forum

About Inputs in Storyboards

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
World_X
Hello, World here.

As sorta of a new player, I wanted to see what cool stuff has been released among the osu! community, and I found player0's storyboards, which were incredible, of course, but then I noticed that some (if not all, I haven't checked them all yet) react to the player's input: when I hit a key, the "storyboard" reacts to it, which for me was kinda weird, since I thought that storyboards were static animations that weren't affected by the player's input/reactions, but if I'm seeing it, then it must mean that it actually CAN detect (or react) to inputs. That's, however, my most logical guess. After a quick search in the forums (with keywords such as "storyboard" and "detect input") I haven't found any post that answered my question of how can a storyboard be reactive to the player's input, and what are the limits. My best guess is that it's so ridiculously hard to make or code, that it simply isn't worth a depth discussion. Either that or I'm simply not searching correctly.

So, to calm down my curiosity, I must ask: What makes player0's beatmaps special? Why do they react to input? Is there another user that has also created a "responsive storyboard"? How can I do this myself? Is it worth it?

For some context, I have no storyboarding experience, I've only looked briefly at the osu.moe guide and the description for Storybrew. Maybe I should have gotten a little bit more experience before asking this question, but I just wanted to know if it was realistic for me to spend hours of study, just so I can make fun storyboards in my free time, or it would be too time-consuming that it wouldn't be worth it. Besides, like I said, I'm just curious.

EDIT: Might as well ask, just what are the limits of storyboarding? If they can behave differently depending on input, what else can they do? Can they affect gameplay in any way? Stop the music? Modify Health? etc. I don't remember where but someone said that "storyboards can do pretty much everything, except modify the timing points of already placed hitcircles" or something along those lines (take it with a grain of salt). What did they meant by "pretty much everything"?
Mamat

World_X wrote:

What makes player0's beatmaps special? Why do they react to input?
I've checked player0's inabakumori - Lagtrain, player0 used Trigger command for key press. This is one example of sprite in its .osb file:
Sprite,Overlay,Centre,"sb\bomb.png",0,0
 T,HitSoundNormalWhistle,22875,22975
  F,0,0,,1
This command will show "bomb" sprite (x) if player click key that has normal whistle hitsound between 22.875 second and 22.975. I recommend to check this map for simpler Trigger usage
Toru Minegishi, Asuka Ota, Koji Kondo - Herd Game