1. osu! forums
  2. Other
  3. Off-Topic
show more
posted

Pochacco wrote:

i like rock but i want to throw my rock to the rock band
Rock and roll, to the world ~
posted
Mods are dicks, because basically they can do whatever they want and have next to zero accountability. This is pretty much a universal principle of human nature, power corrupts. Of course if you bring this up, mods will say, in one way another, "we can regulate ourselves". Of course this is an absurd notion of an excuse that doesn't hold up in reality.

"The man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."

-Murray Rothbard
posted
well, okay.
posted
The quote isn't bad but the context is maybe a bit inappropriate.
I mean you would rather get thrown out of tuuba than out of the osu!forums...
posted
That quote is perfectly appropriate, I don't see much fundamental difference between the organisation of this forum and the organisation of a country.
posted
well i mean we can't expect everything to be acceptable to everyone..

that being said don't expect me to talk politics pls
posted

kai99 wrote:

well i mean we can't expect everything to be acceptable to everyone..
What has that to do with anything?
posted

B1rd wrote:

That quote is perfectly appropriate, I don't see much fundamental difference between the organisation of this forum and the organisation of a country.
There is much more to gain from abusing government power compared to abusing moderation power so the incentive is significantly lower.
posted
Basically kai tries to say that it's not possible to please everybody the way we moderate in osu!. If you find yourself to call us as dicks because you only see one side, then so it is. I can't change your opinion because why should I, as well I don't care for it since it's your opinion and not the one of others or someone else and should be tolerated, even if it's unfair.
posted

Endaris wrote:

There is much more to gain from abusing government power compared to abusing moderation power so the incentive is significantly lower.
And so are the risks. When I talk about "abusing power", it doesn't necessarily have to be a conscious effort to stuff people over, mostly it's just using power inappropriately; people get a rush out of exerting their authority over others, at any level. Whatever scale it's on is irrelevant, what matters that it exist even at this small level, and people are getting stuffed over even at this small level.

The problem with people is that they are apathetic, they don't care for any philosophy and they don't live by any defined values. Philosophy is intrinsic to politics, and politics is intrinsic to life, which is why people who say they are "apolitical" are saying nonsense, all they mean is that they are apathetic. Why should people tolerate on a smaller scale what they don't tolerate on a larger scale? How can you complain about corruption in a political system if it's not even a problem you address at the most trivial level?

"Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much."

-Luke 16:10

Stefan wrote:

Basically kai tries to say that it's not possible to please everybody the way we moderate in osu!. If you find yourself to call us as dicks because you only see one side, then so it is. I can't change your opinion because why should I, as well I don't care for it since it's your opinion and not the one of others or someone else and should be tolerated, even if it's unfair.
Who is talking about "taking sides"? You haven't presented a single issue in which one could take a side on, in fact you and all moderators go out of your way to prevent any accountability for any specific moderator action by censoring any discussion of any such event. I am pointing out the fundamental flaws in this system which solely relies on fairness of those with power, in which it is impossible for users to get any sort of retribution for any injustice. Also I have no idea what you mean with your last sentence.
posted
hey look it's time for another one of my angry tirades, i'm not gonna be calling names out this time though

Mods don't magically become dicks overnight through getting their mod powers. Because the first job of a mod isn't repression.

It's advice.

A mod is the guy you go to when you're brand new and you want advice on getting into the community.
A mod is the guy who will tell you about the customs of the community you're getting into.
A mod will be the one to defend you against others should you be shunned for the wrong reason.
A mod will be an impartial referee between two parties that are clashing.
A mod will be the one who talks to you after you've made a mistake and tell you what you did wrong.
A mod will be the one to give you a second chance if you made a bad impression.

A mod should never have to become a command bot who mutes people by the dozen. That's not moderation. That is repression.


It fucks me off that people blatantly disregard all the efforts honest mods put into the community they're in and get an awful rep just because they silence abusers and are as such seen as power-tripping bastards. Not to say that there aren't, even in this game, some mods set specific phrases to highlight them and hang out in every channel, including those of languages they do not speak, just waiting for a kill to be landed like they're playing a fucking RTS. Bunch of fucking scumbags. These people are not moderators, they're janitors. Killbots. Their job should be the one of a script. They're the ones who give the mods such a bad name and cause the honest ones to stop trying to take their role with passion and start becoming killbots of their own just so they don't have to deal with the consequences, because they have to abide by some bullshit code of conduct that ties their hands behind their back while the average joe can just spitroast them without fear of any meaningful retribution.

It says everything about the community of this game that these people are still around, and are even praised for their "efforts". It sickens me. A strong community has no need for janitors or killbots. People are not animals. For the most part, you can communicate with them instead of ignoring the problem and entering a !kill command. The shit reputation that these asswipes have given to the whole mod group now cause the community to act like shitheads to honest people who are ready to have a discussion with you, and not a fucking one-way schooling where you get silenced if you disagree. You have another human being in front of you so talk to them and try understand why they're acting out of line, and if they're not trolling you, try to get to the bottom of it instead of pressing the button like a fucking monkey.

I lost one of my greatest friends by acting this way, and even though I was lucky to make up with them I will never fucking forgive myself for acting like such garbage.
posted
I would argue that power does corrupt to a degree, and the people you hang around changes your mentality. But it goes without saying that there are good mods and bad ones, but the thing is, if you act as a collective you will be judged as a collective. You mention some good ideals of what a moderator should be like, but they fall short of reality. I know through personal experience that you can be silenced without even knowing what you did wrong, and you have to jump through hoops just to find out. Like, you have to mass mail the mod list and just hope that one of them takes enough interest in your problem. If you have a system with little bottom-up accountability and little recourse for average users, then I don't see how that cannot create an unfair system and moderators with an imperious attitude. And consequently, an "us vs them" mentality.

Like you say, it would be good if there was more communication between the users and mods, though I've found that mods that will actually take the time to have a conversation with you are in the minority. All there needs to be is just a little more communication, transparency and accountability, and things would be much better. Any changes towards these sort of thing are rejected by peppy on grounds that it will "cause drama", well of course drama and friction is an intrinsic facet of human interaction and aren't necessarily bad as they can achieve some purpose. But suppressing drama with a heavy-handed autocratic system isn't a good solution, then everyone will just go to Reddit and have an anti-mod circlejerk there. Anyway, I appreciate your insight.
posted
If you don't like mods then please leave here I would be very happy
posted

Raspberriel wrote:

lol wrote:

you don't make me angry blitzfrog otherwise i'd do something, i just occasionally call you cancer which is pretty light compared to what i did before i was banned:)))))) i'm sure some people here can remember


also ye dragon loli is alright but if you have dragon loli porn that's a solid amber alert
how the hell did you get silenced for almost two days
i chose the wrong person
posted
B1rd you're lord of huge texts
posted
is the fucking server suffering or is it just my bad internet??

edit: better now :)
posted
mada mada mada mada hosshii no
posted
tatoe
posted

kai99 wrote:

is the fucking server suffering or is it just my bad internet??

edit: better now :)
It's server

Freaking lagged 20second per page
posted


Don't get me wrong B1rd, but the way the guy wrote in that thread convienced me that the silences were 100% deserved.
show more
Please sign in to reply.