forum

[Archived] osu crashes my graphic drivers/PC

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
qicc_xd
I've had this proble for quite a while now and everything I tried didnt help. My game crashes almost everytime I play osu, sometimes in the middle of the first map I play, sometimes after playing hours. It always crashes while playing a map. Sometimes my screens turn black for 2 or 3 seconds and then there is a amd thing, which says "your AMD graphic drivers have crashed" and I have to restart my computer because my pc starts freezing. Sometimes one monitor turns green and the others black and I have to turn off my pc with the power button. What also happened some times was that when I turned my PC back on my drivers just disappeared and I had to reinstall them.

Im running on the latest AMD drivers.

Pc specs:
rx 5600XT XFX
ryzen 5 5600x
b450 mainboard
Windows 10
16GB of corsair RGB ram at 2666mhz because somehow it wont run higher
osu is installed on a 240GB SanDisk SSD
I use a wacom CTH472

I really hope someone can help me because everything I tried in the past 6 months didnt work
Blushing
I'm not entirely sure this is an osu! issue. Does this happen with other games or while using your computer outside of playing osu? I only ask because if it is the entire computer crashing and black screening then it might be a hardware issue or with windows itself, not osu.

If it is just osu then try following this guide wiki/en/Help_Centre#event-viewer to find the crash log and post it in this thread so that we can help.
Topic Starter
qicc_xd

Blushing wrote:

I'm not entirely sure this is an osu! issue. Does this happen with other games or while using your computer outside of playing osu? I only ask because if it is the entire computer crashing and black screening then it might be a hardware issue or with windows itself, not osu.

If it is just osu then try following this guide wiki/en/Help_Centre#event-viewer to find the crash log and post it in this thread so that we can help.
it only happens when I play osu.
Here is my crash log: (Nicht verfügbar= not available)
APPCRASH
Nicht verfügbar
osu!.exe
60a671d1
atioglxx.dll
608c16a3
c0000005
0077eb49

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERC21B.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_osu!.exe_a31193e4cda9c663aec7bbba586f746e495070f8_95f5c98a_d6a21daa-0fe8-4d81-b016-8b6ac2ec49b7

071eb322-0237-4ae6-bead-033431315b3d
7c86913526125a26d643462e7280fd2f
Dntm8kmeeatu
If your drivers are crashing, you should reinstall them.

Use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to fully remove the driver files first, to be absolutely sure. Since sometimes default Windows doesn't fully cleanly remove.
Then install the latest ones for your card.
Topic Starter
qicc_xd

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

If your drivers are crashing, you should reinstall them.

Use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to fully remove the driver files first, to be absolutely sure. Since sometimes default Windows doesn't fully cleanly remove.
Then install the latest ones for your card.
I have reinstalled my drivers multiple times with amd cleanup utility, are you sure it makes a difference if I do it with DDU because I heard DDU can also cause some problems
Dntm8kmeeatu
If Cleanup utility didn't work, it's probably worth a shot to try DDU.

I haven't heard any stories about DDU causing issues, and personally I don't use it. But it has gotten results to people I suggest it to. So, if you find it worth it try, there is a chance it might actually help.
Topic Starter
qicc_xd

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

If Cleanup utility didn't work, it's probably worth a shot to try DDU.

I haven't heard any stories about DDU causing issues, and personally I don't use it. But it has gotten results to people I suggest it to. So, if you find it worth it try, there is a chance it might actually help.
I will give it a try and let you know if it worked or not but everytime I tried it with the amd cleanup utility it did nothing
Nukrid
Just adding here, as a former AMD user that had RDNA 1 (a 5700 XT in my case), drivers on windows are hit or miss, you have to find a specific version that works well for you. In my case, it was the December 2020 version, worked pretty well in most cases and crashes were very rare.

Every time you do a DDU or Cleanup Utility, be sure to use it on safe mode, boot without internet connection (just pull the cable) to avoid windows installing drivers automatically and install a different version until you find one that works well for you.
Topic Starter
qicc_xd

Nukrid wrote:

Just adding here, as a former AMD user that had RDNA 1 (a 5700 XT in my case), drivers on windows are hit or miss, you have to find a specific version that works well for you. In my case, it was the December 2020 version, worked pretty well in most cases and crashes were very rare.

Every time you do a DDU or Cleanup Utility, be sure to use it on safe mode, boot without internet connection (just pull the cable) to avoid windows installing drivers automatically and install a different version until you find one that works well for you.
I just did a clean DDU cleanup and installed the newest version (released 6 days ago) and now I will see if it works
Topic Starter
qicc_xd
ok playing the game worked out for a while but then recently it started crashing again. I did a clean DDU reinstall multiple times and this time it didnt work. Its the same problem over and over again "AMD driver timeout"
This shit starts to make me really mad and after a game crash my motivation to play is just gone
HappyTomass
Have you tried out turning compitability mode? It has helped in my case because it's most times rendering at stable 118 FPS, just sometimes laging a bit, but it's okay.
Xayah-Kun
I've been having the exact same issue detail by detail and cannot fix it.... same GPU different cpu/mobo so I believe its some sort of AMD driver issue with the card, but ive got no clue as to why, hopefully someone saves us. (I haven't been able to play for around a year its pretty sad)
Nukrid
AMD drivers are really a handful. Their windows OpenGL implementation is so buggy that it happens with any game that uses OpenGL. Maybe if you try using the compatibility mode to avoid it may make a difference, but still is not ideal :(
HappyTomass
The only way I can play osu! with my AMD driver is by closing all programs, I mean really all programs, and playing on compaibility mode in osu!.
-FR

Nukrid wrote:

AMD drivers are really a handful. Their windows OpenGL implementation is so buggy that it happens with any game that uses OpenGL. Maybe if you try using the compatibility mode to avoid it may make a difference, but still is not ideal :(
Haven't tried using compatibility mode but I already noticed that the consumer gpus from amd dont support opengl that well. Apparently their workstation cards have better support and the drivers are working better but that still doesn't solve the issue unfortunately. That's just a little sidenote I found out about after digging about this issue for ages now.

Edit: The issue really becomes annoying once you open obs and stream. The driver crashes almost every time and after 40 minutes to about an hour and a half.

Another Edit: 6000 Series Cards do apparently solve some of the issues mentioned above.