forum

ITT 2: We post shit that is neither funny nor interesting

posted
Total Posts
show more
EneT
Evasion moves are banned from use in competitive. Smogon anyways but not VGC, I don't like VGC.

You take random damage rolls into consideration only when it matters. You should know what moves are guaranteed OHKOS, 2HKOS or 3HKOS so taking the risk of a low roll or a high roll is a last option thing.

You typically run 100 accuracy moves most of the time as they can't miss; the moves that have less acc have less acc for a reason, they're really strong moves or they have really good effects (a risk needs to be added onto them to justify such a strong move) such as Will-o-wisp which burns your enemy, a guaranteed burn is strong because it permanently halves the ATK of the burned Pokemon so a strong move like this needs to have decreased acc.

Status effects aren't completely random, like Sleep for example lasts for 1-3 turns, you have a chance to wake up each turn but each turn you don't wake up it adds 1 to a counter and once you reach 3 on that counter it's a guaranteed wake. That counter remains even if you switch out.

If you're complaining about the RNG of competitive Pokemon you just haven't played it or you're bad and don't want to take the time to learn to get good.
Mahogany

EneT wrote:

You typically run 100 accuracy moves most of the time as they can't miss
and what when you match against someone who runs low accuracy moves and they get lucky and don't miss

you get fucked because they're lucky

EneT wrote:

Status effects aren't completely random, like Sleep for example lasts for 1-3 turns
but thats still random

you can get lucky and wake up after 1 turn fucking the opponent over or you can not wake up for 3 and then you lose
all based on luck

EneT wrote:

If you're complaining about the RNG of competitive Pokemon you just haven't played it or you're bad and don't want to take the time to learn to get good.
or maybe its because rng is a bad mechanic for 'competitive' videogames :/
EneT

Mahogany wrote:

EneT wrote:

You typically run 100 accuracy moves most of the time as they can't miss
and what when you match against someone who runs low accuracy moves and they get lucky and don't miss

you get fucked because they're lucky
That rarely actually happens, even the seemingly high chance of a 80% acc move like Stone Edge hitting is actually really low and no one typically likes having to fall onto it and even if it does hit it's only a 100 base atk, the more you use low acc moves, the less chance it has to hit successively and every time you miss you're throwing the game. Games aren't decided by strong moves, if it was then everyone would just put the strongest moves on each Pokemon which isn't the case, it's decided by the one who has more knowledge/experience in the game and who can predict the other better.

Mahogany wrote:

EneT wrote:

Status effects aren't completely random, like Sleep for example lasts for 1-3 turns
but thats still random

you can get lucky and wake up after 1 turn fucking the opponent over or you can not wake up for 3 and then you lose
all based on luck
Only an idiot would keep an asleep Pokemon in the field. Rules are you can only put 1 Pokemon to sleep so high probability that Pokemon they put to sleep is very important for you. There are many chances during a battle in which you can get a favourable switch into that Pokemon and add to the Sleep counter.

Pokemon isn't like Xcom or some shit that heavily is heavy on RNG. There is a chance in everything but it is typically low, you can't win games through luck and much like chess it's more of a mental game.
Mahogany

EneT wrote:

Only an idiot would keep an asleep Pokemon in the field.
so then you just lose an entire pokemon for free

ok

EneT wrote:

That rarely actually happens
but it can and it will

thats the entire argument against RNG????
Endaris

EneT wrote:

side shit like Pokemon Snap
Man, Pokemon Snap was fun.
EneT
The argument is this; you thinking the fact that RNG plays a MASSIVE role in the game when there is actually a way to get round everything.

Mahogany wrote:

EneT wrote:

The RNG doesn't play as big of a factor to the point where you'd consider it to be 'fucked'.
what about crits
random status effect turn lengths
random damage rolls
accuracy stats
evasion (particularly double team)

etc

these sorts of things are why I find comp pokemon unbearable

Mahogany wrote:

EneT wrote:

Only an idiot would keep an asleep Pokemon in the field.
so then you just lose an entire pokemon for free

ok
If that were the case then everyone would run sleep moves, case is, barely anyone does because it's not as abusable as you think it is.

If you think Competitive is a game in which you just put in a Pokemon and use w/e move that is super-effective against the enemy and keep going until the enemy switches into a Pokemon that beats yours then you don't know anything. It's a very in and out kind of game, you switch in a Pokemon and that Pokemon will most likely do 1 move and switch out or maybe not at all and maybe just switch out immediately after being switched in.
_handholding
lul spore
EneT
Even Spore being a 100 acc move is easy as fuck to counter by switching in a Grass-type Pokemon. No one does obvious things like that.

RNG is a non-issue in Pokemon, only people who talk shit about it are those that are bad at the game and those that haven't played it hence, not knowing the intricacies of competitive play. A big factor to what decides matches though are team comps, some comps counter others and not one comp can be considered a counter to everything; there's no such thing as a perfect team comp so even if you are a good player, you can still lose to trash players if you had a poor team comp .
_handholding
You can never say RNG is a non-issue; you can argue it isn't a big issue but I don't think you can really say it's a non issue.

The whole argument against RNG is that small probabilities can drastically change a game. I mean if you had 2 remaining pokemon that could both ohko each and both had the same speed then the speed tie RNG comes into effect out of either players control. It basically becomes a coin-flip where you didn't necessarily get outplayed rather lost because of a roll of a dice.

I can't really understand why you think RNG doesn't matter at all in close situations. Yes we can all say law of large numbers blah blah blah but the point is RNG will bite people in the ass every now and again. Have you ever played poker?
EneT
You could say there is an issue in which you can potentially play better than your opponent and still lose but cases like these only happen once per 10 games. Tournaments aren't decided by one game though so this is a non-issue. It would be an issue if a 1600 elo player lost 3/5 games to a 1000 elo player due to RNG but that doesn't happen. The better players always wins in a BO5/BO3, not the luckiest. There is a clear divide between a good player and a mediocre player. If you have to rely on a speed tie to win a game that means there were several other factors as to why you're in that situation. It may be you played poorly or your opponent played better or both of you fucked up somewhere, it's not just by pure chance that you're left in that position. If RNG wasn't present at all the game would grow stale quick; the degree of uncertainty that the RNG gives adds another layer to play as to whether you should do what you intend to do and makes the opponent harder to predict.
_handholding
I don't think you are getting what I'm truly trying to say but it doesn't matter
Faust
Complaining about RNG in Pokemon? *looks at Fire Emblem*
Razzy

Endaris wrote:

EneT wrote:

side shit like Pokemon Snap
Man, Pokemon Snap was fun.
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is also good
EneT
Pokemon Snap was fun, quite sad they didn't make any sequels. I only played the first mystery dungeon game on the DS but that game was literally all I that played on my DS. I really liked starting over and retaking the personality test over and over again as I thought it was a good sign as to my current state of mind. When I was kid I would always get charmander or cyndaquil if I answered truthfully, as I got older it changed to squirtle and wartotle and at the latest I would always get either pikachu, mudkip or treecko if I answered the questions truthfully. Can't remember what personality each of those Pokemon is connected with.
B1rd
In Pokemon Crater I had a ghostly Deoxys, a dark Deoxys, and a normal Deoxys, all level 100. Then the site just shut down. I've never been able to trust ever since.
lol

FuZ wrote:

people who play competitive pokemon are fucked up
Kappa FrankerZ

lol wrote:

FuZ wrote:

people who play competitive pokemon are fucked up
EneT
I know you guys love looking all cool but statements like these really don't work when you post them on a game forum such as this, this game in particular. Top competitive Pokemon players are actually capable, respectable human beings while I'd say most top Osu players are socially inept autists that more than likely have nothing going for them in real life. So if you think people who play competitive Pokemon are fucked up... what makes you then as someone who plays Osu?
B1rd
I never thought EneT was the type of person to get so triggered over Pokemons
EneT
I'm not triggered about Pokemon. I'm triggered by the fact that Osu players, that's right, OSU PLAYERS are saying people who play <insert game here> are fucked up. Don't you see the hypocrisy in that? You can literally look at any part of this forum and see the general demographic of this game are mentally impaired retards. You don't see this kind of shit in the Smogon forums.
Kappa FrankerZ
people who play competitive osu are also fucked up man
Zain Sugieres
Yeah fucking psychos
lol

EneT wrote:

I know you guys love looking all cool
this coming from the guy who wrote an essay on his userpage with the main topic being 'im better than everyone else'

from a young age i knew i was autistically gifted
B1rd
This forum attracts narcissists, weaboos, autists, shut ins, trannies and gays; I don't think there is a single normal person here.
Rurree
Probably.
Rilene
Seems like so.
Zain Sugieres

B1rd wrote:

This forum attracts narcissists, weaboos, autists, shut ins, trannies and gays; I don't think there is a single normal person here.
I am here though
Rurree
;)
Faust
I had no idea.
_handholding
There are also people who lie about their gender, found a category for you zain ;)
Tornado
My biggest regretion is; opening a female magician charachter on an MMORPG game.No one had any idea about my age,gender or my country and people thought I was actually a girl.Despite I said that I was a guy; a few people didnt even mind when I told them that I was a guy

So,sometimes you dont even need to act like a front gender.Cuz you are always 100% grill
Railey2

Tornado wrote:

My biggest regretion is; opening a female magician charachter on an MMORPG game.No one had any idea about my age,gender or my country and people thought I was actually a girl.Despite I said that I was a guy; a few people didnt even mind when I told them that I was a guy

So,sometimes you dont even need to act like a front gender.Cuz you are always 100% grill
hey cutie

;)
Rurree
kind of like when i first got my shitty ass username here in osu
Mahogany

EneT wrote:

The argument is this; you thinking the fact that RNG plays a MASSIVE role in the game when there is actually a way to get round everything.
You shouldn't have to work around everything

The game should be good on it's own merits instead of requiring a workaround

EneT wrote:

I'm triggered by the fact that Osu players, that's right, OSU PLAYERS are saying people who play <insert game here> are fucked up.
osu is an entirely skillbased game though
pokemon isnt

EneT wrote:

You can literally look at any part of this forum and see the general demographic of this game are mentally impaired retards.
the general demographic of pokemon is literally CHILDREN
Railey2

Mahogany wrote:

EneT wrote:

I'm triggered by the fact that Osu players, that's right, OSU PLAYERS are saying people who play <insert game here> are fucked up.
osu is an entirely skillbased game though
pokemon isnt
entirely irrelevant to his argument
Mahogany
That's literally why the argument started. It's the most relevant it could possibly be.
Railey2

Mahogany wrote:

That's literally why the argument started. It's the most relevant it could possibly be.
"Top competitive Pokemon players are actually capable, respectable human beings while I'd say most top Osu players are socially inept autists that more than likely have nothing going for them in real life. So if you think people who play competitive Pokemon are fucked up... what makes you then as someone who plays Osu?"

that's his argument. He's talking not about the game, but about how the players themselves handle their real lives.

In that context, making a comment about the game is missing his point entirely.
Mahogany
That's not the post I responded to
The post I did respond to has the argument I'm talking about
Railey2

Mahogany wrote:

That's not the post I responded to
The post I did respond to has the argument I'm talking about
"I'm triggered by the fact that Osu players, that's right, OSU PLAYERS are saying people who play <insert game here> are fucked up."

he is triggered by their hypocrisy, he already said that. You're just missing the point. Ask EneT, if you want.
Mahogany

Railey2 wrote:

he is triggered by their hypocrisy
There is no hypocracy in disliking a luck-influenced game and then preferring a game which has absolutely no luck influence.
hence my point
show more