forum

Solution: Running osu! In Ubuntu or Xubuntu

posted
Total Posts
show more
Baspar

Refon_S wrote:

Wine 1.3.21 has been released... So I downloaded source and tried compiling it. After some "segfault" errors I understood that extreme overclocking (Processor: 2660 -> 3900 MHz, RAM(DDR2): 333 MHz 6-6-6-18 -> 300 MHz 4-4-4-12) makes my machine VERY unstable. And something happened to custom kernel too... now there is Ubuntu's default 2.6.38-9-generic kernel and my machine has default settings.

Well, after all, I compiled new version, and, what my test showed: first of all, there is no jumping cursor after spinners now! ;) Bug with video mem lack crashes hasn't returned, and that's awesome too. Baspar, could you please check new Wine on your machine, maybe bugs and errors you were talking about in .16-.20 were fixed.
I was already on 1.3.21 when I've the problem :S

But I know what I am supposed to do to avoid this problem: I have to don't skip the opening/ending break :P

Like I say, Linux is very sensitive ><

And SatoXYN, ATi's linux drivers are less led than the nvidia one... Prehaps because of that :S

Wassaaaa: I think it's because of gdiplu. On some tutorials, they quot this package in order to play OSU

The most important/buggy element required by OSU is .NET :P
SatoXYN
ATI opensource driver with mesa (xf86-video-ati) makes my 5870 garbage.
ATI catalyst blob is preety laggy. I don't know how to play osu with it. I have ~45gb of osu maps and when i choose map it runs 20 fps only, while on 9600gt was 60-70 fps. And there are some in-game lags which drives me crazy too.

I have artifacts both in osu and in OS/browser!
Trying to flash the bios
Baspar
Mmh.. I can't help you, I have never got an ATi graphic card :S
Wassaaaa

SatoXYN wrote:

ATI opensource driver with mesa (xf86-video-ati) makes my 5870 garbage.
ATI catalyst blob is preety laggy. I don't know how to play osu with it. I have ~45gb of osu maps and when i choose map it runs 20 fps only, while on 9600gt was 60-70 fps. And there are some in-game lags which drives me crazy too.

I have artifacts both in osu and in OS/browser!
Trying to flash the bios
Mmmm i have all beatmap packs in osu! and i have a ATI Radeon HD 5450 (low-profile) 1gb, Ubuntu 11.04, run at a resolution of 1024x768 (fullscreen) and runs 300 to 400 fps, in the options of CCC I have everything in Performance and and all options enabled in Osu! not that kind of problem you have, sorry
sinni800
They should push Mono.XNA further and all this would be no problem.. Meh.
Rukario
So I downloaded the latest wine build and got all the dlls that were suggested and got this error:

Every help and suggestion would be very nice^^
Baspar
Have you installed all the packages listed above ?

If yes, I'll upload my OSu's folder, you'll only have to launch osu!.exe

EDIT: here you have: http://www.mediafire.com/?ijvlt4726ahafss
Refon_S

Rukarioman wrote:

So I downloaded the latest wine build and got all the dlls that were suggested and got this error:
Every help and suggestion would be very nice^^
Wine doesn't like osu installation .exe, so only way to run is to get a folder with pre-installed osu. There was one here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZXY2UTL7 (thanks to Nargajuna). Just put folder from archive and try lauhching osu!.exe in it.
Lenneth Wemyss
A small suggestion to anyone having troubles like choppy audio or similar.

Just try a fresh wine prefix.

It will work flawlessly in minutes.
Rukario
Sorry that the reply took so long but if I start the osu!.exe via wine the osu! logo appears but it no window ever appears.
after the logo disappears, at the spot where the logo was, the mouse also disappears.
Any idea why it never appears?
Baspar
Launch OSU in a terminal and show us the error(s).
Rukario
what was the terminal command for that? (sorry just started using Ubuntu)

Edit: I tried using it with "sudo wine osu!.exe" but I think the terminal doesn't like the "!", because it says "bash: !.exe: event not found"
Baspar
Try that:

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/osu\!/osu\!.exe

If you leave wine folder on default, it'll be OK

( And yes, in bash, if there's a space or a ! in a filename, it'll be \! and \(space) )
Rukario
Well it's outputting a lot of stuff but it basically repeats always "fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread info class 16 not supported yet" all the time
Baspar
This isn't a big problem that..
Is there any other error, but without "fixme" on the begenning of the line ?

Have you install all the package listed on the first page ? ( Or on the post above )
DreamSoul_old

Rukarioman wrote:

Well it's outputting a lot of stuff but it basically repeats always "fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread info class 16 not supported yet" all the time
What kind of video card? Which driver? When you run the Wine do not need to use the sudo.
marshallracer
err ... can someone tell me a good screen recording programm for linux, which also records the sound from the desktop and/or single windows?
so i maybe could make something like a little video tutorial ... or stuff ^^
DreamSoul_old

marshall_racer wrote:

err ... can someone tell me a good screen recording programm for linux, which also records the sound from the desktop and/or single windows?
Recordmydesktop.
Baspar

DreamSoul wrote:

Rukarioman wrote:

What kind of video card? Which driver? When you run the Wine do not need to use the sudo.
I've alwas the same error, and i still play OSU

If the line begin with "fixme", the game can works.
marshallracer

DreamSoul wrote:

marshall_racer wrote:

Recordmydesktop.
Refon_S

Baspar wrote:

That "fixme" is because of dotnet. But not appearing osu-window clearly shows that it is video-driver error.

Rukarioman, have you installed NVidia/ATI proprietary drivers? If not, install them using "Menu -> System -> Extra drivers" (don't know how exactly it's called in English, 'cause I have Russian version of Xubuntu).
If they are installed, try fully cleaning your wine prefix: enter "winetricks" in terminal, then "select the default wineprefix -> Delete ALL DATA AND APPLICATIONS INSIDE THIS PREFIX" (normally default wineprefix is
/home/%USERNAME%/.wine/
and don't forget to move your osu! folder from there (if it's there), or it will be deleted too).
Then, after cleaning prefix, it will be recreated with default settings. Close winetricks window, then type in terminal window once again:
winetricks corefonts fontfix gdiplus dotnet20
(Well, after "winericks" programs can go in any order, but better just copy-paste that line in you terminal)
After everything is installed, type "winecfg" in terminal and Wine Config window will appear. Select "Audio", and then in DirectSound section set Hardware Acceleration to "Emutation".

Well, after all of this procedures everything is working just perfect on my machine: Intel Pentium 4 3,66 GHz, 1Gb DDRII RAM, NVidia GeForce 8600 GTS. And my system is Xubuntu 11.04, kernel is custom-compiled 2.6.39.1.
If you won't have any problems, that's awesome, if that will be happening again, there is something wrong with your system and/or hardware.
Zhanger_old

Refon_S wrote:

Baspar wrote:

That "fixme" is because of dotnet. But not appearing osu-window clearly shows that it is video-driver error.

Rukarioman, have you installed NVidia/ATI proprietary drivers? If not, install them using "Menu -> System -> Extra drivers" (don't know how exactly it's called in English, 'cause I have Russian version of Xubuntu).
If they are installed, try fully cleaning your wine prefix: enter "winetricks" in terminal, then "select the default wineprefix -> Delete ALL DATA AND APPLICATIONS INSIDE THIS PREFIX" (normally default wineprefix is
/home/%USERNAME%/.wine/
and don't forget to move your osu! folder from there (if it's there), or it will be deleted too).
Then, after cleaning prefix, it will be recreated with default settings. Close winetricks window, then type in terminal window once again:
winetricks corefonts fontfix gdiplus dotnet20
(Well, after "winericks" programs can go in any order, but better just copy-paste that line in you terminal)
After everything is installed, type "winecfg" in terminal and Wine Config window will appear. Select "Audio", and then in DirectSound section set Hardware Acceleration to "Emutation".

Well, after all of this procedures everything is working just perfect on my machine: Intel Pentium 4 3,66 GHz, 1Gb DDRII RAM, NVidia GeForce 8600 GTS. And my system is Xubuntu 11.04, kernel is custom-compiled 2.6.39.1.
If you won't have any problems, that's awesome, if that will be happening again, there is something wrong with your system and/or hardware.
Thank you very much :) My osu initially ran and I could see the main menu window, but I couldn't figure out why the fonts weren't rendering, however, when I ran winetricks corefonts fontfix gdiplus it was fixed. Then I realized the sound was screwed up because everytime I ran it the sound would play for like 10 seconds or so then stop for no apparent reason, but once again your post saved me again by changing DirectSound to "Emulation". Now osu! runs perfectly on Ubuntu :D.
SugoiReborn
I hope that's not unrelevant.
I successfully installed Osu!, but it won't let me play a song. Suddenly nothing happens and any sound is being muted.
What shall I do?
Baspar
Download your OSZ files, and place them on the folder: "/home/username/.wine/drve_c/Program files/osu !/Songs/"
(Replace username by yours )
When you'll launch OSU, song will be updated , but if it doesn't work, press F5 to force reload.
Refon_S

SugoiReborn wrote:

I hope that's not unrelevant.
I successfully installed Osu!, but it won't let me play a song. Suddenly nothing happens and any sound is being muted.
What shall I do?
Maybe it is because of DirectSound hardware acceleration? osu! don't like the "Full" setting, try switching it to "Emulation" in wine config. Or this is something with your sound system (I'm using PulseAudio with ALSA without any problems).
SugoiReborn
I turned it on emulation mode, and it all works perfectly, but it won't let me use text input areas.
What shall I do?
Refon_S

SugoiReborn wrote:

I turned it on emulation mode, and it all works perfectly, but it won't let me use text input areas.
What shall I do?
Well, I sometimes have this bug: I couldn't type a text in "search beatmap". However, opening and closing chat (F8) fixes that.

Well, about sound problem: that hangup that "emulation" cures does not occur on pure ALSA (without PulseAudio installed). I just cheked that, set acceleration to "Full" and launched osu -- everything works just like it should.
Orangestar1
Installation seems to crash on "Submitting Product Information". Any ideas?
Baspar

Refon_S wrote:

Wine doesn't like osu installation .exe, so only way to run is to get a folder with pre-installed osu. There was one here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZXY2UTL7 (thanks to Nargajuna). Just put folder from archive and try lauhching osu!.exe in it.

;)
Orangestar1

Baspar wrote:

Refon_S wrote:

;)
Ach! I need to remember to read before bumping next time!

Sorry for the trouble. (Coincidentally this was the workaround idea I had in mind but I was pretty sure nobody would give out pre-installed osu folders.)
saksaksak520
Often even less than a line .. I am very troubled

connecting time out
Baspar
Does it happen to you all time ?

Because, on my PC, it happen sometime, but I have to relaunch the game and it works great...

Are other wine game able to connect to servers ?
gorghurt
I have a problem with adding new songs.
I can play everything i had put in in windows, but when i add a new song(i even tried extracting them manualy) i cant play no song.
the menus work, but as soon as i go "ingame" the song freezes while loading.
after deleting the new songs folder, everything works fine again.
edit:
now after rebooting my machine its working
lol
Kamijou93
Sorry for my bad english i'm italian :)

I've followed all the instructions in the first page, but osu! doesn't work. When I try to launch the installer with wine, this error appears "The file '/home/malcolm/Documenti/osu!install.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit."

What does it mean? I have ubuntu since few days and I can't still use it properly.
I hope someone could help me :)
Moofey
Trying to get this to run in Ubuntu 11.04 has been nothing but fail for me. Upon executing the osu! logo appears, promptly disappears and that's it.

Tried this with both mono and dotnet20
Refon_S

Moofey wrote:

Trying to get this to run in Ubuntu 11.04 has been nothing but fail for me. Upon executing the osu! logo appears, promptly disappears and that's it.

That's not their problem. As you can see in terminal, there is some issues with your audio and video cards.
First of all, have you installed NVidia/ATI(AMD) proprietary drivers? It's very important, 'cause GPU doesn't work in full power with standard linux video drivers.
Don't know what to say about audio error, never had it, sorry.
Moofey

Refon_S wrote:

Moofey wrote:

That's not their problem. As you can see in terminal, there is some issues with your audio and video cards.
First of all, have you installed NVidia/ATI(AMD) proprietary drivers? It's very important, 'cause GPU doesn't work in full power with standard linux video drivers.
Don't know what to say about audio error, never had it, sorry.
The proprietary drivers are one of the first things I installed.
SatoXYN
OSU is broken in wine 1.3.28
UPDATE:
From now it's necessary to install msvcr80
exzhawk
i cant install osu, the installer stopped at"Publisher product information".
after i copy osu(installed in windows) folder to ubuntu,and lauch osu.exe, it just show the splash--a big osu,and then nothing.
can anyone help me? thanks!!
Wassaaaa
Hello again, now I have a netbook (1gb RAM, Intel integrated Graphics 256mb) with ubuntu 11.04 and wine but the "Osu!" run at 1 fps, too slow, any suggestions?

I've also tried a lighter distribution of ubuntu, easypeasy, but it seems that net framework is not installed properly and open Osu!, logo appears and then just disappears :(

Another experience I had is that I easypeasy games ran perfectly, even better than windows, Touhou to 60 fps. But in Ubuntu 11.04 games are very slow and do not look good as Touhou

I had stayed with easypeasy but as there was no solution to the problem of Osu and net, I changed
show more