forum

[GUIDE] How to improve in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
show more
Leica
I don't really know where I would score. I can do everything in the Beginner section, but then I can only do half of the Novice section. (trills you can kiss my butt >:c) But either way, what do you do if the tips of your fingers start to hurt? It's mainly my left middle finger (I specialize in 4k and 7k) and it's been like that for at least a week. Also, your eyes? I'd like to play at higher speeds, but my eyes start to hurt and I can't blink. Do you get used to this, or is it like.. something you learn? Please help >~< ALSO ALSO! Last thing: How do you get a better accuracy on a song with a ton of streams?
PyaKura
inb4 play more, which is really all there is to say with this kind of game. :c

Shintsuka wrote:

what do you do if the tips of your fingers start to hurt? It's mainly my left middle finger (I specialize in 4k and 7k) and it's been like that for at least a week.
I don't really know, I've never had the tip of my figers hurting before, if anything it was mostly my arms' muscles or my wrist. Do have sensitive fingers ? In any case I generally stop playing when it's starting to hurt.

Shintsuka wrote:

Also, your eyes? I'd like to play at higher speeds, but my eyes start to hurt and I can't blink. Do you get used to this, or is it like.. something you learn? Please help >~< ALSO ALSO! Last thing: How do you get a better accuracy on a song with a ton of streams?
It's just something that comes by itself. You should try to increase your speed by 1 every once in a while when you're facing more and more dense maps and that's about it. Getting used to the new speed doesn't take too long. It also depends on the map's style. i.e : I usually set 26 for stream-heavy maps, or mostly made of simple notes (BMS), and 25 or 24 for maps with more LNs. I've never had my eyes hurting specifically due to higher scrolling speed though.
ikzune
dont push to play at higher scroll speeds, scroll speed is made so that you can adjust it when you eventually are able to read faster, improving acc just comes with time you will get more consistent you can bore yourself by playing really easy maps to work on it a bit too
Leica
Thank you guys for the tips! I'll be sure to slowly work my way up instead of just rushing into it!

And apparently the finger thing is something I'll get used to over time. It's like playing a string instrument (orchestra/guitar) and you get like blisters on your fingers or something.
Bobbias
If you get blisters on your fingers from playing mania, you're doing something wrong.
Leica

Bobbias wrote:

If you get blisters on your fingers from playing mania, you're doing something wrong.

Oh, no I'm not getting blisters on my fingers, but the tips of them hurt really bad.
Yuki Toboe

Shintsuka wrote:

Bobbias wrote:

Oh, no I'm not getting blisters on my fingers, but the tips of them hurt really bad.
Relaxing your hands will help you play better too, you shouldn't be having to hit/press the keys so hard that your fingers are hurting.
PyaKura
I can understand if you're tensing your arms up while playing though, I do that 75% of the time.
Rinoa Angelo
Why is someone like PyaKura giving advice?
PyaKura
Right why would I not give advice ?
Topic Starter
Drace
Everyone's eligible to give advice, sometime what you need is from where you least expect it ^^
Marirose
umm...i think all player need is practice :3/
Dremeling
thanks
kidlat020
I'm back in this thread to say

I JUST DON'T GET IT!

Is this really it for me? currently 2k pp for me and I've been playing lately but I don't feel like I made something noteworthy.
Bobbias
I hope you're not using PP as your way of measuring progress. You can gain PP quickly when you start out, but once you've gotten enough good scores that you've filled out your top scores list, it becomes extremely difficult to get more PP without actually improving at the game.
lenpai
Guy above me is correct. I'm staring to improve in LNs significantly but it wouldn't make much of an effect in pp count. This showing that pp isn't the most effective way of scaling one's skill.
Improving in vsrgs is a person to person based thing (this is my opinion and I have observed this in many people). I've been playing 7k for like 2 years but I can say that I'm better than an online friend that i know who played for 4 years (actively). Talent does something but don't give up! practice is still very improtant.
I'm pretty sure you know this high diff + good accuracy = more pp
What made the difference between me and my online friend os that i jump between multiple vsrgs. O2jam and now o!m gave me basic LN practice and accuracy. FtB helped me with SVs, awkward patterns, and dexerity + strength. Jumping bewtween game could help if you can't find solutions to your weakness in this game.
kidlat020
no no no nothing like that.

pp aside, I personally don't feel I'm improving. At best I'd get something like 10k difference in score (which is little) and sometimes a -50k to -80k diff.
lenpai
Oh, THAT issue. I know someone who has the same problem as you do. I'm not really sure on how that gets resolved. But I suggest taking pattern specific maps (BMS, Multi-layer, LN, Jackhammers). That might do the trick.
That's what I usually do to further improve. Also know your top weakness and improve in that.
Bobbias
Yeah, I've been playing for over a decade, and I'm very slow at improving, so I'm very well aware of how frustrating the feeling of not improving is. I've had times where I make literally NO progress in 6+ months at a time.

Amefurashi is right, the best thing to do when you feel like you're not getting any better is to identify what your weaknesses are and try to find maps that have those patterns. Interestingly enough though, when doorknob and davteezy uploaded their BMS converts, I spent a month playing almost nothing but them, and my LN skills improved (as well as my BMS skills).
kikiotsuka
osu!mania noob here, I just started and when I play odd numbered key songs, hitting the spacebar/gold note feels awkward. Should the keys be rebinded to feel better, or do I just have to get used to hitting the space bar for the gold note? Thanks
Bobbias

kikiotsuka wrote:

osu!mania noob here, I just started and when I play odd numbered key songs, hitting the spacebar/gold note feels awkward. Should the keys be rebinded to feel better, or do I just have to get used to hitting the space bar for the gold note? Thanks
Most players stick with the space bar, but there are some players who use different key binds. Space bar is always the hardest key, even for really good players. Don't worry about it too much.
Starry-

Bobbias wrote:

kikiotsuka wrote:

Most players stick with the space bar, but there are some players who use different key binds. Space bar is always the hardest key, even for really good players. Don't worry about it too much.
Hmm...I have a slightly different opinion.

After a month or so the spacebar becomes a lot more natural and easier to play, as if it was one of your normal fingers. (For me at least, but I don't have much experience to judge off). I always find myself now having more troubles with my ring fingers than the spacebar.
It might be dependent on the person, who knows.

But yeah, definitely stick with the spacebar. You will get used to it and it will feel a lot less awkward to play with practice.
kidlat020
actually space bar is awkward at first. but time later you'll realize ring fingers are harder to train. thumb is more used than ring fingers in any day, everyday.
lenpai
6k to 7k transition took me roughly 2 months

It's hard at first but trust me, 7k using space w/ thumbs (left or right) will become fun.

Unless you plan to 8k soon i guess you have to learn using your pinkies but I don't 8k so this wouldn't be reliable advice.
Bobbias

Starry- wrote:

Hmm...I have a slightly different opinion.

After a month or so the spacebar becomes a lot more natural and easier to play, as if it was one of your normal fingers. (For me at least, but I don't have much experience to judge off). I always find myself now having more troubles with my ring fingers than the spacebar.
It might be dependent on the person, who knows.

But yeah, definitely stick with the spacebar. You will get used to it and it will feel a lot less awkward to play with practice.
It becomes far more natural, but I'd rather jackhammers on ANY other key, even ring fingers, than space bar.
Topic Starter
Drace
And my weakest fingers are my indexes haha, to each their own ^^
Bobbias

Drace wrote:

And my weakest fingers are my indexes haha, to each their own ^^
o.o how. I could easily understand ring fingers, or even middle fingers to some degree, but indexes?
Grassgrow
Hey, I just read through this whole thread to see if anybody asked the same thing I was gonna ask, but I didn't seem to find anything like that, just the opposite.

Basically, this happened to me four or five times during my osu career (I play mania for about nine months now). In this rare instance, I get into these...states of mind and ability that I can beat songs that are MUCH harder than my usual skill cap and I get crazily better scores on my high scores if I play all my favorite songs when I get into that state.
Like, an example when I first had that...at that time my skill cap was that HD difficulty of Megistune 4k, and I couldn't even play MX diff without failing, but that one time where I got into the state, i FCed high scores on so many songs and got an A score on the Megistune MX difficulty I couldn't usually even pass!!!

On one side, I feel bad when I get into these states, because I literally rape al much high scores and the next day when that "state" ends, I'm back to my old skillcap and I feel like I don't deserve those newly obtained high scores

I should also mention that I was NOT under the influence of any drugs while in the states, they come completely random (same sleeping pattern, lifestyle, everything's the same)
Can anybody relate to this? I feel frustrated because of this because I play so well when it happens..and when it ends I'm just back to being at my usual skillcap..
ovnz
It also happens to me sometimes, don't worry ^,^
Topic Starter
Drace

Bobbias wrote:

o.o how. I could easily understand ring fingers, or even middle fingers to some degree, but indexes?
Yeah I know it's weird really. But when I play my prominent "motions" are in my wrist and forearm. I barely move my fingers at all (floating wrists). So really they should all be equal but for some reason or an other most the notes i miss are at my indexes. Whether a mental or physical issue, their my weakest fingers and I don't really know why :/

Runestone wrote:

Hey, I just read through this whole thread to see if anybody asked the same thing I was gonna ask, but I didn't seem to find anything like that, just the opposite.

Basically, this happened to me four or five times during my osu career (I play mania for about nine months now). In this rare instance, I get into these...states of mind and ability that I can beat songs that are MUCH harder than my usual skill cap and I get crazily better scores on my high scores if I play all my favorite songs when I get into that state.
Like, an example when I first had that...at that time my skill cap was that HD difficulty of Megistune 4k, and I couldn't even play MX diff without failing, but that one time where I got into the state, i FCed high scores on so many songs and got an A score on the Megistune MX difficulty I couldn't usually even pass!!!

On one side, I feel bad when I get into these states, because I literally rape al much high scores and the next day when that "state" ends, I'm back to my old skillcap and I feel like I don't deserve those newly obtained high scores

I should also mention that I was NOT under the influence of any drugs while in the states, they come completely random (same sleeping pattern, lifestyle, everything's the same)
Can anybody relate to this? I feel frustrated because of this because I play so well when it happens..and when it ends I'm just back to being at my usual skillcap..
Yeah that's completely normal. Normally to me when that happens, I've been previously stuck at a "skill wall" and those moments indicates I've broken through and will start improving steadily again until the next one ^^
lenpai

Runestone wrote:

These sparks of genius sometimes happen on certain people. As for me, it happens very rarely but I get to achieve and retain, if not, a bit less than the improvement I get. The improvement I never get to retain is high accuracy *looks at Haryu Extra high score *cries

People experience it hahaha
PyaKura
Yeah it happens to me every 2 months or so, I start beating most of my highscores and it ends up resulting in a fair bit of improvement. It happens. Though the more you improve the less you'll be experiencing those skill boosts moments. As a newbie it used to happen every few days haha.
Bobbias

Drace wrote:

Yeah that's completely normal. Normally to me when that happens, I've been previously stuck at a "skill wall" and those moments indicates I've broken through and will start improving steadily again until the next one ^^
Exactly the same here. Haven't had one of those days in ages though :<
ikzune
is it just me who found out i can warmup really quick by playing a mix between osu standard and mania and then improve faster also?
Bobbias
laishiou confirmed for weird.

But seriously, I know that wouldn't work for me.
Grassgrow

laishiou wrote:

is it just me who found out i can warmup really quick by playing a mix between osu standard and mania and then improve faster also?
I actually slightly improve in osu standard jump-heavy songs when i spent some time playing O2jam or 7k mania, but not the other way around unfortunately >:(
Starry-

laishiou wrote:

Not at all for me :x and I'd consider myself decent at standard.. :(
lenpai
In my case I get slightly better, especially in accuracy, after mapping/charting something for a while.
Grassgrow
When you guys play 7K songs, and you have a "(space) J" chord, you usually press it with your thumb and your pointer finger. But what if it's a "F (space)" chord, do you still use the same thumb, or do you switch thumbs depending on the other notes in that chord? I always use the same thumb and i've recently thought about this, if anyone interchanges thumbs depending on the notes.
PyaKura
I personally never ever used my other thumb for the spacebar no matter what.
show more