forum

[GUIDE] How to improve in osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
show more
PyaKura
Even 1/16 jacks are very uncommon but those can still be found in insanely stupid hard charts.
Bara-
but... 1/16 on 100 bpm is the same as 1600 bpm
Topic Starter
Drace
Yeah 1/16 happens with the purpose to make the player lose hp at that point, dunno why I put 1/32 though, anything 1/16 and above is pretty much for the same purpose. My bad~~

Thanks for pointing that out, must of been feeling sadistic when I typed it out heh
Silver Sky
I'm currently using a standard laptop keyboard and I find that 7K is hard for me, I mean I can't improve as fast as when I practice 4K. Is that normal?
And I just downloaded a lot of o2jam conversions but I don't know which is good for practicing, can you guys recommend me some? :)
Thanks before :D
Bobbias
We've already talked a lot about how to practice in this thread. Personally, I suggest finding maps you like covering a range of difficulties based on your current skill. Don't limit yourself to songs you can only do well on.

As for your speed at improving, don't worry so much about it. 7k takes longer to adjust to for most people, especially since it's quite common for people to have experience at some other 4k game, and less common for them to have had experience on a 7k game.

And don't worry about playing on a laptop keyboard. Many players like myself play on laptops and do just fine.
ikzune
yes as long as key rollover isnt an issue with your laptop keyboard there is nothing to be worried about with it
DJKero
About the sync stuff, could you explain it taking into account the full range of acc. error?

Like i don't get what you're saying if you don't explain it without saying how much late ms you had in that hypotetical case.

I'm trying it right now, and i vary from -25 ~ +28 to -10 ~ +18 in the last song i played...

Edit: with this i mean like, it's like i should start pointing out in a notepad those and the average them both - and + and see the difference so if i see a consistento trend to press later like in mine, i should modify the bar position like you said in the post?
Topic Starter
Drace
Like I said in the section, you should only consider plays that had "very" low unstable values. A low unstable value means you were mostly constant in your hits and your +/- values are more definitive about you're own required offsets

On the other hand a high unstable value means you weren't constant in your hits and in turn your +/- values aren't really definitive enough to warrant an offset change. What I mean is, playing a song where you literally hit all over the place trying to find that 300g sweet-spot will in-turn give you +/- values that are "all over the place".

Your results seem pretty normal, you don't seem to need offset.
Bobbias
Personally I consider below 200 unstable good enough to tell me if there's an offset issue with a map.
chikitani
When practicing songs that are "too hard" for you, would you recommend playing with Half-Time or NF? I feel NF isn't helping as much since I end up just trying to spam when there's too many notes, but Half-Time is also kind of meh at times.
Topic Starter
Drace
Normally you should just play easier maps since using half-time is essentially also creating an easier map. The only difference is half-time is much more boring.

BUT if it's a map where the pattern type is one you've never encountered before, using half time is a good way to initiate yourself to said pattern. (Note that density, speed and superposition are not patterns. They're just harder variations of a pattern.)
chikitani
What if it's a problem with density?

Rather than the speed being the problem (except on jackhammers), as I try to break the 4star barrier, I find myself not being able to keep up with the 3-4 chords or the 2-3 alternating streams during LN's, etc.
Topic Starter
Drace
You're making the map less dense with half time so you're not getting anywhere any faster.

But really any sort of training yields improvement in the end, just keep at it and make sure you're having fun ^^
Janacechan
Thanks for this guide will follow all of them :33 I'm newb.
Kinac
I have two choices for a keyboard. I have a laptop keyboard and a cheap rubber dome. I can't really tell which is better. Which should I use?
Another problem I have is my reading on 7k. I always feel like I'm just mashing keys.
Silver Sky

Kinac wrote:

I have two choices for a keyboard. I have a laptop keyboard and a cheap rubber dome. I can't really tell which is better. Which should I use?
Another problem I have is my reading on 7k. I always feel like I'm just mashing keys.
Between those two, if your laptop keyboard doesn't have ghosting issues then I would recommend it because it has shorter bottom out distance than rubber dome. In my case, I feel my stamina drained quickly when I play with rubberdome or even mech keyboards I don't know why:/

And about 7K reading, I can't really answer bcs I still suck at it D: . But maybe if you want to improve single note reading, try bms conversions. Or if you want to improve LN reading play more LN maps, tbh I found LN maps are good for finger independence because one time you have to press something when the other fingers are pressing other pattern beside it (layering).
Yuki Toboe

Kinac wrote:

For your reading, did you know you can adjust the scroll speed by pressing F3 and F4?

In regards to the keyboard, If you've found a setup you can press the key combinations you want, I would just use whichever is more comfortable. If you have any concern about wearing it out then just use the rubber dome.
ikzune
aside from ghosting just ensure that key roll over is at least 7 for 7k preferably more if you plan to increase key count to 10 or more if they implement it in the future
Verniy_Chan
Thanks for you guide
>> Helpful
Leica
I don't really know where I would score. I can do everything in the Beginner section, but then I can only do half of the Novice section. (trills you can kiss my butt >:c) But either way, what do you do if the tips of your fingers start to hurt? It's mainly my left middle finger (I specialize in 4k and 7k) and it's been like that for at least a week. Also, your eyes? I'd like to play at higher speeds, but my eyes start to hurt and I can't blink. Do you get used to this, or is it like.. something you learn? Please help >~< ALSO ALSO! Last thing: How do you get a better accuracy on a song with a ton of streams?
PyaKura
inb4 play more, which is really all there is to say with this kind of game. :c

Shintsuka wrote:

what do you do if the tips of your fingers start to hurt? It's mainly my left middle finger (I specialize in 4k and 7k) and it's been like that for at least a week.
I don't really know, I've never had the tip of my figers hurting before, if anything it was mostly my arms' muscles or my wrist. Do have sensitive fingers ? In any case I generally stop playing when it's starting to hurt.

Shintsuka wrote:

Also, your eyes? I'd like to play at higher speeds, but my eyes start to hurt and I can't blink. Do you get used to this, or is it like.. something you learn? Please help >~< ALSO ALSO! Last thing: How do you get a better accuracy on a song with a ton of streams?
It's just something that comes by itself. You should try to increase your speed by 1 every once in a while when you're facing more and more dense maps and that's about it. Getting used to the new speed doesn't take too long. It also depends on the map's style. i.e : I usually set 26 for stream-heavy maps, or mostly made of simple notes (BMS), and 25 or 24 for maps with more LNs. I've never had my eyes hurting specifically due to higher scrolling speed though.
ikzune
dont push to play at higher scroll speeds, scroll speed is made so that you can adjust it when you eventually are able to read faster, improving acc just comes with time you will get more consistent you can bore yourself by playing really easy maps to work on it a bit too
Leica
Thank you guys for the tips! I'll be sure to slowly work my way up instead of just rushing into it!

And apparently the finger thing is something I'll get used to over time. It's like playing a string instrument (orchestra/guitar) and you get like blisters on your fingers or something.
Bobbias
If you get blisters on your fingers from playing mania, you're doing something wrong.
Leica

Bobbias wrote:

If you get blisters on your fingers from playing mania, you're doing something wrong.

Oh, no I'm not getting blisters on my fingers, but the tips of them hurt really bad.
Yuki Toboe

Shintsuka wrote:

Bobbias wrote:

Oh, no I'm not getting blisters on my fingers, but the tips of them hurt really bad.
Relaxing your hands will help you play better too, you shouldn't be having to hit/press the keys so hard that your fingers are hurting.
PyaKura
I can understand if you're tensing your arms up while playing though, I do that 75% of the time.
Rinoa Angelo
Why is someone like PyaKura giving advice?
PyaKura
Right why would I not give advice ?
Topic Starter
Drace
Everyone's eligible to give advice, sometime what you need is from where you least expect it ^^
Marirose
umm...i think all player need is practice :3/
Dremeling
thanks
kidlat020
I'm back in this thread to say

I JUST DON'T GET IT!

Is this really it for me? currently 2k pp for me and I've been playing lately but I don't feel like I made something noteworthy.
Bobbias
I hope you're not using PP as your way of measuring progress. You can gain PP quickly when you start out, but once you've gotten enough good scores that you've filled out your top scores list, it becomes extremely difficult to get more PP without actually improving at the game.
lenpai
Guy above me is correct. I'm staring to improve in LNs significantly but it wouldn't make much of an effect in pp count. This showing that pp isn't the most effective way of scaling one's skill.
Improving in vsrgs is a person to person based thing (this is my opinion and I have observed this in many people). I've been playing 7k for like 2 years but I can say that I'm better than an online friend that i know who played for 4 years (actively). Talent does something but don't give up! practice is still very improtant.
I'm pretty sure you know this high diff + good accuracy = more pp
What made the difference between me and my online friend os that i jump between multiple vsrgs. O2jam and now o!m gave me basic LN practice and accuracy. FtB helped me with SVs, awkward patterns, and dexerity + strength. Jumping bewtween game could help if you can't find solutions to your weakness in this game.
kidlat020
no no no nothing like that.

pp aside, I personally don't feel I'm improving. At best I'd get something like 10k difference in score (which is little) and sometimes a -50k to -80k diff.
lenpai
Oh, THAT issue. I know someone who has the same problem as you do. I'm not really sure on how that gets resolved. But I suggest taking pattern specific maps (BMS, Multi-layer, LN, Jackhammers). That might do the trick.
That's what I usually do to further improve. Also know your top weakness and improve in that.
Bobbias
Yeah, I've been playing for over a decade, and I'm very slow at improving, so I'm very well aware of how frustrating the feeling of not improving is. I've had times where I make literally NO progress in 6+ months at a time.

Amefurashi is right, the best thing to do when you feel like you're not getting any better is to identify what your weaknesses are and try to find maps that have those patterns. Interestingly enough though, when doorknob and davteezy uploaded their BMS converts, I spent a month playing almost nothing but them, and my LN skills improved (as well as my BMS skills).
kikiotsuka
osu!mania noob here, I just started and when I play odd numbered key songs, hitting the spacebar/gold note feels awkward. Should the keys be rebinded to feel better, or do I just have to get used to hitting the space bar for the gold note? Thanks
Bobbias

kikiotsuka wrote:

osu!mania noob here, I just started and when I play odd numbered key songs, hitting the spacebar/gold note feels awkward. Should the keys be rebinded to feel better, or do I just have to get used to hitting the space bar for the gold note? Thanks
Most players stick with the space bar, but there are some players who use different key binds. Space bar is always the hardest key, even for really good players. Don't worry about it too much.
show more