forum

Solution: Running osu! In Ubuntu or Xubuntu

posted
Total Posts
show more
boat
Try manually setting the resolution and enabling fullscreen through the osu!$user.cfg.

As for the glitching, try enabling StrictDrawOrdering. If you're using the supported POL script (you probably aren't because I set the wine version to 1.7.3) then the performance issue is most likely due to your hardware/drivers.
EineKrone
Somehow, the download of Wine always bugs....
The download for Wine 1.7.3 starts, shows size and time, but it bugs after a time, like the connection was interrupted...

Will try downloading from another connection, or else see if I can install a Wine version on PoL mannually.

But what you mean by "supported POL script" ?
And I'm on a i3 laptop, not sure if there are Linux drivers for it...(or for wine implementation of Directx. I'm trying to understand the inner workings of this, but things are on superior level to me right now)

There is a StrictDrawOrdering option, putting it on 'enabled' from 'default'.
Aaaand after 2min of testing it seems to be better. Will test more, and search for documentation on PoL options, see how good I can make it work. 8-)
boat
EineKrone

boat wrote:

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-1856-osu.html
Oh that. I read about it, I mustn't have seen osu on the installation, so I assumed it didn't had a script... :? :oops:

It's on the testing tab *facepalms*

edit:
All good, but seeing how some people are talking about pulseaudio giving high latency(some pages ago here), and that I installed it 2 days ago so I can connect my laptop to the TV...(no audio otherwise)
I think I found the culprit :V

It seems to be ok now(latency is apparently normal), but I will mess a bit with the drivers. Both to accurately know if my latency is still 'high', and to see if I can make this work without pulseaudio, since it does give me an annoying latency on hdmi sometimes.
So if I can fix both I will be quite happy :D

And thanks for the help :)
Score_Under
Update on my current situation: I can run Osu by giving it its own wineprefix and using 32-bit wine. I used winetricks to install xna and that seemed to be all it needed. There are a lot of texture bugs and it is quite slow, so I'm using my laptop to play osu for now. (Aside - My desktop does have Windows on it but since I added a SSD windows refuses to boot. Moral of the story is make sure you have your Windows install disc to hand before you add new drives)

I've heard of a patch for wine that puts directx commands on another thread, has anyone seen that or had success with it?
Espionage724

Score_Under wrote:

Update on my current situation: I can run Osu by giving it its own wineprefix and using 32-bit wine. I used winetricks to install xna and that seemed to be all it needed. There are a lot of texture bugs and it is quite slow, so I'm using my laptop to play osu for now. (Aside - My desktop does have Windows on it but since I added a SSD windows refuses to boot. Moral of the story is make sure you have your Windows install disc to hand before you add new drives)

I've heard of a patch for wine that puts directx commands on another thread, has anyone seen that or had success with it?
While XNA works, the last I checked, the only thing needed to get osu! up and running was dotnet20sp1 (or dotnet20sp2; pretty sure the version doesn't matter, but sp1 is obviously lighter).

As for texture bugs, what's your GPU? If it's anything AMD/ATI, then that's to be expected, but it can be fixed by either enabling StrictDrawingOrder (will decrease framerate), or using a CSMT-patched version of Wine.

As for the speed, one thing to make sure of is that you have proper graphics drivers. If using open-source drivers, it may also help to have the latest graphics stack/drivers available too (like using oibaf's PPA on Ubuntu + latest mainline kernel). There's also various driver-specific tweaks you could do to (with open-source drivers, disabling SwapBuffersWait allows FPS to go past refresh rate, using vblank_mode=0 disables any forced vsync; FastTLS=1 on fglrx could improve performance at the cost of instability).

As for the CSMT-patched version of Wine, osu! works great with it. CSMT-patched Wine even helped stop the instability of osu! with fglrx for me.
jadaoag
I did all the instructions, and osu ran without problems. Everything is okay except for the spinners. It seems that the movement is not smooth. When I do fast circular movements, the trails of light left when you move the mouse doesn't produce anything close to a circle. Per revolution, it looks like it made a 4-5 sided polygon. I booted my machine into Windows, and I could play normally, and the spinners moved smoothly. When I do some circular movements, the trails of light is still a polygon, but it has more sides and is closer to a circle. I tried it with wine versions 1.6.2 and 1.7.20, but there was no difference.

My laptop is an HP Compaq 6510b with Intel Core Duo @ 2.0GHz, 3GB of RAM, 4GB of free space, and an Intel Graphics Chip. The tablet I use is Intuos CTH-680. My OS is Xubuntu 14.04

I didn't test it with a mouse since I haven't touched one for a year.

My tablet is working fine, and I can draw some circles and curves.
Espionage724

jadaoag wrote:

I did all the instructions, and osu ran without problems. Everything is okay except for the spinners. It seems that the movement is not smooth. When I do fast circular movements, the trails of light left when you move the mouse doesn't produce anything close to a circle. Per revolution, it looks like it made a 4-5 sided polygon.
Sounds like you have improper mouse acceleration being applied. Try using xinput to disable acceleration, and make sure Raw Input in osu!'s options isn't enabled.
nightbane112
I'm using bumblebee on my laptop and can run osu perfectly fine using "optirun -b primus" command. I've installed it using the PlayOnLInux script in PlayOnLinux software installation menu. Unfortunately, since i'm using the primus backend, my fps are limited to only 60 fps. Running vblank_mode=0 seems to fix it but I have to always launch it through the terminal. Can anyone tell me how launch osu through a shortcut using "vblank_mode=0 optirun -b primus" ? :(
jadaoag

Espionage724 wrote:

Sounds like you have improper mouse acceleration being applied. Try using xinput to disable acceleration, and make sure Raw Input in osu!'s options isn't enabled.
I checked and saw that Raw Input was disabled, and I tried setting the following wacom devices'
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Pen stylus id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Finger touch id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Pen eraser id=14 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Finger pad id=15 [slave pointer (2)]

Device Accel Velocity Scaling to 1, and Device Accel Profile to -1. I really didn't see any significant improvement with the cursor movement, but there may be a slight improvement because my arm is needs to go faster to get at least a 50 on a spinner. The cursor trails is still the same, a 4-5 sided polygon.
kilenc
i tried run the osume.exe but i got these:

Unhandled Exception:
System.InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in #2Ib.#3Ib:#Hwb (string[]): IL_0165: stloc.3

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in #2Ib.#3Ib:#Hwb (string[]): IL_0165: stloc.3
Espionage724

jadaoag wrote:

Espionage724 wrote:

I checked and saw that Raw Input was disabled, and I tried setting the following wacom devices'
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Pen stylus id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Finger touch id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Pen eraser id=14 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Finger pad id=15 [slave pointer (2)]

Device Accel Velocity Scaling to 1, and Device Accel Profile to -1. I really didn't see any significant improvement with the cursor movement, but there may be a slight improvement because my arm is needs to go faster to get at least a 50 on a spinner. The cursor trails is still the same, a 4-5 sided polygon.
Hmm, not really too sure :/ I don't believe I've seen weird cursor behavior under Linux, but I'll be sure to check for it.

kilenc wrote:

i tried run the osume.exe but i got these:

Unhandled Exception:
System.InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in #2Ib.#3Ib:#Hwb (string[]): IL_0165: stloc.3

[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in #2Ib.#3Ib:#Hwb (string[]): IL_0165: stloc.3
You need dotnet20sp1 (or dotnet20sp2). Do winetricks dotnet20sp1 in the same prefix osu! is in.
jadaoag

Espionage724 wrote:

Hmm, not really too sure :/ I don't believe I've seen weird cursor behavior under Linux, but I'll be sure to check for it.
The cursor is fine everywhere except when I'm playing osu. Maybe it's because of my laptop, maybe the cursor's polling rate slows down in wine. I don't know how to check this since I can't get my copy of mspaint to run even with proper dlls copied; I also don't know or have any other programs to test this. Additionaly, osu is the only program I run in wine.
-Sandy Corzeta-
Ahh... been a while hiatus from Linux testing

Allright, i've been reinstalling and repartitioning my system few days ago.
And right now i'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Japanese Remix i386 build,
Proprietary Driver installed nvidia-337 (from xorg-edgers PPA) for NVIDIA GeForce 210.
With Installed wine version 1.7.21,
winetricks script triggered (dotnet40, allfonts, gdiplus).

Pros i got now :

Everything running just fine and smooth, no audio-sync problem (even using Pulseaudio), better performance on native desktop environment instead of virtual desktop.

Cons i got now :

Half frame rated gameplay even w/out vsync. (since in Windows i usually get around 200+fps gameplay without any tearing problem, in Linux i got a half of it).

I wanna post a video about how do i did it with SimpleScreenRecorded... but i got no time for uploading since the recorded file is too big.

oh yeah.. and one big solution for anyone out there having an audio-sync problem :

DO NOT INSTALL ANY UNNECESSARY DIRECTX DLL SUITE FROM WINETRICKS

i used to do that in elementaryOS it was, and when in Ubuntu i try to debug that problem with reinstalling Wine system (.wine folder) and winetricks it often...

then i found that DirectX stuff which is unnecessary usually can be a problem. so.... take a case about this...
power007
yes, I have 3000 fps on windows and 1000 on linux, linux sucks right + some stupid audio delay
Rirakusu

-Sandy Corzeta- wrote:

Ahh... been a while hiatus from Linux testing

Allright, i've been reinstalling and repartitioning my system few days ago.
And right now i'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Japanese Remix i386 build,
Proprietary Driver installed nvidia-337 (from xorg-edgers PPA) for NVIDIA GeForce 210.
With Installed wine version 1.7.21,
winetricks script triggered (dotnet40, allfonts, gdiplus).

Pros i got now :

Everything running just fine and smooth, no audio-sync problem (even using Pulseaudio), better performance on native desktop environment instead of virtual desktop.

Cons i got now :

Half frame rated gameplay even w/out vsync. (since in Windows i usually get around 200+fps gameplay without any tearing problem, in Linux i got a half of it).

I wanna post a video about how do i did it with SimpleScreenRecorded... but i got no time for uploading since the recorded file is too big.

oh yeah.. and one big solution for anyone out there having an audio-sync problem :

DO NOT INSTALL ANY UNNECESSARY DIRECTX DLL SUITE FROM WINETRICKS

i used to do that in elementaryOS it was, and when in Ubuntu i try to debug that problem with reinstalling Wine system (.wine folder) and winetricks it often...

then i found that DirectX stuff which is unnecessary usually can be a problem. so.... take a case about this...
Hi :D actually how you managed to run osume.exe with dotnet40? I tried but all I get is this.
jinhang@jinhang-Aspire-4310:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/osu!$ wine osume.exe 
err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe" failed, status c0000135
err:service:service_send_start_message service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 1053
err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\osu!\\osume.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\osu!\\osume.exe" failed, status c0000135

Any ideas? I need the beatmap editor in my Linux laptop :/
-Sandy Corzeta-
Hi :D actually how you managed to run osume.exe with dotnet40? I tried but all I get is this.
jinhang@jinhang-Aspire-4310:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/osu!$ wine osume.exe 
err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe" failed, status c0000135
err:service:service_send_start_message service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 1053
err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\osu!\\osume.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\osu!\\osume.exe" failed, status c0000135

Sorry, a little bit mistake on last post, i did it with dotnet35 as well with dotnet40 included, so it would be like :
winetricks dotnet35 dotnet40

the dotnet35 will do the trick to install all dotnet20 and dotnet30 packages including the service pack for it, i didn't use dotnet35sp1 because its unnecessary. And dotnet40 is a supplemental, because lately osu! says that they are moving into .NET 4.0 version, so i also install that.

if you got that mscoree.dll error on Linux, try to purge your wineprefix again by deleting the wineprefix folder for your osu (my default usually : ~/.wine) and reconfigure it back with 32-bit wineprefix of course... and do a winetricks dotnet35 and dotnet40 as like i said above.
SatoXYN
Eeh? What the hell? You guys still trying to get rid of latency issues!? I've wrote everything about it years ago
p/1400208
With pulseaudio, you only need to configure directsound buffers. Everything works fine without any lags.
Take a look at osulauncher script and directsound-latency.reg in my AUR Archlinux package
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/osu/

And make sure to suspend compositor! For KWin, press ALT+CTRL+F12

For more performance you can install wine with d3dstream patches, and for even more performance install wine with gallium nine (it will pass direct 3d calls directly to your video card instead of converting it to opengl calls)
Rirakusu

-Sandy Corzeta- wrote:

Sorry, a little bit mistake on last post, i did it with dotnet35 as well with dotnet40 included, so it would be like :

the dotnet35 will do the trick to install all dotnet20 and dotnet30 packages including the service pack for it, i didn't use dotnet35sp1 because its unnecessary. And dotnet40 is a supplemental, because lately osu! says that they are moving into .NET 4.0 version, so i also install that.

if you got that mscoree.dll error on Linux, try to purge your wineprefix again by deleting the wineprefix folder for your osu (my default usually : ~/.wine) and reconfigure it back with 32-bit wineprefix of course... and do a winetricks dotnet35 and dotnet40 as like i said above.
Thanks! I just reseted my Wine prefix and recreated one (I'm on a 32 bit computer so no problems). Then winetricks dotnet35 dotnet40, and ran the updater.

Although it runs really slow (for the actual reason please see my computer specs below), it allows me to use the editor and that's enough! Thanks again :D

Extra - my laptop specs
Really low specs and hence it runs really slow lol. 30fps stable -roar- I had this laptop 8 years ago.

Intel Celeron M Processor 520 (1.6 Ghz single core)
Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
512MB DDR2 RAM (and I'm still wondering how Wine managed to survive through this)
80GB HDD
Lubuntu 14.04
And the lowest specs you can imagine lol.
Rirakusu
Ouch. Actually the editor isn't working. But play mode is. I can catch fruits quite well on it, but the editor just refuses to start :( tap on edit and gave a black screen.
sarnex

jinhang_ang wrote:

Ouch. Actually the editor isn't working. But play mode is. I can catch fruits quite well on it, but the editor just refuses to start :( tap on edit and gave a black screen.
If you disable fullscreen, the editor \should\ work.
Espionage724

-Sandy Corzeta- wrote:

I'm curious if all those dotnet packages are even needed. Last I checked, dotnet20 was only needed as a bare minimum to start and play osu!; pretty sure nothing is gained by having more dotnet packages installed.

osu!'s intaller itself required dotnet40 however (last I checked anyway; and even then it didn't work iirc); but the way I recommend installing osu! involves just allowing osume.exe to download all the required files.

Generally speaking, the less stuff you have installed in the prefix, the less problems you could run into later.

But in any case, it's been a while since I messed with osu! in Wine; i'll probably verify this at some point later on.

SatoXYN wrote:

...and for even more performance install wine with gallium nine (it will pass direct 3d calls directly to your video card instead of converting it to opengl calls)
You'll need both patched Mesa (which means it'll only work with the open-source graphics drivers) and Wine for gallium nine. oibaf's PPA provides Mesa patched with gallium nine currently. Wine however will need manually patched (until someone packages it conveniently and/or makes a PPA for it).
Rirakusu

sarnex wrote:

jinhang_ang wrote:

If you disable fullscreen, the editor \should\ work.
Tried but it is still not working. And about the extra dotnet packages, installing only dotnet20 will cause osu! not to start. It will give you that "Pippi!! Get that cookie out of your mouth, it might be dirty..." window. :/
sarnex
If you are using OPEN SOURCE DRIVERS, an Ubuntu-based distro, and need better performance, try out gallium nine. I went from 150FPS while playing to over 800 with gallium nine. This doesn't matter for me, but if someone only gets 30FPS now it will help.

To use gallium nine:
Install the mesa OIBAF PPA https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/u ... cs-drivers
Install my wine PPA https://launchpad.net/~commendsarnex/+a ... ubuntu/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get install wine1.7

Maybe sure the wine version is 1.7.24, and then edit the registry value like so : HKCU->Software->Wine->Direct3D and create DWORD named UseNative. Set value to 1 for enable, 0 to disable.
rodrigez_BCL_
I want to run Osu on Linux native :'(
Espionage724

sarnex wrote:

If you are using OPEN SOURCE DRIVERS, an Ubuntu-based distro, and need better performance, try out gallium nine. I went from 150FPS while playing to over 800 with gallium nine. This doesn't matter for me, but if someone only gets 30FPS now it will help.

To use gallium nine:
Install the mesa OIBAF PPA https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/u ... cs-drivers
Install my wine PPA https://launchpad.net/~commendsarnex/+a ... ubuntu/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get install wine1.7

Maybe sure the wine version is 1.7.24, and then edit the registry value like so : HKCU->Software->Wine->Direct3D and create DWORD named UseNative. Set value to 1 for enable, 0 to disable.
Seems oibaf removed gallium-nine support currently since it was causing issues with Nouveau.
Espionage724
Finally got around to trying out osu! again:

- Works fine with just dotnet20 (I didn't need anything else; no dotnet20sp1, no xna, nothing)
- Works great with gallium-nine on radeon (r600)

I installed it the same way I usually do (make the prefix, install dotnet20, make the osu! folder, download osume.exe and run it, run osu!.exe afterwards).

What I'm curious about though is why people are still installing other dotnet packages? dotnet20sp1 was needed at some point in the past, but looks like it's not needed anymore. dotnet30 and 40 afaik don't offer any benefit at all, aside from adding more complexity to the prefix, increasing installation time, and increasing the chance of something not working.

Here's a bunch of other assorted tips:

- Use vblank_mode=0
- If on dual-graphics hardware, don't be surprised if your iGPU runs better than your dGPU. Use DRI_PRIME=0 or 1 to run things on either the iGPU or dGPU.
- Disable SwapBuffersWait to go past 60 FPS on open-source drivers.
- Using gallium-nine also fixes the texture corruption on Radeon hardware. Previous methods of doing so involved using CSMT or using StrictDrawOrder. With that in mind, the texture corruption still happens when not using any of those (daily 3.17 kernel + oibaf PPA), but seems to be limited to only scoreboard text.

Also, here's a video of gallium-nine and it's effect on the texture corruption and framerate:
Fozzle
Hi, I installed osu! on Ubuntu 14.04 through PlayOnLinux and everything works fine except for the fact that the speed of everything within the game seems ridiculously accelerated. All beatmaps seem to run at 3+ times their proper speed, and the audio sounds really distorted because of this too. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
Espionage724

Fozzle wrote:

Hi, I installed osu! on Ubuntu 14.04 through PlayOnLinux and everything works fine except for the fact that the speed of everything within the game seems ridiculously accelerated. All beatmaps seem to run at 3+ times their proper speed, and the audio sounds really distorted because of this too. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
What distro are you using, and what kernel? And what audio card/chip do you have?
zral
So... as i can't stop playing osu! :idea: I decided to try playing it on Linux...
It seems to work pretty good. The only problem i have is the audio offset. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve this?

I am currently using:
Arch Linux, Kernel 3.16.3-1-ARCH (x86_64)
Xfce4 Desktop
ALSA

my sound card is an asus xonar essence stx which works great btw.
windblade-osu
*FACEDESK* i've tried for a year, and wine does absolutely, positively, NOTHING for me. :x
lemonadejuice_old
@windblade : what's version of ubuntu (or xubuntu) you're using?

I'm using playonlinux, i trust someone make (and post) the video tutorial in here..

It works perfects, all functions works perfectly... maybe it will work with yours too~
metalgear8019
Nooooooo!!! osu! stopped working after update... T_T
---------------------------------------------------------------
Using Xubuntu 14.04 with wine1.7
SirCmpwn

metalgear8019 wrote:

Nooooooo!!! osu! stopped working after update... T_T
---------------------------------------------------------------
Using Xubuntu 14.04 with wine1.7
Arch Linux x64 with wine 1.7.28 here, can confirm same issue.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.VertexBuffer.CopyData[T](Int32 offsetInBytes, T[] data, Int32 startIndex, Int32 elementCount, Int32 vertexStride, UInt32 options, Boolean isSetting)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.RenderBatch(Texture2D texture, SpriteVertex[] vertices, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Flush()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.InternalDraw(Texture2D texture, Vector4& destination, Boolean scaleDestination, Nullable`1& sourceRectangle, Color color, Single rotation, Vector2& origin, SpriteEffects effects, Single depth)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Draw(Texture2D texture, Vector2 position, Nullable`1 sourceRectangle, Color color, Single rotation, Vector2 origin, Vector2 scale, SpriteEffects effects, Single layerDepth)
at #3i.#2i.Draw()
at #3i.#Zo.Draw()
at #zh.#Go.Draw()
at #rb.#xb.Draw()
at #Og.#Qg.Draw()
at #rb.#xb.#Hs()
at #rb.#xb.#Ss(Object , EventArgs )
at #rb.#Bb.#dt()
at #rb.#Sb.#tv(Object , EventArgs )
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at #rb.#Sb.Run()
at #rb.#xb.Run()
at #Og.#Vo.#gvb(String , Boolean , Boolean )
peppy
Change opengl -> directx or vice-versa.
metalgear8019
I got it running again. I just ran osume.exe in another empty folder, re-downloaded everything and migrated all songs, skins, and some .cfg files to the newly created directory.
Ryu Sei
So far I didn't updated Wine.... yah but it still runs seamlessly on my Acer Aspire V5.
But.... it can't convert BMS charts.
IDK, maybe the bug? When I'm going to convert a BMS chart, it goes like crazy and suddenly all CFGs, DBs, and /Data folder is moved to the target place. Then it stucks.
Ma-ToR
Hi!

First of all thanks for the guide, osu! runs really nice (~140fps w/ integrated graphics card), however I do have a minor problem which I can't resolve:
I searched through the thread and also the winetricks packages but can't get japanese characters to render :? ( all I got are boxes http://puu.sh/crku9/137dc5080c.jpg ).

I've tried the takao font pack also with and without fakejapanese package no success.
I've tried placing the fonts which were linked in the thread (and also found link for them in the POL install script ) into drive_c/windows/Fonts: no success
I've tried to copy all the fonts from my fresh win7 installation to the folder mentioned above: still no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: touhou12.8 seems to render japanese fonts (in the same wine prefix): http://puu.sh/crjAB/0224b3fbb1.png
PPS: My current content of the drive_c/windows/Fonts directory is: http://pastebin.com/BC9Z7q6m
Itachi17
Do you have gdi+ installed in that prefix? If you have it, then try to run osu! like this:
WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix LANG="ja_JP.UTF8" wine path/to/osu.exe
If you dont have it fonts should be allright. Hope this help.
Ma-ToR

Itachi17 wrote:

Do you have gdi+ installed in that prefix? If you have it, then try to run osu! like this:
WINEPREFIX=/path/to/prefix LANG="ja_JP.UTF8" wine path/to/osu.exe
If you dont have it fonts should be allright. Hope this help.
Thanks for your time, unfortunately I've broken the graphics drivers (and some other related packages ^^") ;got fed up and went back to windows, but I had gdi+ and will try your solution, if I got in the "switch-to-linux" mood again :).
show more