forum

[GUIDE] How to improve in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
show more
ShinFukuhara

Bobbias wrote:

ShinFukuhara wrote:

Hello second post here :) , I've read the guide and this thread helped me a lot, but i can't keep my skill stable because me being quite a mood swinger, is there a tip for me?
Everyone is different. Some people will always have big swings in skill. On a bad day my scores can be more than 100k worse than my usual skill level. On a good day I've had scores 100k better than my usual.

Playing regularly has a big impact on your skill too, because the longer you go between sessions, the longer it will take to get back to your peak skill when you do play.
Oh I see, something like that is quite normal
Shimomura
first i want to say sorry because my english is bad

i've been playing osu mania for maybe 5 months i can play 4 star map but then i stopped playing because my pc is broken for 2 months and i play really poor again,and that is why i'm searching for tips like this but up until now my training in osu!mania based from star rating like right now i can play 3 star beatmap now i'm aiming to be able play 4 star beatmap, after reading this i saw that there is something called horizontal reading and vertical reading i've never used this both or maybe i unconsciously used them i try to read it like that but it just doesn't work its like there is no time to make blocks for horizontal reading how i read the notes is simple just see the notes then press it is it because i'm playing at 25 speed?
Valedict

Shimomura wrote:

first i want to say sorry because my english is bad

i've been playing osu mania for maybe 5 months i can play 4 star map but then i stopped playing because my pc is broken for 2 months and i play really poor again,and that is why i'm searching for tips like this but up until now my training in osu!mania based from star rating like right now i can play 3 star beatmap now i'm aiming to be able play 4 star beatmap, after reading this i saw that there is something called horizontal reading and vertical reading i've never used this both or maybe i unconsciously used them i try to read it like that but it just doesn't work its like there is no time to make blocks for horizontal reading how i read the notes is simple just see the notes then press it is it because i'm playing at 25 speed?
Play more

You won't learn anything right off the bat, 7k takes a lot longer to improve on and you have to keep playing it until horizontal reading and vertical reading is something that comes to you naturally and without any pre-meditated thought.

Scroll speed is irrelevant in this case, that's just how fast you can read something comfortably. For what it's worth though, try playing at 1 lower speed like 24; that's what I use whenever I play 7k.
Shimomura
so i just need to keep practicing and keep trying to learn how the horizontal and the vertical reading comes naturally to me?
Bobbias
When you play, try to identify the patterns your playing. think about the way the mapper has mapped the song. If you can't do this while you're playing without getting bad scores, you're not at the skill level where this will matter anyway.

It's natural to lose skill after a long break, and it can take time to build back up to where you were. Lower reading speed might help this process, but even if it does, it probably won't be a big effect.

So, As you improve at the game, being able to hit notes should become basically automatic for you. If you can think about all sorts of other things and still play the song properly, you're at the stage where you can begin paying attention to patterns more closely to the actual patterns themselves.

What I do when I play maps is try to identify exactly what sounds each note follows. I also analyze it like I would if I was mapping it. I look for any inconsistencies in patterns. I look for how the mapper transitions between different patterns. That sort of thing.

Vertical and Horizontal reading are just 2 different ways to look at a pattern. I use both at the same time on maps I'm not familiar with.
Shimomura
thanks i will try your tips
Starry-
Stickied, even after 2 years this post is still helpful to newer players.
PyaKura
It happened folks, it happened.
YAY
Bobbias
Oh thank god, maybe we'll have at least a FEW less "how do i get better" posts... maybe.
timi96
some inverted notes beatmaps? (lift or LN walls) i didn't find any
Safaklc_old
Thanks bro this is awesome ;)
Jinjin

timi96 wrote:

They don't appear often in the lower difficulty maps, however inversions and LN walls are key components in higher difficulty o2jam style or ln style maps.

Here are some examples:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/132824 (Lv.34 7K)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/130543 (Lv.42)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/206756 (All diffs)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/252179 (Lv.71 & Lv.83)
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/653533
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/543414 (Lv.34)
ovnz

timi96 wrote:

You can invert any map using this script, and there's an inverted LN mod coming soon™.
Un0fficial
Im fairly new to Osu!mania, but i can play some patterns. I was wondering if anyone here could help me figure out the skill level i would be classed at? Sometimes I feel like a novice, and other times i feel like a beginner.
toastly
(I am by no means an expert so if I say something completely dumb or wrong please don't hold it against me. Also my star estimates are personal estimates from experience)

Un0fficial, the whole Beginner-Novice-Advanced-ET classification isn't 4 concrete stages, it's an entire spectrum. Beginners can play anywhere from 1 to low 3 stars, Novices can extend from 3 to high 4 or even 5 stars, Advanced is 4-6 stars and ET is anything else. I looked at your profile (sorry) and my guess is you're bridging Beginner/Novice. You're playing 1-2 star beatmaps, but highly excelling at them as far as accuracy goes.

You may feel that you're switching between them due to a bad performance, which happens to most of us. Also, keep in mind different maps can have completely different patterns, some you're well acquainted with and some you've never seen before. It's important to pracitce those you haven't seen before, it helps you become a much better player, much quicker.

If you're looking to cement your status as a Novice, begin to practice some harder maps, going from 2-2.5 stars. They'll be harder and you're likely to get B's and C's when you first play them, perhaps even fail, but continue playing them and you'll see improvement. Keep track of the star count you excell at, pass at, and fail at, as star counts are a very solid guideline to go off of.

Sorry for writing a lot, probably a bit more than you were looking for. Remember, keep a positive attitude, and PRACTICE. Good luck!
PyaKura
yeah basically don't stick to stuff you're comfy playing. Most of the stuff I play I get low to mid B's and that's an everyday thing you get accustomed too, until that day you get an A and eventually S and you go "wow no shit I can't believe I was down there a few weeks/months ago"
Lolapops
As a new player myself this guide is very helpful. Given that i havn't read 17 pages of comments i thought i'd share my experience today.

Today i was given the advice that if i wanted to improve my game faster. I should stop playing autoconverts.
When i stopped playing autoconverts and only played !Mania maps for the fews hours i played today i can truely say that the advice was worth pure gold.

Personally i find the !Mania maps way more fun aswell as the patterns aren't boring compared to a lot of the autoconverts.

I'm not saying we should completely lay off the autoconverts. Maybe just have a more casual approach to the autoconverts and a more serious approach to the !Mania maps.

Please do correct me if i'm wrong! (I'm new afterall)

Cheers!
Ukaei
This was hard to read. English not your first language or something?

Thanks for the guide!
Un0fficial
So, i have appeared to hit a wall. I can pass some very high two star maps, but when ever it has those fast patterns that have two notes at once, i lode it. Like when it goes like, middle left, two keys on the left, outside right, both outside keys. That completely throws me off. Is this completely normal, and is there a way to practice it effectively?
Un0fficial
So, i have appeared to hit a wall. I can pass some very high two star maps, but when ever it has those fast patterns that have two notes at once, i lode it. Like when it goes like, middle left, two keys on the left, outside right, both outside keys. That completely throws me off. Is this completely normal, and is there a way to practice it effectively? Also, how do i get the track in the middle of the screen? What file in the .ini do i change?
TrinitehFoarse
My problem is, HOW DO I GET THE DARN IIDX MAPS?!?!?! THEY'RE TOO HARD!
Tristan97

TrinitehFoarse wrote:

You'll have to play a lot more than 19 autoconverts to be be successful at IIDX maps.

Play mania specific beatmaps, play easier 7 key difficulties, play lots of them and work your way up.
Redon
TrinitehFoarse

Tristan97 wrote:

TrinitehFoarse wrote:

You'll have to play a lot more than 19 autoconverts to be be successful at IIDX maps.

Play mania specific beatmaps, play easier 7 key difficulties, play lots of them and work your way up.
My finger indepence doesn't allow me to. (sorry for saying it out of the blue)

Redon wrote:

Un0fficial wrote:

So, i have appeared to hit a wall. I can pass some very high two star maps, but when ever it has those fast patterns that have two notes at once, i lode it. Like when it goes like, middle left, two keys on the left, outside right, both outside keys. That completely throws me off. Is this completely normal, and is there a way to practice it effectively?

play more
play different maps that have slower/simpler versions of the patterns you're struggling with
also play 7K

Also, how do i get the track in the middle of the screen? What file in the .ini do i change?
In the skin.ini file, under [Mania], the value for ColumnStart tells the game how big the gap between the left edge of the window and the first column should be.
https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Skin.ini
Yooh - Legend has some okay patterns on the easiest diff.

Tristan97 wrote:

TrinitehFoarse wrote:

Can you give me a easy 7K map?
dennischan
How to pass streams?

I'm really bad at streams and my friend gave me the https://osu.ppy.sh/s/147745 Candy Galy map.
The 4k HD is really brutal with almost unreadable 1/4 notes, but it's only 3.00 stars and only HD.
My friend told me to play a lot of those, but I cant even pass the HD.

I can play those chord thingies at about star rating 3.5-3.7, but I get destroyed by the 1/4 short notes.

What should I do to improve streams~~

EDIT: I play both 4k and 7k
edisk

dennischan wrote:

How to pass streams?

I can play those chord thingies at about star rating 3.5-3.7, but I get destroyed by the 1/4 short notes.

What should I do to improve streams~~

EDIT: I play both 4k and 7k
Play more. If you get destroyed by streams from a certain star rating, play streams with slightly lower star ratings till you are able to hit most of them.
Fortunape
''Time to move on to the real rhythm games cause you're a big boy now ;)'' Which real rhythm games?
Selegiline

Fortunape wrote:

''Time to move on to the real rhythm games cause you're a big boy now ;)'' Which real rhythm games?
Learn to play real drums.

btw This guide is great.
Jinjin

Fortunape wrote:

It's a sarcastic remark by him because osu mania doesn't offer a lot of high difficulty charts. He's considering osu!mania to be a 'baby's rhythm game', so to say. The 'real rhythm games' that he's referring to would be vsrgs like o2jam and lr2.
gintoki147
Is there an active 7/8k platform besides LR2?
O2Jam is fun, but its client is way too outdated and crappy.
Todestrieb
LR2 is still active, the BOFU is happening right now, It's more than thousands new songs. But yeah, there isn't any other game except some in dev. http://manbow.nothing.sh/event/event.cgi?action=List_def&event=104
PyaKura
He didn't say it is inactive though.

o2jam might be old school and crappy client-wise but as long as it is fun, who cares?

Let's see, I know agka's developing raindrop but afaik it's still pretty unfinished. Works though. You might wanna check out Malody, but I wouldn't really recommend it...
gintoki147
Do you have any o2jam server to recommend?
I tried to play o2jamv3, but I didn't like it at all. D:

@Edit
Actually, forget it. I like it now. lol
Bobbias
http://vsrg.club has a server
EtienneXC
Stepmania
Shoegazer

EtienneXC wrote:

Stepmania
We should really make that 4K improvement guide soon.
Bobbias

Shoegazer wrote:

EtienneXC wrote:

Stepmania
Yes you should.
EtienneXC

Shoegazer wrote:

EtienneXC wrote:

Stepmania
Maybe on Ssturday, we can get something going with that.
Shimomura
i have a new problem now.I'm having a hard time improving from 4* beatmap to 5* beatmap.Any tips?
ARCskieZ
Not a 4k player, but I improved to the next difficulty via analyzing what is my most common problem in harder maps/maps in the difficulty I play atm. and try to get better at what gives me a hard time.
For example: layered LN's are a huge problem for me, so I played only maps with these patterns in them to get better at them.
Another tip would be: play harder maps on halftime and try to get high acc. and try to learn new or hard patterns.
If you play them map on normal speed later you'll have an easier time to play these patterns.
Last tip: play old maps and try to get higher acc. and combo.
I saw alot of your scores are A's. Try to get S ranks and maybe 97%acc plus.
It seems you're not ready to progress in harder difficulty when your baseskill on an easier difficulty is lacking.
Hope that helps somewhat.
Cheers
show more