forum

ITT 2: We post shit that is neither funny nor interesting

posted
Total Posts
show more
Bweh

Aurani wrote:

Brian OA wrote:

If we can measure how brave an action is by how frightening the thing they're facing is, then we just have to ask ourselves what's scarier: suicide, or living life? I won't deny suicide is a frightening thing and that it would certainly take a lot of something to carry it out, but I don't think it's scarier. It's just one moment and then that's it. Sure, society frowns upon it, but it's not like you'll have anything to deal with later.

On the other hand, you have a long span of time that takes a lot of effort to deal with since it's full of scary things. Scary things suicide wants to run away from. Like you said, you have a life on your plate that you're not even sure is worth living, yet you see people taking that leap everywhere. They hold on to that hope even when their dreams are crushed, their hearts are broken, the earth beneath their feet crumbles, and everything they love dwindles away. They face their feelings of inadequacy, anxiety, fear, loneliness, and uncertainty every goddamn day; it doesn't just stop because nobody is ever past that. They don't win every time, seek others for help, and even give up sometimes, but they never quit the race.

It's only when you see your life as a pointless waste of time rather than hoping for something that you can say you might as well just drop dead. In fact, you can only find joy when you're doing the latter.

Nonetheless, I've said my share on the matter. So, if you ask me, holding on to that weight is truly commendable.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you there, mate.
The focal point of your first paragraph was that suicide is easier to handle because you don't have to face any consequences, but we know nothing about the afterlife, so you cannot truly claim that is the case. What's more, anyone who has ever dealt with suicidal thoughts can tell you that suicide does NOT take just one moment. Sure, you were referring to the action itself, but even that is, in most cases, not true; people tend to linger onto life until the mental illness completely and utterly destroys any kind of capability to think rationally, unless the person just doesn't give a single fuck about life itself - but we could argue that those kind of people usually have more problems than just suicidal thoughts.

You're giving life far too much weight in that argument as well. Like I said, you have no basis other than your ideals to claim that life is hard and that suicide is "the easy way out". That uncertainty does not make a good foundation for an argument, mate.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that suicide is a good thing, even if I do not share the thoughts of people who give it far too little credit. I think that life is worth TRYING to live, because unless you get reborn or somehow brought into another reality, you won't get to taste life as it is. You better have a VERY good reason as to why you'd skip half the game willingly, as life is a game very much worth playing, and having goals defines what route you're taking.
I may have to clarify a few things. It can't be helped when I get little emotional and biased, particularly over a subject like this.

My first paragraph is about how suicide is easier because you don't have to face life's consequences. That's what you're trying to get away from. While the afterlife dealio is a fair point, it's a can of worms I'd rather not open because it would expand into a tangent. It's just not my point.

I'm not trying to downplay suicide, honestly. I know I want to, but I know it's a long string of despair and uncertainty leading up to one point. And that's it: all of it boils down to the one moment. That's what decides it all; what it all boils down to. We might be defining them differently, but anything else than carrying out that action is just dealing with life itself. You are still alive, thus you are living, and thus you are dealing with life and not death. That's also why I stand by saying life is harder: you have the suicidal thoughts when you feel that life is harder and more frightening than death. In other words, they must have more problems than just suicidal thoughts. Problems that must be and are a part of life. That's why I'm giving life so much weight.
Faust
I've always thought it was that you either took the good with the bad, or nothing at all.
Bweh
As an example of that tangent and how long it go:

Railey2 wrote:

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

aurani expects me to even consider the possibility that heaven exists with no evidence
even though it goes directly against how ive said my beliefs work

i think that's where this conversation ends
it was more between the lines of: You don't have evidence for heavens non-existence, and yet you believe in its non-existence (aka believing without evidence).
However, this argument ignores how believing that something doesn't exist is the default position, while believing that it does is not.
It's not the default position. Unless you define default by how popular it is, there is no such thing because a position is just a conclusion you draw out from a notion. Something like that will vary from person to person based on a number of variables.

While it is perfectly valid to dismiss said notion, which is the default and proper logical approach to such incontestable notions, it does not add any validity to the acceptance or denial of it.
Vuelo Eluko
everyone is wrong until proven right
Aurani

Brian OA wrote:

I may have to clarify a few things. It can't be helped when I get little emotional and biased, particularly over a subject like this.

My first paragraph is about how suicide is easier because you don't have to face life's consequences. That's what you're trying to get away from. While the afterlife dealio is a fair point, it's a can of worms I'd rather not open because it would expand into a tangent. It's just not my point.

I'm not trying to downplay suicide, honestly. I know I want to, but I know it's a long string of despair and uncertainty leading up to one point. And that's it: all of it boils down to the one moment. That's what decides it all; what it all boils down to. We might be defining them differently, but anything else than carrying out that action is just dealing with life itself. You are still alive, thus you are living, and thus you are dealing with life and not death. That's also why I stand by saying life is harder: you have the suicidal thoughts when you feel that life is harder and more frightening than death. In other words, they must have more problems than just suicidal thoughts. Problems that must be and are a part of life. That's why I'm giving life so much weight.
Wait wait wait, while it IS true that MOST people have to suffer from one or a number of illnesses to seek suicide, that is not necessarily true for everyone. I, for example, see no reason why I would need to live beyond a certain age. Am I suicidal? Fuck no, I love living and learning new things, but the moment I stop being able to learn and remember, I call it quits. I might have a mental illness or a few (who knows, I never really took any professional tests), but they would certainly not be connected to this and my own ideology.
So, you don't HAVE to be desperate and driven into a corner by life to seek death. They don't HAVE to be a part of life.
Vuelo Eluko
you can't just kill yourself if you aren't suicidal, will to live is too strong. you need to know what really goes on in someones head leading up to suicide to judge it properly. Maybe later on circumstances change and you become suicidal, but whatever the trigger is it has to make death seem like a better alternative than life; the easier alternative, otherwise instinct won't allow it.

Maybe you'll spend your entire life without wanting to kill yourself, or maybe you'll get into your 60's and start developing Alzheimers and are faced with either holding out for a cure and having everything and everyone you know slowly slip away, or just killing yourself now. Which is the 'braver' option? What will you do then? Even you can't know atm.
Hika

Brian OA wrote:

what's an ass nap
A nap that is ass but turns out nice.

Still on this subject are we? Damn, do I really wanna say something but no.
Aurani
Since when is someone supposed to prove braveness? It's seriously retarded. It's your life and you do whatever you want with it. There is no such thing as "being brave" by choosing to live, regardless of the circumstances.
Hika
Quite honestly, life is just seen as a series of obstacles by very many, however, some people don't see it that way. Some people have to go harder than others and when consoling them, it's usually just things thrown around such as "you're brave for combating your fears". It shouldn't be something you praise, I agree, but it isn't fair to those who don't have the capability of realizing that living is something that everyone has to do, whether they'd like to or not.
Vuelo Eluko
I'm going to use the most extreme example I can to get this point across. Imagine someone straps you to a chair and every single day is just torturing you, twisting joints, tearing off your fingernails, burning you, whipping, breaking, and this goes on indefinitely. But wait, you have a cyanide capsule tucked into the back of your mouth! It's not a matter of steeling yourself enough to slice your tongue off between your teeth or anything, all you have to do is dislodge it with your tongue and pop it between your teeth. The act itself is painless and easy, and the torture stops. I don't know what kind of person you are but I can gaurantee at some point you're going to think death is a hell of a lot easier than living with this pain.

Bringing it back to reality, the threshold varies for everyone. Some people can keep chanting "it'll get better" even as famine and disease pluck the flesh from their bones, others get pushed over the edge by someone calling them gay on facebook, but wherever it is, anyone can reach it.
EneT

Hika wrote:

Brian OA wrote:

what's an ass nap
A nap that is ass but turns out nice.

Still on this subject are we? Damn, do I really wanna say something but no.
I like ass, so an ass nap must be really good then.
Aomi

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

I'm going to use the most extreme example I can to get this point across. Imagine someone straps you to a chair and every single day is just torturing you, twisting joints, tearing off your fingernails, burning you, whipping, breaking, and this goes on indefinitely.
sounds like that one scene in tg tbh
Hika
Ass naps are pretty good. I love them. Gonna take one soon hopefully.
Foxtrot
None of you are probably old enough to have gone through at least two divorces, so leave the suicide talk for later.
Aurani
What does a divorce have to do with suicide? I would assume that you want to make a claim that we're not old enough, but you already established that 6 words before the divorce part, so what exactly were you trying to get at with being so specific as to mention divorces? Your own experience? :p
Railey2

Brian OA wrote:

It's not the default position. Unless you define default by how popular it is, there is no such thing because a position is just a conclusion you draw out from a notion. Something like that will vary from person to person based on a number of variables.

While it is perfectly valid to dismiss said notion, which is the default and proper logical approach to such incontestable notions, it does not add any validity to the acceptance or denial of it.
What I meant to say with that was that rational people usually don't start to believe something blindly - hence why not believing is the default position. You don't start out with belief, you start out with not believing until something turns up to convince you otherwise. This is why you don't automatically start to believe stuff that doesn't fit nicely in the general framework of beliefs that you already hold. (At least if you aren't guided by what you want to be true :p then you might as well start to believe in heaven right off the bat.)

@Faust: I can't afford the plane tickets! It's always the damn plane tickets.

Aurani wrote:

Wait wait wait, while it IS true that MOST people have to suffer from one or a number of illnesses to seek suicide, that is not necessarily true for everyone. I, for example, see no reason why I would need to live beyond a certain age. Am I suicidal? Fuck no, I love living and learning new things, but the moment I stop being able to learn and remember, I call it quits. I might have a mental illness or a few (who knows, I never really took any professional tests), but they would certainly not be connected to this and my own ideology.
So, you don't HAVE to be desperate and driven into a corner by life to seek death. They don't HAVE to be a part of life.
to support your argument: http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/20 ... big-sleep/ This is an article about a couple of australian scientists, who committed suicide together (they were both older than 80). Suicide doesn't necessarily have to be a result of illness, as you said (Although I am sure one could argue that old age itself is an illness too).
Here is the man's suicide letter, for anyone who is interested. I'd recommend reading the article though, its good.
Vuelo Eluko
he was afraid of living more than dying, it was harder to go on than to kill himself. really it supports my argument
Railey2

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

he was afraid of living more than dying, it was harder to go on than to kill himself. really it supports my argument
I am confused about what your argument is in the first place. "you can't just kill yourself if you aren't suicidal" ? Thats almost a tautology, idk who would even argue about that. You have to be suicidal to commit suicide.

If you say that you have to be more afraid of life than death to commit suicide, then I'd disagree. There are more possible motives for taking your own life than just fear of life. You could be tired of life for example.

Either way, both are unrelated to the point that I was trying to make: Suicide does not necessarily have to be a result of mental illness, it can be the result of a completely healthy and rational consideration. You don't have to feel desperate to contemplate suicide. In the right situation, you can view it as one of many options that you have available. You can then calmly prepare everything and go in peace, just like the old couple did.
Aurani
Took you fucking long enough to be on the same page with me on something. :p
Railey2
we are the only ones on the same page right now. Wanna start something?
dkun
so how's the weather
Railey2
dont ruin me and aurani being on the same page alone for once when I just started to feel it
EneT
Cold.
Aurani
I can feel us being together.
Marry me.
Railey2
Yes I want to share assets
EneT
Oh shit, you guys dealing?

How much a kilo cost?
Birdy
They're gonna fuck!
Railey2
If I marry Aurani I will never be German again. I'll change my flag to whatever he has. Bosnia and Herzegovina.
EneT
I will also change to teasing you about being a faggot, like I do to Aurani.
Aurani
Now I'll have to kill you for that.
Railey2
shit who is he talking to. We good Aurani?
abraker
How I see it, the cause of suicide is the individual's certainty within inability to keep up with life. Not when all options are exhausted, but when the individual cannot perceive any more options.
Aurani
>Aurani is a kebab
>Are we okay?

You want me to rape you? :V
Vuelo Eluko

abraker wrote:

How I see it, the cause of suicide is the individual's certainty within inability to keep up with life. Not when all options are exhausted, but when the individual cannot perceive any more options.
so you mean the cause of suicide is not gitting gud?
EneT
Kebab's are infamous for raping people though so you aren't helping yourself out.
abraker

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

abraker wrote:

so you mean the cause of suicide is not gitting gud?
"getting gud" is an option. Therefore, no
Vuelo Eluko
inability to choose to git gud then

id like to be raped by a swede

oops gonna get silenced again
Foxtrot

Aurani wrote:

What does a divorce have to do with suicide? I would assume that you want to make a claim that we're not old enough, but you already established that 6 words before the divorce part, so what exactly were you trying to get at with being so specific as to mention divorces? Your own experience? :p
Yes, I went through 2 divorces in my lifetime already. Stay off drugs, kids.
Railey2

abraker wrote:

in my example the old couple clearly saw the option of palliative care. The reason why they chose suicide was exactly because they saw the downsides of the alternative option so clearly.

I would refrain from looking for only one cause for suicide. As with most other human decisions, the reasons behind it can vary greatly. Unless formulate the cause in such a general manner that it becomes obvious and thereby useless, you'll always miss something.
abraker

xxjesus1412fanx wrote:

inability to choose to git gud then
Suicide by the inability to "git gud"? That can be an influence, but not a sound argument.
show more