forum

Your opinions on "Nearby countries/regional ranking"

posted
Total Posts
show more
XEPCOH
Well, ok
France really needs to be separated, Netherlands too because of their high amount
Topic Starter
boat
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your suggestions and they are of help, but some of these groups are too small. The netherlands doesn't have as big of a playerbase as you may think. Statistics say that they got less active users than Sweden, and take the other gamemodes into consideration as well.

As a taiko player, this is pretty much what I see on every map ever

And I'm pretty sure users in the Netherlands and for the other modes do as well. I find benelux to make sense and seemingly so do most users from these respective countries. As I've mentioned before, try to stick to your own regions. This is what you know best, and I'm pretty sure users from their own regions now theirs better. If users from the Netherlands don't deem merging benelux to be necessary then they are free to vote against it, same deal goes for Belgium and Luxembourg, although considering the size of their playerbase It'd be pretty silly of them to.
GladiOol

boat wrote:

GladiOol wrote:

East europe will be a bitch. From what I know, Romania and Hungary won't work together. Croatia and Serbia won't work. Bosnia and Serbia won't work. Hungary and Slovakia won't work. Kosovo won't work with Croatia either iirc. Macedonia don't like the serbs either from what i know.

Good luck sorting it out :~D
Leave the users from their respective countries to decide that. Either way I don't agree with weighting historical events over the geographic aspect. This is a game and some things will have to be disregarded. Most of these wont be grouped specifically with one partner either, rather as a whole within a "Balkan Region".
I'm merely suggesting that you need to be careful to some degree when you put these countries together in one, selected group. Es tut mir leid.
Pizzicato
asia? no please

i cant compete anymore :<
Topic Starter
boat

boat wrote:

those with well below 20k users qualify
XPJ38
Uh, since it seems really complicated now to make divisions and since peppy wanted to have as bigger regions as possible, why don't we just make a continental ranking?

Like:

This way, one could say "Yay, I am #3 in Europe, I am the best" instead of "Yay, I am number #3 in whatever group of countries I don't know much about".
The number of continents is up to you (but frankly, Europe and Asia need to be separated for obvious reasons).
Topic Starter
boat
This is a possibility and what you see in the OP is not the only options I've noted down, the issue is that there has been no word about whether or not grouping the minor countries with the major will be an option and as such I'd like to keep other possible options available.

The issue with that though is the amount of people who disagree, and I sort of do as well. The idea is to improve upon the competition within the smaller circles, not group them with those who don't have the issue, essentially fix the problems for those who have it and leave it as it is for those who don't.

I think you've also misunderstood that this is for the beatmap specific filter only. Don't focus on what's noted down, think of new and logical additions, such as the already almost concluded "benelux" which makes perfect sense.
XPJ38

boat wrote:

I think you've also misunderstood that this is for the beatmap specific filter only. Don't focus on what's noted down, think of new and logical additions, such as the already almost concluded "benelux" which makes perfect sense.
Yes, I did understand well that it's beatmap-specific.

Sure about Benelux and other regional areas, but the main issue is the countries that aren't in a specific already-created region: everything depends on people's perception of why a country should be grouped with another. Ukraine and Russia fit well for some of the Ukrainians and Russians, but doesn't for others. This could be dangerous.

I am not as optimistic as you, but yeah, it doesn't hurt to try anyway.
Topic Starter
boat
If there is no logical fit then there's nothing to do but either not adding them anywhere or grouping them in the most logical continental region, which is what I'm asking suggestions for.

I don't intend to propose grouping countries without logical reasons for it, nor am I expecting to be able to cover everyone.

Updated the op with some clearer groups, and I may as well add in that you can message me personally if you don't want express your opinion publicly, for whatever reasons you may have.
Noobita

UnderminE wrote:

CDFA wrote:

Maybe the Middle East can be grouped (Unless they have a high population of players. ie. Turkey, Egypt, Israel) as well?
Once again, there is a huge mistake. We are pretty far from Arabic culture. Our language and whatever. Just because the main religion is Islam, I don't accept being under same region with countries we don't have anything to share. And any of Turkish players won't accept either.
Weird thing is we are both in Asia and Europe.;_;

As I already said to boat, if there are any Azerbaijani players, we will be more than okay to share same region since our language are almost the same and we can understand each other very well. Maybe it has nothing with communication or sharing cultures but if we are talking about a regional scoreboard, I am sure it will bring some hate against countries with it since there will be a race to get the first rank. So IMO kind-of-enemy countries being on same ranking scoreboard as a "region" is not a good idea.

The idea must be discussed with country players very well, to prevent negative results in the future.

---

On another side, how about Balkans?

Didn't see anywhere that it says "Religious ranking" or "Cultural ranking"...
Topic Starter
boat
I had a talk with a few people regarding the Middle East. Supposedly Turkey aren't keen on getting merged with anybody but Azerbaijan because they don't deem the countries to be similar enough. Geographically, you're all in the middle east, and more importantly, religion and politics are not related to the matter and should not in any way be involved.

My proposal is to merge the countries listed under the "Traditional definition of the Middle East" and the "Greater Middle East" as following:

Middle East group A (temporary name)
SPOILER
  • Bahrain
    Cyprus
    Egypt
    Iran
    Iraq
    Israel
    Jordan
    Kuwait
    Lebanon
    Oman
    State of Palestine
    Qatar
    Saudi Arabia
    Syria
    United Arab Emirates
    Yemen
Middle East group B (temporary name as well)
SPOILER
  • Afghanistan
    Turkey
    Algeria
    Armenia
    Azerbaijan
    Comoros
    Djibouti
    Georgia
    Kazakhstan
    Kyrgyzstan
    Libya
    Mauritania
    Morocco
    Pakistan
    Somalia
    Sudan
    Tajikistan
    Tunisia
    Turkmenistan
    Uzbekistan
    Western Sahara Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic

and more importantly, to disregard anything but the geographic location. Feel free to notify me of any problems that may arise with this, but do keep in mind that this is a game and you should keep political and personal matters out of it.

edit: turkey moved to group B despite the definition of the regions because of various concerns
VoidnOwO
For about a millionth time, it's Finland, not Finnland ._.
Topic Starter
boat

BRBP wrote:

For about a millionth time, it's Finland, not Finnland ._.
Haha oh well, my bad.

Fixed.
Mianki
Don't forget to put Åland Islands with Finland, they have their own Country ranking.
Topic Starter
boat
Should qualify as a part of the "Nordic Countries".
Ruidoso

Noobita wrote:

Yeah it doesn't, but I believe what UnderminE is trying to say it, just because we share a region with some other country, it doesn't mean that we'd like to be grouped with them. Because there's actually nothing in common other than being located in the same region. I believe, much as we don't want to get anything political or religious involved in this, we can't disregard the truth that there will be a competition, not some kind of friendly one but racist one. So I thought grouping the countries who are culturally close to each other would create a great atmosphere with a spirit of friendly competition. These are my thoughts.
UnderminE

Noobita wrote:

Live here for a while and see how politic things go around here, then you will understand what I tried to say.

Anyways had a discussion with boat and we will be fine with being under group B.
Topic Starter
boat
Alright, so the compromise is to move Turkey over to group B. I'm not fond of involving politics into this, but this should do for now and will most likely not be an issue. Undermine confirms that this is a reasonable enough solution.

Direct further concerns to me through in game PMs or send me a private message on the forums. Try to not debate political matters here.
OnosakiHito
Sorry if I just pop in, but I wanted to mention -if it hasn't be already- that it is fine to put the whole balkan together.
I know, there are still people who would be against it(due to history and bla), but actually we share everything together:
- culture
- religion
- food
and more.

We have just a few competitors, e.g. in croatia, serbia or bosnia, which just have like about 3~10 people in every country.
So I would see no reason why not to merge such rankings together.

I like your idea.
UnderminE
Go go #balkan
Lumikki_old
I would put Baltic and Nordic countries together and change the group name to Northern Europe

Reasons:

1. I have heard that Estonians view themselves more Nordic than Baltic (please correct if not true)
2. The population of these countries are quite small.
3. Common history.
4. Similar language. ( Finnish-Estonian, Latvian-Lithuanian, Swedish-Norwegian-Danish...)
Hiryuu_old

Lumikki wrote:

I would put Baltic and Nordic countries together and change the group name to Northern Europe

Reasons:

1. I have heard that Estonians view themselves more Nordic than Baltic (please correct if not true)
3. Common history.
4. Similar language. ( Finnish-Estonian, Latvian-Lithuanian, Swedish-Norwegian-Danish...)
I approve of this.

@Lumikki that is kind of true indeed we view ourselves more with Nordic than Baltic (afaik). Also, if to take a view upon the statistics of abroad estonians going to Baltic or Nordic, the majority of estonians prefer going to either Finland or Sweden to work and live there, instead of Latvia or Lithuania, it's also safe to say that there's a lot of estonians in Finland. Quite many have also started going towards Sweden, but that's what I've heard.
Lumikki_old

ShinseinaTenshi wrote:

Lumikki wrote:

Reasons:

3. Common history.
I approve of this.

@Lumikki that is kind of true indeed we view ourselves more with Nordic than Baltic (afaik). Also, if to take a view upon the statistics of abroad estonians going to Baltic or Nordic, the majority of estonians prefer going to either Finland or Sweden to work and live there, instead of Latvia or Lithuania, it's also safe to say that there's a lot of estonians in Finland. Quite many have also started going towards Sweden, but that's what I've heard.
I'm glad you agree with me.

Yes, I can confirm that there are many Estonians here, particularly in the town I live in :) I also remember that many Estonians immigrated to Sweden during the past. Baltic countries as well as Finland have been under the Russian and Swedish rule during the history so I do not see why they cannot be in the same group. Also all these countries have very good relations with each other.
Topic Starter
boat

Lumikki wrote:

Reasons:
This is not quite a valid argument. By all means, I wouldn't mind adding more countries to us, but this is merely opinions and doesn't have anything to do with geography.

ShinseinaTenshi wrote:

Also, if to take a view upon the statistics of abroad estonians going to Baltic or Nordic, the majority of estonians prefer going to either Finland or Sweden to work and live there, instead of Latvia or Lithuania
This isn't as much a preference as simply some nordic countries, particularly Norway and Finland having good amounts of jobs available. Estonia is not alone on that front. This isn't a valid argument either.

Nonetheless, if we're to go by the UN definition, then you are a part of "Northern Europe" as well and as such the proposal is valid, I'll add it to the list as an alternative.
silmarilen
if this is going to end up like a "lets put countrys that are geographically near eachother" instead of a "lets put countrys with litle players where it makes sense together" i would just prefer to stay as a single country
Topic Starter
boat
The correlation between countries must make sense mainly geographically. You can't just slap countries together because somebody "wants to". Subjective reasons don't make sense to everybody.

As much as I'd like having the choice of selecting what countries to filter, the proposed idea is for regional rankings and as such grouping into regions should be the way to go. If there is some grouping in particular which you're not fond of, feel free to let me know.
silmarilen
what i mean is that if countrys dont need to be put together because they have plenty of people in their country ranking you shouldnt put them with other countrys just because they are close to eachother
Topic Starter
boat
If you'd read the op you would know that no country where the current feature works well has an obligation to be merged with a region, and as such chances are they will be left alone.

I don't got peppys final word on it, but at least my plan was to fix the issues for those who has them.
Lumikki_old

boat wrote:

This is not quite a valid argument. By all means, I wouldn't mind adding more countries to us, but this is merely opinions and doesn't have anything to do with geography.
If the capitals of the countries ( Helsinki and Tallinn) are only 80km away from each other and that's not geographically close? I know there is a small gulf between that could make the distance look longer than it really is. It seems you are somewhat against to see Estonian/Latvian/Lithuanian rankings in your area. In this Baltic region there are barely 6 million inhabitants, so it would be nonsense to make them as their own group compared to something like Middle East groups.

boat wrote:

Nonetheless, if we're to go by the UN definition, then you are a part of "Northern Europe" as well and as such the proposal is valid, I'll add it to the list as an alternative.
Thank you. I would also make lots of changes to Middle East groups, esp concerning Israel, which is not in a good terms most of the countries in the same group. Also I would add Cyprus to same list where Turkey ( or Greece, didn't see it anywhere) is since common language and culture. Also maybe Arab-countries would be nicer to be in the same list as well as all Turkic ones.

Just advising...
Topic Starter
boat
Politics and personal issues should not be brought into a game. I already due to request moved Turkey, if anybody from any of those respective countries has further issues concerning this they are free to contact me personally about it, and I'll look into ways to change it, but keep it as objective as possible.

Nevertheless, I can not guarantee everybody being satisfied nor am I ultimately in charge of how we're to go on about things.

Lumikki wrote:

If the capitals of the countries ( Helsinki and Tallinn) are only 80km away from each other and that's not geographically close?
This is not what I replied to.
Shohei Ohtani

CDFA wrote:

this is like exactly the reason why grouping big countries is bad

With countries with less than 100 active players, they won't really care too much about being put into a general group

but when combining really active areas, it's like they don't want to be combined because they already have decent country rankings.
Yukiteru Amano
Keep country ranking and make a new regional ranking system... So you can still compare to your country but regional as well.
Topic Starter
boat

CDFA wrote:

this is like exactly the reason why grouping big countries is bad

With countries with less than 100 active players, they won't really care too much about being put into a general group

but when combining really active areas, it's like they don't want to be combined because they already have decent country rankings.
Why do you force me to repeat myself again? What's your definition of a "big country"? Sweden has more active players than close to all of the ones I've listed, but sure as hell has a big issue with the country rank feature. I'm pretty sure said 100 players would be happy to have at least something to compare to.

This feature is to get rid of the issue for those who has it, including those who it works fine for is obviously nether necessary nor planned.

peppy wrote:

make a list of which countries should be grouped into regions where necessary
If it works for a country then that's great, but if it doesn't I see little reason for why you wouldn't want it. If you like comparing only to a select few you could just as well add them to your friendslist and filter that, leaving the feature available to those who want it.
Luvdic
Latin American Minorities:

Belice
Bolivia
Colombia
Costa Rica
Cuba
Ecuador
El Salvador
Guatemala
Haití
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panamá
Paraguay
Perú
República Dominicana
Uruguay
Venezuela

Around ~26k active players, not sure if that's too big, on which case it could be splitted in the following two:

South american minorities, around ~18k active players:

Bolivia
Colombia
Ecuador
Paraguay
Perú
Uruguay
Venezuela

Central America and the Caribbean, around ~8k active players

Belice
Costa Rica
Cuba
El Salvador
Guatemala
Haití
Honduras
Nicaragua
Panamá
República Dominicana

But then central america region will still have too few players
ethox
Finns are cool going on a lootfest together with the rest of the vikings. Poll I put up gave out a ratio of 2:1, a clear majority supports the idea.
Auxtrious
It's alright