds to stretch or type something in chat and it suddenly begins because the warning sign is way too late, and you end up messing your combo. (this has happened way too many times to myself)
pause, stretch, continue?
True, but i think it would be nice to know how long a break is.
Eg: if youre doing a marathon map and want to know how long a break is.
Also, if you're playing a map and quickly want to crack your knuckles i really dont think you would pause the game.
It just seems a nice thing to have to make you aware on how long the break will be
Topic Starter
Just Miku
Prove me if i'm wrong but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to implement.
Marcin

Just Miku wrote:

Prove me if i'm wrong but I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to implement.
This argument never works
Just saying
*hides*
Shohei Ohtani
Seems like a nice enough idea. A lot of similar requests have been made to this, but I don't specifically recall anything requesting a timer

It'd be nice. I've had a few times sightreading a map where I jump for the keys since I decided to take a hand break where there was less than a 1 second break

Although good maps should have breaks on full musical phrases so it should be pretty easy to gauge
Topic Starter
Just Miku

Marcin wrote:

Just Miku wrote:

This argument never works
Just saying
*hides*
I wasn't using it as a argument to get it implemented, I was just saying.
Topic Starter
Just Miku

CDFA wrote:

I've had a few times sightreading a map where I jump for the keys since I decided to take a hand break where there was less than a 1 second break
This happens so much.
Shohei Ohtani
Also, the edit button works nicely too :P. Making multiple posts in a row is bad owo.
Topic Starter
Just Miku

CDFA wrote:

Also, the edit button works nicely too :P. Making multiple posts in a row is bad owo.
Yeah, you can go and look in edit, but nobody wants to take the time for every new beatmap they play to see where breaks are in edit.
Honestly i'd rather jump straight into a map blind rather than taking the time to look at where every break is and how long that break lasts for
and sorry about the multiple posts thing, as you can see i dont use the forums very often ;)
deadbeat
he means the edit button on each of your posts :p
bottom right in the corner. you need to place your cursor over post for the options to appear though
Saoji
It's a good idea.
Ziggo
So, is this feature request dead? I really like the idea and I don't see any reason not to add it. It could maybe be done like this:

lolcubes
There is no reason to. If you even listen to the music you can actually expect when a break will end (unless the map makes no sense), and if you see the arrows sooner it means there is a "pre-intro" into the section that is expected to continue, usually a stream or a spinner or a pack of notes in a pattern, which still follows a somewhat expected rhythm pattern.
Also it's possible to storyboard it if the mapper wants it.
Macacito
good idea
XinCrin

lolcubes wrote:

There is no reason to. If you even listen to the music you can actually expect when a break will end (unless the map makes no sense), and if you see the arrows sooner it means there is a "pre-intro" into the section that is expected to continue, usually a stream or a spinner or a pack of notes in a pattern, which still follows a somewhat expected rhythm pattern.
Yes , about the arrows . I would like that arrows sounds like when one "pass" or "fail" or something like that
Macacito

lolcubes wrote:

There is no reason to.
in osu there are many "there's no reason to" things that are implemented why would this be an exeption
jesse1412
This could be really useful.
Flanster
This could be usefull for me for the simple fact that sometimes I come across short breaks while im playing mania. I look at the chat during the breaks and in those cases I find myself suprised as notes fall and I fail.

Supporting this!
Trianix
This would improve the enjoyment of the game. Support! :)
thelewa

lolcubes wrote:

"listening to the music" is never a sure-fire way of knowing when exactly a break ends. Actually, "listening to the music" is pretty much useless in this game since almost nothing in mapping follows the music in a such a way that you could intuitively know what happens next in a map. The only way for something like that to happen would be if every single note in the map were mapped, which would basically just be a long 1/4 stream. And even then, you have absolutely no way of knowing WHERE the objects will be from listening to the music.

ie. never use this argument again, it's extremely flawed and if you were to argue that YOU can tell exactly what happens in maps based on listening to the music you would only prove that you're being pretentious and trying to seem special somehow.

Also, saying that ONLY GOOD MAPS are easily readable from the music is useless. EVERY ranked map in the game is supposed to be GOOD, but they are not. The quality of ranked maps varies so much that peppy should simply implement this feature because maps that make no sense to the music are getting ranked almost every day.
Macacito
your avatar doesnt make sense either
raww_old
In every break i'm waiting to see when the halfway through break mark appears, to see if i can manage to change mouse position without losing grip completely.

Ziggo wrote:

So, is this feature request dead? I really like the idea and I don't see any reason not to add it. It could maybe be done like this:

This would be an amazing way to implement this, knowing if you can manage to take a sip of a drink etc, in breaks, is very useful.

+star
RLC
This would be a nice aid for your typical map, but I think there are some cases where this may detract from the mood of the map.
An example. https://osu.ppy.sh/s/45031
The suspense of the long silent break in the middle of the map would be ruined by a timer.

If this is implemented, give mappers an option to disable it in song setup.
Macacito
WTF WHY WAS THAT EVEN RANKED
Acruxia
i agree. some breaks are is less than 3 sec. i got trouble because i don't use z/x as tapping key, when i released my fingers and result in panic looking for the tapping keys meanwhile looking at the break arrows. also, the worst case is having a first try of a song on multiplayer.
l0li
hello, i'm here to revive this feature request that I think deserves some attention! =)
Satyrsaw
Good, i have hadso many issues with the breaks in so many maps, i cant even name a number. But This is one realy good Idea, Peppy has to says what he think about this. Cuz its great :D.
DJTACO
I like the idea of a timer, although the question is where would the timer be located, and could you edit it in a skin. Just a thought I had, and also would we keep the arrows?
gregest
plz,stop necroposting
Oinari-sama

CptBlackBird wrote:

plz,stop necroposting
"Necro" (called "Bumping" here) is preferred in the Feature Request forum rather than opening new, duplicating, topics.

I'll take this chance to ask everyone to read the Guidelines for bumping a request for future references.
Xheriux
I like the idea
Karuta-_old_1
Other than for marathons where you really need to reposition or stretch, I don't really think you would need this

I'd rather leave it to the beatmapper to decide whether they want to put a timer in or not, like this one
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/73958
Dephix
bumping
I Give Up
Timers are cool. Have a star.
xasuma
I like this a lot. If someone doesn't want it. It can always have a blank image I assume to not show it.
unboundlife
I like this idea too. It's quite useful if you want to fix your hand position or take a sip from your drink. I hope this gets implemented!
PieInOblivion
I think this could be useful, but as said before. Why not just hit pause?
But you might still want to listen to the music and stay 'In-The-Groove' and pausing kills the mood.
Cool idea, I Like It!
Bara-
I really like this
Especially for maps which have long breaks, especially unfinished collab/marathons, where you sometimes need to wait 1-2 minutes before the next part starts
PieInOblivion
This is just a quick throw together, but you mean, kind of like this?
http://puu.sh/j0Ihn.jpg
Horrible job I know.

Is this kind of what you had in-mind? (Except in-game)
Bara-

PieInOblivion wrote:

This is just a quick throw together, but you mean, kind of like this?
http://puu.sh/j0Ihn.jpg
Horrible job I know.

Is this kind of what you had in-mind? (Except in-game)
The image doesn't work ;-;
Oh, please add it between [img] tags, makes it easier to read
So it'll look like this
[img]http://puu.sh/j0Ihn.jpg[/img]
show more