forum

Solution: Running osu! In Ubuntu or Xubuntu

posted
Total Posts
show more
SatoXYN
AnnaleseSilverwing you have to use wine-pulseaudio patches or to remove pulseaudio, the first is better.
I see you're using ubuntu, here is a repo for you
https://launchpad.net/~c-korn/+archive/ppa
Refon_S

AnnaleseSilverwing wrote:

It still hangs when I try to play a beatmap. Like, I can move the cursor and pause it, but it won't start.

SatoXYN wrote:

AnnaleseSilverwing you have to use wine-pulseaudio patches or to remove pulseaudio, the first is better.
Well, Sato, there is no really need for wine-pulseaudio. Silverwing, go to winecfg -> sound and set hardware acceleration to Emulate. When it set to Full, it encounters the problem with hanging beatmaps.
czes
Hi, I'm using Arch Linux x86_64 and I have problem with osu! under wine. After a little time of playing the game crashes because of lack of graphics card memory. I've never had such error on Windows, and I have quite decent graphics (GF9800 GT) so it's not because of my rig. I'll be thankfull for help.

here's what osu! shows:

and here is wine log: http://www.copypastecode.com/70603/
KrauserJoestar

garam wrote:

Hi, I'm using Arch Linux x86_64 and I have problem with osu! under wine. After a little time of playing the game crashes because of lack of graphics card memory. I've never had such error on Windows, and I have quite decent graphics (GF9800 GT) so it's not because of my rig. I'll be thankfull for help.

here's what osu! shows:

and here is wine log: http://www.copypastecode.com/70603/

Pretty sure you have to enable the extra effects, go to System, then Appearance and after click on the visual effects tab and select the Extra option.
Download compizconfig as well, go to terminal and --> sudo apt-get install compizconfig.
marshallracer
wheew, easier than i thought <_<

follow instructions on Page 6, set Sound to ALSA and output to emulated, and you're done :)
at least, it runs as perfect as it does in windows for me ^^
only problem is, that the offset changes dramatically between both OS's <_<

Running on Ubuntu 11.04 with newest Wine & DirectX as graphic renderer
Refon_S

marshall_racer wrote:

Don't you have a jumping mouse problem after spinner with newest Wine (I mean 1.3.19)? 'Cause I had that one with 1.3.18.

I updated Wine from 1.3.15 to 1.3.19 yesturday, but testing today showed that I have the same error as garam. Well, I have even older graphics card - GeForce 8600 GTS. NVidia drivers are installed. There wasn't such error on 1.3.15 and I don't want to downgrade again >_<
Changing render from D3D to OpenGL makes no effect...
czes

KrauserJoestar wrote:

Pretty sure you have to enable the extra effects, go to System, then Appearance and after click on the visual effects tab and select the Extra option.
Download compizconfig as well, go to terminal and --> sudo apt-get install compizconfig.
I:
-don't have gnome
-don't have compiz
-don't intend to install them
-have completlny no idea why should I install compiz when I have problem with wine.
SatoXYN

Refon_S wrote:

Well, Sato, there is no really need for wine-pulseaudio. Silverwing, go to winecfg -> sound and set hardware acceleration to Emulate. When it set to Full, it encounters the problem with hanging beatmaps.
OMG you're right! I've always built wine with pulseaudio patches in order to play.
marshallracer

Refon_S wrote:

marshall_racer wrote:

Don't you have a jumping mouse problem after spinner with newest Wine (I mean 1.3.19)? 'Cause I had that one with 1.3.18.

I updated Wine from 1.3.15 to 1.3.19 yesturday, but testing today showed that I have the same error as garam. Well, I have even older graphics card - GeForce 8600 GTS. NVidia drivers are installed. There wasn't such error on 1.3.15 and I don't want to downgrade again >_<
Changing render from D3D to OpenGL makes no effect...
since the cursor is actually slow (goddamnmousespeedchangingproblems>_<), i didn't check that
but Taiko and CTB are ok :D

Edit : just checked about that after-spinner-thingy : nope, everything's fine

btw: i have a GeForce 8500 GT :D
graphics are just awesome :3
and no problems about lacking memory or something
wal13x

marshall_racer wrote:

since the cursor is actually slow (goddamnmousespeedchangingproblems>_<)
xset m <whatever> <whatever>.
I play with natural speed (1.0, no acceleration, xset m 1/1 1) of my 800dpi mouse though.
marshallracer

wal13x wrote:

marshall_racer wrote:

since the cursor is actually slow (goddamnmousespeedchangingproblems>_<)
xset m <whatever> <whatever>.
I play with natural speed (1.0, no acceleration, xset m 1/1 1) of my 800dpi mouse though.
define those "whatever"'s xD
i mean, typing in any value isn't productive if i don't know what i'm doing ;)
wal13x

marshall_racer wrote:

e.g.
xset m default ← restores defaul X mouse (accelerated)
xset m 1/1 1 ← no acceleration, 1:1 mouse
xset m 5 1 ← 5 times faster, still no acceleration
xset m 3/2 1 ← 1.5 times faster.
xset q|grep accel ← check currrent settings.
If second number is not 1, acceleration will be enabled. I don't sure if you want this.
You can make a wrapper launcher for osu if you want to change mouse speed only while osu is running (like xset m <osu> <settings>
wine 'osu!.exe'
xset m default).
ED: most players (including me) prefers to change speed and disable acceleration (acceleration changes speed on fast movements, hard to adapt on jumps) but you're free to do what you like.
marshallracer

wal13x wrote:

marshall_racer wrote:

e.g.
xset m default ← restores defaul X mouse (accelerated)
xset m 1/1 1 ← no acceleration, 1:1 mouse
xset m 5 1 ← 5 times faster, still no acceleration
xset m 3/2 1 ← 1.5 times faster.
xset q|grep accel ← check currrent settings.
If second number is not 1, acceleration will be enabled. I don't sure if you want this.
You can make a wrapper launcher for osu if you want to change mouse speed only while osu is running (like xset m <osu> <settings>
wine 'osu!.exe'
xset m default).
ok, thanks, going to test this then :3

edit : xset m 4 1 and it feels for me like in windows :3
slight slickerings are ok, still controlable
Refon_S

marshall_racer wrote:

Hm, if you have no problems, looks like I have to delete a prefix and remake it (again). 'Cause something is always going wrong after updating prefixes for new Wine version.

Well, remaking prefix hadn't helped with videomem lacking, and jumping mouse came back. =_=

So, i downgraded to 1.3.15, there is no such problems. If someone have problem with memory lacking and crash, look at this bug: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27134 - I submitted it yesturday, if you have the same, leave a comment and make a vote. Probably developers will show attention to it and will fix it.
Huskatron
OMG THANKYOU!!!!!
Baspar

Refon_S wrote:

marshall_racer wrote:

Hm, if you have no problems, looks like I have to delete a prefix and remake it (again). 'Cause something is always going wrong after updating prefixes for new Wine version.

Well, remaking prefix hadn't helped with videomem lacking, and jumping mouse came back. =_=

So, i downgraded to 1.3.15, there is no such problems. If someone have problem with memory lacking and crash, look at this bug: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27134 - I submitted it yesturday, if you have the same, leave a comment and make a vote. Probably developers will show attention to it and will fix it.
Same trouble here. But the game doesn't crashed at any time. When I play this map: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/22040 , game crashed always at the same moment. OSU shows an error" graphic card out of memory" and same in a shell, always a hexa number which shows a memory slot... I'll follow your tip, and I'lll downgrade wine...
marshallracer

Refon_S wrote:

Don't you have a jumping mouse problem after spinner
now i know what you meant by that
i had this now, but only once, and only after shortly leaving the Osu! window, and then activating it again before ending a break
but playing it through without leaving it shouldn't cause problems ;)
Baspar
Mmh, there're no more "memory card" troubles with wine 1.3.20
Refon_S

Baspar wrote:

Mmh, there're no more "memory card" troubles with wine 1.3.20
You're right, Baspar! There is no crashes on 1.3.20. However, there is still a bit jumpy cursor after spinner. What could fix him?
Someone said that setting mouse sensitivity to 1x can fix it, but I never changed it, used only "xset m".

Also, I noticed, there is no need to set sound HardwareAcceleration to Emulated. Game is not "hanging" with HA set to Basic, Standard and Full now.
Baspar
OSU's mouse sensitivity must be at 1x and the acc must be off too.

For the settings, I used xset m 7/4 .

Do you set it like that ?

If it's not the trouble.. Send us a return of wine in a terminal ( All the useful errors )

EDIT/
Well, this new version bring me an other problem: Each 5~10 min, the game shuts down with error "err:seh:setup_exception_record nested exception on signal stack in thread" (Following by few hexa numbers) Is someone in the same case ?
Refon_S

Baspar wrote:

OSU's mouse sensitivity must be at 1x and the acc must be off too.

For the settings, I used xset m 7/4 .

Do you set it like that ?

If it's not the trouble.. Send us a return of wine in a terminal ( All the useful errors )

EDIT/
Well, this new version bring me an other problem: Each 5~10 min, the game shuts down with error "err:seh:setup_exception_record nested exception on signal stack in thread" (Following by few hexa numbers) Is someone in the same case ?
Well, osu's mouse settings are set to defaults (1x, mouse prescision off),
xset m 3/2 1 (1 means acc is default - off
But mouse is still jumping after spinner, sometimes for some pixels, sometimes to the other side of screen. Even when xset m 1 1.

About a new problem: sorry, never had it, so I couldn't help you.
Baspar
And with another mouse ? It can be caused by your mouse...
Some mouse don't support too much acceleration, and they do a odd thing during a second.
Refon_S

Baspar wrote:

And with another mouse ? It can be caused by your mouse...
Some mouse don't support too much acceleration, and they do a odd thing during a second.
No, tested 3 mice (Razer Krait, Logitech Pilot and Genius NetScroll+ Mini), all of them jumping. It's really a software problem... Maybe something is wrong in Linux kernel (I have custom bulit 2.6.38.6) or Wine (built from sources of 1.3.20, but I changed nothing). I'll try testing on oringinal Ubuntu kernel and Wine from their repos...

Gah, I don't know what to do... Linux kernel is latest from Ubuntu repo (2.6.38-9-generic), also is WIne. But this bug is still there! D:
Baspar
I'm on the last Wine, like you ( 1.3.20-2 or -3, I don't remember..)
But my kernel isn't the same: i'm on 2.6.32-lts.
Do a backup of your kernel and compile it again ( the 2.6.38) and if it doesn't work, try with a more regular kernel, the 2.6.32
Refon_S
Downgraded wine to 1.3.15 again... I should've done it earlier. No jumping mouse here.
Baspar
Lastest wine (1.3.20) seems to be buggy... I've got FC of the game, you've got cursor jumps.... I wish those bugs will be repared in the future....

I'll do like you, I'll compile 1.3.15 :S
eldavid39
how can I play online? I'm using ubuntu 11.04 and wine 1.3.20, I can use all the funtions but only offline.
when I put my ID and pass osu just do nothing.
Any ideas?
Baspar
First, check if you've installed all the component to play OSU! ( List on the first page )

SEcondly, Wine 1.3.20 seems to cause troubles. First, try OSU! with wine 1.3.15 ( That you can found the sources here in order to compile them if you don't find the DEB file )

If the problem presists, send us a return of a terminal will you are trying to access to the online mode.
Wassaaaa
here I leave my guide to Ubuntu 11.04, Osu! run to perfection with little bugs but more than playable

Made for those who do not want to deal with the terminal and commands :o

1) Open ubuntu software center > type "wine" and install "Wine Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer" (81mb)

2)Go to the ubuntu logo in the top left of the screen and type "wine" then enter "Winetricks"

3) Select "Select the default wineprefix" then choose "Install a windows DLL or component"

4) You need to install the following:
d3dx10
dedx11_42
dedx9
dedx9_26
dedx9_28
dedx9_31
dedx9_35
dedx9_36
dedx9_42
dirac
directx9
dotnet20 (Important! don't install NET 3.0 or 3.5, your going to have problems)
gdiplus
msxml6
gecko
vcrun2005
msvcr80
atmlib

5) Go to the ubuntu logo in the top left of the screen and type "wine" then enter "Configure Wine" (I don't know how it is written in English but only comes into the wine glass)

this will create a configuration file, now we go to the tab "Audio" in the Hardware Acceleration option switch "Complete" to "Emulation" then close

6) Now download Osu! but do not open, go to the installation file, right click and select Properties. Go to the Permissions tab and check the option "Allow executing file as program", Close.

7) The first time you install a program you have to give right-click and choose open with wine windows program loader:

Then installed without problems and they create a shortcut, now we're ready to play! (run 1000% better in Fullscreen mode)
I'll skip a NET error, but only give him to continue

To go to the folder of Osu! should go to your user folder "User" then choose from the options panel "View> "Show Hidden Files"

we go to the folder ".wine> drive_c> programs files> Osu!"
Baspar
When I have installed OSu ( few month ago) I have only needed directx9 and dotnet20 on winetricks...

But your problem ( More precisely the problem with skins ) are strange.. I have never got this type of trouble...
Refon_S
Don't really know about DirectX and turning hardware sound acc to "emulation", is it really needed? Osu! works wonderful on my PC without DX and sound acc is set to "full". Only a .NET Framework 2.0 is installed.
Baspar
Both are not really needed. I've just remove all d3dxx.dll files, and the game starts again. So directx isn't obligatory.
It's the same for audio, both option works.

However, it can depends of your OS, GNU/Linux is very sensitive :P
Wassaaaa
You're right, but I've added the directX files to play other games (like need for speed, MMORPG's and others) only with Osu! I have small bugs, others go without bugs
SatoXYN
Hello!
I've bought brand new ATI Radeon HD 5870 and osu! runs preety slow. I had ~500-600 fps on my old GeForce 9600GT Green and only 300-400 fps and some lags on new videocard. Enjoy your ati?
Refon_S
Wine 1.3.21 has been released... So I downloaded source and tried compiling it. After some "segfault" errors I understood that extreme overclocking (Processor: 2660 -> 3900 MHz, RAM(DDR2): 333 MHz 6-6-6-18 -> 300 MHz 4-4-4-12) makes my machine VERY unstable. And something happened to custom kernel too... now there is Ubuntu's default 2.6.38-9-generic kernel and my machine has default settings.

Well, after all, I compiled new version, and, what my test showed: first of all, there is no jumping cursor after spinners now! ;) Bug with video mem lack crashes hasn't returned, and that's awesome too. Baspar, could you please check new Wine on your machine, maybe bugs and errors you were talking about in .16-.20 were fixed.
Wassaaaa
lol, I installed Photoshop CS5 with a DLL and other windows components who asked and now Osu! works perfectly, no bugs, just like in windows, I can change the skins and find friends

I downloaded the following:
msxml6
gdiplus
gecko
vcrun2005
msvcr80
atmlib

now if I'm completely satisfied with ubuntu!
Refon_S

Wassaaaa wrote:

now if I'm completely satisfied with ubuntu!
One more happy linux-user-osu-player :D
Baspar

Refon_S wrote:

Wine 1.3.21 has been released... So I downloaded source and tried compiling it. After some "segfault" errors I understood that extreme overclocking (Processor: 2660 -> 3900 MHz, RAM(DDR2): 333 MHz 6-6-6-18 -> 300 MHz 4-4-4-12) makes my machine VERY unstable. And something happened to custom kernel too... now there is Ubuntu's default 2.6.38-9-generic kernel and my machine has default settings.

Well, after all, I compiled new version, and, what my test showed: first of all, there is no jumping cursor after spinners now! ;) Bug with video mem lack crashes hasn't returned, and that's awesome too. Baspar, could you please check new Wine on your machine, maybe bugs and errors you were talking about in .16-.20 were fixed.
I was already on 1.3.21 when I've the problem :S

But I know what I am supposed to do to avoid this problem: I have to don't skip the opening/ending break :P

Like I say, Linux is very sensitive ><

And SatoXYN, ATi's linux drivers are less led than the nvidia one... Prehaps because of that :S

Wassaaaa: I think it's because of gdiplu. On some tutorials, they quot this package in order to play OSU

The most important/buggy element required by OSU is .NET :P
SatoXYN
ATI opensource driver with mesa (xf86-video-ati) makes my 5870 garbage.
ATI catalyst blob is preety laggy. I don't know how to play osu with it. I have ~45gb of osu maps and when i choose map it runs 20 fps only, while on 9600gt was 60-70 fps. And there are some in-game lags which drives me crazy too.

I have artifacts both in osu and in OS/browser!
Trying to flash the bios
Baspar
Mmh.. I can't help you, I have never got an ATi graphic card :S
show more