forum

Wrist position

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DuckRice_old
When you're playing osu!mania, where are your wrists usually located? Are they planted firmly on your desk, or do they hover?
I slightly hover when playing on an external keyboard, but keep them on a surface when playing on my laptop.
I'm interested in knowing which wrist position osu!mania players prefer, and why they prefer it - Does it give you more control? Better accuracy? More stamina?
I just thought it would make a great discussion topic...
Please don't kill me ;w;
Bobbias
My wrists rest on my laptop, which is the only way Ii play because I don't have a desktop or a separate keyboard.
HanzeR
i play with my wrists resting on my desk most of the time except when playing jacks then i have to lift my whole arm up and vibrate it really fast and most of the time knock my keyboard halfway across the desk when im playing its really annoying ~
Drace
I rather having my hands hover when I can, ie; on a low desk, on my lap or when I play standing at a friends house. But at home my desk is too high to hover so i rest my wrist on the keyboards wrist rest.

I find you have more speed/accuracy/stamina when you hover. Most likely due to how you aren't depending solely on finger muscles.
Doorknob_old
About an inch hover from the desk.

Only because I find it more comfortable and natural in comparison to laying it flat.
Davteezy
My keyboard is usually near the edge of the table, so my palms rest on the edges while letting my wrist hang in the air. Nothing special but a habit.
Chung
I just leave my wrists on the desk because it's comfortable. I think that there isn't much advantage to changing your wrist position... it would feel awkward and unnatural. (jacks *cough cough*)
Hanyuu
Hm i have my arms on my knees and play that way, so im not really touching the table at all lol

Edit: the table the keyboard and computer is, is on the same height where im sitting XD
Platinumsj
I use basic computer etiquette that I learned from keyboarding class.
Wrists always elevated, hands on home row, feet always flat, never look at the keyboard, and always sit up straight.
Chung

Retacu wrote:

Wrists always elevated, hands on home row, feet always flat, never look at the keyboard, and always sit up straight.
Shohei Ohtani

Chung wrote:

Retacu wrote:

According to that picture, laptops are a no no

desktop master race.
Platinumsj

CDFA wrote:

desktop master race.
Laptops are a no no if they're not on a desk.
You musnt slouch, you musnt lay your wrists on the desk nor the keyboard, you must keep your feet flat on the floor, you musnt look down at the keyboard and you must keep any fingers that are at rest on their corresponding home row keys which are...
Left index on the F key. Right index on J key. L middle on THE D!!! key. Right middle on the K. Left ring on the S. Right ring on L. Left pinkie on the A. Right pinkie on the ;(semicolon)
That's what I was taught in keyboarding class.
Doorknob_old
Huh.

I change my position accordingly as to how comfortable it is for me with the exception of wrist angle, arm twist, and elbow distance from the torso. I've played slouching and even have done so standing up with barely much performance hit.

Now I suddenly have this urge to play charts while standing. brb
iantanye

Retacu wrote:

CDFA wrote:

desktop master race.
Laptops are a no no if they're not on a desk.
You musnt slouch, you musnt lay your wrists on the desk nor the keyboard, you must keep your feet flat on the floor, you musnt look down at the keyboard and you must keep any fingers that are at rest on their corresponding home row keys which are...
Left index on the F key. Right index on J key. L middle on THE D!!! key. Right middle on the K. Left ring on the S. Right ring on L. Left pinkie on the A. Right pinkie on the ;(semicolon)
That's what I was taught in keyboarding class.
If I had to do that every time I used my laptop I would just not use it and do something productive with my life. And I would not be a loser. That is how terrible that sounds.
Platinumsj

iantanye wrote:

If I had to do that every time I used my laptop I would just not use it and do something productive with my life. And I would not be a loser. That is how terrible that sounds.

It's free credits... It's also only 5 days a week for 18 weeks.
It's still a very useful class.
Chung
This thread is kind of getting derailed. The majority opinion seems to be to place your wrists as you feel is comfortable.
Topic Starter
DuckRice_old

Chung wrote:

This thread is kind of getting derailed. The majority opinion seems to be to place your wrists as you feel is comfortable.
Obviously, people are going to play in their most comfortable position. What's the point of starting ANY discussion, if all of the replies will be "I do (blank) with whatever is most comfortable for me"?
I created this thread with the intention of discussing different wrist positions among players. Maybe most players prefer one style over the other. Maybe some players have different wrist positions depending on the patterns they're playing. Maybe if someone tried different positions, he/she could list out the pros and cons of each wrist position.

What I didn't make this thread for, though, is so people can shitpost about laptop vs. desktop, optimal computing position, and value of keyboarding lessons.

Please stay on topic.
Entozer
I play with my wrist resting on the desk most of the time.

Though in some situations, I have to lift them up to play better. Say, during a pattern that mainly consists of mashes.
Drace
^ Some weird alien appeared O.o ^

Also, I had to change the way I position my wrists since I started developing RSI in my right hand. Not just cause of rhythm gaming though, mostly cause whenever I'm not rhythm gaming I'm either playing guitar or piano lol...
Doorknob_old
It's only from what I've heard, but for very high level to world ranking players, keeping wrists still with as little movement as possible during play is essential to playing ridiculously tough songs.

Whatever it is, take that with a grain of salt because my skill level is nowhere close to being a high level player.