forum

[resolved] How to reinstall osu without losing settings, unranked scores, replays, etc.?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SilverStar555
Problem details:
Due to reasons stated in this thread, I have to reinstall osu!. However, I don't know whats causing the issue mentioned in the thread and I fear that if I copy the entire osu! folder over, the problem will persist.

I know how to copy beatmaps and skins, but is there any way to copy specific files such as but not limited to:
  1. unranked scores
  2. replays
  3. game settings
Thank you in advance! Any help is appreciated~
Death
Reinstalling to fix that issue was most likely completely unnecessary.

Run the installer without reinstalling first. Or if that doesn't work, install a second copy of the game onto your PC, test to see if it works, and then move everything over from your old install to the new one.

If you don't want to lose any files when reinstalling, you essentially need to backup everything, which defeats the purpose of reinstalling. You would just be redownloading the game's DLL files and osu!.exe, which running the installer should do for you.
Topic Starter
SilverStar555

Death wrote:

Reinstalling to fix that issue was most likely completely unnecessary.

Run the installer without reinstalling first. Or if that doesn't work, install a second copy of the game onto your PC, test to see if it works, and then move everything over from your old install to the new one.

If you don't want to lose any files when reinstalling, you essentially need to backup everything, which defeats the purpose of reinstalling. You would just be redownloading the game's DLL files and osu!.exe, which running the installer should do for you.
Quite worryingly, I just completely reinstalled the game on a different drive and I still cant import beatmaps. The beatmaps that come with the game wouldn't even load in.

There has to be some sort of very specific compatibility issue occurring, else I'd think this would be a more prevalent problem. Either that or people with the same problem just haven't realized they have the same problem yet.

And ideas of what that issue could be would be appreciated.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Out of curiosity, what OS are you running?
Death
Could be an antivirus software (or something else in Windows) preventing the game from moving or extracting the files.
Topic Starter
SilverStar555

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Out of curiosity, what OS are you running?
Windows 10 Home Edition.

Death wrote:

Could be an antivirus software (or something else in Windows) preventing the game from moving or extracting the files.
Solved! Avast Premium strikes again!
Thank you very much for the help.