forum

ITT 2: We post shit that is neither funny nor interesting

posted
Total Posts
show more
Birdy
I have been in two or three, but they are either dead, or they tried to make me dead
Milkshake
I think usually it's both at the same time.
Foxtrot

Apex wrote:

Just recovered. Friending Mutual friends now. SAT is in October and I need to get my stuff together.
You can do it, don't worry! I'll cheer for you.
Bweh
I don't think I wasted more than an hour studying for the SAT

Not that my score was amazing or anything, but I thought it's there to test what you've gotten from high school—studying specifically for it kind of defeats that purpose.
dNextGen
ive actually never study at all for any SAT test

which got me enrolled to a state college that is kinda big deal in here

yeah im a pretty big deal
Zeraph

Brian OA wrote:

Not that my score was amazing or anything, but I thought it's there to test what you've gotten from high school—studying specifically for it kind of defeats that purpose.
but the american education system is so good that in high school the curriculum/syllabus actually doesn't teach you whats on the test necessarily, and neither does it teach you what the test is like.

then that test will practically determine whether you're eligible to enter a university that's good or is shit and waste of your money. quality education system.
Hika
I scored pretty fucking high and still didn't get into the school I wanted to get into.

Fucking elitists.
BrokenArrow
it's because you're black
NotEvenDoomMusic

Hika wrote:

I scored pretty fucking high and still didn't get into the school I wanted to get into.

Fucking elitists.
hej hika
howru babs
Kanye West

Zeraph wrote:

Brian OA wrote:

but the american education system is so good that in high school the curriculum/syllabus actually doesn't teach you whats on the test necessarily, and neither does it teach you what the test is like.

then that test will practically determine whether you're eligible to enter a university that's good or is shit and waste of your money. quality education system.
That's the whole point, the test measures how well you can do on that test, and not how well you do in school. So basically it's an indirect measure of work ethic. If you study your ass off for the SAT you'll do well and so it shows you have good work ethic. Even if schools started teaching SAT stuff then they will change the test because it's not supposed to be taught by schools

So instead of blaming the American education system, it's better to blame American kids for being lazy undriven fucks who don't work hard and complain when they don't get their way

Who deserves a better score? That guy that wants a high test score handed to him on a silver platter just because he's a straight A student or the guy who actually worked his ass off to learn hundreds of vocab words and do thousands of test questions?
Zeraph
Yea I agree. Im not complaining cause I was cheated or something. I feel bad for the less intelligent population of america that seemed to be quite a large majority at least where I attended high school.

Just think theres somethings that could be changed about how America does education.
Kaona
The education system is flawed everywhere tbh.
GladiOol
From what I can tell the education system is doing exactly as people want it to do. Favoring those who sit down, shut up and work hard. Just like any average work day will be later on.
Kanye West
I don't think there's anything wrong with the American education system tbh. Kids that are motivated and work hard are given opportunities to excel and join the intellectual elite and those that don't are rightfully screwed over by it. The less intelligent population is as it is because they didn't work as hard, plain and simple.

American culture is flawed though because kids are taught that they deserve the best just because they're American and American culture also tends to value "hurr I can lift moar dan u" and number of sexual partners over trying hard in school.

Now compare that to say indian culture or a lot of east asian culture which takes the belief that you are not a goddamn special snowflake and you have to work your hardest to turn yourself into something remotely useful.
GladiOol

Kanye West wrote:

Kids that are motivated and work hard are given opportunities to excel and join the intellectual elite and those that don't are rightfully screwed over by it.
Yeah, that's pretty fucked up. Some people do have the competence, yet lack the guidance. I'm a prime example as to that. Always scored the highest on every test, always labeled as ''gifted''. Now here I am, haven't even finished my high school yet. Other scources can fuck a mind up. It's not that I never had the chance, of course I had the chance. Everybody gets the chance to excell in education, to get far. Yet some people simply need guidance. I never got it. I got labled as gifted one day and labled stupid the next for simply speaking up or thinking differently than others. It's not that I have spite against the system because of this now, I despise it because it could've been better for me. A small tap on the shoulder would've already done miracles. And I'm not the only one who has this problem. So many people left aside because education favors the average joe.
Vuelo Eluko
my finnish friend was complaining about how they cant just go to multiple schools for free for whatever trade they want to learn for anymore. Now they only get to go to college for FREE.. ONCE!

i had a hard time sympathizing.
Tanzklaue
i went through school without ever doing anything and still got pretty decent grades.

and with that i mean i literally threw togehter my presentation exam for the finals together in the 4 hours before the exam and got a B-.
Bweh
B1rd

Kanye West wrote:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the American education system tbh. Kids that are motivated and work hard are given opportunities to excel and join the intellectual elite and those that don't are rightfully screwed over by it. The less intelligent population is as it is because they didn't work as hard, plain and simple.

American culture is flawed though because kids are taught that they deserve the best just because they're American and American culture also tends to value "hurr I can lift moar dan u" and number of sexual partners over trying hard in school.

Now compare that to say indian culture or a lot of east asian culture which takes the belief that you are not a goddamn special snowflake and you have to work your hardest to turn yourself into something remotely useful.
Pretty much. In asian cultures if you don' work your hardest you're a failure of a human being. In `Straya if you actually work hard you're an exception.
Blue Stig
quotes

Wanye Kest wrote:

GladiOol wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty fucked up. Some people do have the competence, yet lack the guidance. I'm a prime example as to that. Always scored the highest on every test, always labeled as ''gifted''. Now here I am, haven't even finished my high school yet. Other scources can fuck a mind up. It's not that I never had the chance, of course I had the chance. Everybody gets the chance to excell in education, to get far. Yet some people simply need guidance. I never got it. I got labled as gifted one day and labled stupid the next for simply speaking up or thinking differently than others. It's not that I have spite against the system because of this now, I despise it because it could've been better for me. A small tap on the shoulder would've already done miracles. And I'm not the only one who has this problem. So many people left aside because education favors the average joe.
I don't think the American education system is too bad.
It just needs more people that care and less money in stupid projects to impress the parents.
Also perhaps a better transition from the busy work of school to the info dump of college.

Wait is this a serious conversation in OT?

Edit:ARRRG!!!
Shellghost
I think Kanye is a wizard.

He describes how the general lazy Americans expect shit on a silver platter and then one suddenly appears to make a thread.
Zeraph

Kanye West wrote:

pretty much this is the reason they should change. the way it is right now there's nothing wrong but there could be improvements to try to weed out these dumb little pricks or at least change this dumbass mindset murrica has.

from what i've seen in korea so far every middle schooler through high schooler is either forced to attend a cram school, or stay after school for extra studies and you're pretty much forced to work your ass off. i definitely don't think america should copy the school hours from korea or asian countries though, I think america have the school hours pretty solid.

aka not going to school at 8am and leaving at 4-5pm then doing cram school or extra studies afterwards.
Trash Boat
if anyone here can access Forum games, can you do me a favor?
UnderminE
sure

but gonna sleep now, so later cya
Kyonko Hizara

UnderminE wrote:

sure

but gonna sleep now, so later cya
Have many dreams of Dio <3
Vuelo Eluko
i wasn't taught a single useful thing in 4 years of high school except maybe for one 45 minute government class i took for one semester

nice education system obama
Hika

NotEvenDoomMusic wrote:

hej hika
howru babs
ahhhh a cutie is talking to me what do i do
NotEvenDoomMusic
maybe answering my question? :'<
a-and no i'm no qt ;_;

also, not obligatory

mathexpert

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

i wasn't taught a single useful thing in 4 years of high school except maybe for one 45 minute government class i took for one semester

I've learned a lot of stuff in high school so far...maybe I'm lucky to go to a good school. Perhaps not stuff you would directly use in real life, but more fundamental stuff like historical/cultural awareness (AP world and us history), critical thinking (comp sci, calculus, AP physics), composition (english), rhetoric (ohgod all the presentations, debates, and socratic seminars) , etc.

how much you learn is probably directly proportional to your attitude...something that a lot of people don't get. The point of integral calculus is not to teach you how to do integrals and use them in real life, but to learn how to think critically and convey your ideas, through proofs and stuff. Of course, if you ever want to optimize the volume of a box or find how much paint you need for your oddly shaped rooftop ..calculus is there~
Kyonko Hizara
NEDM sent me scary things on skype ;~;
UnderminE
NEDM make Daddy post more so i can laugh at your "dad" posts
Vuelo Eluko

mathexpert wrote:

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

fundamental stuff like historical/cultural awareness (AP world and us history), critical thinking (comp sci, calculus, AP physics), composition (english), rhetoric (ohgod all the presentations, debates, and socratic seminars) , etc.
that kind of stuff was years wasted for me
Jarby
If you think all of those things are inherently worthless, I don't think you'd be happy with any sensible education system.
Vuelo Eluko
sensible would be letting me choose what i want to learn and what i can use later
but they just cram useless facts down your throat then make you pay out the ass to go to college for something you want
the only electives were marketing forensics and sport
Shellghost
I don't think you get to judge what sensible is after claiming to have not been taught a single useful thing in 4 years.
dNextGen

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

sensible would be letting me choose what i want to learn and what i can use later
there are no such thing like that boy, life is hard
Quaraezha
There you are, Shelly. Perfect timing.

Trash Boat

Kyonko Hizara wrote:

Have many dreams of Dio <3
what's the Diol with him? :D. i mean seriously
Witch Mercy

Shellghost wrote:

I don't think you get to judge what sensible is after claiming to have not been taught a single useful thing in 4 years.
Hika
NEDM doesn't know how to skype me. That's frustrating.
show more