forum

Help for Alternating..

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
phoenny
Hey, there.. yea again one of those "help me to get better-threads" ... just asking for advice, i have "learned" alternating somehow.. well its weird i CANT FULL ALTERNATE cuz sometimes my other finger just freezes.. and i cant alternate jumps.

are there any tricks while alternating? like lifting your finger of a button after u pressed it? and so on. i want to play full alternate but i cant get to it.. yea practice.

and the most weird thing is that when i singletapp i do it with the indexfinger all time, but im STILL better with Middlefinger even when i dont train it with middle.

and yea so on. xD

some tips and tricks would be helpful.
cloudofrain
I alternate and it was easy to learn because I just started, but now I can't single tap fast enough or better said if I try my brain is too slow :D. I dont know if it works for you but I started alternating as I could play normal songs and maybe that is a good way to start, to get you in the mindset of using one finger after the other.
koromo
Try single tapping with both fingers equally first, I used to switch my main single tap finger every week before I started alternating (I didn't start doing this for any particular reason but it felt like it was helping me build stamina and speed with both fingers and later on made it easier to keep consistency when alternating) and try to mix in some alternating here and there.

Alternating isn't something most people can fully switch to "just like that". I myself started single tapping and then gradually developed a mixed play style (single tapping with whatever finger and alternating at the same time) and slowly started alternating more and more because it just felt more natural to me the more I did it.

Oh and about jumps, it's normal to find some patterns or rhythms harder to alternate, it all boils down to practice, stuff will get easier to alternate with time, and if not, well, there's nothing wrong with single tapping either so you can always switch play styles as you see fit.
Elit3noob
I alternate naturally in almost all areas where almost all players can actually easily single tap. To get into the habbit of alternating is to just relax-play, and don't try to act like you are beast at single tapping for the most of the song. So my advice is to just relax your fingers.
Koko Ban
alternating also help you get faster reaction time over jumpy sections or small gaps between sliders.
GoldenWolf

Koko Ban wrote:

alternating also help you get faster reaction time over jumpy sections or small gaps between sliders.
wat
Elit3noob

GoldenWolf wrote:

Koko Ban wrote:

wat
works for me all the time :3
koromo

Elit3noob wrote:

Koko Ban wrote:

works for me all the time :3
I don't really understand where you two are coming from. I don't think reaction time has anything to do with whether you alternate or not. I alternate all the time but I can also single tap, everything concerning reaction time and aim feels about the same, only my accuracy drops when single tapping (because I'm not used to it).
Koko Ban
maybe i didn't just worded it properly, but what i meant is when you single tap the time it takes to lift your finger off the key and press it again is too long for very short gaps. alternating fixes that. this is also why alternating on streams is much more efficient and faster than singletapping it.
MostDakka
I alternate since i started playing osu and for me it helped when i started playing older maps[you know ones with small circles,almost no sliders like older touhou maps]. If you can do them then newer maps are a joke.

For finger freezing. Start after breaks and on triples with freezing finger you wont get third press on time in the beginning but if you concentrate you will force yourself and after time it will become natural. I got this too only practice can solve that.

Those who write that alternating is easy. IT isnt. Many faster maps[like 200 bpm+] with lots of triples and streams force you to change your clicking speed all the time when single tapper just adds another finger. Recovery after 2 triples to press 2 slower 1/2 notes and then go to stream is not easy at all.

Its actually easier to change from alternating to single tap than reverse.

@edit : oh god horrible english day. Will fix later.

PS. no alternate doesnt fix gap between presses cause you still need to press at the same time to get perfect as single tapper.
Cygnus
My primary trick in doing alternate in jumps is that you should NEVER let your fingers touch the key unless you have to press them. I keep my fingers in distance with the keys at around 1/2 inch. Also, one reason why I keep distance is so that whenever I hit the keyboard, it will produce a bit of sound making me know if i am following the rhythm or not.