Chokladboll
Random question;
Is it a good idea using 7 instead of 8?
Foxtrot
Yeah
UnderminE

CDFA wrote:

Pretty much this.

Except I believe there are versions where you can download them into your computer or something.
L-Dragon
Looking at your topic, don't you mean "upgrading"? ;)
dNextGen
dont use 8,stik with win7 instead

win 8 is the worst shit microsoft ever invented,cant believe i paid $150 for this shit though
Quaraezha
[Luanny]
^nooo the windows 8 blue screen is prettier
and win8 is the modern windows vista
upgrade to 7
Quaraezha
Ephemeral
windows 8 is bad if you are:

a) stupid
b) stupid
c) stupid
d) stupid
e) dkun
f) stupid
dkun
I cry
silmarilen
i lol
Blue Stig
So my Raspberry Pi arrived yesterday.
Aurele

Ephemeral wrote:

windows 8 is bad if you are:

a) stupid
b) stupid
c) stupid
d) stupid
e) dkun
f) stupid
oh god xD
DaddyCoolVipper

Ephemeral wrote:

windows 8 is bad
Quaraezha

Ephemeral wrote:

windows 8 is dkun
dNextGen

DaddyCoolVipper wrote:

Ephemeral wrote:

windows 8 is bad
-____-_old

Blue Stig wrote:

Have fun updating that, Raspberry Pi is awesome though.
Dossun! Ganseki Battle was pretty fun on it. My friends had a retro TV to connect to it aswell, keyboard input though. Fun stuff in class.

Ephemeral wrote:

windows 8 is good if you are:

a) stupid
b) stupid
c) stupid
d) stupid
e) dkun
f) stupid
ftfy
Shohei Ohtani
Windows 8 has a really annoying interface

Mostly with that I had to spend a lot of time setting things up so I could find it.

Like, if you have it, I'd personally keep it, because it seems kind of pointless to drop down after you work out all of the annoyances of Windows 8.

Plus, it costs a lot less money to stay where you are rather than buying a copy of Windows 7 :P.

But yeah, Windows 8 is really annoying to use. The toddler blocks Windows Keys are pretty much useless. I only use it to find the things that Windows made it hard to find. (And Mumble, since I'm too lazy to make a desktop shortcut)
Daru
Windows 8 is pretty amazing, if your computer is a tablet.
I'd sooner stab my tablet than deal with Windows 7's dodgy as crap touch support, and the features that make Windows 8 annoying to use with a mouse and keyboard make it a joy to use with a tablet.

That said, I don't see any reason for using Windows 8 unless your computer is a tablet or at the very least has a touchscreen.

I tried Windows 8 on my desktop, and it hasn't been used since I tired it out for a few days after installing.
I own a Windows 8 tablet, and the touch features are great. I tried a friend's Windows 7 tablet as well, and by god I wanted to murder the Windows 7 out of the damn thing.
DaddyCoolVipper

Daru wrote:

Windows 8 is pretty amazing, if your computer is a tablet.
This, this, this
Ideolo

I suck.
Kaona
I have Windows 8.

I miss Windows 7.
Blue Stig
Just wait for 9.

-____- wrote:

Have fun updating that, Raspberry Pi is awesome though.
Dossun! Ganseki Battle was pretty fun on it. My friends had a retro TV to connect to it aswell, keyboard input though. Fun stuff in class.
Ugh the updates.

Also after buying the Pi, the Adafruit starter bundle, a cheap mouse and a small keyboard I FORGOT THE WIFI DONGLE!!!
Cyclohexane

dkun wrote:

I cry
it's okay I got you, OSX users ftw
Dark Tux

Blue Stig wrote:

It's great for it's size when you get it to work. Not even too much problem running videos from it. :)
Also don't recomend using USB hub port for it. Might have power little power issues then. Wireless keyboard and mouse are useful too for it.

Back to topic: Using windowns 7 or 8 is fine for both. There's no need for windows 8 yet so you should be fine with windows 7. Pretty sure most programs have support for windows 7 for long time still.
AstralPhnx
Whats with all the 8 hate (hey that rymes!). I'm testing windows 8.1 a free update to 8 and there are A LOT of improvements. For starters the start button is back (oh and if you want the start menu back then get a program called start8 from stardock), Its faster, very compatible and has the option to boot to the desktop! It is a HUGE improvement over 8 and is worth getting 8 for. So just stop hating on 8 (that also rymed)
Birdy

Ephemeral wrote:

(da)dkun is dad
CsavarNat16
Keep using windows 7 until the end of the 8

Except if I purchase the new one with touchscreen
Tsukimi Luna
I love my Windows 7

But i have been using Windows XP up until june this year
Until my elder brother passed on his 3 year old alienware m15x to me

Windows XP masterrace
Cheap reliable and easy to use <3
Best choice if you are cheapskate and poor
- Cloudy -
dont need to.
win 7 is better but you get used to win 8.
people are just too lazy to get used to it and call it bad right away ;)
D33d
When it comes down to it, 8 is better. The only "negative" is the start screen and that's merely a matter of taste. I prefer its functionality and organisation massively, as the old menu was a cramped mess. Even if you would rather stick with the old menu, it takes five minutes or fewer to choose a program and install it.

8.1 will bring around loads of improvement to Modern app management, customisation, settings, searching and supposedly mouse use. Even then, the current version is slicker, more efficient, more robust and has lots of nice features added to Explorer. As an upgrade, it isn't necessary, but if you're buying as a standalone installation, 7 and 8 are about the same price. There's really no reason to limit yourself to 7 when given the choice, because 8 does so much more. Oh, there's better multi-monitoe support and the like as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

I took advantage of the early offer and bought Start8, just in case, as Start8 is by far the slickest implementation of the start menu. I've never used it, but it gives me peace of mind. In total, I spent £30 to upgrade 7 and install the program. Media Center was free. Since I pirated 7, I only ever had to spend £25 on the upgrade and a completely bombproof license key. Even better is that a cheaper upgrade edition can still be wiped with one click, leaving nothing but the Modern stuff. No manual reinstallation required. It's fucking magic.

Oh also, I've always found 8 to be usable enough with a mouse and keyboard. There are plenty of keyboard shortcuts, the corner/edge gestures feel really natural and the ability to drag an app into the side is honestly one of my favourite features ever. 8.1 will let the user disable corner gestures and such, but Start8 and the others already have that feature. It is very easy to de-metrify 8 if it becomes that bothersome. Nobody HAS to put up with the new UI if they really don't want to and anybody who claims otherwise is a goddamn idiot.
Subject_old_1
If you're downgrading like the title claims, don't f**k up like I did and end up on a full system wipe with no anti-virus, and an old Win8 build. One of the worst time for partition manager to screw up on me >:(
Ephemeral
8 is seriously better in a lot of ways, though the ui changes are annoying as fuck. the behind-the-scenes changes are the biggest thing about it imo, the kernel improvements are dramatically faster than vista/7 from what i've noticed and i was super dubious about changing in the first place

8 is also quite easy to use once you get used to using the winkey shortcuts - winkey-c is practically old start menu
Cyclohexane
I've heard lots of things about win8 and win7, and everytime I do, it's always about some complicated crap that if you're not decently acquainted with computer science you will not understand. I am not decently acquainted with computer science.

So, this is my question: to the regular, uneducated windows user, is windows 8 better than 7, does it make a difference, and why?

That's where things get interesting.
DaddyCoolVipper

Mr Color wrote:

I've heard lots of things about win8 and win7, and everytime I do, it's always about some complicated crap that if you're not decently acquainted with computer science you will not understand. I am not decently acquainted with computer science.

So, this is my question: to the regular, uneducated windows user, is windows 8 better than 7, does it make a difference, and why?

That's where things get interesting.

It's faster and has a really shit interface. If you don't mind that stupid "start screen" crap, then buy it.

#waitingforwindows9
Jarby
Apparently ASIO4ALL isn't supported in Windows 8, so I actually have a legitimate reason to avoid it now aside from just not giving a fuck.
WindowsME
Go ahead and downgrade to XP or get linux
D33d

Jarby wrote:

ASIO4ALL
Pile of gash.

The start screen really isn't that bad at all. In fact, if you like to be organised, it's much better because everything can be arranged in tidy groups. Again, it's entirely possible to dispense of it anyway, which is why I keep saying that the point is redundant. 8.1's gonna be the shit anyway. The shit.
show more