forum

[GUIDE] How to improve in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
show more
Aqo
play slower scroll speed, seriously. you won't learn new patterns from high scroll speed and 21/17 is waaaay too fast for the level of charts you're playing.

try playing 7k with 10 scroll speed for a while. you'll see a lot of improvement after a week of playing.
Jinjin

Aqo wrote:

play slower scroll speed, seriously. you won't learn new patterns from high scroll speed and 21/17 is waaaay too fast for the level of charts you're playing.

try playing 7k with 10 scroll speed for a while. you'll see a lot of improvement after a week of playing.
I agree that slower scroll speeds help with getting used to the patterns at a low level, but scroll speed 10 sounds awfully slow to me. Maybe 15? (considering that this is a fixed scale of course)
CelegaS
i'm a noob and i read/play better at speed 25 than 20 :/
M0STW4NT3D
is this thread still active?? i want ask question :)
Bobbias
Yes, it's still active. The problem is that most people who want to ask questions that should be in this thread never read the thread and post new threads in the forum instead. It's much better if you ask here rather than make a new thread.
M0STW4NT3D
ok my question is:

is that normal if you play a map in one day you get S and the next day you get B (it happens to me most)?? ._.
Wh1teh

M0STW4NT3D wrote:

ok my question is:

is that normal if you play a map in one day you get S and the next day you get B (it happens to me most)?? ._.
Yes, you have to get warmed up properly and that's not possible every day if you for example don't sleep well the night before or have bad eating habits, or stress from work etc.
M0STW4NT3D
wow thx for the response :)

if i play hard map everyday(out of my safe zone) is that help me improve??
PyaKura
This is how most players proceed to improve, yes. By playing maps that are a bit too hard for you regularly will most likely help you improve.
M0STW4NT3D
do you guys have any tips faster improvement on reading notes i'm stuck at 5* diff and can't proceed more ._.??
Bobbias
Try to figure out EXACTLY what is causing the problem and find a solution. For example, sometimes all you need to do is increase your scroll rate and patterns that were hard to read become easier. But sometimes that's not the solution, because the problem was not that the notes were just too close together. This solution is much harder to do, and it's hard to find anyone who can help you figure it out, but it's BY FAR the most effective way to improve.

While you're trying to figure out the exact problem, you can also try things like:
Practice maps that are a little bit too hard for you.
Try using a slower scroll rate (on songs that are not too hard) to try to get better at reading more dense patterns.
etc.

There is no trick that can suddenly make you much better at rhythm games. The most effective way to improve is just to keep playing.
Etsu
omg it looks interesting

I have a lot to learn...
Samuel97
I really need help with Sliders. Started playing for 3 days now and I havent got a single 300 (max) or reg 300 slider. I thought maybe I gotta press a other button and the same time or something but nope. Im not sure if increasing the speed would do it (possibly).
Tips?
Wh1teh

Samuel97 wrote:

I really need help with Sliders. Started playing for 3 days now and I havent got a single 300 (max) or reg 300 slider. I thought maybe I gotta press a other button and the same time or something but nope. Im not sure if increasing the speed would do it (possibly).
Tips?
Play songs that have longnotes that end at the same time with another note and practice lifting your finger right as you tap down another on the same hand.
Garecy
I found that this post really helped me to improve in mania. I also made some friends along the way who are the same rank :3
minibethangel
This guide is so true i'm actually a 4K player I want to practice other keys but its getting hard... I so much improve in 4k but suck in other keys... I dont know if I follow this guide I will be good, bcoz I already started playing without reading this for almost a year now. But I think this guide will be good for people who starting mania but for someone who starts playing already it will be hard :))
DaNsoN soN
nice , :)
CXgaruda
What if i don't want to play other keymodes , what if i only want to play 4k ? :x
Wh1teh

CXgaruda wrote:

What if i don't want to play other keymodes , what if i only want to play 4k ? :x
Just enjoy game.
Yuudachi-kun
4k is the only good key amyways
gintoki147
4k scrubs
M0STW4NT3D
still bad at jumpstream & jumptrill :(
do you guys have any good map about that pattern??
(5.5*+)
mysweetpiano_old
Thanks. I my peak was 2.00 star maps when I first started, and I could only get a B on those max. Only been a few days and I'm at 3.00 stars B-ranks. Slowly but surely, I will get better. Gotta keep a positive mindset.
troke

mysweetpiano wrote:

Thanks. I my peak was 2.00 star maps when I first started, and I could only get a B on those max. Only been a few days and I'm at 3.00 stars B-ranks. Slowly but surely, I will get better. Gotta keep a positive mindset.
nice keep trying :)
gintoki147
How do you guys deal with changes to much slower scroll speeds?
I can't understand shit so I always end up smashing everything in hope of hitting the keys. :C
It's specially awful when the speed changes, but the density doesn't.

Also, if I play songs of my skill level with, say, 19 scrolling speed instead of 24, my accuracy drops from 95% to 80%. It's kinda frustrating. :|
Yuudachi-kun
I edit the map to have no SV changes.
gintoki147
my hero
Bobbias

gintoki147 wrote:

How do you guys deal with changes to much slower scroll speeds?
I can't understand shit so I always end up smashing everything in hope of hitting the keys. :C
It's specially awful when the speed changes, but the density doesn't.

Also, if I play songs of my skill level with, say, 19 scrolling speed instead of 24, my accuracy drops from 95% to 80%. It's kinda frustrating. :|
Handling slowdowns is a difficult skill to learn. I know in o2jam players would often practice at slow speeds until they were able to play well at both low and high speeds. Since I play with flashlight, slowdowns are one of the few things that can completely ruin a map for me (in terms of playability). For example, I can't pass ExPew's Wintersun or Entozer's Oni Kanojo because of the slowdowns. I try not to let it bother me much. I sometimes play maps with slowdowns on nofail just so I can enjoy the map though.
M0STW4NT3D
i guess the best training method for slowdown is to play with slow speed :)
mysweetpiano_old

mysweetpiano wrote:

Nearly two weeks ago I made this comment and wow, in just two weeks I improved a lot. I'm hitting patterns I never thought I could hit. It's so satisfying. There are days when you just can't seem to hit anything, and THATS OKAY! Don't force yourself because better days will come. The most improtant thing is to keep playing and get used to the notes, even if no immediate improvements show! Have fun!
M0STW4NT3D

mysweetpiano wrote:

mysweetpiano wrote:

Nearly two weeks ago I made this comment and wow, in just two weeks I improved a lot. I'm hitting patterns I never thought I could hit. It's so satisfying. There are days when you just can't seem to hit anything, and THATS OKAY! Don't force yourself because better days will come. The most improtant thing is to keep playing and get used to the notes, even if no immediate improvements show! Have fun!

Yeah you just need to play everyday :)
Bobbias

mysweetpiano wrote:

mysweetpiano wrote:

That's great! And that's a great way to look at things too. It's ok to recognize when you're having a bad day, but don't let it bother you. Even playing on bad days helps you improve.
DaJoeyElMacho
What if the only problem is I can't match my hands with the beatmap speed?
Bobbias
Your skills won't improve at the same speed, so it's common to run into problems where your speed is holding you back. When that happens, you should try to find maps that are just a little bit too fast to play properly and practice on those.
DaJoeyElMacho

Bobbias wrote:

Your skills won't improve at the same speed, so it's common to rub into problems where your speed is holding you back. When that happens, you should try to find maps that are just a little bit too fast to play properly and practice on those.
Ahh sometimes I just randomly find beatmap and I even don't know its speed xD
Bobbias
Well when you can identify what is holding you back, the next step is to find maps that you can use to practice the skill you have trouble with. It's fine to play random maps, but it won't help you improve as fast as practicing on maps specifically to improve that skill will.
M0STW4NT3D

Bobbias wrote:

Well when you can identify what is holding you back, the next step is to find maps that you can use to practice the skill you have trouble with. It's fine to play random maps, but it won't help you improve as fast as practicing on maps specifically to improve that skill will.
so you need to play the same map over and over again right??
DaJoeyElMacho

Bobbias wrote:

Okay. I already repeat some beatmap and at the same time it's inspire me to get better at osu!mania, like beatmap Imprinting 4k
Bobbias
No, you shouldn't replay the same map over and over. Playing it a few times is ok, but if you keep playing a map over and over, you will improve your scores on ONLY that map. Even though it looks like you're getting better, you won't see nearly as much improvement on other maps.

The idea is to find as many different maps that all have the kind of patterns you need to practice.
DaJoeyElMacho

Bobbias wrote:

No, you shouldn't replay the same map over and over. Playing it a few times is ok, but if you keep playing a map over and over, you will improve your scores on ONLY that map. Even though it looks like you're getting better, you won't see nearly as much improvement on other maps.

The idea is to find as many different maps that all have the kind of patterns you need to practice.
So you mean repeating same beatmap over and over isn't helping much?
show more