forum

Solution: Running osu! In Ubuntu or Xubuntu

posted
Total Posts
show more
rocker2344
I have tested on a notebook with ubuntu 11.10 x86
stats on the netbook... game rez set to lowest and low-end pc clicked. avg FPS is 40
http://raido.webhop.org/net_out.txt
SatoXYN
HOLY SHIT everybody who playing on sandy bridge should update to the 3.1 kernel. I had about 180fps on <3.1 kernel and on 3.1 >300fps!
BTW I'll write small tutorial tomorrow how to run osu with maximum speed.
rocker2344

SatoXYN wrote:

HOLY SHIT everybody who playing on sandy bridge should update to the 3.1 kernel. I had about 180fps on <3.1 kernel and on 3.1 >300fps!
BTW I'll write small tutorial tomorrow how to run osu with maximum speed.
I would say to go for it, if you do not mind going out side the stable area. other wise wait untill then, i don't think it is worth risking a system crash for extra FPS when you are already at 180fps.
If you know what your doing, go for it. if you don't, THEN WAIT.
Just because it worked for 1 does not mean it will work for the rest. i will be test osu on stable wine (wine 1.2) tomorrow between my 2 classes.
Wassaaaa
I can not run Osu! on my netbook! someone can make a noob guide step by step for me please?
SatoXYN
rocker2344, kernel 3.1 is a current stable kernel. Why shouldn't I use it?

Well, a tutorial here.
I'm using ArchLinux with latest kernel(3.1) and latest wine(1.3.32) with a sandy brigde intel HD3000 gpu on Lenovo Thinkpad x220 laptop.
1) Copy installed osu folder to your home directory or any suitable path.
2) Run winetricks dotnet20
3) Run winetricks gdiplus ddr=opengl dsoundhw=Full fontsmooth=rgb glsl=disabled multisampling=disabled rtlm=disabled strictdrawordering=disabled
4) Always run osu in a wine's desktop window. It would add some FPS because without desktop window wine probes video ports every VBLANK. I have 160 FPS without desktop window and 250 with desktop window.
vblank_mode=0 WINEDEBUG=-all WINEARCH=win32 wine explorer.exe /desktop=osu,1366x768 osu\!.exe
where 1366x768 your resolution.

Try not to use pulseaudio. If you don't really need it, just remove it, if you cannot remove it use pasuspender

Run osu and execute
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
If you buffers are high(above 8192 I think) then you can make them lower to make audio latency lower.

Create /etc/asound.conf with this:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,0"
period_time 0
period_size 512
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 2048
}
}
Change period_size and buffer_size to bigger values if you have no sound at all or shuttering.

Disable composite while playing! this is one of the most important thing.
Wassaaaa
how do you create he archive asound.conf? is the only step I'm missing
SatoXYN

Wassaaaa wrote:

how do you create he archive asound.conf? is the only step I'm missing
That's not an archive, just a plain text file.
sudo nano /etc/asound.conf
rocker2344
derp duble?
ingnore this. i derping derped and made a second post.
rocker2344

SatoXYN wrote:

rocker2344, kernel 3.1 is a current stable kernel. Why shouldn't I use it?

Well, a tutorial here.
I'm using ArchLinux with latest kernel(3.1) and latest wine(1.3.32) with a sandy brigde intel HD3000 gpu on Lenovo Thinkpad x220 laptop.
1) Copy installed osu folder to your home directory or any suitable path.
2) Run winetricks dotnet20
3) Run winetricks gdiplus ddr=opengl dsoundhw=Full fontsmooth=rgb glsl=disabled multisampling=disabled rtlm=disabled strictdrawordering=disabled
4) Always run osu in a wine's desktop window. It would add some FPS because without desktop window wine probes video ports every VBLANK. I have 160 FPS without desktop window and 250 with desktop window.
vblank_mode=0 WINEDEBUG=-all WINEARCH=win32 wine explorer.exe /desktop=osu,1366x768 osu\!.exe
where 1366x768 your resolution.

Try not to use pulseaudio. If you don't really need it, just remove it, if you cannot remove it use pasuspender

Run osu and execute
If you buffers are high(above 8192 I think) then you can make them lower to make audio latency lower.

Create /etc/asound.conf with this:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
period_time 0
period_size 512
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 2048
}
}
Change period_size and buffer_size to bigger values if you have no sound at all or shuttering.

Disable composite while playing! this is one of the most important thing.
Ty for the tut. I say 3.1 is not stable because it is not currently marked as stable on http://kernel.org It was marked as mainline.
I will take what you have here and make it work for the ubuntu/fredora users. just because every distro is slightly different.
TsuyoiKirkland

rocker2344 wrote:

Ok newbe here, but i got it working. let me work on my grammar and get it set up with a pictured guide (tested on 11.10)
even the install works

TsuyoiKirkland wrote:

Problem: When I'm going to install, everythigs works right except for the sudo apt-get install cabextract. When I type this, it appears on the screen: "usuario is not on the sudoers file. This incident will be reported." What do I do?
It means you do not have super user access. basically it is saying you can not change any system settings. find an account that is admin level and go on with the install. If you do not have admin access talk to the person who helped you with your ubuntu install
Ah... about the last part, the problem is my notebook already came with Linux and Wine installed.
rocker2344

TsuyoiKirkland wrote:

Ah... about the last part, the problem is my notebook already came with Linux and Wine installed.
ok. then your account is a "user" account and not an admin. If this is so you should be able to reboot and choose recovery mode.
in recovery mode there is no mouse. so either save this on paper or open this in another computer

Reboot
select recovery
an option window will show.
select root shell (pick the one with out the net option)
you are now root (if a password has not been set for the root account)
run the command
addgroup user admin
and to be safe because i have not done this in a long time
addgroup user sudo
now type
reboot

you can now run sudo commands
SatoXYN
TsuyoiKirkland what distro do you have?
rocker2344 why you gave some advices if you don't know the distro? And don't look at kernel.org because it isn't fully working now because of hack from september. Current stable is 3.1.
dkun

SatoXYN wrote:

rocker2344 why you gave some advices if you don't know the distro? And don't look at kernel.org because it isn't fully working now because of hack from september. Current stable is 3.1.
because linux commands are generic. and if you're on a linux distro, you should know how to do what he said to begin with.
SatoXYN
dkun, no. For example, in my distro (ArchLinux) you should add user to group "wheel", not "admin" and edit /etc/sudoers to allow run sudo in wheel group.
TsuyoiKirkland

rocker2344 wrote:

TsuyoiKirkland wrote:

ok. then your account is a "user" account and not an admin. If this is so you should be able to reboot and choose recovery mode.
in recovery mode there is no mouse. so either save this on paper or open this in another computer

Reboot
select recovery
an option window will show.
select root shell (pick the one with out the net option)
you are now root (if a password has not been set for the root account)
run the command
addgroup user admin
and to be safe because i have not done this in a long time
addgroup user sudo
now type
reboot

you can now run sudo commands
Well, thanks, but when I enter in recovery, it shows "You will lose all your files", and I don't want to lose it, so.. I think I'll have to play osu! on my computer (with Windows). Anyway, thanks~!
rocker2344

SatoXYN wrote:

Name of thread.

Solution: Running Osu! In Ubuntu or Xubuntu
idr if tsuyo mentioned what distro they have. so default is ubuntu.
if they mentioned that they have a diffrent distro, i would have researched what to do for said distro.

Kernel.org, i thought the hack issue would have been fixed over the last 2 months????
then if 3.1 is the stable, i say go for it if it is known to work well with your distro. Example Sato's arch.
i dont think 3.1 is in the ubuntu repo's yet.
nope it is not. as of 9/11/11 4pm est
SatoXYN
rocker2344, well, why do you think that ubuntu is a default distro? BTW current stable kernel is 3.1.1 and I don't think that ubuntu's repos includes it because it's 'latest' stable.
SonicFan344
[quoteNice work I gotta say. Also what specs have you got ? I wanna try Ubuntu but I love osu!, if its runs laggy then theres no point for me trying. I rather stay on windows and have osu!][/quote]
Try using Double-OS (install both Ubuntu and Windows), Ubuntu is Designed for Double-OS Use or Download VirtualBox and run osu! on it ;)
Espionage724
Just tried getting osu! to work on Ubuntu 11.10 x64:

- Installed Wine 1.3 without problem
- Installed .NET Framework 2.0 via winetricks
- Attempted to install osu! (got errors in Terminal, one being about XNA), osu! installer failed but files stayed
- Renamed osu!.exe to osu.exe (Terminal does not like !)
- Had graphics corruption (related to gdi, I saw a post about this so I'll check it out in a bit), tried switching to OGL
- OGL resulted in 2 errors stating it couldn't change the resolution, followed by a black-corrupted osu! game window with music playing

Just changed wine to use a virtual desktop:

- OGL has corruption on the left side of the screen (takes up about 1/5th of the screen), and seems to be slower then D3D (and also still complains about not being able to change resolution)
- D3D looks fine, but I drop to 30FPS or so at some points
pengkof
i can setup osu! without problem.but it always crash when i run it.
i don't know why.

ps:i am using a netbook,maybe my video card is too bad.its driver is not suitable.and my OS is opensuse.
Refon_S
About installing: .NET and XNA libraries work not good in Wine, so better to just install the game in Windows and/or copy game folder to place from where you want to access it in Linux-based OS.
[Kitty]
Here's a script I wrote to quickly get Osu running on Arch Linux, x86_64, using an NVidia Graphics Card with Official NVidia Drivers (only!).

Using the script:
1. Save the codebox to 'installosu.sh'
2. Run: chmod +x installosu.sh
3. Run: ./installosu.sh
4. Install whatever pops up
5. Run ~/osu and update.

#! /bin/bash
## installosu.sh
### made on and for: arch linux x86_64, on nvidia.
### uses official nvidia drivers

## you can change this if you want to
WINEPREFIX=~/.osu

clear; printf "====\n== Installing required packages\n====\n"
sudo pacman -Syq lib32-nvidia-utils wine winetricks --noconfirm --needed
clear; printf "====\n== Running \`echo lol\` to initialize prefix\n====\n"
WINEPREFIX=${WINEPREFIX} WINEARCH=win32 wine echo lol 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
clear; printf "====\n== Running winetricks\n====\n"
WINEPREFIX=${WINEPREFIX} WINEARCH=win32 winetricks corefonts dotnet20 gdiplus d3dx9_36
clear; printf "====\n== Downloading Osu\n====\n"
mkdir "${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/Program Files/osu"
wget "http://osu.ppy.sh/release/osume.exe" -O "${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/Program Files/osu/osume.exe"
printf "#! /bin/bash\nWINEPREFIX=${WINEPREFIX} WINEARCH=win32 wine \"C:\\Program Files\\osu\\osume.exe\"" > ~/osu
mkdir "${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/Program Files/osu/Songs"
ln -s "${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/Program Files/Songs" "${HOME}/.osusongs"
chmod +x ~/osu
clear; echo "Osu installed for you, hopefully. :) Run it with ~/osu"

Notes:
* After installation,start with '~/osu'
* The easiest way to install songs is to download them and drag the file over the Osu window. Installed songs will be in '~/.osusongs'
* OpenGL works fine for me on the start screen, but won't get past the song list. Keep it on DirectX for your own safety.
* It's not my fault if it breaks your computer. If you have a problem with the script, I'll only help you if your system matches the above specs.
* Sound MAY or MAY NOT work, depending on your configuration. I haven't quite figured out a definite fix for any sound problems, so you may have to mess with your sound configuration to get it working. As a side note, it's not worth trying to play anything if the sound is garbled, as the rest of the game will destabilize if the sound is not OK.
Omnicrox

Xerrao wrote:

Can confirm your script also works with 32 bit installations of Arch Linux! The only issue I had is the osu! window running away from my mouse unless I put it on fullscreen but that seems to be a problem between WINE and awesome (my tiling window manager).

At any rate, good job and thank you!
Espionage724
I have osu! on Ubuntu 11.10 x64 almost fully playable, but I have an issue with sliders:

(all sliders have some weird glitched graphics around them)

Forcing slider rendering or disabling it does nothing also.
chiisai_tanuki
Hi,
I installed osu! really fine on my Ubuntu 11.10. Here is how I did:

- Open a terminal : Alt+Ctrl+T
- Install the latest wine:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa ; sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get install wine1.3
- Install Winetricks:
wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks ; chmod +x winetricks 
- Install dotnet 2 in a clear wineprefix (if you are prompted to install Gecko, accept):
WINEPREFIX=/home/yourname/.wine/osu winetricks dotnet20
- Run osu! installer (we consider it is in your Downloads folder - if your system locale is not English, it may be translated in your language, for exemple "Téléchargements" in French):
cd Downloads; WINEPREFIX=/home/yourname/.wine/osu wine setup
- The installer will probably get an error before the end of the process. So keep an eye on the window, if the process reaches "Saving product information", it should be good! If it does not reach this step, run the setup once again.
- Don't close the terminal. Open (graphically) your personal folder, do CTRL+H, look for the '.wine' folder and open it. Open then 'osu', 'drive_c', 'Program Files', 'osu'. Rename 'osu!.exe to 'osu.exe".
- If you can't find the "osu" folder, run the installer once again, as before.
- On your desktop, you should find an "osu!" icon. Right-click it and select "Properties".The commend line should be:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/yourname/.wine/osu" wine C:\\Program\ Files\\osu\\osu!.exe 
Delete the exclamation mark and accept.
- You should be ready to play!
- I got terrible freezes on screen transitions in OpenGL mode, so I kept D3D.

*1: Also, to avoid sound problems, do the following just before playing:
- open a terminal
- sudo nano .pulse/client.conf
- write 'autospawn=no' <- it will force the sound device to ALSA, which is finest for emulated programs but worse for linux native programs.
- CTRL+O, ENTER, CTRL+X
- killall -9 pulseaudio

*2: After you finished your play, do this in the terminal you opened before playing:
- if you do not want ALSA as default sound device (this will force you to do *1 each time you will play, otherwise you will be able to play directly):
|--> sudo nano .pulse/client.conf
|--> replace 'no' by 'yes '
|--> CTRL+O, ENTER, CTRL+X
- pulseaudio
- DO NOT CLOSE THE TERMINAL
Espionage724
^ do your sliders render properly? I followed a similar process (except killing pulseaudio) and my sliders are the only thing that are messed up...

I have a Radeon HD 5570 and I installed either 11.12 or 12.1 catalyst from AMD's site
SatoXYN
I had radeon for 2 or 3 months, and yes, it is the one to have rendering problems. Not only on osu, but I had that glitches on desktop too. Intel and Nvidia are fine.
[Kitty]
A fix for anyone using pulseaudio:

Before play,
pacmd suspend true
After play,
pacmd suspend false

Any other solution that involves killing pulseaudio may disrupt currently running applications and make them fail to run after it has been killed. This solution simply tells pulseaudio to suspend itself (freeing up ALSA) while all the other pulse-based applications continue to run. When you turn it off, applications don't see that anything happened and continue running as they were before.
rooman
chiisai_tanuki, thank you very much!!! for your HOW TO! its work!
chiisai_tanuki
For me, the sliders are OK. My graphic card is Nvidia GeForce 9500 GS. Every thing work OK, except the sound that sometimes bugs because of Pulseaudio. I will try your tip, Xerrao!
SatoXYN
So guys, how to play with minimal latency
0) Remove pulseaudio. No shit.
1) Dealing with alsa buffers.
If you have a sound card without hardware mixing (all internal cards and cheap external ones), then all the mixing is done by alsa in the plugin called dmix. We should tune this to achieve overall minimal application->sound card latency.
All we need is to set period_size and buffer_size as minimal as it can be for out sound card. To get current numbers run your favourite audio player with your favourite track and run:
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params (card0, pcm0p and sub0 may vary).
[23:16:07] valdikss@valtop ~/games/osu! $ cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params 
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 48000 (48000/1)
period_size: 6000
buffer_size: 18000
6000+18000 = 24000 / 1000 = 24ms! Quite a big number.
Now we should determine minimal period_size. Create /etc/asound.conf:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
period_size 1
buffer_size 1
}
}

Make sure nobody uses audio device (cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params should output "closed"), run your audio player and execute:
again. You should hear cracking sound, so don't worry.
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 48000 (48000/1)
period_size: 32
buffer_size: 64
As for me, minimal period_size is 32. Set this value into your /etc/asound.conf.
Now it's time to deal with buffer_size. 512 is a good value to start with. Set it in your /etc/asound.conf as well. Open your player, listen to some music a bit, you should hear clear sound without cracklings. If you head cracking sound, increase you buffer_size, but remember, it should be multiple of period_size.
My values are 32 and 640.

2) Tuning directsound buffers.
Osu! uses directsound for audio output and it has own buffers too. It can be configured via wines' regedit.
Run regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/DirectSound.
By default buffer size is 65536 and sound queue is 10.
Firstly, decrease sound queue. Create string parameter(REG_SZ) named "SndQueueMax" and set it to 3 for example, then run osu!. It should start and you definitely will hear that latency has become lower. Close the game.
Now, create key named "HelBuflen" — it's directsound buffer size. Set it to 16384 and then run the game. If you hear cracking sound, increase buffer twice.

3) Patching winealsa.drv
For the best latency, you can change buffers in dlls/winealsa.drv/mmdevdrv.c wine source file, then recompile it.
Values to change:
DefaultPeriod, MinimumPeriod, EXTRA_SAFE_RT. I have it 20000/20000/10000. With this values you can set directsound buffer size even lower.
SatoXYN
If you're using skype, you should create new pcm device (add it to /etc/asound.conf) as skype can't work with low latency. Just create another pcm with dmix and values like 1024/4096, name it "hugelatency", run skype and choose "hugelatency" as output device in the settings.
SatoXYN
Does anybody play in opengl mode? I used to play in opengl, but now I got stuck on "checking new songs" every time. That happened all the time on my desktop with nvidia, and started to happen on intel HD3000 on my laptop too.
SatoXYN
I have no idea how I fixed it, but opengl now works again.
sssun1196
ㅋㅋ
Alice S
After installing tablet drivers and reducing the tablet area via "xsetwacom set" my cursor seems to appear in random locations nowhere near the game while playng, it makes the game feel laggy.

edit: Perhaps I should add that this was on Arch Linux.
Yusuzu
I do sh winetricks(..) and terminal report me ''wineserver not found!''. Heeelp? :c\\

Edit: Okay i fix it.
Sonny9393
On Mageia you need to use urpmi instead of apt-get.

But it still need something :cry:

PS:Which libraries does osu! require?
[deleted user]
To see a world in a granda of stand.And a heaven in a wild flower.Hold infinity in the palm your hand and eternity in an hour.Cheap WOW Gold or Buy RS Gold
RBRat3
God there are so many linux threads, So I just picked one to post in.
So Question time has anyone got a stable 60fps under vsync? I'm always hitting 30-55fps... With vsync off its around 530-900fps

GL and Direct render the same performance, just GL chucks out an error on start but works

Specs
Ubuntu/Lucid 32bit
Amd 8core bulldozer
8gb of ram
AMD Radeon HD 6950 with proprietary drivers
wine version 1.5.3

Fun information with OSU!'s benchmark...

X with no Vsync

X with Vsync
Couldnt get GL to work on OSU! beta probably due to the "Cant change resolution" error it chucks out, can be fixed but im lazy to figure it out.

Espionage724 wrote:

I have osu! on Ubuntu 11.10 x64 almost fully playable, but I have an issue with sliders:

(all sliders have some weird glitched graphics around them)

Forcing slider rendering or disabling it does nothing also.
You need to set the offscreen render mode to backbuffer to fix the corruption just note that it does take a very small performance hit on my end, alternative would be to shut it off and use GL (I'll have to look on how to do it in winetricks since I dont use that frontend)

Edit: Ahh found it...
Open and select OSU's prefix (Most likely the default) wack "Ok"

Click Change Settings wack "Ok"

Lastly find "orm=backbuffer" and checkmark it and hit "Ok" Done!!
show more