forum

[resolved] [confirmed] osu! crashing when exiting from spectator mode.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Marcin
If you try to watch, someone who is watching someone else playing (in this case I was checking CtB), and if you exit shortly after getting forwarded, osu! crashes.
Crash details: http://db.tt/6aW35qpi

Steps to reproduce:
1. Find someone, watching someone else playing a game.
2. Try to spectate them
3. Quickly exit shortly after spectating begins (when you'll be seeing actual gameplay).
4. Enjoy broken sound, and osu! pippi crash.

On 4 tries, crashed 3 times.
Edit: Seems to happen randomly, or at least - there is one more thing causing this, because on some players I'm able to crash, but on some - not.

This time not useless report ;_;
TheVileOne
I triggered it after exiting after several fruits were caught. The OP tells me there are other ways to trigger it as well. The error message says Attempted to read Protected Memory.
Topic Starter
Marcin
I've also triggered it while testing with TVO by rapidly changing spectators - seems to be related to spectating as a whole, not just chains.
Edit: Video:
TheVileOne
I'm getting it by unspectating and then respectating the same user. After awhile it will just trigger and crash the game. Having the user catch some fruit and then escaping is triggering the crash as well.
peppy
I'm not getting this crash reported to my crash logs, so if possible could you please copy and paste the content of the "details" tab on the crash dialog.
Topic Starter
Marcin
System.AccessViolationException: There was attempt to read / save a protected memory region. It often means that the memory could be broken (idk how to translate it better)
peppy
The details tab (second tab) should contain more than just this. I need that.
Topic Starter
Marcin
It's shown on video - there is nothing more.
*or i'm so blind, but I don't think i'm that dumb*
TheVileOne

This is all it shows.

I should note that the game doesn't crash. It just throws this error that forces you to exit the game.

Perhaps your error reporting in this part of the game isn't as robust. If my memory serves me well, this type of error has never came with a list of methods with it. It used to happen while dealing with Timing lines in the editor. It doesn't anymore thankfully.
Topic Starter
Marcin
Also, there is a link for screenshot in the OP, but peppy didn't look up :(
PrivatHansi1
well i am using this settings:

and it happend to me 3 times in a row, BUT i was watching one person and i didnt speced another one.
never happend before, maybe one of the last patches caused this problem
MouseOnly25
I have the same problem, i started spectating a player and then i switch to another during playing..

MillhioreF
Spectating 3-5 CtB players in a row seems to cause this. It's gotten worse now, though - it simply displays "osu! has stopped working" instead of the custom error dialog.

Edit: One of the osu.exe threads seems to be locking and infinite looping. Posting a stacktrace on the off chance it'll help (probably not)
box
0, ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0x17e7
1, ntoskrnl.exe!KeAcquireSpinLockAtDpcLevel+0x93d
2, ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x19f
3, ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0xba4
4, ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0x1821
5, ntoskrnl.exe!_misaligned_access+0x1a97
6, mscorwks.dll!DllRegisterServerInternal+0x4193
7, 0xc2b4f148
8, 0x7b568c0018e94c
9, 0x735e146e7358d338
10, 0x18e94cc2b4f150
11, 0x18e924002ec900
12, 0x2ec96410208f10
13, 0x18e680003a1340
14, 0x10208f10735994d7
15, 0x18e6f400000034
16, 0xef516800fc32b95
17, 0x300018e710
18, 0x10208f100018e710
19, 0xfc32c040018e6f4
20, 0xfc3426800000000
21, 0x18e74000000000
22, 0x18e78c
23, 0x18e6dc00000001
24, 0x6f6b19f400000000
25, mscorwks.dll!DllRegisterServerInternal+0x4193
26, mscorwks.dll!CorExitProcess+0x158f4
27, mscorwks.dll+0x1daa
28, 0x3da056
29, 0x59d5a5f
30, 0x59d3a3b
31, System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll+0x20bcb7
32, System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll+0x208ddf
33, System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll+0x208957
34, System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll+0x2087a1
35, System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll+0x1c5911
36, mscorwks.dll+0x1b4c
37, mscorwks.dll+0x18951
38, mscorwks.dll!CoUninitializeEE+0x11861
39, mscorwks.dll!CoUninitializeEE+0x11894
40, mscorwks.dll!CoUninitializeEE+0x118b2
41, mscorwks.dll!StrongNameErrorInfo+0xfd81
42, mscorwks.dll!StrongNameErrorInfo+0xfca1
43, mscorwks.dll!StrongNameErrorInfo+0x101be
44, mscorwks.dll!CorExeMain+0x168
45, mscorwks.dll!CorExeMain+0x98
46, mscoreei.dll!CorExeMain+0x71
47, mscoree.dll!CreateConfigStream+0x13f
48, mscoree.dll!CorExeMain+0x8
49, ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x63
50, ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x36
peppy
I still can't replicate this. It must require very specific conditions..
Eni
Re: t/147515

I have the same issue but that was my first time spectating someone after restarting. I was not pressing any keys when the crash occurred.
Kaguya Hourain

Project Railgun wrote:

Re: t/147515

I have the same issue but that was my first time spectating someone after restarting. I was not pressing any keys when the crash occurred.
I got that as well now. Client suddenly crashed after player switched maps. I went to spectate another person afterwards but I didn't get crash again. Must be between certain maps or something from what I assume. Still testing.

*EDIT* Tried spectating the same songs in a row, I didn't crash. Something else must be the cause that is escaping me right now.
peppy
I've found the cause of this, and am working on a fix. It's about the worst thing that can possibly go wrong (managed code collecting an unmanaged callback function while it is still being called by a no-longer-referenced unmanaged object).
peppy
Should be fixed in the next release.
Topic Starter
Marcin
Is it already pushed to public? because http://db.tt/gMtYllDv
Jesss
I got this error...i just said "WAT?"

My case is pretty "unique" and kinda rare ._. I was about to find a song to play via "search" and the music suddenly started to sound like a damaged CD (endless loop) and the Pippi window appeared with the "system.accessviolationexception: attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indicating that other memory is corrupt" error and no debug info appeared O_O. However, the game didn't freeze at all.

Here my Screenshot

My settings:

TheVileOne
Bug is still occurring in latest test build. There are multiple ways to trigger this bug. I've only tested with CTB players so far.

The two that I have found.

Spectating someone else very early into the transitional process of loading into spectator mode can crash the game. This one is hard to replicate.

Spamming Escape while entering spectator mode of a user who is in the process of playing a song will crash the game. Spamming escape might not be necessary, but this probably requires pretty precise timing to trigger. Spamming escape crashes the game very consistently.

1. While the song is loading spam escape until gameplay.
2. Two possible results may occur by hitting escape by this method
-If gameplay hasn't started then hitting escape during the loading screen will act like a refresh button. It will fade out and back into the same player you are spectating.
-If gameplay has already started, then hitting escape will do nothing during the loading screen, and if you hit escape early enough after the loading finishes, then you will crash the game.

Spectating a different person can have a similar effect as escaping too quickly. It's harder to trigger though. basically spectate someone and while the game is loading the information, hit f9 and spectate someone else. It may take several consecutive spectator swaps before it actually crashes the game.
Eni
I spectated my friend and when he restarted the map, it crashed again. Waiting a while, the cursor was still stuck in a rigid movement even after the host retried the map once more.

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
MillhioreF
Still happening on latest test. In my case, I was spectating a player normally, and then switched chat tabs right as they were starting a new map (this probably doesn't matter)

While the dialog box is up, osu! continues to run normally, with the exception that any mp3s attempting to play will loop the first 1/10 of the track, and so any maps being played will stutter endlessly once the mp3 starts.
peppy
Please re-test against the latest test build. I can't replicate myself, but I had trouble replicating in the first place so need some feedback here.
Topic Starter
Marcin
Still able to replicate, but had to do long trip along CtB players, because I was missing map everytime >.< http://db.tt/TTFde0b8
TheVileOne
Spamming escape seems to no longer crash the game, but it leaves the game in a frozen state. If you press escape at the point where the loading circle and the background are visible in the same screen after the fade to black, the game will be refreshed, but the screen will not progress. It will just stay at this screen until you attempt to escape the window or the player switches maps.

I think the window where the game is loading and the window in which you can escape are overlapping. If you escape while the game is loading, it would crash the game. Now it just reloads to a frozen screen, but allows you to escape the window. I think this behavior happened before, but the crash window also displayed. I'm not sure if FPS matter here. i'm using custom 180 FPS, but it will probably work on 120 too.
peppy
How about now? (b20130809test)
MillhioreF
No change. In fact, it has nothing to do with *exiting* spectator mode - this time the crash happened the very first time I spectated after a fresh boot.
peppy
This is a troubling bug :|
TheVileOne
There are more than one way to trigger it. The bug that millhiore is encountering I haven't encountered yet.

If you made changes to the behavior when Escape is pressed immediately after loading, it seems to have stopped freezing. everytime I hit escape immediately it refreshes the game, but will not freeze the frame. It should exit spectator instead of refreshing, but it's better.

I'm not really sure what would be causing an immediate crash upon spectating. I've been spectating a lot of people and I haven't crashed once since you updated. I haven't thoroughly tested whether spectating people very quickly still crashes though.
peppy
Should be 100% fixed in latest test build (20130809.8).
TheVileOne
Tested switching spectated players very quickly. If you spectate someone else on the exact frame that the black loading screen appears, the game will get stuck on Buffering 0.0%. Once the player reached the end of the song, the entire spectator's replay played super fast to reach the end of the song and then plays normally. It's very precise timing. I think I will make a separate thread for such issues now that the game no longer crashes.