1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Development
show more
posted
posted

boat wrote:

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/app-1856-osu.html
Oh that. I read about it, I mustn't have seen osu on the installation, so I assumed it didn't had a script... :?:oops:

It's on the testing tab *facepalms*

edit:
All good, but seeing how some people are talking about pulseaudio giving high latency(some pages ago here), and that I installed it 2 days ago so I can connect my laptop to the TV...(no audio otherwise)
I think I found the culprit :V

It seems to be ok now(latency is apparently normal), but I will mess a bit with the drivers. Both to accurately know if my latency is still 'high', and to see if I can make this work without pulseaudio, since it does give me an annoying latency on hdmi sometimes.
So if I can fix both I will be quite happy :D


And thanks for the help :)
posted
Update on my current situation: I can run Osu by giving it its own wineprefix and using 32-bit wine. I used winetricks to install xna and that seemed to be all it needed. There are a lot of texture bugs and it is quite slow, so I'm using my laptop to play osu for now. (Aside - My desktop does have Windows on it but since I added a SSD windows refuses to boot. Moral of the story is make sure you have your Windows install disc to hand before you add new drives)

I've heard of a patch for wine that puts directx commands on another thread, has anyone seen that or had success with it?
posted

Score_Under wrote:

Update on my current situation: I can run Osu by giving it its own wineprefix and using 32-bit wine. I used winetricks to install xna and that seemed to be all it needed. There are a lot of texture bugs and it is quite slow, so I'm using my laptop to play osu for now. (Aside - My desktop does have Windows on it but since I added a SSD windows refuses to boot. Moral of the story is make sure you have your Windows install disc to hand before you add new drives)

I've heard of a patch for wine that puts directx commands on another thread, has anyone seen that or had success with it?
While XNA works, the last I checked, the only thing needed to get osu! up and running was dotnet20sp1 (or dotnet20sp2; pretty sure the version doesn't matter, but sp1 is obviously lighter).

As for texture bugs, what's your GPU? If it's anything AMD/ATI, then that's to be expected, but it can be fixed by either enabling StrictDrawingOrder (will decrease framerate), or using a CSMT-patched version of Wine.

As for the speed, one thing to make sure of is that you have proper graphics drivers. If using open-source drivers, it may also help to have the latest graphics stack/drivers available too (like using oibaf's PPA on Ubuntu + latest mainline kernel). There's also various driver-specific tweaks you could do to (with open-source drivers, disabling SwapBuffersWait allows FPS to go past refresh rate, using vblank_mode=0 disables any forced vsync; FastTLS=1 on fglrx could improve performance at the cost of instability).

As for the CSMT-patched version of Wine, osu! works great with it. CSMT-patched Wine even helped stop the instability of osu! with fglrx for me.
posted
I did all the instructions, and osu ran without problems. Everything is okay except for the spinners. It seems that the movement is not smooth. When I do fast circular movements, the trails of light left when you move the mouse doesn't produce anything close to a circle. Per revolution, it looks like it made a 4-5 sided polygon. I booted my machine into Windows, and I could play normally, and the spinners moved smoothly. When I do some circular movements, the trails of light is still a polygon, but it has more sides and is closer to a circle. I tried it with wine versions 1.6.2 and 1.7.20, but there was no difference.

My laptop is an HP Compaq 6510b with Intel Core Duo @ 2.0GHz, 3GB of RAM, 4GB of free space, and an Intel Graphics Chip. The tablet I use is Intuos CTH-680. My OS is Xubuntu 14.04

I didn't test it with a mouse since I haven't touched one for a year.

My tablet is working fine, and I can draw some circles and curves.
posted

jadaoag wrote:

I did all the instructions, and osu ran without problems. Everything is okay except for the spinners. It seems that the movement is not smooth. When I do fast circular movements, the trails of light left when you move the mouse doesn't produce anything close to a circle. Per revolution, it looks like it made a 4-5 sided polygon.
Sounds like you have improper mouse acceleration being applied. Try using xinput to disable acceleration, and make sure Raw Input in osu!'s options isn't enabled.
posted
I'm using bumblebee on my laptop and can run osu perfectly fine using "optirun -b primus" command. I've installed it using the PlayOnLInux script in PlayOnLinux software installation menu. Unfortunately, since i'm using the primus backend, my fps are limited to only 60 fps. Running vblank_mode=0 seems to fix it but I have to always launch it through the terminal. Can anyone tell me how launch osu through a shortcut using "vblank_mode=0 optirun -b primus" ? :(
posted

Espionage724 wrote:

Sounds like you have improper mouse acceleration being applied. Try using xinput to disable acceleration, and make sure Raw Input in osu!'s options isn't enabled.
I checked and saw that Raw Input was disabled, and I tried setting the following wacom devices'
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Pen stylus id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Finger touch id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Pen eraser id=14 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Finger pad id=15 [slave pointer (2)]

Device Accel Velocity Scaling to 1, and Device Accel Profile to -1. I really didn't see any significant improvement with the cursor movement, but there may be a slight improvement because my arm is needs to go faster to get at least a 50 on a spinner. The cursor trails is still the same, a 4-5 sided polygon.
posted
i tried run the osume.exe but i got these:

Unhandled Exception:
System.InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in #2Ib.#3Ib:#Hwb (string[]): IL_0165: stloc.3


[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in #2Ib.#3Ib:#Hwb (string[]): IL_0165: stloc.3
posted

jadaoag wrote:

Espionage724 wrote:

Sounds like you have improper mouse acceleration being applied. Try using xinput to disable acceleration, and make sure Raw Input in osu!'s options isn't enabled.
I checked and saw that Raw Input was disabled, and I tried setting the following wacom devices'
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Pen stylus id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Finger touch id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Pen eraser id=14 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos PT M Finger pad id=15 [slave pointer (2)]

Device Accel Velocity Scaling to 1, and Device Accel Profile to -1. I really didn't see any significant improvement with the cursor movement, but there may be a slight improvement because my arm is needs to go faster to get at least a 50 on a spinner. The cursor trails is still the same, a 4-5 sided polygon.
Hmm, not really too sure :/ I don't believe I've seen weird cursor behavior under Linux, but I'll be sure to check for it.

kilenc wrote:

i tried run the osume.exe but i got these:

Unhandled Exception:
System.InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in #2Ib.#3Ib:#Hwb (string[]): IL_0165: stloc.3


[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in #2Ib.#3Ib:#Hwb (string[]): IL_0165: stloc.3
You need dotnet20sp1 (or dotnet20sp2). Do winetricks dotnet20sp1 in the same prefix osu! is in.
posted

Espionage724 wrote:

Hmm, not really too sure :/ I don't believe I've seen weird cursor behavior under Linux, but I'll be sure to check for it.
The cursor is fine everywhere except when I'm playing osu. Maybe it's because of my laptop, maybe the cursor's polling rate slows down in wine. I don't know how to check this since I can't get my copy of mspaint to run even with proper dlls copied; I also don't know or have any other programs to test this. Additionaly, osu is the only program I run in wine.
posted
Ahh... been a while hiatus from Linux testing

Allright, i've been reinstalling and repartitioning my system few days ago.
And right now i'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Japanese Remix i386 build,
Proprietary Driver installed nvidia-337 (from xorg-edgers PPA) for NVIDIA GeForce 210.
With Installed wine version 1.7.21,
winetricks script triggered (dotnet40, allfonts, gdiplus).


Pros i got now :

Everything running just fine and smooth, no audio-sync problem (even using Pulseaudio), better performance on native desktop environment instead of virtual desktop.

Cons i got now :

Half frame rated gameplay even w/out vsync. (since in Windows i usually get around 200+fps gameplay without any tearing problem, in Linux i got a half of it).

I wanna post a video about how do i did it with SimpleScreenRecorded... but i got no time for uploading since the recorded file is too big.

oh yeah.. and one big solution for anyone out there having an audio-sync problem :

DO NOT INSTALL ANY UNNECESSARY DIRECTX DLL SUITE FROM WINETRICKS


i used to do that in elementaryOS it was, and when in Ubuntu i try to debug that problem with reinstalling Wine system (.wine folder) and winetricks it often...

then i found that DirectX stuff which is unnecessary usually can be a problem. so.... take a case about this...
posted
yes, I have 3000 fps on windows and 1000 on linux, linux sucks right + some stupid audio delay
posted

-Sandy Corzeta- wrote:

Ahh... been a while hiatus from Linux testing

Allright, i've been reinstalling and repartitioning my system few days ago.
And right now i'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Japanese Remix i386 build,
Proprietary Driver installed nvidia-337 (from xorg-edgers PPA) for NVIDIA GeForce 210.
With Installed wine version 1.7.21,
winetricks script triggered (dotnet40, allfonts, gdiplus).


Pros i got now :

Everything running just fine and smooth, no audio-sync problem (even using Pulseaudio), better performance on native desktop environment instead of virtual desktop.

Cons i got now :

Half frame rated gameplay even w/out vsync. (since in Windows i usually get around 200+fps gameplay without any tearing problem, in Linux i got a half of it).

I wanna post a video about how do i did it with SimpleScreenRecorded... but i got no time for uploading since the recorded file is too big.

oh yeah.. and one big solution for anyone out there having an audio-sync problem :

DO NOT INSTALL ANY UNNECESSARY DIRECTX DLL SUITE FROM WINETRICKS


i used to do that in elementaryOS it was, and when in Ubuntu i try to debug that problem with reinstalling Wine system (.wine folder) and winetricks it often...

then i found that DirectX stuff which is unnecessary usually can be a problem. so.... take a case about this...
Hi :D actually how you managed to run osume.exe with dotnet40? I tried but all I get is this.
jinhang@jinhang-Aspire-4310:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/osu!$ wine osume.exe 
err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe" failed, status c0000135
err:service:service_send_start_message service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 1053
err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\osu!\\osume.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\osu!\\osume.exe" failed, status c0000135
Any ideas? I need the beatmap editor in my Linux laptop :/
posted
Hi :D actually how you managed to run osume.exe with dotnet40? I tried but all I get is this.
jinhang@jinhang-Aspire-4310:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/osu!$ wine osume.exe 
err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe" failed, status c0000135
err:service:service_send_start_message service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 1053
err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\osu!\\osume.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\osu!\\osume.exe" failed, status c0000135
Any ideas? I need the beatmap editor in my Linux laptop :/
Sorry, a little bit mistake on last post, i did it with dotnet35 as well with dotnet40 included, so it would be like :
winetricks dotnet35 dotnet40
the dotnet35 will do the trick to install all dotnet20 and dotnet30 packages including the service pack for it, i didn't use dotnet35sp1 because its unnecessary. And dotnet40 is a supplemental, because lately osu! says that they are moving into .NET 4.0 version, so i also install that.

if you got that mscoree.dll error on Linux, try to purge your wineprefix again by deleting the wineprefix folder for your osu (my default usually : ~/.wine) and reconfigure it back with 32-bit wineprefix of course... and do a winetricks dotnet35 and dotnet40 as like i said above.
posted
Eeh? What the hell? You guys still trying to get rid of latency issues!? I've wrote everything about it years ago
p/1400208
With pulseaudio, you only need to configure directsound buffers. Everything works fine without any lags.
Take a look at osulauncher script and directsound-latency.reg in my AUR Archlinux package
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/osu/

And make sure to suspend compositor! For KWin, press ALT+CTRL+F12

For more performance you can install wine with d3dstream patches, and for even more performance install wine with gallium nine (it will pass direct 3d calls directly to your video card instead of converting it to opengl calls)
posted

-Sandy Corzeta- wrote:

Hi :D actually how you managed to run osume.exe with dotnet40? I tried but all I get is this.
jinhang@jinhang-Aspire-4310:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/osu!$ wine osume.exe 
err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscorsvw.exe" failed, status c0000135
err:service:service_send_start_message service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 1053
err:module:import_dll Library mscoree.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\osu!\\osume.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\osu!\\osume.exe" failed, status c0000135
Any ideas? I need the beatmap editor in my Linux laptop :/
Sorry, a little bit mistake on last post, i did it with dotnet35 as well with dotnet40 included, so it would be like :
winetricks dotnet35 dotnet40
the dotnet35 will do the trick to install all dotnet20 and dotnet30 packages including the service pack for it, i didn't use dotnet35sp1 because its unnecessary. And dotnet40 is a supplemental, because lately osu! says that they are moving into .NET 4.0 version, so i also install that.

if you got that mscoree.dll error on Linux, try to purge your wineprefix again by deleting the wineprefix folder for your osu (my default usually : ~/.wine) and reconfigure it back with 32-bit wineprefix of course... and do a winetricks dotnet35 and dotnet40 as like i said above.
Thanks! I just reseted my Wine prefix and recreated one (I'm on a 32 bit computer so no problems). Then winetricks dotnet35 dotnet40, and ran the updater.

Although it runs really slow (for the actual reason please see my computer specs below), it allows me to use the editor and that's enough! Thanks again :D

Really low specs and hence it runs really slow lol. 30fps stable -roar- I had this laptop 8 years ago.

Intel Celeron M Processor 520 (1.6 Ghz single core)
Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
512MB DDR2 RAM (and I'm still wondering how Wine managed to survive through this)
80GB HDD
Lubuntu 14.04
And the lowest specs you can imagine lol.
posted
Ouch. Actually the editor isn't working. But play mode is. I can catch fruits quite well on it, but the editor just refuses to start :( tap on edit and gave a black screen.
posted

jinhang_ang wrote:

Ouch. Actually the editor isn't working. But play mode is. I can catch fruits quite well on it, but the editor just refuses to start :( tap on edit and gave a black screen.
If you disable fullscreen, the editor \should\ work.
posted

-Sandy Corzeta- wrote:

Sorry, a little bit mistake on last post, i did it with dotnet35 as well with dotnet40 included, so it would be like :
winetricks dotnet35 dotnet40
the dotnet35 will do the trick to install all dotnet20 and dotnet30 packages including the service pack for it, i didn't use dotnet35sp1 because its unnecessary. And dotnet40 is a supplemental, because lately osu! says that they are moving into .NET 4.0 version, so i also install that.

if you got that mscoree.dll error on Linux, try to purge your wineprefix again by deleting the wineprefix folder for your osu (my default usually : ~/.wine) and reconfigure it back with 32-bit wineprefix of course... and do a winetricks dotnet35 and dotnet40 as like i said above.
I'm curious if all those dotnet packages are even needed. Last I checked, dotnet20 was only needed as a bare minimum to start and play osu!; pretty sure nothing is gained by having more dotnet packages installed.

osu!'s intaller itself required dotnet40 however (last I checked anyway; and even then it didn't work iirc); but the way I recommend installing osu! involves just allowing osume.exe to download all the required files.

Generally speaking, the less stuff you have installed in the prefix, the less problems you could run into later.

But in any case, it's been a while since I messed with osu! in Wine; i'll probably verify this at some point later on.

SatoXYN wrote:

...and for even more performance install wine with gallium nine (it will pass direct 3d calls directly to your video card instead of converting it to opengl calls)
You'll need both patched Mesa (which means it'll only work with the open-source graphics drivers) and Wine for gallium nine. oibaf's PPA provides Mesa patched with gallium nine currently. Wine however will need manually patched (until someone packages it conveniently and/or makes a PPA for it).
show more
Please sign in to reply.