ITT 2: We post shit that is neither funny nor interesting

posted
Total Posts
show more
Aurani

abraker wrote:

Pls rename to ITT 2: We post shit that is either political or trash
lol
I ONLY JUST SAW THAT ZAIN RENAMED TO KOLUCH I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST SOME FUNNY EDGY POLISH DUDE
Razzy

Oh great, another video invaded by the dipshit brigade.
Railey2
The way you both argue against this suggest that you don't understand my reasoning. You could have easily answered all the questions raised in your posts yourselves.

B1rd wrote:

If everyone thought like you, then no one would vote or do anything. We wouldn't have the abolition of slavery or equality before the law because everyone would think "well one person isn't going to have an impact so I won't even try". No one votes because they think that their vote will change the outcome of an election, they vote with the confidence that millions of other people will do the same and that way they will effect change (not that I think voting is a good way to do that, but that's besides the point).
Your vote doesn't change anything and you still can't affect how many people abstain, or who these people would vote for if they didn't abstain.
It's completely irrelevant what's being voted on, for that matter. The fact is: Your vote doesn't change the outcome of the election in a meaningful way, and neither does it change how many people "think like that".
And it will never happen that "everyone thinks like that", which is also independent of how I vote. The non-voters will always be something between 30 and 50%, sometimes a bit lower sometimes a bit higher. But you get the point.

B1rd wrote:

If we look at it in the other way, why don't you litter? You littering isn't going to trash the city. Why do you recycle? You recycling isn't going to have any impact on sustainability. Why don't you print your own fake money? You doing that won't have any noticeable impact on inflation. In the same way that doing bad stuff is still bad even if it's not going to have a large impact by itself, doing good things is still good even if they don't have a big impact by themselves.
I don't litter because I don't like seeing litter on the streets, it's ugly. Also: Unlike voting I'm having an immediate effect on other people because SOMEONE has to pick it up at the end of the day.
I don't really care about recycling because yes you're right: Doesn't really change anything. The only reason I recycle is because not recycling would get me into trouble with the city.

Lol fake money

I still want to live a moral life, so i don't do stuff that I think of as bad (mostly, heh)

Either way: Arguing with "the collective" is pointless because it's another thing that I can't meaningfully affect. If you had understood the argument, you would have understood that too.

If you want to convince me, you either have to argue how the maxim is wrong, or how my vote has a meaningful effect after all. That's the way to go against my argument.

Oh and btw. Voting does matter when it comes to local elections, for example, where only very few people vote. Or elections where you can predict the result to be INCREDIBLY close.

Cheers
Zain Sugieres

lol wrote:

I ONLY JUST SAW THAT ZAIN RENAMED TO KOLUCH I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST SOME FUNNY EDGY POLISH DUDE
Lol
Blitzfrog

lol wrote:

Aurani wrote:

Railey2
On further inspection, it seems that my intuition was way off, and the infinitesimal chance that my vote matters actually amounts to something significant when multiplied with the potential benefit, after taking into account the probability of me voting for the wrong candidate.

http://lesswrong.com/lw/fao/voting_is_l ... ollars_to/
@vipper: This might be interesting to you. If you ever encounter something who argues like me, THIS is the resource to refer them to.

To spell out the equation:

Expected value of your vote =
P(vote being decisive)*(expected benefit of the better candidate over the worse candidate)*(P(of me picking the better candidate) - P(of me picking the worse candidate))

also linked in the article. That was essentially the model I had in my mind, although I didn't bother spelling it out or writing it down explicitly (shame for not even bothering to spell it out in this thread). I believed this to amount to almost nothing, rendering voting a useless action. Turns out it almost certainly doesn't amount to nothing.

Guess I'm a voter now. Although certainly not for any of the reasons that were brought forward by B1rd, of which I am still not sure if he understood the argument at all.
Meah

illya movie looks promising
Hika
^ fuck that's fire
Jordan
this thread is becoming uuhhhh a shitty radical centrist circlejerk so please no more politics here. have a nice day.
_handholding
I normally dislike vocals by FREDERIC seems pretty good
Aurani

Jordan wrote:

this thread is becoming uuhhhh a shitty radical centrist circlejerk so please no more politics here. have a nice day.
Oh no the Spaghetti guy has an opinion!
johnmedina999
And there it is, glorious page 3333.
Railey2

FuZ
Taj
Three is the largest number still written with as many lines as the number represents.
To this day 3 is written as three lines in Roman and Chinese numerals. This was the way the Brahmin Indians wrote it, and the Gupta made the three lines more curved. The Nagari started rotating the lines clockwise and ending each line with a slight downward stroke on the right.
Meah

Railey2 wrote:

Stephen Curry
Mahogany

Jordan wrote:

come join me on the far left fren
Blitzfrog
Aurani
As the initiator of Page 3333, I declare myself the lifetime president of this page.

Here's your oath lads:

I swear: I will be faithful and obedient to the leader of the German Empire and people, Aurani, to observe the law, remove Blitzfrog, all of his subhuman friends and to conscientiously fulfill my official duties, so help me God.
nibs
In the news now: the unix timestamp is greater than 1500000000
Foxtrot

Aurani wrote:

As the initiator of Page 3333, I declare myself the lifetime president of this page.

Here's your oath lads:

I swear: I will be faithful and obedient to the leader of the German Empire and people, Aurani, to observe the law, remove Blitzfrog, all of his subhuman friends and to conscientiously fulfill my official duties, so help me God.
ssshh the pierogi is trying to act important

look back and observe, people. learn.
DaddyCoolVipper

Aurani wrote:

Here's your oath lads:

Faithful and obedient to Merkel, huh
Zain Sugieres
3 is the number of God
Tae

Aurani wrote:

Here's your oath lads:

I pledge allegiance.
Aomi
kai99
sorry im just visiting to celebrate the 3334th page of this thread
hbd
Jordan
do u think that yoshi gets embarrassed when he poos out eggs in front of mario???

sorry if this ofends anyone but i thought it was a funny thing haha
Mahogany
me irl

Razzy
wasn't that originally a Scott Pilgrim comic
Meah
wheat bread sucks

50k too
Mahogany

Raspberriel wrote:

wasn't that originally a Scott Pilgrim comic
So that's why some dude was talking about Scott Pilgrim when I posted it on furry_irl
Zain Sugieres
I hope bronies die
Aurani

Klocuch12 wrote:

I hope bronies die
Mahogany

Klocuch12 wrote:

I hope bronies die
I get this a lot, you should check out my steam profile comments section for more it's like a collection at this point and one I'm particularly proud of.
Foxtrot

Mahogany wrote:

me irl

bread makes you fat
Mahogany
Good I am underweight and don't eat enough
Foxtrot
that was also a scott pilgrim reference
Mahogany
Jordan

Mahogany wrote:

Klocuch12 wrote:

I hope bronies die
I get this a lot, you should check out my steam profile comments section for more it's like a collection at this point and one I'm particularly proud of.

show more