forum

How did you start rhythm gaming?

posted
Total Posts
show more
FrzR
o2jam. Like i was still in 6th grade.
Lapis-
With DDR/Guitar hero, moving onto Stepmania, moving to osu!
Please
SUPER CRAZY GUITAR MANIAC DELUXE 3!

ftw
Arkuski
This thread brings back memories for sure!

My earliest memory of rhythm gaming was going to Disney World and seeing these two guys playing DDR Disney Mix at Innoventions. I thought I would have been good at it because I play soccer and have fairly quick feet, but alas, we all know no one is good at DDR their first time. In the fall of 2005, I played DDR Extreme 2 with my friend on his PS2 a few times and it was a lot of fun. I started getting the hang of light songs and streams of quarter notes. That Christmas, my parents got me DDR Universe 3 (so surprised other people actually played this game!). I played a lot and started skillboosting a ton, so that by June of 2006 I was close to FCing Sakura on Heavy and I had passed Legend of Max on Heavy (incredibly challenging on a soft/foam pad!). During that time, I saw someone at school playing FFR, so I lurked there a bit until I made an account. I also downloaded Stepmania and got files from bemanistyle/FFR. These days were the good ol' days. Through the rest of 2006 I played more SM than FFR and I got pretty decent at index. However, I really wanted to play all of my files on a pad, so for Christmas my parents got me an 8 panel usb foam pad. Unfortunately, it was either broken or I was retarded (probably the latter) because I could not get this thing to work. That was the beginning of a long hiatus on rhythm games for me. FFR and bemanistyle lost their databases, and I lost interest.

In 2008 I started playing Guitar Hero 2 & 3 (2007 beat the entirety of Super Crazy Guitar Man 2) and I got decent at it. I could never beat TTFAF or Devil Went Down to Georgia, but I had a fun time playing it. Then in late 2008, I quit video games altogether.

I came back to vidya (not as intense) in mid 2010 after I graduated high school, but I didn't have much interest in playing so intently. The computer I played SM on was untouched for two years and this was around when FFR was offline. I would play FFR on the lightdarkness server on occasion to show my friends what it was all about, but I didn't come back until late 2012 when I found out it was back up! I started playing FFR a lot more, downloaded the Tachyon packs by MadMatt, and frequented the forums. I downloaded osu! on my iPod Touch randomly, and decided to look it up online. Sure enough I am here infrequently and I am enjoying it! Although, I'm so used to 4key that anything else is difficult.
Trust
I started with DDR Supernova on PS2. I was really good at it too :D
Tiny Boukensha
back in 2005 I was at a lan house playing CS 1.6 with my friends
3 hours later we decided to go home. We saw this guy playing o2jam and we decided to play it
played o2jam/o2mania until 2008 was having a great time... BUT all of a sudden the server died... it made me go =( because i was great at it but since all the servers were dying and no one was talking about it anymore, i finally decided to quit. yeah even though i worked my ass just to get good at it. thats why i always tell people.
Play for fun because one day you WILL stop playing and all that skill WILL be lost
days after i started to play pop n music.Ii also played a drum rhythm game but i cant remember the name, played a little bit of burst a fever since it was the same as o2jam but i decided to quit because i didnt want to accept the fact that i got bad at the game LOL ( yeah frustration )
played a liiiitle bit of stepmania, dance online and audition.
in december 2010 a friend of mine introduced osu! to me im still playing osu! standard.
Last year they introduced osu!mania. i'm playing it and NOW i am having fun with it ( even though i'm not as good as i was before...) because i learned my lesson.
it's not about getting good at it... it's all about having fun lol
NoirVeil
TBH.. i never played any rhytm games before, because i'm really terrible at it . . .
so, u can say that the first rhythm game i've played is Osu!

Although after my brother has download this game, i just play it when boring ..
and then after a month i found Osu!Mania

i try to playing all the time because it's so fun
and now i'm trying to increase my rank . . .

i'm not really good in English, just tell me if there's any wrong grammar
Hello Skitty
I started with osu!standard 6 months ago. I play osu!mania sometimes but i prefer standard because im better and its more simple. I played elite beat agents in nds 3 years ago but very casual level.
Hawkward
Oh god, I'm having to dig pretty deep here to remember. In fact this answer might not exactly fall under the category 100% but it's what got me interested in this genre. Everything contributed to what I play now though, so it all has a place in my heart.

VIB RIBBON!!! It looks simple but don't underestimate this little bugger.

I also played a lot of Dancing Stage as a kid - had one of those mats that could fold up. I still have the game on me, but not the mat, not anymore at least.

I then started to bridge the gap through MTV Music Generator 2 on the PS2. I know what some of you are thinking - "IT'S NOT A RHYTHM GAME!". But that's besides the point here. Through playing this simple music making game, I got familiar with the structure of music, it taught me to appreciate not just the song, but the melody of a song, the bass of a song, the various elements of the song that piece it together.

The next game I remember afterwards must have been Guitar Hero 3, loved playing it!... up until I had a new addition to the family who played acoustic guitar, so I felt kind of stupid at that point that he could play guitar, while I could only play a virtual game. At that point I pretty much took a hiatus from rhythm gaming to work on my piano.

Nowadays, I play osu!mania and Hatsune Miku Project Diva. Still looking for more games to enjoy, but for now I'm happy :)
Sorarei
Starting from Audition Online , DDR , PIU , DJMAX Technika , and osu!
I first played GH3 when it got out, then I took a short break.
Then there was Jamlegend which was just way too awzm, I really miss that game, and especially the songs, which aren't mapped in this game, unfortnately. :(
After that I got Rock Band The Beatles, followed by Rock Band 2, GH Metallica, Rock Band Green Day, and Rock Band 3. I used to be quiet the drummer back in the day. :D
After that I took a year break from rythm gaming, and picked it up again with osu! Aug 2012. Been playing standard since always, and newly picked up CTB and Mania. :)
DissonantMuse
The first ever rhythm gaming experience I had that I can remember was probably back in the early 2000's with a side scrolling game called "Tap A Jam" where you used the arrow keys to hit the notes in time with the music. It was highly addicting so I searched for something similar and found a little something called Stepmania in 2006 and I've played it ever since.

Guitar Hero was another one I played a lot, my first experience with that was when GH3 came out, once I was able to 5 star anything on Expert except Raining Blood >_> I pretty much stopped playing after that. Then around 2009 or 2010 started playing osu! I've also played a tiny bit of DDR but not too great at that. That's pretty much most of my background on rhythm gaming, and it's still one of my favorite genres
[TIM]
Guitar Hero 3 (whenever that was out.)
Osu!Mania 2012
Cozzzy

Please wrote:

SUPER CRAZY GUITAR MANIAC DELUXE 3!

ftw
THIS :)

Aside from that, I absolutely sucked at DDR in arcades as a kid, so I had a serious get-good complex when I found Stepmania in 2008 :oops: I even heard about osu! back in 2010 on FFR forums but stupidly put off trying it until almost 2013 (when I realised I wasn't really going to improve any further at Stepmania after 5 years of it)

Along the way, I think I whored almost every 4K game, and now osu!std and o!m

Crippling rhythm games addiction! /o/
Interference_old
Main Games :
PIU : 2012-now
Stepmania : 2012-now
osu! : About 2 days ago-now.

Side Games :
DDR
DJMax Technika 2 and 3
Prim
Started with DDR Supernova CS on a dualshock controller, then a friend introduced me to stepmania in 07 and it went on from there~.

DDRSN/ITG 2006~2008
StepMania/FFR 2007 ~ Present (started 6k/solo at around 2009 ish)
BMS 2009 ~ Present
osu! 2011~ Present (account was made in 09 but i barely played)
ez2on 2008~2009 (and for a few days when it was re-released in 2013)
DJMAX Trilogy 2009~2011

other games I've played (but not as much): popstage, DJMAX Online, Every DJMAX Portable Series since CE/BS, DJMAX Technika 1, ez2dj(3rd/7th/7th violet), r2beat, PIU, Guitar Hero 3, Rock Band 2, Taiko Drummaster, reflect beat, audition, audiosurf.
Reyvateil
Pump it Up - mid 2008~Present (not very active though)
Stepmania - 2009~2010
O2Jam - 2009~Until I cleared Gaussian Blur, it was somewhere by the end of the year
Taiko no Tatsujin - 2010~2012
osu! - Started on May? June?

Played some other games like Project Diva or DJMax, but never got into them at all.
Ceph23
Where else but O2jam? I was a kid when I first played it, but by the time I was old enough to actually get good at it, the game was phased out.

So I guess this is one of the reasons why I play this game.
Zealtron
Stepmania 4k: 2007 - Present
Stepmania 6k: 2011 - Present
Osu!: 2009 - Present (Even though I took a 4 year hiatus)
Osu!mania: 2013 - Present

I also played a little FFR, Jubeat, and O2jam on the side. But hardly much.
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAS
umm maybe..

EZ2DJ 2004~ 2006 ( maybe )
O2Jam 2008~2013

i played many rhythm game

DJMAX jubeat Popstage EZ2ON

so many..
Xcrypt
I've always liked rhythm games but I've never been playing them much until recently.

My first experiences with rhythm games were (>5 years ago):
o2jam
parappa the rapper
guitar hero
super crazy guitar maniac :p

june 2013 - september 2013, I picked up o2mania and started playing it obsessively.
jule 2013 - september 2013, picked up osu! standard mode on the side and played it casually.
Then I took a 2 month break because of RSI xD
Now I play mainly osu!mania. Sometimes other games but not much.
Wakaburi
2007 - Frets On Fire.... I was just a little kid back then... Was fascinated by guitars and wanted to find a program that you can play guitar through keyboard... that's how I founded Frets On Fire...
2008 to 9 - Rockfree... I came upon this game purely by coincidence, it was the first rhythm game I started playing seriously.
2009 - Rockband Unplugged PSP... Having nothing to do when I was in cram school, I found and installed this game to my psp, teachers got mad at me for playing it though...
2009 to 11 - Jamlegend.... As the name says, the game was legendary. I still miss that game, too bad they shut it down.
2010 - Guitar Hero... My best-friend had Guitar Hero, we would always play together, he played the bass and I played the guitar...
2012 Continuing - Osu... That's when my real obsession with rhythm games started, sometimes ditching school just to practise more, etc.

After all that years, I probably have 1-1.5 years worth play time but I'm not even close to ET >__>
-Rhea-_old
first time would be Guitar Hero on PS2.. (Around 2007)
and then tried o2jam for only 2 month :o (2009)
finally stuck in this game XD (2013-present)
Tear
(Patapon doesn't count, too casual)
2011 - Elite Beat Agents
2011 to present - osu!standard
2013 to present - osu!mania
2014 to present - DJMax series

I'm so new to rhythm games ;_; I think my acc is because I used to obsess about really hard platformers so I have good muscle memory
Murako

Tear wrote:

(Patapon doesn't count, too casual)
:<
That aside, I only played guitar hero like to... 2008-2011 untill i could pass every song on all games in expert (I guess that's why my left hand doesn't get tired on dense maps lol)
Then I got tired of it and took a short hiatus on rythm games until I found osu!, only played standard for like two months but really casual.

On 07/2013 I found out there was another mode on osu! and that is o!m, I started playing 7K only and it is still the mode I play the most. Also in the time I've been here I started playing o2Jam and BMS too :)
D u k e n
Osu! is firt rhythm game i play

Osu!-December 2013-Now
I'm a 4k and CTB player :)
Empress
I start with osu in 2012 with a videon of a french YTP maker
I played STD until the release of o!m, after that I discover Stepmania.
Now I'm a 4k player, and I'm planing to play in standard.
CaptainAhab_old

HamarGaylord wrote:

I start with osu in 2012 with a videon of a french YTP maker
I played STD until the release of o!m, after that I discover Stepmania.
Now I'm a 4k player, and I'm planing to play in standard.
Do you like o!m or Stepmania better out of curiosity?
- Marco -
If b-boy (Ps2) is rythm game then that.
Empress
I like Stepmania, that were I train all my "4k skill"
But now I play only O!M after a big break.
Metalsnake27
First Rhythm Game was DDR MAX 2 on the PS2.

Mostly DDR from there when I was young... was always better than most of the people in my family...

Then Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Was ok, never liked the giant controller though.

Then I picked up DJMAX Portable in 2009. Been playing them ever since. DJMAX Fever, DJMAX Portable: Black Square, DJMAX Portable 3, DJMAX Technika TUNE, DJMAX Trilogy. (And recently DJMO Private Server)

Never played Beatmania until I found a cabinet at a gaming convention I went to (Some arcade brought in a whole bunch of bemani games) and I failed badly at it... >_<. Controller takes a bit to get used to.
Topic Starter
Drace
Wow, bemani machines in america... I'd move there in a heart beat if it weren't for school

lucky lucky lukcy :o :o
Metalsnake27

Drace wrote:

Wow, bemani machines in america... I'd move there in a heart beat if it weren't for school

Sadly, most of the DDR cabinets I find now a days, are in horrible condition. The pads are either really sticky or bearly work at all....

I know there are certain arcades that have a bunch of bemani games in really good condition... don't think there is any near me though D:
Topic Starter
Drace
Oh, I thought you meant an IIDX machine when you said beatmania ;o

my bad
Kamikaze
I started rhythm gaming when my classmate showed me osu! in late 2011, then I started playing mania around April 2012 due to other friend's complaints that he has nobody to play mania with on multi :P And I've eventually stayed with it. I became interested in other games of that type, so I've tried o2jam, unfortunately I've been on some shitty server (client crashed more times than worked) and I've found LR2 on Youtube when watching BMS stuff, about November 2013. So now I'm playing osu!, LR2, and I'm thinking about trying Stepmania or Project Diva. I might get back to o2jam some time too.
Pichu
2008 to 2009 Tap Tap Revenge 3
2009 to 2013 Stepmania
2013 to now osu!mania
10crystalmask01

Metalsnake27 wrote:

Then Guitar Hero/Rock Band. Was ok, never liked the giant controller though.
This was the first rhythm game form me. And I sucked at it....
Then there was that Redbana Audition game, but the 3D figures looked pretty weird.

And now this game :)
Still miss the old FPS games (like Counter Strike) I use to play tho
Ryu Sei
Plays some rhythm game in my phone, 5 years ago.
Next 2 years, just recently found Audition Online and used to play it.
And today. Played osu! and DJMAX Technika 3.
ArcherLove

osu!mania around 5 month ago ...
Inkling

Drace wrote:

The Super Arcade in socal that hosts Wednesday Night Fights on Twitch has IIDX and Pop n Music machines O:
show more